What You Should Know About Handbags

CAC104

I received this info and just cringed because I am guilty of doing a lot of the no no's mentioned....I immediately sprayed my handbag with Lysol and vowed to be careful where I put it down....

HANDBAGS...

I never gave it a thought. Who would have thought?

Have you ever noticed gals who sit their handbags on public toilet floors - then go directly to their dining tables and set it on the table? Happens a lot!

It's not always the 'restaurant food' that causes stomach distress.

Sometimes "what you don't know 'will' hurt you"!

Read on...

Mum got so upset when guests came in the door and plopped their handbags down on the counter where she was cooking or setting up food. She always said that handbags are really dirty, because of where they have been.

Smart Mum!!!

It's something just about every woman carries with them. While we may know what's inside our handbags, do you have any idea what's on the outside? Shauna Lake put handbags to the test - for bacteria - with surprising results. You may think twice about where you put your handbag.

Women carry handbags everywhere; from the office to public toilets to the floor of the car. Most women won't be caught without their handbags, but did you ever stop to think about where your handbag goes during the day?

"I drive a school bus, so my handbag has been on the floor of the bus a lot," says one woman. "On the floor of my car, and in toilets." "I put my handbag in grocery shopping carts, on the floor of the toilet while changing a nappy," says another woman "and of course in my home which should be clean."

We decided to find out if handbags harbor a lot of bacteria. We learned how to test them at Nelson Laboratories in Salt Lake, and then we set out to test the average woman's handbag.

Most women told us they didn't stop to think about what was on the bottom of their handbag. Most said at home they usually set their handbags on top of kitchen tables and counters where food is prepared.

Most of the ladies we talked to told us they wouldn't be surprised if their handbags were at least a little bit dirty. It turns out handbags are so surprisingly dirty, even the microbiologist who tested them was shocked.

Microbiologist Amy Karen of Nelson Labs says nearly all of the handbags tested were not only high in bacteria, but high in harmful kinds of bacteria. Pseudomonas can cause eye infections, staphylococcus aurous can cause serious skin infections, and salmonella and e-coli found on the handbags could make people very sick.

In one sampling, four of five handbags tested positive for salmonella, and that's not the worst of it. "There is fecal contamination on the handbags," says Amy. Leather or vinyl handbags tended to be cleaner than cloth handbags, and lifestyle seemed to play a role. People with kids tended to have dirtier handbags than those without, with one exception. The handbag of one single woman who frequented nightclubs had one of the worst contaminations of all. "Some type of feces, or possibly vomit" says Amy.

So the moral of this story - your handbag won't kill you, but it does have the potential to make you very sick if you keep it on places where you eat.

Use hooks to hang your handbag at home and in toilets, and don't put it on your desk, a restaurant table, or on your kitchen countertop.

Experts say you should think of your handbag the same way you would a pair of shoes. "If you think about putting a pair of shoes onto your countertops, that's the same thing you're doing when you put your handbag on the countertops" - your handbag has gone where individuals before you have sneezed, coughed, spat, urinated, emptied bowels, etc! Do you really want to bring that home with you? The microbiologists at Nelson also said cleaning a handbag will help.

Wash cloth handbags and use leather cleaner to clean the bottom of leather handbags.

IS WORTH SHARING!!!

AND MEN PLEASE PASS THIS ON TO YOUR WIVES, GIRLFRIENDS OR DAUGHTERS!

People in the Western world get sick of being too sterile,

Allergies and all that stuff, are caused by being too clean, (and bad food)

IMHO you kill your own restistance to sicknesses by using too much lysol (I will not use it!)

Your body is a harbour for bacteria, and it should be that way!

I've travelled all over the world, have eaten everywhere (a lot from street vendors in Asia fi), and have been ill for not more than a few days (in years of travelling)

A good healty state of mind is more important than trying not to get ill all the time,

Thank you for sharing, this will not change my life ;)

IMHO you kill your own restistance to sicknesses by using too much lysol (I will not use it!)

I've travelled all over the world, have eaten everywhere (a lot from street vendors in Asia fi), and have been ill for not more than a few days (in years of travelling)

A good healty state of mind is more important than trying not to get ill all the time,

Umm... no. That's not right. Allergies are not caused by being too clean. Illness, yes. Allergies, no.

