Choose as many as you like  

532 members have voted

1. 1. Choose as many as you like

• A good cruise director makes my cruise
    • Without a good cruise director my cruise is ruined
    • I see the cruise director on deck and around the ship a lot
    • I don't much care if I have one or not
    • I've never had a good one so I wouldn't know

[quote name='galelynn']Chris is on the Sapphire Princess, but only has one more cruise on there which ends in Sydney, Australia on March 9. From there the Patter said he was going to the Sea Princess. Hope this helps.[/QUOTE]
Nice to know Chris is still with Princess, but sorry to hear he won't be on the Star in March or the Grand in November. Maybe I can find him again one day on one of the ships we will be on.

• 2 weeks later...
We just got off the Sun. The CD was Graham. This was our fourth cruise (third on Princess) and this CD and his staff were very lackluster (except Mandy!). Most seemed bored, uninterested and unhappy.

However, we had a fabulous cruise!

jayne

Michael Mullane and wife Jennie, are awesome, I like watching them both do their thing, very funny and informative, I had the pleasure of being with Mr. Mullane 3 times now, once the Paradise and now twice on the Spirit, he will make you laugh, very nice and friendly I seen lots of Cruise Directors and I think that Michael Mullane is one of the Best.

I pulled out my 1998 Sun Princess Patters and saw that Kevin Cox was the CD. I remember that he had a British accent and seemed to be pleasant enough. Since it was my first cruise I didn't really pay that much attention to everything that was offered.We were with friends and were busy with them. Now we're considering returning to the Sun Princess in Sept (29th) and I'm finding myself wondering who the CD might be. I also enjoyed Barrington Brown on the grand piano in the atrium after dinner. Lynne

Billy Hygate was the CD on the Diamond Princess 14th Feb Mexican Riviera cruise and oh dear oh dear he was certainly not my cup of tea at all and i am British

Sadly the shows and performers in the theatre on the Diamond were pretty mediocre too
Other than one comic who was only on in the Explorers Lounge ......that was standing room only for both performances

What a pity they did not give him the theatre instead of the other lack lustre performers and so called comedians

• 1 month later...
David Cole is CD on the Island right now. He was terrific on our cruise on 4/4 and was very nice to the CC group. He is also very visible at almost every activity. He and his staff did a wonderful job. The entertainment and activities were plentiful and lots of fun. The CD and staff were all very friendly. I'm sorry we missed Richard Joseph, and hope to sail with him another cruise, and are also looking forward to sailing with David Cole again.

[color=Teal]Hi!
I've been looking for you everywhere!! We had computer crash and lost all the emails!!! I was afraid we had lost you! Hope you see this!! Wanted to see how your Hawaii trip was!!! Sure hope to cruise with you guys again! Great fun! Hope to hear back from you!!!!
Barbara and Rand :D
[/color]

You may or may not find this interesting. I thought it was kind of neat. We were doing the So. Caribbean several years ago on the Dawn Princess. Tim was our CD. He told us that when he was a boy that he was on the Love Boat series as the boy who hung out with the captains daughter. I posted this on a thread about the Love Boat and one poster said that there were several different ones, but anyway...

We are on the Caribbean Princess May 28th. Anyone know who will be the CD? It looks like the most recent cruisers on that ship say that it is James Lay(?).

Thanks,
Lori

[quote name='LifeIsCruising2']What do you think of them?[/QUOTE]
I just returned from the Island Princess yesterday, and I never realized before this how important the function of cruise director really is. Normally, I would have voted that the cruise director makes little difference in whether I have a good cruise or not. But that was because all of my past cruises were to Caribbean ports. On a Caribbean cruise, a great deal of your time is spent in port, so it's the ports that really make or break your cruise. If you can schedule fun things to do in port, see interesting sights, and just have a great time while there, you have a great cruise. Since you're in port so much, I would imagine the job of cruise director is not an awfully difficult one since there will only be a limited number of activities scheduled around the ship ... especially during the daytime.

But, my recent cruise on the Island Princess was a lot different. It was the last Hawaii run of the season, and over half of the 15 days of the cruise was spent at sea. I found that a good cruise director and staff is imperative to making such a cruise a memorable experience.

I have to say that David Cole and his crew went above and beyond. It would have been absolutely impossible to partake of all of the activities they had going around the ship on the average sea day. From 9:00 a.m. until the wee hours, there were always several things going on ... something for everyone's tastes. I've also noticed on other cruises that often you don't see very much of the cruise director him (or her) self. Usually the underlings are delegated to run most of the regular activities. Not so on the Island. David was literally everywhere. In fact, I even asked him ... "do you ever get to sleep?"

