Denali Tundra tour was great!

Happyladi

I am at the Mt McKinnley Princess lodge. Yesterday we went on the tundra tour. We went 62 miles into the park. I spoke to a couple of other people that went on the shorter tours. One woman told me they saw one bear and the man told me they saw one caribu.

We saw 6 bears, 3 moose, many caribu, sheep, a artic fox, and ground squirrels. We saw a mother bear and her 3 cubs. We also saw Mt Mckinnley yesterday, though it was partly covered in clouds.

The park is beautiful, but if you take the shorter tour you won't see the prettiest part.

The left side of the bus is the best, but if you sit on the right you will see it on the return trip. You NEED binnoculars. It is a long tour, but you stop several times to use the bathrooms and look around.

The weather at the Mt McKinnley Princess lodge was wonderful today and the mountain was out all day long with no clouds. What a sight! It has clouded over now, though.

Another plus for getting INTO the Park, don't waste your time with the worthless Natural History tour, take adavantage of being there. :)

Did this poster have it already included in their tour??? Or changed to it after information on this board???

I agree totally. We changed our tour after reading on this board. I called

Princess after learning about the TWT, they told me to call my TA and she did it. We were dropped off at the Visitors Center and walked to the train.

plenty of time for the 8 hours leaving at 6:30am for the tour and getting on 3:45 train to Fairbanks.

I agree totally. We changed our tour after reading on this board. I called

Princess after learning about the TWT, they told me to call my TA and she did it. We were dropped off at the Visitors Center and walked to the train.

plenty of time for the 8 hours leaving at 6:30am for the tour and getting on 3:45 train to Fairbanks.

Frankly, it sounds like you did not know anything about Denali Park before reading this board??? I am highly critical of cruisetours and booking agents for totally ignoring this vital information. In my opinion, on cruisetours, this is probably the most significant portion of the tour. I can never justify any good reason for anyone to consider the worthless Natural History tour, and expecially if they have no knowledge about the differences to make the decision to take it.

I will again repeat :) DO YOUR HOMEWORK, and understand fully what you are booking, no matter how you tour interior Alaska. It will pay off many many times.

Frankly, it sounds like you did not know anything about Denali Park before reading this board??? I am highly critical of cruisetours and booking agents for totally ignoring this vital information. In my opinion, on cruisetours, this is probably the most significant portion of the tour. I can never justify any good reason for anyone to consider the worthless Natural History tour, and expecially if they have no knowledge about the differences to make the decision to take it.

I will again repeat :) DO YOUR HOMEWORK, and understand fully what you are booking, no matter how you tour interior Alaska. It will pay off many many times.

I agree with you Budget Queen and because of these boards I chose to create my own land tour. I may not have too many days but I am going to see and do more on this land tour than I did with the package I had 2 years ago.

Everyone one has provided so much great information on these boards.

I have learned a lot since my last Alaska cruise.

08/20/08 - Alaska Carnival Spirit

10/2006 - New England/Canada

08/2005 - Alaska Carnival Spirit

Help...I'm on a land tour too and also booked for the Natural History Tour. Unfortunately I'm not very experienced on the internet and only used a few websites to go by until my TA suggested this CC website AFTER I had booked everything. What is the Tundra tour?

Don't be intimidated by the internet. It's really easy to use your search tool, ie. Google, then just type in what you want to know, then enter. You'll come up with tons of choices, just read and get educated. In answer to your question, here is a review of the Wilderness tour http://alaska.org/denali/tundra-wilderness-tours.jsp

Here is one of the Natural history tour

http://alaska.org/denali/natural-history-tours.jsp

Here is a link to the National Park service shuttle that most people recommend

http://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/bus-travel.htm

This way is less expensive and gets you into the park further. You really can't go wrong EXCEPT if you choose the Natural history tour, it just does not get you far enough into the park. You can actually drive yourself in almost as far as this tour goes. Use your search function, you can also use the search function on this board and soon you'll be very educated and you can make choices that make you happy. Good luck on planning your trip!

Help...I'm on a land tour too and also booked for the Natural History Tour. Unfortunately I'm not very experienced on the internet and only used a few websites to go by until my TA suggested this CC website AFTER I had booked everything. What is the Tundra tour?

You may want to check with your agent and see if you can upgrade to the Tundra tour.

IF you are going next year. I strongly suggest you cancel this cruisetour and start over, getting the right itinerary to begin with. It can be difficult or impossible to change from the Natural History tour to something else, especially if you are on a short add on tour. You need 2 nights at Denali Park for an easier change.

IF you are going this year- list your exact itinerary, and mode of travel. I can then suggest changes if it can be done.

At ALL COSTS, do not accept this worthless Natural History tour, it's like seeing Disneyland from the Parking Lot and never getting into the Park. The Park Road is 90 miles, the Natural History tour is only 16 miles, and definately little scenery, and wildlife potential compared to getting farther. My min. recommendation is the SHUTTLE BUS to Fish Creek mile 63. The Tundra Wilderness tour goes to mile 53, the best of the cruisetour options, but still less than I would ever spend my time and money doing.

Determine - WHY you are going to Alaska, if it is to max. your scenery and wildlife, then definately look to change this any way you can. Otherwise, at least you know what you have purchased and made the choice.

We just took the TWT and went to mile marker 63 not 53. I was telling everyone I could to get on this message board early next time they plan a cruise!.