I point blank refuse to use antibacterial products of any kind unless I've gotten some sort of medical prescription from my doctor due to a bacterial infection, so I am not one of those people you mentioned whose body cannot fight off commonplace illnesses because their body has built up a resistance. However, I'm very allergic to grasses, pollens, dust mites, cat hair, etc - so allergic that I would literally vomit every single night when I was a small child because my body could not handle all the excess mucus that I was producing and subsequently swallowing in my sleep. That was most definitely not caused by using too much Lysol, and it was not caused by being too clean.

Thanks for the info about needing to keep purses and whatnot off of countertops - I generally don't do that, but when people come to my house they always leave their bags on my kitchen countertop. I now know to wipe down the counters when they leave! :o I do have to wonder about who these ladies were in the study that place their handbags on the floor of public restrooms - that just seems intuitively nasty! Who would do that?

I think your point of view is very interesting; I don't agree with all of it and find some of it very opinionated, but interesting none the less.

I do COMPLETELY agree with you that a state of mind can be very healthy. I also agree with you that the body is a harbour for bacteria - but only some of that is good and should stay that way.

I am not a freak about cleaniness, but do think there is a balance to be kept and caution is a good thing. No need to thumb your nose at trying to be clean and healthy. I believe that health is also a balance of good and bad - too much clean and you don't create natural immunities, too much exposure to the wrong things and you can create diseases that are not necessary.

This information won't change my life, but those few times that I "forget" and place my handbag on a filthy floor (and I am one of those who have done it on rare occassions - not sure why, but just did), I will use lysol and protect myself from the really bad stuff.

Linda

Linda

Umm... no. That's not right. Allergies are not caused by being too clean. Illness, yes. Allergies, no.

I point blank refuse to use antibacterial products of any kind unless I've gotten some sort of medical prescription from my doctor due to a bacterial infection, so I am not one of those people you mentioned whose body cannot fight off commonplace illnesses because their body has built up a resistance.

Thanks for the info about needing to keep purses and whatnot off of countertops - I generally don't do that, but when people come to my house they always leave their bags on my kitchen countertop. I now know to wipe down the counters when they leave! :o I do have to wonder about who these ladies were in the study that place their handbags on the floor of public restrooms - that just seems intuitively nasty! Who would do that?

I won't buy antibacterial anything either.......I think it does more harm than good. I also never put my handbag on the floor of a public restroom.....always hang it on the back of the door. Plus I keep my bag on top of the dogs rolling food container, so it doesn't go on my counters. However I will watch to see where my guests put theirs next time!

I have never ever put my purse on any floor anywhere. I can't believe a lot of people do. When driving my purse gooes on the seat next to me. At home my purse is on an end table. In a restaurant either on the back of a seat or on my lap. In the bathroom it's always on the hook.

I've never noticed other people doing this either. I look out for for it now though.

It's not the handbags I worry about, it's the lack of simple hygeine that concerns me.

I have seen this in so many bathrooms and it makes me sick to think about it. I think it's the bathroom door knobs or handles that is where the germs are being spread. Too many ladies DO NOT wash their hands after using the bathroom.

But that is another story.

No, I don't put my handbag on the floor in the bath room either, I hang it round my neck, put it on my lap, or on the doorknob, (that's what I mentioned before/ common sense works best in not getting ill)

For sure I do not put my purse on the table (why do women do that? its dirty indeed, and it looks stupid!)

I have friends, cleaning their surroundings with all types of lysol (and other anti bacterial stuff), nowadays we can only eat at their homes, for they get sick by eating in a simple restaurant, even worse, I can't invite them at my place, for there is a chance they will get sick by eating here in my home (and no, my food is far from poisonous!)

Maybe I sounded a bit harsh in my former post, it wasn't ment that way, but the thought of spraying lysol on my purses (or on other items in my surroundings, or myself ;) to prevent myself from diseases made me react that way,

Anyway, the best way to stay healty is to have fun!

Keep smiling ;)

It's not the handbags I worry about, it's the lack of simple hygeine that concerns me.

I have seen this in so many bathrooms and it makes me sick to think about it. I think it's the bathroom door knobs or handles that is where the germs are being spread. Too many ladies DO NOT wash their hands after using the bathroom.

But that is another story.

