Hotel in Paris & Barcelona

nessy48

My husband and I are going on the Celebrity Summit next summer. I know this is EXTREMELY far in advance, but I wanted some advice on hotels in both Paris & Barcelona. We will be in Barcelona for 1 night pre-cruise and Paris 2 or 3 nights post-cruise. I was looking at the Hotel 1898 in Barcelona and also the Splendid Etoile Hotel or Sofitel Champs Elysees. We would spend up to around $300 US a night. If anyone has any other suggestions of hotels or opinions on these, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!

-Vanessa

in barcelona, I stayed at the hotel continental las ramblas last year. it was 110 euro per night. it was a budget hotel, but nice. it has airconditioning and private bathrooms. there is 24 hour free internet, sodas, beer, bottled water, and snacks, and there is continental breakfast all included in the price.

you can also stay at its sister station, hotel continental la placete. its a few blocks away, quieter as it isn't on las ramblas, has better food options are the included in the price, but also its a little more expensive. i think about 10-20 euros more a night.

We are going to be staying at the abovementioned Hotel Continental Palacete for our post cruise night - it has quite a few favourable reports if you search these boards. Pre cruise in Barcelona we are staying at the Hispanos 7 Suiza which has a lot of excellent reports on the tripadvisor site.

We were on the BoS T-A last April and I had the same problem. After much research we settled on Hotel NH Duc de la Victoria (120 euros for balcony room). You don't want to stay right on the Ramblas - it's too noisy. This hotel is 2 blocks off the middle of the Ramblas (which is busy ALL NIGHT LONG)! It's on a taxi only street. They gave us wine and beef sticks for a welcome gift. Very nice room. We ate at the "Attic" on the Ramblas which caters to tourists with early 5PM opening hours. Food was good.

In Paris we settled on Hotel Splendid Tour Eiffel on Tourville right around the corner from Rue Cler which had a wonderful NON-SMOKING Italian restaurant with "1886" in the name. Ask for an upper room with a view of the Eiffel Tower. Small rooms but pleasant staff and stay. Beware if they ask you if you want the charge in dollars or euros. Choose euros, it'll come through cheaper when you get the bill back home.

Don't miss Montmatre, my favorite part of Paris.

If you also go to Nice by train like we did (Nice is our favorite French city) we stayed at the 3 star Mercure Nice Promenades Des Anglais (watch out there are 2 Mercures on the Promenade) this one has an address at 2 rue Halevy. We got a corner room (#326) that had a balcony (60 feet long) that wrapped around the building and overlooked the Med. Double windows kept it quiet. Very large room with 3 beds. Charge was 145 euros. We ate at the Argentine Seakhouse up the street and the restaurant that specializes in mussels in the old city on the wide street where the market is held during the mornings. Can't remember it's name.

Have a great trip.

Florida Rich...

My husband and I are going on the Celebrity Summit next summer. I know this is EXTREMELY far in advance, but I wanted some advice on hotels in both Paris & Barcelona. We will be in Barcelona for 1 night pre-cruise and Paris 2 or 3 nights post-cruise. I was looking at the Hotel 1898 in Barcelona and also the Splendid Etoile Hotel or Sofitel Champs Elysees. We would spend up to around $300 US a night. If anyone has any other suggestions of hotels or opinions on these, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!

-Vanessa

I stayed at the Hotel Apsis Splendid. It's a 10 minute walk to Placa Catalunya and Las Ramblas. Walk up Paseig de Gracias for 10 minutes and you'll reach Casa Batllo. Another 5 minutes will take you to Casa Mila. Head in another direction and it will take you to Plaza De Espana.

The rooms weren't huge, but enough. The bathroom is large by European standards and very clean. There are lots of restaurants and bakeries in the neighborhood (which is also safer than Las Ramblas). I paid 65-85 euros/night (I stayed for 5 nights by myself).

