Did we tip the waiter too low?

We just got back from sailing on a Carnival cruise, loved it too! We were a party of 5 that dined everynight in the main diningroom. We tipped the main waiter $140.00 and the assistant--$80.00 on top of the pittance Carnival adds to the bill. I was wondering if we didn't tip enough? I felt bad because it seemed our waiter didn't receive anything from 2 of his 4 tables. He happened to be an excellent waiter. The gratuities that Carnival charges us just isn't enough for the service we received. This is our second cruise and I'm really not sure what is the appropriate amount to give.

The guidelines that Carnival gave you are what they consider acceptable; if that's what you gave, you have no reason to feel bad. You are not responsible for making up for the cheap-o's at the next table.

I too received fantastic service from my waiters on my last cruise, so I added a bit beyond the guidelines. You'll do the same next time, if they deserve it. :) But don't feel guilty about this one; you did the correct thing.

Since you have left the ship, it's a bit late to second-guess.

If you felt comfortable at that time, it was the right amount.

You do realize that the wait staff get anywhere from $1.50 to $3.50 from every pax at their assigned table. That's up to 40-50 pax a night. Do the math and you'll see why these guys are always smiling.

By the way, you do know that generous tip you gave was collected from your, and all other wait staff. The tips given to the room stewards are also collected. The tips are then "re-distributed" equally among the crew.

I had no idea the tips were "re-distributed." I'm not sure I like that idea. Some workers go above and beyond, others do not.

By the way, you do know that generous tip you gave was collected from your, and all other wait staff. The tips given to the room stewards are also collected. The tips are then "re-distributed" equally among the crew.

I don't believe that is accurate when it comes to Carnival. What you give directly to your stewards and servers on the last day is theirs to keep. I believe only the auto tips and other pre-paid tips are pooled.

The waiters also tip back to the food prep people in the kitchen. That have to do so in order to get their orders. If the waiters don't tip back, they get screwed up orders. They also have to tip back to their supervisors. They really don't make much money under the best of circumstances.

The tips you leave on your cards are pooled... the tips youpay in cash are kept by each individual.

If you remove the tip from your card the worker turns in the money to be pooled.

I don't believe that is accurate when it comes to Carnival. What you give directly to your stewards and servers on the last day is theirs to keep. I believe only the auto tips and other pre-paid tips are pooled.

I think you have it backward.:) The auto tips on the S&S account are theirs to keep.

If the auto tips are removed and they are tipped in person, they are honor bound to turn in those tips to be pooled.

If you leave the auto tips in place, and tip 'extra' on the last evening, those tips are also theirs to keep.

We tipped directly to our waiters, room steward and cocktail waitresses. We also left whatever gratuities Carnival takes out on the sign and sail card. The waiter was telling us they make next to nothing from the ship and rely on their tips, they have no health insurance either through Carnival. Any health care on the ship is very expensive. He did mention something like if someone requests not to leave a tip on their sign and sail card--they have to return cash tips they make. Also, if someone complains they might have to step down from their position.

We tipped directly to our waiters, room steward and cocktail waitresses. We also left whatever gratuities Carnival takes out on the sign and sail card. The waiter was telling us they make next to nothing from the ship and rely on their tips, they have no health insurance either through Carnival. Any health care on the ship is very expensive. He did mention something like if someone requests not to leave a tip on their sign and sail card--they have to return cash tips they make. Also, if someone complains they might have to step down from their position.

Just a side note, I hate when tipped employees talk about how other people tip and how little they make on the hour. I hope it was something your asked about and not something they just started talking about. I was a tipped employee for 10 years and was always uncomfortable when people asked how to tip, or what other people tipped or my hourly wage was. Tipping is a very personal thing. Sorry just my ranting...

Have a great day!

The way I read the original post, is the the OP tipped $140 and $80 over and above the auto tip that Carnival charges, thats an extra $28.00 per person for the waiter and and extra $16.00 per person for the assistant waiter. Sounds like a good additional tip to me

I was the original poster and we tipped the head waiter $140.00, assistant waiter, $80.00 and maitre'd $25.00 on top of the auto tip charges. The waiter was talking about his lack of health insurance and how he gets paid next to nothing. That's why I was wondering if I had tipped enough. He was talking about that after we handed him the envelope. He was a great waiter and I never asked anyone before what to tip. I think he got pissed when the table next to us tipped nothing. Some people think the auto tip is enough, I disagree. Most of the people on cruise ships work their butts off.

