Questions - New England/Canada Cruise

mek

We're doing a 7 night Canada/New England on the Crown next month. 1st time we've ever done this itinerary. Is there anything different to expect on this cruise? I understand it may be cool and rainy/foggy, so I was wondering if there is a deck party. I would imagine it is similar to a Baltic cruise, which I have done. Any special tips would be appreciated.

Hi I live in Halifax, NS and I believe that you may have a stop here. I can tell you that this past week the temperature each day has been 30+ very hot. But our weather can certainly change quickly. As in previous years we are expecting a very warm Sept and beautiful but cooler October.

We have doene the Canada/New England cruise twice and what is a great help is the Ports of Call section of New England and Canada. There is a wealth of info there. Have a great cruise.

Marilyn

I did this cruise on the original Royal Princess back in September 1994. This was a great cruise. It went from Montreal to New York with stops in Quebec City, Halifax, St. Johns new Brunswick, Newport RI, Bar Harbour Maine, Boston and New York. Sailing past the Statute of Liberty was breathtaking. Would like to do this again.

Greetings,

My husband and I will be sailing to Canada/New England on the Crown on 9/22. We usually do Caribbean cruises, so I know just what to pack. Not sure what to take on this one!

We booked an excursion for each of the ports as we've never sailed on this itinerary before and wanted to get a good overview of each port. Sailed on the Crown last summer and it's a really wonderful ship.

I would take a little of everything. We sailed this cruise on the Grand in 2004 and are booked again on the Crown this year. We had rainy windy weather on the beginning of the cruise due to being in the tail end of Tropical Storm Nicole. We did bring long pants as well as shorts. We were able to wear the shorts in Bar Harbor. We did need the long pants for the other ports. Halifax still had the after effects of the storm so it was cool and rainy. In St. John's we did need a light jacket as well as Boston. Newport was sunny but very windy. It's more like an Alaska cruise for clothing than a Caribbean one. Have a great time.

As to what to wear on that cruise: I have taken a light jacket, long pants, turtlnecks; basically just layer. Always take an umbrella as sometimes you do get showers especially in Quebec and above Halifax. I have not taken shorts because it was never that warm but I guess you can always throw one in your suitcase. Both of our trips were in Oct. so what you can do si just watch the weather the week before and take it from there.

Marilyn

Hi I live in Halifax, NS and I believe that you may have a stop here. I can tell you that this past week the temperature each day has been 30+ very hot. But our weather can certainly change quickly. As in previous years we are expecting a very warm Sept and beautiful but cooler October.

Hi CB I have a cousin in Berwick. Our maternal Grandmother born in Hampton, New Brunswick and DH & I had the pleasure of visiting NS & NB about 5 years ago.

My husband and I will be sailing to Canada/New England on the Crown on 9/22. We usually do Caribbean cruises, so I know just what to pack. Not sure what to take on this one!

LOL -- go to the Alaska board and follow their advice -- but leave out the fur hat!

;)

We did that cruise as our first 5 years ago and loved it so much we did it again last Nov. The first time we did more of the Princess "tourist" type tours because we hadn't been to the area before. Last year we went off on our own more - with mandatory side trips to such places as our favorite place for clam chowder and a lobster bake etc :-)

The weather both times went from balmy to downright cold. I was standing outside trying to take a picture of the light house in Peggy's Cove and had to hang on to the building :-) But it was still wonderful.

One thing we did the second time was to take half the "cold weather" clothes we took the first time - and we still had too much. Being from Texas it's hard to believe we even had "too many" cold weather clothes :-)

Wish we were going with you!

I think "layering" is key word here . . a few long sleeve tops, a light jacket and perhaps a heavier one! Maybe some rain gear and definitely a small umbrella.

Thanks everyone for your advice. I'm still hoping the 9/22-9/29 trip provides us with an Indian Summer up there - where shorts and tshirts are appropriate!

MrsS471-

DH and I will be on the sailing just before yours (9/15). We are hoping for nice weather but we know it can be unpredictable. We both have several pairs of convertible pants (the kind with the zip-off legs). That way we can decide day-by-day whether to wear them as shorts or pants. We also each bought a nice rain jacket with a removable fleece liner. Gives us additional flexibility for the weather and we both needed a good rain jacket anyway. We were concerned about the total amount of luggage we will be taking because we are staying in the city for 2 days at the end of the cruise. We plan to carry our own luggage off the ship and we have pre-booked transportation with limited luggage space. By planning for layering, we will fit everything into one carry-on bag and one checked bag each.

and so am I. We are sailing on the GP sailing 18th Sept. However, I was in Taupo right in the middle of the North Island, NZ last weekend, and I doubt if it will get any colder than that. So I will take my thick fleecy trows and a warm jumper and the nice wool jacket I bought in Vancouver last year, woolly socks also from Canada and my walking shoes with vents and I now know I will be as warm as toast. Maybe the woolly gloves I bought in Alaska last year as well. Actually thinking back Taupo was colder than Alaska last Sept. Us people from warmer climes can be a bit soft :D

Val

and so am I. We are sailing on the GP sailing 18th Sept. However, I was in Taupo right in the middle of the North Island, NZ last weekend, and I doubt if it will get any colder than that. So I will take my thick fleecy trows and a warm jumper and the nice wool jacket I bought in Vancouver last year, woolly socks also from Canada and my walking shoes with vents and I now know I will be as warm as toast. Maybe the woolly gloves I bought in Alaska last year as well. Actually thinking back Taupo was colder than Alaska last Sept. Us people from warmer climes can be a bit soft :D

Val

You will definitely not need wool socks or gloves. Make sure you pack a pair of shorts as it can get quite warm in the afternoons in mid September. You will need a light jacket, light pants, and a sweater or sweatshirt to add underneath in the evenings. The temps run mid sixties to mid seventies during the day. However, it will be much colder at sea. The Bay of Fundy and the north Atlantic are cold at the best of times.

The other posters are cruising in Sept I believe, how about your area in late October. We will be on the Grand out of Quebec on Oct. 18th. I am planning for cool weather, am I right? Gloves and wool socks?

The other posters are cruising in Sept I believe, how about your area in late October. We will be on the Grand out of Quebec on Oct. 18th. I am planning for cool weather, am I right? Gloves and wool socks?

Bring the wool socks if they make you feel better but you honestly won't need them. Mid October brings temps in the low sixties during the day with probably fifties in the AM. Might even be a touch of early morning frost. However, if we get a so called "Indian Summer" which can happen about then the temps in the afternoon can approach 70. You will want a fall jacket (medium weight) with a sweater underneath for evenings. Back to the wool socks---I don't even wear them in the winter unless I am going skating or hiking.

Archived