I find it really hard to get my head around the fact that people do this........really makes me wonder what they are doing at home where no one can see them!!!!!:eek: :eek: :eek:

If you ever see me coming out of a public restroom, I'll be the one using my elbows, paper towel, sweater......anything but my hands to open the door! lol:D

No, I don't put my handbag on the floor in the bath room either, I hang it round my neck, put it on my lap, or on the doorknob, (that's what I mentioned before/ common sense works best in not getting ill)

For sure I do not put my purse on the table (why do women do that? its dirty indeed, and it looks stupid!)

I have friends, cleaning their surroundings with all types of lysol (and other anti bacterial stuff), nowadays we can only eat at their homes, for they get sick by eating in a simple restaurant, even worse, I can't invite them at my place, for there is a chance they will get sick by eating here in my home (and no, my food is far from poisonous!)

Maybe I sounded a bit harsh in my former post, it wasn't ment that way, but the thought of spraying lysol on my purses (or on other items in my surroundings, or myself ;) to prevent myself from diseases made me react that way,

Anyway, the best way to stay healty is to have fun!

Keep smiling ;)

Now those friends have a problem with cleanliness. I think I may have reacted like that if I knew people like that. I have never used lysol to clean my house, I am perfectly fine with vinegar most the time and I will use spic and span and a light floor cleaner. I do have 3 dogs, so I use the carpet freshener by Arm and Hammer - which probably is not so good, but sometimes the dog smell just gets really bad and I try not to offend people with the smell when they come to my house. Luckily I don't get many visiter - read on to see why.

My food is close to poisonous but not from lack of cleaniness, it is just terrible:eek: I am so lucky to have a husband who is not only a great cook, but also likes to cook. He is gone right now and I made steak for dinner, it was a weeee bit overcooked, but I took a bite of it and told my daughter (8 years) how good it was and she ate all hers. I love this age, so gulible. I guess overcooked is better than undercooked, no chance of anything bad living in it:o .

I guess I have occassionally put my purse on the floor in the bathroom, because my mom was always paranoid someone could reach over the door and snatch it from the hook. I have never put it around my neck, because not only can I not cook, but I also have lousy balance and would probably end up on the floor.

I love some of the bathrooms now, they have a little capartment thingy right next to the toilet that you can slide your purse into. I would only spray the lysol on the bottom of my purse and it would be better than feces being on the bottom.

I don't know why women put their purses on the table. That is not where it is meant to be. I also can't believe some women or men for that matter, don't wash their hands after using the facilities. How gross can they be? And they are probably the one's that wonder why they get sick.

Linda

I read this report a few months ago, and was not too alarmed because I never put my handbag on the floor ... especially in a public bathroom!!!

Since then, I've really noticed who does drop their bag on the floor in our bathroom at work. I would say that ALL of my coworkers drop their bag on the floor, and most of them keep a big old bottle of antibacterial gel on their desk that they use constantly. But their handbags are just gross ...

I clean my phone with a wipe when someone at work has a cold, but don't normally use those gels. For me it's more important to just wash my hands a zillion times a day.

Just as a cruising aside ... when we were on X in the spring everyone seemed to have a brutal cold, so I was super careful to wash all the time - and I still got the darned cold!!! So don't drop your bag on the floor, wash your hands, and cover your mouth when you cough or sneeze!!!

The only time I took anti bacterial solution (you know, wash/desinfect your hands without water) with me, was when I was doing South India on a scooter,

Ever been to India? The country side? (lack of) toilets? (hole in the ground, crawling with tiny, and not so tiny-you don't want to see animals)

For me going to those toilets, was an expedition on itself, you really learn to be basic, once you have to go, you go, (sounds like survival, for me it felt that way)

Neven got sick, except for one day, I had dinner in a Tibetan restaurant, where I ate vegetarian currys :p

Well, that was gross to read :eek:

I've never put my handbag on the floor simply because I have what I consider to be nice handbags and I don't want them on the floor. I have a nifty little purse hook that I can use to hold my handbag off the floor and off the seat at a restaurant. I have a fear of hanging it on the back of my chair, not from germs, but from thieves.

I do put it on the floor of my car, but in the back where hardly anyone ever sits. At work I store it in a cupboard, at home it hangs on a hook. When I use the facilities in a restaurant, I leave it at the table with my husband, taking along only my lipstick in my pocket or lacking a pocket I stick it in my bra while doing my thing.

