Good for September wedding?

Jane110

Hi all,

Would like some opinions....

I'm attending a wedding the 1st week of Sept. The ceremony will take place on a roof top, downtown and I'm really stumped as to what to wear.

So I went shopping today and bought this jacket and tank top. NOT in this blue, but in Acid green. (and not the pants....too much!). Sorry, no pic of the right color on the web.

http://www.neimanmarcus.com/store/catalog/prod.jhtml?itemId=prod43060031&parentId=cat12150754&masterId=cat000036&index=6&cmCat=cat000000cat000001cat000009cat000034cat000036cat12150754

Or here it is if you can find it:

http://www.danabuchman.com/dblife_collection.html

Click on "preview collection" and then go to outfit # 14, says shantung jacket.

What do you think of this for the Noon ceremony? I'd wear it with either black dressy pants or soft skirt and then either gold sandals or black shoes - depending on weather. It could be a hot, sunny day or it could be chilly and fall-like. Sept weather is so fickle.

Honestly, it's a little too conservative for me, but the color is so pretty and I don't want to look funky or sexy for an afternoon wedding. Oh and I tried it with a bronze metal belt which look nice so it wasn't so shapeless, and that's an option too.

The bride is wearing a vintage beaded flapper style dress to the ceremony.

I'm all set for the evening. Black gown, easy!

Thanks for opinions!

I think it would be perfect for the wedding. I have a similar outfit only in the cranberry colour..I like the monochromatic "look" so the entire outfit is in the same color. The pants are lined so it has cut down on the wrinkling that Shantung silk can often do. I wore dark navy accessories with it and to my surprise it was perfect.

If you are wearing a bronze belt perhaps coordinating the shoes to match might be nice.

I think I remember you said you are a "red-headed" lass so I imagine the acid green is beautiful on you!:)

Jane110, you have such great taste, I'm surprised you are asking for advice :)

I think a jacket over a top is a great idea, you will be prepared for either type of weather. With your hair and skin (from descriptions here) I think the color will look smashing on you!

I just got the Neiman Marcus sale catalogue yesterday, love it, too pricey for me. At my house we call it "Needless Markups". If only those lotter numbers would come through ;)

Karen,

Yes, I am a red head and with my pale skin and dark eyes, the weird greens (olive, acid, chartreuse) look well on me.

If I wear the bronze belt, I'll wear black (not gold) shoes. But I'm not going to look for bronze shoes.

Caviargal - Thanks, glad you like it. I'm always in town over the Xmas holiday's. GREAT that you're coming! :)

RI Sailor - Thanks. Sept is soooo tough. I told the bride that her date is causing too many fashion nightmares! LOL!

Jane110, you have such great taste, I'm surprised you are asking for advice :)

I think a jacket over a top is a great idea, you will be prepared for either type of weather. With your hair and skin (from descriptions here) I think the color will look smashing on you!

I just got the Neiman Marcus sale catalogue yesterday, love it, too pricey for me. At my house we call it "Needless Markups". If only those lotter numbers would come through ;)

Happy Ks,

Thanks for the compliment. I do feel like I have good taste, but it's often easier to help others. Honestly, until I found the outfit yesterday, I was really in a tizz about what to wear. I think mostly because of the date of the wedding. If it were in October, I wouldn't be asking. Sept can be 100 degree's or 50. And to be honest, I hate summer fashions when they involve more than a pair of linen pants and a tee w/ sandals. So anytime I have to be dressed up (but not formal) in summer clothes I get wigged out. That's why I asked for feedback. It's hard for me to be objective for myself.

The term Needless Mark-Up doesn't come from your house, sorry. It's been around for years. :) However, the truth is, on a same-item basis, you'll often find Macy's to be about $2.00 higher on each piece than NM.

The good news is that the blue color is the latest Fall incarnation of the same outfit. The green that I bought is from the summer collection and I got it for 30% off! Same exact fabric, different (and IMO better) color, better price. :D

Sounds really cool!

I was to one in the 70s and it was the neatest thing!! The couple is still married!! (1972)..!!

The outfit sounds perfect.!

(I would LOVE the entire ensemble in black for myself!)

September weather IS weird. If it's really hot, you can always take the jacket off....

Have fun.....

Pam

Happy Ks,

The term Needless Mark-Up doesn't come from your house, sorry. It's been around for years. :D

Oh, I'm well aware of that! It's what everyone around here calls the store. We only have one in our area, in Fashion Island Newport Beach. It's a lovely place to have lunch.

I once had a client who bought all her childrens clothing there, I think she spent more money on their clothing than we did on housing!

But, I have people who tell me my Nordstom shopping is too expensive. I find their prices to be the same (for what I buy) the same or a couple $ less than other department stores. I prefer their service and the layout of the store to others here.

Jane110,

Hi. I love the acid green and agree with you about the belt adding shape.