The way I read the original post, is the the OP tipped $140 and $80 over and above the auto tip that Carnival charges, thats an extra $28.00 per person for the waiter and and extra $16.00 per person for the assistant waiter. Sounds like a good additional tip to me

If I read correctly, you tipped the servers the regular tip plus what you listed, then you tipped over and above what most people will tip.

That others around you did not tip, or the amount they tipped is really no concern of yours. They could have just left what is charged on their seapass card and that is perfectly acceptable, not everyone can afford to add to that amount, nor should they feel bad for not doing so.

I have no idea why people will discuss the cruise ship employees wages and/or gratuities with them, it's really none of our business. I don't care for people to ask me what kind of pay I make, do you offer this information to strangers who ask you?

I'll also add that there are times when a tipped employee will give a sad sob story to try to increase their tipped income.

It's also none of my business what happens to the tips after we give them. I've worked in a hotel in a catering department and the tips were collected and distributed amongst all the workers. If that is what a particular cruise ship does, the workers are well aware of it and agree to work with those conditions.

I was the original poster and we tipped the head waiter $140.00, assistant waiter, $80.00 and maitre'd $25.00 on top of the auto tip charges. The waiter was talking about his lack of health insurance and how he gets paid next to nothing. That's why I was wondering if I had tipped enough. He was talking about that after we handed him the envelope. He was a great waiter and I never asked anyone before what to tip. I think he got pissed when the table next to us tipped nothing. Some people think the auto tip is enough, I disagree. Most of the people on cruise ships work their butts off.

In the end, tipping is a personal decision. You have to do what you think is best. Most people tip at least what the minimum recommendation is and other will tip more to varying levels. I don't make my decision based on what others do. I make it in terms of what I feel is right for us.

With that said, do be aware that some from some of the cruise lines will give you stories so that you feel bad for them and will tip more. I do not think this is right and some cruise lines actually frown on this.

Again, tip what you think is right and never second guess youself.

Keith

With that said, do be aware that some from some of the cruise lines will give you stories so that you feel bad for them and will tip more. I do not think this is right and some cruise lines actually frown on this.Keith

I know a crew member on carnival could be fired for doing that. Unless they are asked directly they are not supposed to talk about such things to passengers.

I was the original poster....The waiter was talking about his lack of health insurance and how he gets paid next to nothing....I think he got pissed when the table next to us tipped nothing....

As I understand it, the crew is looked after by the ship’s doctor while onboard. Between contracts I’m not sure.

As far as pay, the cash they earn is very little. But then they have no real living expenses since everything is paid for except for personal items. If the job is so bad, why are hundreds making applications each month.

As far as the next table stiffing the waiter, you should have been unaware of the entire situation.

As I understand it, the crew is looked after by the ship’s doctor while onboard. Between contracts I’m not sure.

As far as pay, the cash they earn is very little. But then they have no real living expenses since everything is paid for except for personal items. If the job is so bad, why are hundreds making applications each month.

As far as the next table stiffing the waiter, you should have been unaware of the entire situation.

My son worked on a cruise ship. He was a tour excursion manager. You are correct in saying that they are looked after by the ship's doctor while on contract.

When they are off contract they have no coverage from the cruiseline at all. It was a 4 month contract and 2 months off. Before they go back on contract they have a full medical exam done at the cruiselines expense.

As far as pay is, it is very little and yes, the living expenses are just personal items, but they reason the applications are being filled is because of travel. My son is now a world traveler and has been all over the globe and he didnt have to pay for the luxury. That is the reason he worked for the cruise industry, not the pay. It is a great job for a young person who is not married and wants to meet people and travel.

Just a side note, I hate when tipped employees talk about how other people tip and how little they make on the hour. I hope it was something your asked about and not something they just started talking about. I was a tipped employee for 10 years and was always uncomfortable when people asked how to tip, or what other people tipped or my hourly wage was. Tipping is a very personal thing. Sorry just my ranting...

Have a great day!

I was about to say the same thing: if a tipped employee started telling me such stories I would be inclined to leave even less. I know for those of us, living in America the pay offered the crew is peanuts, but we have to consider the country they call home and the cost of living in those places. Most of the crew does very well, why do you think they stay on the sips for so many years?

As for tipping above and beyond what is taken from the auto tipping on your room account? We do, normally leave more, but no one has to feel it is necessary. The OP mentioned a couple of the tables didn't give envalopes the last night. In many cases this is the situation. I can't understand people who do not tip or try to adjust downward the suggested amounts, but no one needs to feel it is necessary to tip more.

Nita

Archived