Things to do in Seward

rhsjr

Ok, a long way off, but we are doing Millennium next July 4th southbound. We were thing about spending an extra day or 2 in Seward before the trip. What activities are in the area?

We spent 2 nights in Seward, but it was at the very end of our trip, following a northbound cruise to Whittier. We went on a 6-hour Kenai Fjords cruise, spent an hour at the Sealife Center, and on our way out of town, stopped at Exit Glacier. You could also hike, hike, kayak, and shop - but we did none of those things.

We are doing a land tour of Alaska in the future and have researched everything and read many posts on this sight--I agree with NancyIL--6 hour Kenai Fjords Tour, Sealife Center, and Exit Glacier around Seward. There also are some places near there where you could fish if you are interested. I have found the Alaska Vacation Planner helpful(travelalaska.com). I have many of the brochures for the attractions sitting right here by my computer--you can request these through the vacation planner. Now is the time to make plans for next summer!!

Also, the Seavey musher family has a kennel there that you can visit ("Ididaride"). It was interesting to see the dogs in action ("summer training" wheeled vehicles), plus we got to pet puppies!

You can easily fill two days in Seward. We spent a full day looking around(Exit Glacier, Ididaride, Sea Life Center), then we did a two-night, three-day kayaking expedition in Kenai Fjords.

I sent for info on Ididaride and have looked at their website. It looks like it would be fun! It actually is on my list to do as well as Kenai trip, Sealife Center, and Exit Glacier. There appears to be more to do between Seward and Anchorage than up in Fairbanks. We are going to fly to Anchorage and rent an RV(June 2009). Did a seven day Alaskan cruise in June of this year and we liked it so much, we decided to do a land trip.

Thanks for all the input. We did a 14 day cruisetour with Holland America last year and had a GREAT tour. Next year we are doing just the cruise as a get away after our daughters wedding (I think there will be money left!). Any recommendations as places to stay in Seward for the few days prior to the cruise?

Ok, a long way off, but we are doing Millennium next July 4th southbound. We were thing about spending an extra day or 2 in Seward before the trip. What activities are in the area?

Being that you want to go 2 days before 4th, I'd start looking for lodging and booking it now.

4th of July is huge in Seward as they run the Mount Marathon (basically they are racing up and down Mt. Marathon in Seward, so the majority of runners and such head down on the 3rd as they have their pre race meeting as well as the pre race dinner.

Lots to do in Seward as everyone has posted.

Susan in Anchorage :)

Archived