What You Should Know About Handbags

CAC104

I would never spray my $500 handbags w/Lysol:eek:, and I never gave any thought to where I put them down. I have way too much else to worry about, and we seem to be a pretty healthy lot.

I feel the way you do.

I have very nice designer bags and some of them would be ruined to spray with a disinfectant.

And, that said--Louis Vuitton bags--the monogram canvas--should NEVER have the liquid hand sanitizer put on them, or accidently dropped on it. According to someone dear to me who works for LV (my DD)--that hand sanitizer will crack the canvas. LV now informs their clientele to this fact.

But, that said--I have no problem throwing these very nice bags on the car seat next to me, or on my floor in my office or home kitchen table. I just tend to wipe/disenfect our kitchen table down before every meal. I worry more about our cats hopping on it while I am at work than if my purse bottom touches it. :(

I know when I have been in Europe I see a lot of women who do not believe in shaving the hair on their legs and under their arms and do not use deodorant either....if that is an idea of natural living, then I am glad I use some artificial products to keep clean.

Wow... As I've been reading, I was seeing both sides of the argument. Some posts seem on the germ-phobic side, some seem reasonable, and some have seemed to totally disregard warnings about germs.

I think I tend to lie in the middle. Practice good hygiene such as washing your hands, and you should stay pretty healthy. It's also good to keep things that are dirty, such as handbags and shoes, off of surfaces that you eat/prepare food on. Just makes sense to me.

The comment about shaving didn't really make sense to me. What does that have to do with germs? :confused:

I know when I have been in Europe I see a lot of women who do not believe in shaving the hair on their legs and under their arms and do not use deodorant either....if that is an idea of natural living, then I am glad I use some artificial products to keep clean.

You are a real traveller.... where have you been? Turkey? ;)

Wow... As I've been reading, I was seeing both sides of the argument. Some posts seem on the germ-phobic side, some seem reasonable, and some have seemed to totally disregard warnings about germs.

I think I tend to lie in the middle. Practice good hygiene such as washing your hands, and you should stay pretty healthy. It's also good to keep things that are dirty, such as handbags and shoes, off of surfaces that you eat/prepare food on. Just makes sense to me.

The comment about shaving didn't really make sense to me. What does that have to do with germs? :confused:

It has to do with unpleasant odors:D

I know that this is supposed to be funny (and it is) but you've mentioned several times that you think we as a society take cleanliness too far; we understand. Referencing it repeatedly won't make us change our minds about what actions we take, and statements with "you people" as a subject are condescending. It's entirely possible that your situation is different from ours - Holland is a very different place with different social customs and norms. It's not fair to impose your expectations on how to live on people with such dissimilar lives.

I am truly sorry, if my opinions were insulting in any way,

English is not my mother language, and maybe I have explained thoughts and comments in the wrong way, I will be more carefull in writing down my translated thoughts ;)

Yes I do think the cleanliness issues are taken too far, I my humble opinion I think the health of the Western world is suffering from other things, and that very little people are getting sick of germs, or other lack of hygenic.

We are different, but I think (and hope) we'll respect each other in any way,

AnneMarie

How do you people make children?

Sex must be so dirty for you :p

I don't think you are getting the point.

If you are putting your purse on the bathroom floor, you are picking up microscopic particles of feces and urine from total strangers. It's probably not just from today, but with the cleaning methods used by many people, an accumulation of months of crud. When you return home and plop the purse on your kitchen counter, or dining table, you are spreading these germs to your house and family.

Exposure to germs is not a bad thing, we can build up immunity and be healthier for it. But there is no need to expose them to absolute filth picked up on a public bathroom floor.

This type of exposure can lead to illness that even the heartiest of souls cannot defend themselves against, such as Noro-virus, E-coli and other parasites. Unfortunately people deny they are ill and continue to go into public areas, further exposing others to their virus germs. It's called an outbreak and can happen anywhere. It's also hard to pinpoint unless the outbreak is somewhat contained in an area such as a cruise ship, hospital, school, office building.