This is NOT a given, McKinley must have been viewable, or the first bus out saw it, then the later buses can go farther then the stated mile 53. They do not get to Fish Creek which is mile 63 but Stoney Hill Lookout- a couple miles less. These are the best of the Tundra Wilderness tours. :)

You're right, Denali was out without a cloud! Our bus driver even got out her camera for pictures. I was amazed at how many people didn't have binoculars with them for this trip. You needed them to see the wildlife we saw - except for the grizzley walking down the middle of the road!

You're right, Denali was out without a cloud! Our bus driver even got out her camera for pictures. I was amazed at how many people didn't have binoculars with them for this trip. You needed them to see the wildlife we saw - except for the grizzley walking down the middle of the road!

grizzly walking down the road? :eek: wow, you really raised my expectation for my trip (next year..:( ) I will use my binoculars too if you are coming right at us. :D

We will be at the McKinley lodge for 2 nights. Is there a way to get on one of the Denali tours from there. There are excursions listed on the lodge site but nothing into Denali.

The entrance of Denali National Park is about 3 hours away.

We will be at the McKinley lodge for 2 nights. Is there a way to get on one of the Denali tours from there. There are excursions listed on the lodge site but nothing into Denali.

You need to get to the Denali Princess Lodge or somewhere near Healy, AK to have access to the Denali NP. Are you on a cruisetour? Often Princess gives cruisetour passengers two nights at McKinley Princess and only one night at Denali Princess. If that is your case, it means you probably only get the NHT. Double check.

The first 20 or so photos from this photo album were taken at Denali.

http://picasaweb.google.com/johnn.photos/AlaskaJuly2007

You need TIME there to see wildlife. That is why taking the shuttle bus to Wonder Lake or at least Fish Creek is so important. I rode shuttle or camper buses part of three different days to get those photos (and others). You never know what you will see.

John

Nope, sorry, this lodge is 100 miles away from Denali National Park. Too bad you didn't know this before you purchased this. You also are 50 miles away from Talkeetna, which is where you come into if coming by rail. So be certain, to plan your time, since you don't want to be on this transit too many times.

The bonus of McKinley Princss, is if the mt. is out, which it seldom is. Otherwise this is a very isolated area with few activites nearby. It was built, in my opinion, as an overflow to the Denali Princess and the source of all revenue over the former Anchorage locations, on prior itineraries.

grizzly walking down the road? :eek: wow, you really raised my expectation for my trip (next year..:( ) I will use my binoculars too if you are coming right at us. :D

I too have been fortunate to see the grizzles up close many times. Denali Park is the best bargain in all of Alaska for wildlife. :)

If you care to look, I put together this photo sample. Especially, dear to me, is the bear sliding down a hill near Eielson. :) http://community.webshots.com/user/budgetqueen

If you care to look, I put together this photo sample. Especially, dear to me, is the bear sliding down a hill near Eielson. :) http://community.webshots.com/user/budgetqueen

I am sure you referenced the photos before, BQ, but great photos. I especially also liked the whale breaching. I know you have to be ready to get a photo like that. Thanks for sharing.

John

I too have been fortunate to see the grizzles up close many times. Denali Park is the best bargain in all of Alaska for wildlife. :)

Budget Queen, thanks a lot for sharing those wonderful photos. That bear is so cute when sliding down the hill. I really envy your rich travel experience. I wish I could do it one day

We just took the TWT and went to mile marker 63 not 53. I was telling everyone I could to get on this message board early next time they plan a cruise!.

Our bus driver told us he often only goes 53 miles but that he was going to go 62 as he thought the mountain was mostly out. Even going 53 miles we saw lots of wildlife and beautiful scenery. When we got to mile 62 the mountain was about half out and we even saw an artic fox only 10 feet away.

The shorter tour (the 3 to 4 hour one) does NOT take you to the most beautiful part of the park. We were on the bus from 7 AM to 4 PM with several stops but it was worth it. The seats are comfortable and the road was well mantained. We brought Subway sandwiches with us which worked out well.

Try to sit on the left (but don't worry if you sit on the right) and bring binoculars.

By the way, we spent only one night at the Denali Princess and two nights at the Mt McKinley one. We had to leave right after our tour for the McKinley lodge as our tour ran long. I'm not sorry because the next day the mountain was completely out all day long and it was the prettiest day of our trip.

Denali park is absolutely the best part of our vacation. We have seen so many wildlifes, bears, mooses, mountain goats. Plus, you leave the driving chore to the bus driver, who is very knowledgeable. BTW, don't leave your binoculars in your room at lodge or car trunk when you board on those buses. Although there are occasional close encountering with wildlifes, many of them still prefer keeping a safe distance from us human beings.

Denali park is absolutely the best part of our vacation. We have seen so many wildlifes, bears, mooses, mountain goats. Plus, you leave the driving chore to the bus driver, who is very knowledgeable. BTW, don't leave your binoculars in your room at lodge or car trunk when you board on those buses. Although there are occasional close encountering with wildlifes, many of them still prefer keeping a safe distance from us human beings.

Welcome home, Dave. Can't wait to hear all about your trip.

photodoodle, yes, I am back, still recovering from the long two weeks trip. Tahnk you. I think I need a mini vacation to do some R&R to fully bring my mind back to real life. :D My trip report is still work in progress. Hopefully, I can put it up in a few days.

Archived