No Trays-why Why Why?

swimsimcoe

I did bring a tray with me from home though for when I wanted breakfast on the balcony. It is way to difficult to juggle coffee and breakfast for both me and my fiance without a tray.

Good idea. Trays will pack very flat in your suitcase.

DON

If memory serves me correct...RCCL had oversized plates and Princess also were a little larger and oval. I think what made them easier to handle is that they were lightweight plastic. When on the Spirit, it was more difficult because they were regular sized round and made of china. Didn't really bother me, except when trying to hold the napkin and utensils along with a plate and drink when my table was farther away. Found if I had a pocket...that helped with that being a utensil holder.

I was just on the pride of America and there were no trays and absolutely noone there to help you carry anything even pushing my child in a stroller. This is the first cruise I have been on where you did not get any help even when you really needed it.

We like to eat a light breakfast on our balcony and that means we need a tray to carry it all down. Solution: order anything from room service the first day, hide the tray from your room steward and then use it when you need to bring stuff back to your room. Easy, cheesy. :D

If you bring your own try to the buffet, will they let you use it? We sailed on the Star last August, and not having a tray at the buffet would have really soured me on an otherwise great vacation. It makes eating a meal way to much work.

The first NCL ship to discontinue the trays was the Jewel 2 years ago. At first it never even dawned on us. We just went along with the oversized plates. A day or so after the cruise started someone made a comment. That is when realized: NO TRAYS. It certainly didn't faze us. Yes, the crew will help carry plates for those who have trouble manouvering.

Nita

I had to laugh at this post because we have been on 3 cruises and I have absolutely NO clue whether there were trays at the buffet.

That said, I do have one thing to say about the buffets. I am embarrassed by the amount of food that people put on their plates at the buffets and don't eat. I was raised in a large family, and I was taught that you do not take more than you will eat! I know that sometimes you will take something and don't like it, but that's understandable. If someone is still hungry after they eat, they can always go and get more. It is not necessary to heap those plates up, and leave so much to be thrown away. Sorry, I will get off of my soapbox now.:rolleyes:

I don't mind not having trays at places like Golden Corral or Old Country Buffet, where they have multiple food stations. (Different food stations for soup/salad, entrees/sides, beverage, specialty, dessert.) But when there are lines like on most ships, a tray is very helpful, especially when it's busy.

Never been stopped yet. But once' date=' the room steward did find it and we had to order room service again to get a new one. After that, we hid it better. :D[/quote']

I bought a tray when we docked in Bermuda. Best $4.95 I spent! Not only did I use it that week and have it for future cruises, I use it everday at home and it puts me right back on the pool deck.

Another way to "Skin The Cat"...The ice bucket in your room is on a tray. Use that.

I had to laugh at this post because we have been on 3 cruises and I have absolutely NO clue whether there were trays at the buffet.

That said, I do have one thing to say about the buffets. I am embarrassed by the amount of food that people put on their plates at the buffets and don't eat. I was raised in a large family, and I was taught that you do not take more than you will eat! I know that sometimes you will take something and don't like it, but that's understandable. If someone is still hungry after they eat, they can always go and get more. It is not necessary to heap those plates up, and leave so much to be thrown away. Sorry, I will get off of my soapbox now.:rolleyes:

I agree...I was raised in a large family also. Waste not...want not!

We do not patronize buffets....mainly for that reason;)

If you need more food...walk up and get it...it is not going anywhere!

If you need more food...walk up and get it...it is not going anywhere!

I agree. There's not much difference in carrying a plate and carrying a tray.

I have not had any problem with buffet lines on any cruise. It can take a while to go from one end to the other, but when going back for seconds (if something I ate was worthy of another round) I usually just grab a new plate and go straight for the section I am interested in. It's not rude since people often leave big gaps in the line and you can just slide in and get a helping.

Bringing a tray from home may work for those people intent on eating in the cabin, but that is just too much work for me! I will eat where there is a nice big table to sit at!

DOES ANYONE KNOW THE REASON-READ IT ON CRUISE CRITIC REVIEW-WHY NCL HAS DISCONTINUED USING TRAYS AT THE BUFFET?DON'T KNOW IF IT IS ALL SHIPS?

i AM SO LOOKING FORWARD TO JUGGLING MY DRINK,SALAD,HOT DISH.WHAT ARE THEY THINKING?

READ THAT ONE LADY BROUGHT HER OWN.NOW DO I HAVE TO PACK A TRAY AND CARRY IT AROUND ALL DAY.

I KNOW I HAVE TO PACK A BATHING SUIT BUT THIS IS GOING A BIT FAR.