I don't live my life in fear of germs, but I am careful. I've been trained to be in my work and it now just comes naturally without a lot of thought. Many people are not, which makes this post even more important. If just one person prevents their family from an outbreak of Noro-virus, this thread has been valuable.

It has nothing to do with your relationships with your spouse or partner.

So, the next time you are sidelined with a case of diarrhea, remember you could have caused it yourself with poor hygiene or the poor hygiene of others.

I think I stated before: I use common sense,

I travelled the whole world (and not only on desinfected ships) without getting ill, I think that says enough don't you think so?

I said I'm sorry for pointing out things in a bad way allready, what point do you want me to get, get on my knees and beg?

For the record:

There is no such thing as a European culture,

You have been lucky, that's all it says to me. Try telling this to people who have had vacations ruined by Noro-virus.

I've never gotten sick on a vacation either and I count my blessings for that.

You are free to discuss or leave this thread, it's all up to you. You're just in the minority with your beliefs, you don't have to beg anyones forgiveness here, just don't expect any support.

If we are going to worry so much about where our purses have been, then we need to start getting very concerned about a lot of other things in our daily lives.

What about where our shoes have been all day and then we walk into our homes and onto the flooring like carpeting. We sit on our upholstered furniture and put our feet up on cushions or ottomans with our shoes still on. How many different surfaces have we sat on with our clothes during the day and we come in and sit on our couches where our pets lie. So many people have animals that go outdoors and god knows what they've walked through, but that is different because it's their pets. Then we let our babies and children play on those same floors....most people don't give any of this stuff a thought

It's hard to believe that any of us have survived as long as we have without taking all these precautions!

Actually, the biggest danger to all of us is the overuse of prescription anti-biotics, and those wonderful antibacterial soaps and bathroom cleaners we all have. We are breeding super-bugs.

Actually, the biggest danger to all of us is the overuse of prescription anti-biotics, and those wonderful antibacterial soaps and bathroom cleaners we all have.

Not in my house. I am a very healthy person and don't take many "precautions" other than washing my hands (with normal soap) regularly. I don't worry about where my purse or my shoes have been. I AM lucky to be healthy. But I'm not stupid:rolleyes:

Not in my house. I am a very healthy person and don't take many "precautions" other than washing my hands (with normal soap) regularly. I don't worry about where my purse or my shoes have been. I AM lucky to be healthy. But I'm not stupid:rolleyes:

But, are you sitting on the bathroom floor amongst other peoples feces?

I take my shoes off when I get home, we don't wear shoes in our house. We don't put our feet on the furniture other than the coffee table, but then we don't eat off the coffee table.

I don't understand if you are calling people who taking health precautions stupid :confused: , please explain that comment.

I happen to agree with KC_fn, I think over-use of antibiotics and antibacterial soap will be the end of mankind. But health precautions against intestinal parasites and diarrhea is not unwise.

I don't understand if you are calling people who taking health precautions stupid :confused: , please explain that comment.

I didn't call anyone stupid. I said I'm not stupid. There was no accusation in my comment, just a defense.

I have a master's degree in public health. I work in health research. I know what can make me sick. However, I choose not to do all the things that people (including people in this thread) choose to do to take "health precautions". My life's philosophy is "if it doesn't kill me, it makes me stronger". That works just fine for me. I wash my hands with regular soap and get a flu shot every year. That's about the extent of my "health precautions".

As for where I'm sitting, well, this probably isn't the best thread to describe some of the places I've been and things I've done, eh? Y'all might get the impression I'm dirty ;-)

I didn't call anyone stupid. I said I'm not stupid. There was no accusation in my comment, just a defense.

quote]

That's what I thought, thanks.

You probably think I'm a little overboard, that's fine, we all have to do what works best for us. My no shoes in the house and no feet on the furniture is a housekeeping issue much more than a health issue :p

Thank you! You're NOT part of the problem. :)

Archived