The bride's gown and the setting sounds lovely.

Our wedding was in the middle of September and here we are still having very warm days and mild evenings.

:)

I have a similiar pantsuit in that same color but the pants are capris. I paired the jacket with a navy silk crinkled skirt and a teal lace camisole back in the spring on Easter week.

I thought the jacket very pretty and dressy but like many I just do not feel capris are dressy enough but I got a great price on the set so I bought it-I may wear the capris sometime but as I said never to anything I considered semiformal or formal ofcourse.

Jane I bet you would look good in that green color but I call that color granny apple green not acid green-I just don't like the idea of of "acid green".

I love Meg in the teal shown-her eyes look really blue when she wears teal but I know you said your eyes are brown so the other green is probally better on you. If you have green flecks in your eyes that color would bring them out.

Karen,

Yes, I am a red head and with my pale skin and dark eyes, the weird greens (olive, acid, chartreuse) look well on me.

If I wear the bronze belt, I'll wear black (not gold) shoes. But I'm not going to look for bronze shoes.

! LOL!

Love the idea of a bronze belt. That will really take the outfit from summer to early fall.

I have a similiar pantsuit in that same color but the pants are capris. I paired the jacket with a navy silk crinkled skirt and a teal lace camisole back in the spring on Easter week.

I thought the jacket very pretty and dressy but like many I just do not feel capris are dressy enough but I got a great price on the set so I bought it-I may wear the capris sometime but as I said never to anything I considered semiformal or formal ofcourse.

I'd never wear a pair of capri pants, anytime or any place. But for those that do wear them, I agree with you that they make an any outfit look more casual and so not approariate for a wedding. However, I did say that I didn't buy the pants in that outfit - maybe you didn't see that. I don't even recall if the pants were regular or cropped length - doesn't matter, I think it would be too matronly looking to have the jacket, tank and pant all matchy, matchy. Works for a crisp business suit in gabardine, but not in silk shantung.

Jane I bet you would look good in that green color but I call that color granny apple green not acid green-I just don't like the idea of of "acid green".

Thanks for the compliment, however, it's nothing like apple green. It's definitely an acidy/bronze-y green.

Love the idea of a bronze belt. That will really take the outfit from summer to early fall.

Thanks. I agree with you. I'd never wear the belt in July, but Sept is perfect.

I tried it on with my bronze belt and it looks fabulous.

The belt is made up of interlocking bronze metal pieces and the closure is a 3" round amber colored medallion that's carved like a cameo and outer part of the medallion is surrounded by small, colorless swarofksi crystals. The belt looks nice either over the jacket and gives the jacket a peplum effect and it looks equally well worn over the tank top (ie under the jacket) So if I wear pants, I'll belt the tank top (the peplum effect w/ pants makes my butt look too big) or if I wear a skirt, I'll belt the jacket.

Went to Soho yesterday to look for a skirt or pants. Found a skirt that's on the "maybe" list. It's black silk jersey cut on the bias and the hem is doubled to give that soft edge look that's so popular now. I'm going to go back to the store w/ the jacket & top to see how it looks put together.

This is not the skirt. The one I found is nicer. (and black) However, this is how the hem looks.

http://www.eileenfisher.com/scripts/ecatalogisapi.dll/Item?Item=112336&Group=8433&Template=9990000001052050&desc=Skirt%20with%20Soft%20Hem%20in%20Stretch%20Silk%20Jersey

I'd never wear a pair of capri pants, anytime or any place. But for those that do wear them, I agree with you that they make an any outfit look more casual and so not approariate for a wedding. However, I did say that I didn't buy the pants in that outfit - maybe you didn't see that. I don't even recall if the pants were regular or cropped length - doesn't matter, I think it would be too matronly looking to have the jacket, tank and pant all matchy, matchy. Works for a crisp business suit in gabardine, but not in silk shantung.

Thanks for the compliment, however, it's nothing like apple green. It's definitely an acidy/bronze-y green.

Yes I saw-your pants were differant and my jacket was a little differant from the picture- (but the color and material were the same) mine was sold in a set and not as separates or I would not have bought the capri pants. I would wear them somewhere like a family restuarant-just not to anything dressy.

And I KNOW you would only dress "classy". I do wear capris-but they are like my picnic-daywear, I would never wear them to dressy occasion no matter how dressy a material they were. (I think like the "old fogy" gal in the other thread)

So is that acidy/bronzy green a goldish green? I guess I never knew that-you know I thought acid green was like a chartruse (spelled how?) but maybe not as bright.

So is that acidy/bronzy green a goldish green? I guess I never knew that-you know I thought acid green was like a chartruse (spelled how?) but maybe not as bright.

No, it's kind of chartreuse, but "bronzier" I guess. Definitely a metallic cast as opposed to an apple green which has more of a pure, sherbert, one dimensinal color.

