Bringing food to airport

lauren0309

Since we do not get served meals on our flight, and with alll the security issues, we were wondering if we can buy sandwiches at a deli on our way to the airport. I know we can't bring liquids over 3 oz. or bottled water but how does it pertain to food brought in or do we have to buy it in the terminal.

It might depend on the individual airport, but when I asked our TSA screener that question he smiled and said "Sandwiches are not liquids or gels--and I won't make you scrape the jelly off your PBJ". We saw several folks go through with food items, just not drinks.

I actually prefer bringing sandwhiches from home for flights for the following reasons:

1.) much cheaper than the typical airport Subway or Burger King outlet

2.) you don't have to wait in line at the airport food stand

3.) If you get delayed by long lines at check-in/security, you know that you'll still be able to eat when on board vs. fretting if you'll have time to grab something

4.) you control what's in your food

When packing a sandwich I just watch to make sure that there isn't too much moisture in it so the bread doesn't get soggy & that type of stuff.

And to get around the no water past security hassle, I just bring an empty water bottle (nothing against that, YET) and then just fill it up at a water fountain past security.

Voila! Lunch is served.

And to get around the no water past security hassle, I just bring an empty water bottle (nothing against that, YET) and then just fill it up at a water fountain past security.

Had empty water bottles seized at both Tokyo (NRT) and Singapore (SIN) in the past year. Domestically, I have found that a 400ml Nalgene works great and have had no problems.

As for the empty water bottle ... there is no ban on empty plastic bottles being carried thru a checkpoint. Here's the drill that I follow, without incident, at least twice a week at ORD: take the cap off the bottle and place that in carryon or jacket pocket, then place the empty bottle in the bin with shoes, purse, ziploc with allowable liquids/gels, etc. If TSA were to spot a container, empty or not, in your carryon they might do a hand-search of the bag. Displaying the bottle freely prevents that hand-search delay.

Mom had a chicken sandwich taken away at O'Hare's security checkpoint. I guess it depends on the airport and the individual screener.

Sounds like a TSA screener doesn't know the rules.

Jeeze, now that's a surprise.

I've carried on wrapped granola type bars with no problem. I'd have to think about the sandwich thing. If it didn't have any kind of spreads on it, I'd assume any TSA would let it thru. If it was a salad type filling, I could see some agent questioning it, whether right or wrong.

Sounds like a TSA screener doesn't know the rules.

Jeeze, now that's a surprise.

You're surprised that some TSA's aren't aware of rules???? LOL !!!! Last year one TSA agent tore apart mom's wallet and asked her why she was carrying so many $100 bills. Like that's a question for TSA? That's more for Custom's officials to handle----btw, mom was on her way to Las Vegas.

I've taken a spicy garlic chicken bento (with rice, sauce, and other goodies) through the checkpoint. It sure tasted good on the plane and I think some of the flight attendants were jealous. :rolleyes:

Pete

We have never had a problem bringing sandwiches, or bagels and cream cheese from home and empty water bottles. When I first tried this after last year's updated security restrictions were imposed, I asked a TSA agent about it. I was told that it was OK to leave everything in my traveling purse. I guess the agents manning the x-ray machines can tell what is food and empty bottles. So we've been traveling this way ever since without any questions.

Last summer we stopped at Walmart prior to going to the airport for a hoagie and a container of butter, which had to be larger than 3 oz. We were passed through security at FLL airport without incident. I did declare the butter though, by putting the unopened continer in the container going through x-ray.

I wish I had an explanation for why it works sometimes and not other times.

Mary

Archived