Anchorage to Seward travel time

Sleddogs

Our Celebrity land tour ends with a flight from Fairbanks back to Anchorage where we will be motorcoached to Seward for the start of our cruise.

Can anyone tell me how long it takes to get to Seward from Anchorage? Summit departs at 9 pm and we are wondering if there will be any time to explore Seward before sailing.

Thank you! Sleddogs

Carnival Fascination 8/00 (Southern Carib)25th Anniversary
Norwegian Sky 8/01 (Alaska) Enchantment of the Seas 8/02 (Western Carib)
Carnival Destiny Family Cruise 8/10/03 (Southern Caribbean)
Celebrity Summit 12 night Alaska cruise tour 8/2004
Jewel of the Seas 12 night British Isles/Norwegian Fjords 7/2005~~30th Anniversary

Clay,
Thank you for the info. Longer drive than I thought. I will take your suggestion and call X for more details.
Thanks again,
Sleddogs

Jewel of the Seas 12 night British Isles/Norwegian Fjords 7/2005~~30th Anniversary

Seward offers excellent touring opportunities. the KEY will be to be on the first buses leaving- since they leave when full. Sit on the right from Anchorage for Arm viewing. But perjhaps a far better option- that the Alaska RR leaving around 0700, you're in Seward around 11am. Plenty of time for touring. Superior scenery vs the Seward Highway- $59pp, plus need a cab to the ship- $5++

Thanks Budget Queen! Appreciate the tip to sit on the right. We like to get the best views when possible. When we journeyed on the White Pass RR in Skagway a couple of years ago, it was best to sit on the left for the start of the trip. They did make everyone switch sides for the return though.

I think we'll be on the motorcoach for sure because it's part of our tour package with Celebrity. We'll definitely try to be on one of the first buses though.

I'm sure our dox will show the times for everything, but like most people, I like to know these things in advance so I can research.

Thanks again! Sleddogs

• 1 month later...
The bus trip is a little over 3 hours. The train is closer to 4 hours (unless, of course, you have to slow to a crawl due to a moose thinking it's [B]his[/B] track, like ours did last week!

As for getting on an early bus, your assignment is based on when you show up at the Egan Convention Center downtown -- first come, first bus. And I think X opens the doors at around 8:30am, and the first bus is scheduled to leave around noon.

I believe that the early train last week from Anchorage to Seward had a 6:30am departure (ugh -- I'm on vacation!). Anyway, when we got to the Egan Center around 10am, they offered us an upgrade to a 1pm train for $35 per person (above the bus transfer fee). Because things ran late, we actually left Anchorage around 2pm, and arrived on board around 6:30pm for a 9pm sailing. Having taken a bus before from Anchorage to Whittier (HAL cruise), I much prefer the train -- it has a limited restaurant and full bar, plus the view is MUCH better. On the other hand, the bus we took in 2000 with HAL stopped at the glacier center and the wildlife park, which were both fun.

John

Archived