Salmon Bake Worth the $$$???

Susiebell2

Since I have never been on a cruise or to Alaska, I want to know if it is really worth the money to attend one of the local Salmon Bakes? I have heard that most ships offer salmon daily on their menus. Is the salmon that fantastic at say the Taku Lodge or the Mendenhall Glacier? Would it be possible to get fabulous salmon at a restaurant on the inner passage ports? I would rather spend my money on more exciting excursions. I would appreciate your opinion.

We thoroughly enjoyed the Gold Creek salmon bake at Juneau following our trip to Mendenhall Glacier last year. The food was wonderful. Even DH enjoyed the meal and he doesn't like salmon--he ate ribs and chicken. Also, it was an absolutely gorgeous day to sit outdoors and eat wonderful food. On our cruise later this month we plan to go to a salmon bake at Sitka after a tour of the area. Yes, it's expensive, but Hey! it's Alaska--everything's expensive. :D

we also did the one in Juneau and I think everyone should do a bake at least once. It sure was melt in your mouth salmon. Maybe you can wait until you get there to sign up because it isn't fun in the rain.:D

The Gold Creek Salmon Bake is hat all the cruise lines use and as a first time cruiser and first time to Alaska I will say it is a lot of fun. We have done it twice most recently this past June. Now while it is fun, and actually very beautiful up where they hold this the quality of the salmon is actually very poor. Yes it is fresh but it is very dry most likely Farm raised quickly not allowing for any of the fats to build up in the salmon giving it that very moist teture that good fresh salmon can have. I actually though the salmon being served in the Lido while we were in Juneau was far tastier than that at the Salmon Bake both times we went. Don't get me wrong it is eatable but not overly tasty. The best part of the Gold Creek Salmon Bake is the Blue Berry Cake and roasting marshmellows:D

2238019490028362306xksPeL_th.jpg

click picture to enlarge

In Juneau we went independently to the Thane Ore House for their Salmon Bake. It included delicous salmon done on the gril; delicious beer battered halibut; ribs (didn't try them since I didn't want to waste room on something I can get at home; a wonderful salad bar, and honestly can't remember a desert, but I know I woudn't have had room for it! the best part is that if someone doesn't want the all you can eat version, you can order off the menu.

If you go to the building where the tram is located, there is a visitors center that will call the folks at the Thane Ore House. They will come pick you up and after the meal take you back to the center of town.

Since I have never been on a cruise or to Alaska, I want to know if it is really worth the money to attend one of the local Salmon Bakes? I have heard that most ships offer salmon daily on their menus. Is the salmon that fantastic at say the Taku Lodge or the Mendenhall Glacier? Would it be possible to get fabulous salmon at a restaurant on the inner passage ports? I would rather spend my money on more exciting excursions. I would appreciate your opinion.

My DH and I just returned from our Carnival cruise to AK and we took the Taku Glacier Lodge Flight & Feast trip via floatplane. I HIGHLY recommend it! We, of course, had the best weather so the floatplane ride which took us over some of the most beautiful glaciers and breathtaking sceenery (I could go on forever) made this our favorite excursion. Once we arrived at the lodge, we had some time to take many photos especially of the 1,800 foot tall by more than a mile wide glacier right there by the lodge (wow!), walk around the grounds, visit the gift shop, sit on the porch swing/chairs, go inside and take a seat for our BBQ'd Alaska King Salmon feast (and I mean feast!) which was interupted by the black bears getting on top of the BBQ grill, so we all went outside to take pictures of them. We finished our Salmon feast which was the best salmon I have ever tasted and there were seconds available. The staff was so nice. We took a guided educational walking tour which passed by a beautiful waterfall. Just beware of the Alaska State Bird........the mosquito. The lodge provides bugspray. My DH still got bit, but I didn't get not one bite. We all laughed when one bear was scratching his behind on a tree stump. We got some really good photos of the glaciers from the floatplane ride there and back. Unless, your excursion gets cancelled due to weather, if you book this excursion you won't be dissapointed.:)

My DH and I just returned from our Carnival cruise to AK and we took the Taku Glacier Lodge Flight & Feast trip via floatplane. I HIGHLY recommend it! We, of course, had the best weather so the floatplane ride which took us over some of the most beautiful glaciers and breathtaking sceenery (I could go on forever) made this our favorite excursion. Once we arrived at the lodge, we had some time to take many photos especially of the 1,800 foot tall by more than a mile wide glacier right there by the lodge (wow!), walk around the grounds, visit the gift shop, sit on the porch swing/chairs, go inside and take a seat for our BBQ'd Alaska King Salmon feast (and I mean feast!) which was interupted by the black bears getting on top of the BBQ grill, so we all went outside to take pictures of them. We finished our Salmon feast which was the best salmon I have ever tasted and there were seconds available. The staff was so nice. We took a guided educational walking tour which passed by a beautiful waterfall. Just beware of the Alaska State Bird........the mosquito. The lodge provides bugspray. My DH still got bit, but I didn't get not one bite. We all laughed when one bear was scratching his behind on a tree stump. We got some really good photos of the glaciers from the floatplane ride there and back. Unless, your excursion gets cancelled due to weather, if you book this excursion you won't be dissapointed.:)

What a wonderful review of this excursion! We are doing this also and you made it sound heavenly. We want to hike around Mendenhall Glaciers a little first before we board our floatplane. Do you (or anyone) know the best way to get from Mendenhall to the place we need to be to board the floatplane?

De

In Juneau we went independently to the Thane Ore House for their Salmon Bake. It included delicous salmon done on the gril; delicious beer battered halibut; ribs (didn't try them since I didn't want to waste room on something I can get at home; a wonderful salad bar, and honestly can't remember a desert, but I know I woudn't have had room for it! the best part is that if someone doesn't want the all you can eat version, you can order off the menu.

If you go to the building where the tram is located, there is a visitors center that will call the folks at the Thane Ore House. They will come pick you up and after the meal take you back to the center of town.

Thanks for this suggestion:) I found their web site

http://www.thaneorehouse.com/index.html

I emailed them yesterday morning but have not heard back. I may call them in a few days if I do not. Tends to be commen of business in Alaska to not reply to emails;) But I do want to try this one, DH loves the Beer Battered Halibut and the price looks good as well as long as the fish is fresh and not previously frozen.

I second BEPREPARED's review. We were there July 13 this year. Tonight at dinner I made salmon from the cookbook I got when we were there. It was my favorite meal of our 13 day trip. Oh and I don't eat seafood so for salmon to be that high on my list is unusual. Huge homemade herb biscuits, sourdough rolls, cole slaw, homemade baked beans, cooked apples...awsome!!!!!

We are leaving September 8th for Anchorage and then get on the Island Princess on the 10th. I just read the comments about salmon however no one mentioned what type: King, Cooper River, Coho etc.

Also, was this cooked with alderwood?

Janice

Thanks for this suggestion:) I found their web site

http://www.thaneorehouse.com/index.html

I emailed them yesterday morning but have not heard back. I may call them in a few days if I do not. Tends to be commen of business in Alaska to not reply to emails;) But I do want to try this one, DH loves the Beer Battered Halibut and the price looks good as well as long as the fish is fresh and not previously frozen.

I would call them as they are probably too busy to answer emails! I looked at the web site, and trust me...it brought back great memories of great food served in a very friendly atmosphere!

My husband discouraged me from booking any of the excursion salmon bakes as he said ( a very dissenting opinion from all the previous) that is was institutional and mediocre food, comparatively. Granted his trip was a while ago.

Don't have any personal experience with that myself, just quoting what he said to me.

Archived