Pre-Tipping; Yes or No?!!

ScrappyCruiser

We're leaving on a cruise in a week (to Alaska) and I thought I would ask for opinions from the experienced cruisers here. Do you tip your room steward at the beginning of the cruise? And if so, how much? Does it make a difference in the service you get? I don't have a clue, so thought someone here might be able to help. Thanks, I appreciate your input!

I have never tipped a room steward/stewardess at the beginning of a cruise and have always gotten wonderful service. I don't think it makes a difference. The only person I tipped a couple of times ahead of time was the Matre D' as we needed a different table than what was assigned.

Keith

Hi,

The last time we attempted to tip our room steward when we boarded, he refused the tip! Some say it is insulting to some cultures that we think we need to tip in advance to get good service. Others always tip in advance. So, guess it's up to you.... We no longer tip in advance, but do tip individually for extra service that is above and beyond the call of duty and always tip more than the suggested amount at the end of the cruise those who have provided exceptional service over the course of the cruise.

I don't think I would ever tip in advance. If exceptional service is received, we do tip in addition to the suggested amount. We have always added a little something. To me tipping prior to service is somewhat an insult to the person and a suggestion that you are paying him/her to be nice or whatever. That is just my thoughts. Everyone has their own way of doing things. YOu have to do what's best for you!

I read here so many times about people who pre-tip and think they are getting exceptional service because of it. Then, they list the things they get, such as ice twice a day (even in their own cooler) turn down service, chocolates on the pillow at night, room tidied several times at day, etc... A heads up - everyone gets this same service, even the jerks (:rolleyes: ) who don't leave a tip at the end of the cruise.

The only time we have given any extra gratuity during the cruise was once when our cabin attendant went out of her way to find us robes to use (we weren't entitled to them and asked as a favor). Then, another time when we left our cabin so late in the morning our attendant had to work over his schedule. Had we known we were forcing him to work extra, we would certainly have vacated the cabin. Even though we gave him extra cash, we felt terrible about his added half hour of work.

So, don't feel compelled to tip in advance, but do give generously at the end of the cruise if you feel you have been well taken care of :)

If you were at a restaurant ... would you tip the wait person before he/she had the opportunity to demonstrate how exceptional his/her services are?

oooooops ... guess dforeigner and I were posting at the same time.

I tipped according to the suggested amount before the cruise so that when all the bills came in from the actual cruise I wouldn't be so strapped. I then gave additional cash tips to everyone at the end of the cruise

I was planning on doing this again for my March cruise, so that by January the cruise would be paid for including tips, then in February buy my airline tickets and in April get the bills for hotels, shore excursions and other purchases.

Is it really frowned upon as "pre-purchasing" good service?

I tipped according to the suggested amount before the cruise so that when all the bills came in from the actual cruise I wouldn't be so strapped. I then gave additional cash tips to everyone at the end of the cruise

I was planning on doing this again for my March cruise, so that by January the cruise would be paid for including tips, then in February buy my airline tickets and in April get the bills for hotels, shore excursions and other purchases.

Is it really frowned upon as "pre-purchasing" good service?

I think what you are talking about is arrangiing to pre purchase the recommended tips which the cabin and restaurant staff will receive at the end of the cruise. That is different than handing someone money right at the beginning of the cruise.

Keith

On my 1st cruise I gave the cabin steward $20 the first day & introduced myself. Everything was fabulous.

Second cruise I didn't pre-tip -- no towel animals, hard to get towels at all, never saw the people.

Last cruise, again forked over $20 up front, service was amazing.

Also when I get my 1st drink at the pool bar (usually my favorite) I tip about $10 in cash & introduce myself. I've had bartenders hand me my drink over the top of other people's heads. Hey it's gets hot out there. . . :)

We're leaving on a cruise in a week (to Alaska) and I thought I would ask for opinions from the experienced cruisers here. Do you tip your room steward at the beginning of the cruise? And if so, how much? Does it make a difference in the service you get? I don't have a clue, so thought someone here might be able to help. Thanks, I appreciate your input!

I did at the beginning of our last cruise. It was our first trip and I told our steward that I was going to be needing her help and asking lots of questions. And I did! She was wonderful throughout the whole trip! I gave her a generous cash tip at the end of the cruise too. She was very grateful to receive both. Did it get me better service? I don't know but I felt it was the right thing to do.

The only person I tipped a couple of times ahead of time was the Matre D' as we needed a different table than what was assigned.
Just out of curiosity, would you be willing to share how much you tipped, and for what type of change? Thanks!

As a bartender, if I get pre-tipped, I feel uncomfortable. So I doubt we will be doing that. I don't know how they feel as stewards, though.

Why? As a former bartender I always paid more attention to the people who gave me a good tip up front / after the 1st drink b/c I always knew if i took care of them all night, they'd take care of me at the end of the night. Sure beats bustin' your hump for somebody who gives you you a small tip at the end after getting great service.