It looked so green when I held it up that I thought the bronze belt would clash, but when I put it on, it matches perfectly, yet you'd never call the jacket/top bronze color.

It's kind of odd...and so definitely me! :D

Thanks. I agree with you. I'd never wear the belt in July, but Sept is perfect.

I tried it on with my bronze belt and it looks fabulous.

The belt is made up of interlocking bronze metal pieces and the closure is a 3" round amber colored medallion that's carved like a cameo and outer part of the medallion is surrounded by small, colorless swarofksi crystals. The belt looks nice either over the jacket and gives the jacket a peplum effect and it looks equally well worn over the tank top (ie under the jacket) So if I wear pants, I'll belt the tank top (the peplum effect w/ pants makes my butt look too big) or if I wear a skirt, I'll belt the jacket.

Went to Soho yesterday to look for a skirt or pants. Found a skirt that's on the "maybe" list. It's black silk jersey cut on the bias and the hem is doubled to give that soft edge look that's so popular now. I'm going to go back to the store w/ the jacket & top to see how it looks put together.

This is not the skirt. The one I found is nicer. (and black) However, this is how the hem looks.

http://www.eileenfisher.com/scripts/ecatalogisapi.dll/Item?Item=112336&Group=8433&Template=9990000001052050&desc=Skirt%20with%20Soft%20Hem%20in%20Stretch%20Silk%20Jersey

The belt sounds beautiful. Is it a piece you picked up in your travels or is it from a retailer in the states? I always admire women who are so put together and accessorized. I need one of those Victoria Beckham closets with the 3D camera and software program to catalog what I can wear with what and when I wore it last. LOL Or maybe someday, I'll just get organized.

The skirt sounds fantastic. What an elegant silhouette. I can imagine the outfit would look equally striking with pants as you described.

Let us know what you decide.

The belt sounds beautiful. Is it a piece you picked up in your travels or is it from a retailer in the states? I always admire women who are so put together and accessorized. I need one of those Victoria Beckham closets with the 3D camera and software program to catalog what I can wear with what and when I wore it last. LOL Or maybe someday, I'll just get organized.

I only wish I was organized! I admire those women too. Wish I were one of them! <sigh>

The belt is from a small accessories company out of Texas called Kelli Kouri.

The skirt sounds fantastic. What an elegant silhouette. I can imagine the outfit would look equally striking with pants as you described.

Let us know what you decide.

I generally make these decisions about 10 minutes before having to leave the house! To be honest, it's unusual for me to be shopping now for a Sept 7th wedding. However, I figured if I waited til Sept 1st there would be no summer weight items left in the stores and I really had nothing appropriate for this occasion.

For the evening reception, I have no clue as to what I'll wear but it'll be something from my closet. Originally, I thought it was black tie and knew which gown I was going to wear, but found out today it's "cocktail" so I've got to rethink it. The bride's mother is flying into NY this weekend to help the bride with some details. I found her a few hair/make-up stylists to talk to and she's going to meet them. I'll find out from her what she's wearing (she's always smashing) and how dressy I need to be.

Now if I could just lose 10 pounds in 3 weeks I'd have no problems! :D

No, it's kind of chartreuse, but "bronzier" I guess. Definitely a metallic cast as opposed to an apple green which has more of a pure, sherbert, one dimensinal color.

It looked so green when I held it up that I thought the bronze belt would clash, but when I put it on, it matches perfectly, yet you'd never call the jacket/top bronze color.

I have a formal top in a poly (faux) silk that looks like a pale blueberry but then looks almost burgandy/ purple-depending how the light hits it.

Bronze metallic I love! I have two pairs of shoes in that. I think your belt would be great. Just be sure not to look better then the bride! LOL!

I think your belt would be great. Just be sure not to look better then the bride! LOL!

There's no danger of that! She's a real beauty and she bought a pastel colored, all-over beaded, vintage dress from the 20's. My bridal dress was also 20's inspired and I still have my headpiece. She's going to try it on and if it looks well with her dress, she'll borrow it. I'd be thrilled!

Doesn't summer go until September 23 this year? ;) :)

As others have mentioned, the weather can vary wildly, but in early September I've found that it often still seems "summery" outside (well, at least here in Chicago we can get temps in the 80-90's... not sure about NYC). Not until October do we really get the "fall" feeling outdoors, IMO.

Anyway, Jane110, I'm glad it seems as though you have already considered the possibility of it being very warm outside, with your ability to remove the jacket. That was the only comment I would make - it won't neccessarily be "fall" yet.

Have a GREAT time!

Sounds perfect!

I love that color, along with bronzes and olive greens and warm browns. I'm a warm blonde with a lot of red highlights (or at least I used to have a lot but not so many as I'm getting older!) I have more golden skin rather than pale.

Archived