Here's the hotel website: http://www.hotel-splendid.com/

Tripadvisor.com reviews: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g187497-d227463-Reviews-Apsis_Splendid_Hotel-Barcelona_Catalonia.html

Five years ago, we stayed at the Concorde St. Lazare in Paris. http://www.concordestlazare-paris.com/en/

It was a relatively nice hotel. . .I would rate it probably a 3 or 3+ star. It's not cheap. . . .probably around 350 Euro/night.

I've checked tripadvisor.com for Barcelona hotels, and you can find some good ones on that site. After we get back from our cruise next month, I can give you more info on Barcelona hotels.

Chris

• 2 months later...

I do not normally talk about this place, but tonight I am in a festive mood. If you want to stay at a delightful left bank hotel we do have a special favorite. This is a very French hotel on a wonderful charming residential street just down the street from the Place de Contrascarpe (a delightful small square). This is the kind of hotel for those that want to escape the busy Paris places for the small (about 50 rooms) ultra-charming left bank hotel. Frequent travelers to Paris always are trying to find these gems in the 5th or 6th. The only downside to this hotel is that they do not have airconditioning unless Madam has finally decided to upgrade (unlikely). We long ago gave up the modern Mariotts and Hiltons in Paris in favor of the little French hotels, but the price is that you usually get smallish rooms, creaky wood floors, etc. Oooo La La. Fortunately, they finally have their own web site at

http://www.hotel-grandes-ecoles.com/

Hank

We stayed at Hotel 1898 last fall and just fell in love with this hotel. So very classy. If you're up for free continental breakfasts and free drinks, this is not the place. This is a CLASS hotel not a buffet style experience.

Definitely stay on Las Ramblas...the action is not to be missed and it is NOT noisey as some report. Our pre cruise was at Hotel Monte Carlo which was a nice hotel but Hotel 1898 which is diagonally across from MC is a far superior hotel. Loved it, loved it! This is my #1 choice in BCN.

Hotel 1898 is our #1 choice. We also stayed at AC Barcelona and we much prefer Hotel 1898. We loved the location, and esp loved the terrace and rooftop pool to enjoy a bottle of wine. We are going back to Europe in 2009 and my husband's only request was to go back to Hotel 1898.

For Paris look at the Hotel Millesime. It is on the r Jacob two blocks from the Seine in one direction and two blocks from the Blvd St Germain and Les Deux Magots in the other. You are just above approx the Pont des Arts so you are within walking distance of the Ile de la Cite (Notre Dame) and the Ile St Louis (Brasserie D'Ile St Louis) as well as the Luxembourg and Tiuleries gardens, etc.

And if you book for three days or more you can take advange of their Tete-a-tete package...

- 3 NIGHTS MINIMUM STAY

- Our breakfast buffet

- A one-way transfer from or to the airport (CDG or Orly) or the railway station

-½ bottle of Brut “Saphir” champagne in the room served with its famous “Ladurée” macaroons

- A cruise on the Seine for two

- 1/2 bottle of “Chablis”

- The “Mobilis” pass valid for one day (on all Paris public transportation)

- 1 Aperitif served in the “Café Laurent” (with a Jazz session on Thursdays, Fridays, and Saturdays) "Classique" Room205.00 EUR"Supérieure" Room225.00 EURMillésime Suite395.00 EURExtra Bed45.00 EUR Pjk

I am assuming that this is a first visit to Paris and Barcelona. I typically stay in Marriotts being captive to their program. However, one hotel which is great for a first time visit to Paris is the Hotel Regina. The location is unbeatable for a tourist and the rooms are quite nice. Our specific room overlooked Tuileries Gardens with a view down to the Eiffel Tower. You are right at the entrance to the Louve and have easy access to the Metro. See the following link from trip advisor: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g187147-d207792-Reviews-Regina_Hotel-Paris_Ile_de_France.html

Barcelona I have less experience with and have only stayed in business hotels away from the Ramblas. If this is OK, I used to get really good deals at the Bareclo Sants which has a direct rail connection to the airport by virtue of being on top of the main train station. You can get/use Marriott points at the Renaissance at the airport.

Archived