To me a better name for a pre-tip is a bribe. I believe in rewarding good service afterward...... not try to buy it up front.

On my 1st cruise I gave the cabin steward $20 the first day & introduced myself. Everything was fabulous.

Second cruise I didn't pre-tip -- no towel animals, hard to get towels at all, never saw the people.

Last cruise, again forked over $20 up front, service was amazing.

Also when I get my 1st drink at the pool bar (usually my favorite) I tip about $10 in cash & introduce myself. I've had bartenders hand me my drink over the top of other people's heads. Hey it's gets hot out there. . . :)

Your middle experience probably didn't have anything to do with the pre-tip and was an individual thing. On a number of cruises we've not had towel animals, not all cruise lines do them, not all cabin attendants make them, they are cute but not a necessity for us.

To us, it's nice to have a good relationship with the cabin attendant, but if we don't see them, no big deal. They can be very busy people, we've never come back to an unkempt cabin. Good service is different for everyone. We appreciate service that is a bit less intrusive than some people do. For some, if they don't see and speak with the attendant several times a day, they feel left out of something. We just love the pampering of coming back to a tidy cabin and a chocolate on the pillow at night.

I'd be most embarrassed if a bartender served me before people who were waiting ahead of me, I'm always willing to wait my turn. Or, it could be those people in front of you have already been served.

We have tipped our favorite bartender or bar server an extra $10-15....at the end of the week for great service and attention.

To me a better name for a pre-tip is a bribe. I believe in rewarding good service afterward...... not try to buy it up front.

Whether it's accurate or not I was taught that TIPS is an acronym for To Insure Prompt Service. It's not a bribe but a promise. The tipper is just making the promise first.

In the end, it is an invidual choice.

Whether it's accurate or not I was taught that TIPS is an acronym for To Insure Prompt Service. It's not a bribe but a promise. The tipper is just making the promise first.

In the end, it is an invidual choice.

Where is the promise? In my mind the expectation for "extra" service has been set. When giving that "promise" do you then follow it up with extra at the end of the cruise.

I to believe it is an individual choice, and my choice (for waiters / stewards) is to see the level of service ........and then reward it.

Why? As a former bartender I always paid more attention to the people who gave me a good tip up front / after the 1st drink b/c I always knew if i took care of them all night, they'd take care of me at the end of the night. Sure beats bustin' your hump for somebody who gives you you a small tip at the end after getting great service.

As a current bartender, I also do that, but it still makes me feel awkward (appreciative, but uncomfortable). I know, I'm weird. :)

When I cruise with kids I pre-tip $20 to the cabin steward. It seems as though I always have an excuse- beds are in the wrong configuration, I need an egg crate mattress, that kind of thing- but I always look him right in the eye with a sort of humorous "HELP" look and it is immediately understood.

What I see when I walk down the hallways is unbelievable. Babies eating in the middle of the rug, clothes everywhere- I mean EVERYWHERE, kids jumping on beds... and we all can tell stories of the messes we have seen in the buffet restaurants from kids whose parents either don't care or are too exhausted to do anything to stop them. I'm sure when my CCL Elation cabin steward looked at me, a woman alone with four boys in a quad cabin for a week, he thought "OH NO." To be handed a $20 and an appreciative word on embarkation day- how can that be insulting or wrong?

When I cruise with kids I pre-tip $20 to the cabin steward. It seems as though I always have an excuse- beds are in the wrong configuration, I need an egg crate mattress, that kind of thing- but I always look him right in the eye with a sort of humorous "HELP" look and it is immediately understood.

What I see when I walk down the hallways is unbelievable. Babies eating in the middle of the rug, clothes everywhere- I mean EVERYWHERE, kids jumping on beds... and we all can tell stories of the messes we have seen in the buffet restaurants from kids whose parents either don't care or are too exhausted to do anything to stop them. I'm sure when my CCL Elation cabin steward looked at me, a woman alone with four boys in a quad cabin for a week, he thought "OH NO." To be handed a $20 and an appreciative word on embarkation day- how can that be insulting or wrong?

Yikes :eek: You're lucky he couldn't call in sick :D

I find it unbelievable when people write to ask if they have to tip for children, or do they have to tip the same amount as adults! In these scenarios, the crew should be tipped double!

I don't think of it as insulting or a bribe, it's just not always necessary. To ask to go above and beyond can be a different story altogether.

The TIPS post earlier (to insure prompt service) I've always thought of as innacurate. With this thinking everyone would tip ahead of time, then if you have rotten service what recourse do you have? Good service isn't always prompt service. We love to linger over dinner, a cocktail and such. Sometimes too much interference from a server makes us feel as though they want us to leave. If the server comes with the entree before we've finished our appetizers, I don't think of it as good service, I feel as though we're being rushed.

I actually prefer to think of tips as a gratuity, a gift given for the appreciation of fine service. Not a bribe nor an insult.

Archived