Also, David was very accommodating to our cruisecritics group and hosted a get-together for us (complete with champaign) on one of the first sea days on the way back from the islands. We also participated in several of the onboard events, such as the scrapheap challenge and the Kentucky Derby, and not too far into the cruise, he was greeting us by name.

So, I guess in the future, especially when booking cruises with lots of sea days, who the cruise director is on the particular ship will become an important factor in my booking decision ... because I can imagine that a lackluster cruise director and his/her staff could make for an awfully boring cruise in that situation. Thankfully, I can say that I was never bored for a minute on my cruise on the Island.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Really enjoyed Chris last year on the Diamond. So far we've had a great staffs Alistair, Chris and of course Gold Ole Stu as Assistant CD to both. Donna, Jacquie, Wenty and who can forget Peter. All great. I hope our luck continues on the Sun.

[quote name='sammiedawg']Any idea who is taking the Coral to Alaska this summer? Thanks[/QUOTE]

[b][font=Comic Sans MS][color=black]Wife and I will be taking the Coral to Alaska on 5/21 :D :D [/color][/font][/b]

[quote name='kryos']I just returned from the Island Princess yesterday, and I never realized before this how important the function of cruise director really is. Normally, I would have voted that the cruise director makes little difference in whether I have a good cruise or not. But that was because all of my past cruises were to Caribbean ports. On a Caribbean cruise, a great deal of your time is spent in port, so it's the ports that really make or break your cruise. If you can schedule fun things to do in port, see interesting sights, and just have a great time while there, you have a great cruise. Since you're in port so much, I would imagine the job of cruise director is not an awfully difficult one since there will only be a limited number of activities scheduled around the ship ... especially during the daytime.

But, my recent cruise on the Island Princess was a lot different. It was the last Hawaii run of the season, and over half of the 15 days of the cruise was spent at sea. I found that a good cruise director and staff is imperative to making such a cruise a memorable experience.

I have to say that David Cole and his crew went above and beyond. It would have been absolutely impossible to partake of all of the activities they had going around the ship on the average sea day. From 9:00 a.m. until the wee hours, there were always several things going on ... something for everyone's tastes. I've also noticed on other cruises that often you don't see very much of the cruise director him (or her) self. Usually the underlings are delegated to run most of the regular activities. Not so on the Island. David was literally everywhere. In fact, I even asked him ... "do you ever get to sleep?"

Also, David was very accommodating to our cruisecritics group and hosted a get-together for us (complete with champaign) on one of the first sea days on the way back from the islands. We also participated in several of the onboard events, such as the scrapheap challenge and the Kentucky Derby, and not too far into the cruise, he was greeting us by name.

So, I guess in the future, especially when booking cruises with lots of sea days, who the cruise director is on the particular ship will become an important factor in my booking decision ... because I can imagine that a lackluster cruise director and his/her staff could make for an awfully boring cruise in that situation. Thankfully, I can say that I was never bored for a minute on my cruise on the Island.

Blue skies ...

--rita[/QUOTE][b][font=Comic Sans MS][size=5][color=Purple]Hey Rita! Welcome home !!! We missed you :) Stop over at the [/color][/size][/font][/b][b][font=Comic Sans MS][size=5][color=Purple]HAL Westerdam - 10/29/06 boards and say Hi![/color][/size][/font][/b]

Sorry to hear that you are leaving Princess, Graham, we loved you and thought you were hysterical!!! Especially after some of the "stuffier" CDs we have experienced on other cruise lines, you were a breath of fresh air! :) Best of luck to you in future endeavours!

Cathy

[quote name='kryos']I have to say that David Cole and his crew went above and beyond. [/QUOTE] [font='Comic Sans MS']Couldn’t have said it better, Rita – I’m in total agreement. Not only did David and Company keep things busy, they were very good at what they did. This is certainly a top-notch crew. David’s turn in the Universe Lounge and the Ukelele (is that how you spell it) tune at one of the deck parties…when was the last time you saw a cruise director do that and continue to run a premier operation?[/font]

[quote name='Ziggy7'][b][font=Comic Sans MS][size=5][color=Purple]Hey Rita! Welcome home !!! We missed you :) Stop over at the [/color][/size][/font][/b][b][font=Comic Sans MS][size=5][color=Purple]HAL Westerdam - 10/29/06 boards and say Hi![/color][/size][/font][/b][/QUOTE]
Will do. And I also plan to call Julie on Monday and book ...

Blue skies ...

--rita

• 1 month later...
[quote name='scotia1']I read on another board that Graham was going over to RCCL, dont know if this true. I loved Graham on the Golden. I was hopeing he would be on the Crown next year.

HS.[/QUOTE]

Graham Seymour was the cruise director on my April 16th RCCL Splendour of the Seas cruise, and he was FABULOUS! I had no idea he was new to the ship...he seemed to fit in so well!

Archived