I can't even put my purse down on the seat of public transportation, you have no idea who has been sitting there before you. Just this week we were on a Trolley tour in San Diego, across from us was an elderly couple. The husband asked about restroom facilities and the driver directed him at the next stop. I watched them disembark and he had sadly already wet his pants. I felt terrible for him and even worse for the next person who sat on the seat :o

I'm one of those people who think every surface of a public bathroom is crawling with germs. Because the toilets don't have lids (germs spray out when flushing) and because it is used by the public and many members of the public are total slobs. I won't touch the handles of the sink or the doorknobs, I use paper towels for those things.

A little bit of attention and care is fine and will not lower your resistance to germs, it will more than likely protect you. It's only when you carry it too far, over-using antibacterial soap and other antibacterial products that you kill off your good bacteria, leaving yourself a target for the very thing you are trying to avoid.

One other area that totally grosses me out is counter tops used by the public. So many times I watch mommies plop their diaper clad kids onto the counter at banks, stores, offices....ick!

I never put my purse on the floor anywhere...not even at home. For one thing, alot of my handbags are expensive and I try to keep them very clean...and yes, also for sanitary reasons. I think of it this way...the bottom of your shoes touch those floors and public streets all day...would you put your shoes on the table at dinner? Why don't I just lick the floor.

I'm guilty of using Purell after I go shopping or something. But I use it mostly because my hands feel dirty after using shopping carts. When I get in my vehicle, the first thing I do is reach for the Purell. Then I make a conscious effort to not put my hands near my face until I wash my hands when I get home. When there is a bug going around, I wash my hands like a mad woman, lol. I just think it's worth it trying to prevent illness.

....and don't forget all those urban males that carry murses (man purses)!

Also, I can't imagine spraying my good leather purse with Lysol....:confused: Can't be good for the leather, eh?

My purse that I sprayed was a summer woven weave fabric....so the lysol didn't hurt it....After reading the info, I just didn't want to touch it. I am one who balances in the bathroom with my purse around my neck if there isn't a hook, but I do drop it under the table at a restaurant, and in my car, and then come home and just drop it down on the counter. For some reason, I just never imagined it could be so dirty...live and learn!

The only time I took anti bacterial solution (you know, wash/desinfect your hands without water) with me, was when I was doing South India on a scooter,

Ever been to India? The country side? (lack of) toilets? (hole in the ground, crawling with tiny, and not so tiny-you don't want to see animals)

For me going to those toilets, was an expedition on itself, you really learn to be basic, once you have to go, you go, (sounds like survival, for me it felt that way)

Neven got sick, except for one day, I had dinner in a Tibetan restaurant, where I ate vegetarian currys :p

I heard China's toilets are an experience. I think China is our next trip, I am not looking forward to those toilets.

Linda

How many of you (and your family members) flush the toilet with the lid up? The flushing action aerosolizes the water and whatever is in it and up in the air it all goes and can settle as far away as a 20 foot diameter. A few years ago there was a science program on tv where they tinted the toilet water blue and then flushed. It went quite a ways.

Think about that the next time you brush your teeth.

More common sense and less Lysol wipes and disinfectant sprays and antibiotic soap would be a better idea. I would rather go to the bathroom in the woods than in a public bathroom--it's cleaner.

Ooooh....yeah. I try to close the lid when I flush...lol. But I don't always remember.:eek: :rolleyes:

But I do make a quick exit from the stall when I flush a public toilet. And I also flush it with my foot.

I am happy if there are flush toilets....I play golf on public courses that just have the pit kind of bathrooms...and also go to rustic camps where you do not have the luxury of the flush toilet:(

I'm one of those people who think every surface of a public bathroom is crawling with germs. Because the toilets don't have lids (germs spray out when flushing) and because it is used by the public and many members of the public are total slobs. I won't touch the handles of the sink or the doorknobs, I use paper towels for those things.

Just make sure the paper towels are dry and not the ones you just dried your hands on. Wet or damp paper towels are a pathway for germs, not a barrier. At the same time, there are just as many airborne germs, and I never see anyone wearing a mask...... Except in our OR and for medical procedures not done in the OR.

:rolleyes: Here in Holland, these things are far from an issue,

Guess we are a healty country, lol

I don't use lysol, I don't close the lid after flushing the toilet (when using a public bathroom, I wash my hands, and off I go), I travel around the globe, eat where I want, what I want, don't spray my purse,

I don't have to prevent sickness, I'm healthy, I feel that way, and I am,

Archived