Like everyone else, NCL found away of cutting costs. The logic here

is that they feel that by eliminating trays, you cant load up on foods.

Thus less food on the tray less waste & less to eat at a sitting.

I don't mind not having trays at places like Golden Corral or Old Country Buffet, where they have multiple food stations. (Different food stations for soup/salad, entrees/sides, beverage, specialty, dessert.) But when there are lines like on most ships, a tray is very helpful, especially when it's busy.

ITA! my dh is legally blind plus i have a small child. for me, it is very helpful. there isn't just a plate of food to carry, there is food, drinks, silverware, straws, condiments, etc. then if someone wants more of something it's left up to me to get bak on line and start the whole thing over. i can get my son to help, but he's not very steady with carrying stuff yet.

this is why we mainly sit in the dining room. i can actually eat at the same time as the rest of the family! we also found room service to be much less stressful for us even with the trays on CCL

... I do have one thing to say about the buffets. I am embarrassed by the amount of food that people put on their plates at the buffets and don't eat. .... It is not necessary to heap those plates up, and leave so much to be thrown away. ...:rolleyes:

I noticed on one of our recent cruises a table of 'full figured' ladies and how much they could pile on the plate. At breakfast, they each had at least 10 pieces of bacon, 6-8 sausage links,4-5 pancakes and other assorted items. And each had TWO plates of stuff. I was amazed at their ability to pile it so high.

I can not imagine how much food they would have piled on if they had trays.

By the way, we have done two cruises without trays and seem to eat just fine.

When I read this thread, I thought "Did we have trays on the Dream in June?"

We don't remember having trays and it didn't cross our minds till we read this.

I certainly don't remember having to dispose of the trays before eating and they weren't lying around for people to trip over.

We do remember returning to the buffet to have something else if we wanted it and drinking a cup of coffee while it was still fresh and hot. Returning to the buffet was easier as there were not long line of people loading up like the Last Chance Saloon

In hindsight it was much more civilised and made the dining experience feel a lot less like a cafeteria.

In short, it was not a problem.

Mind you, you must remember that the Sports Bar Grill on the Dream is woefully undersized for the ship.But Trays were not the problem there

How many of us here have been to a wedding or some other occasion where there was a buffet during the cocktail hour or for the main meal? Well...I have and not once did I have a tray and guess what? I managed as did the other guests. This is NOT a big deal and is absolutely more sanitary and a better us of resources all around.

And for the folks who need help, it has been documented here ad nauseum (mmm...maybe a poor choice of words but describes the situation perfectly) that there are NCL staffers there, ready, willing and able to assist. And remeber there is ALWAYS the option of going to the standard restaurant too.

BTW - before the flames begin, I've been one of those folks who needed help - I was using a cane for over a year...I cannot count the number of times people came to help me WITHOUT my asking.

'Nuff said.

Ciao and happy crusiing,

WaWW PPC929

I noticed on one of our recent cruises a table of 'full figured' ladies and how much they could pile on the plate. At breakfast, they each had at least 10 pieces of bacon, 6-8 sausage links,4-5 pancakes and other assorted items. And each had TWO plates of stuff. I was amazed at their ability to pile it so high.

It amazes me too. That stuff they have for breakfast is usually the same thing every day, and it is not that great. The bacon was usually really greasy. How anyone could eat a big load of that stuff is beyond me. I usually get half a grapefruit, coffee, maybe a danish, and a slice or two of the bacon. DW likes the cereal, and we both get juice.

I can not imagine how much food they would have piled on if they had trays.

I honestly am amazed that you:

a) stared at and an assessed how much other passengers ate

b) commented on it here

c) threw in a little slam about how much they might eat if they had trays.

I am not a "full-figured" person but I find no reason to comment on those whe might be in this category. If it were not for good metabolism I would be right there with them.

I would not have put it that way at all, but there is some truth to the "revolting" sentiment.

I have a co-worker who I eat lunch with regularly, and he is well into the 300's. I never see him order more than anyone else.

But I have indeed seen people with insane amounts of food on the plate, and I have to wonder what are those people thinking?

I would not have put it that way at all, but there is some truth to the "revolting" sentiment.

I have a co-worker who I eat lunch with regularly, and he is well into the 300's. I never see him order more than anyone else.

But I have indeed seen people with insane amounts of food on the plate, and I have to wonder what are those people thinking?

My husband is a twig and he eats HUGE amounts of food.

My husband is a twig and he eats HUGE amounts of food.

Yeah... did you see the guy who won the hot-dog eating contest? He was tiny! I guess some people are just built different. Still, that could not have been a pleasant experience, eating all that stuff.

Archived