Johnny Rockets

Are any of the ships charging for Johnny Rockets? I had read a few months ago that they were trying out a "test market" and charging a fee for Johnny Rockets on some ships and sailing dates. What's the latest news on this for anyone who has cruised a Voyager Class ship recently?

When I spoke to someone at RCCL last week I asked if there was a charge for Johnny Rockets.I told them I was thinking of sailing on the Voyager.They said the food was free but there was a $3.95 service charge and you had to pay for the specialty drinks such as milkshakes.

When I spoke to someone at RCCL last week I asked if there was a charge for Johnny Rockets.I told them I was thinking of sailing on the Voyager.They said the food was free but there was a $3.95 service charge and you had to pay for the specialty drinks such as milkshakes.

If that is true then the program must have been expanded very recently or is planning to expand.

So it's $3.95 per person cover charge, plus another charge for the milkshakes? What do the milkshakes cost now?

Are soda cards valid in JR on Navigator?

Soda cards are valid at JR. I don't know the answer on milkshakes.

I don't consider the OP question beating a dead horse at all. Hopefully someone who has some real information about the surcharge can answer the question intelligently as opposed to again mocking the OP question.

BD

Included on VOS. You pay for drinks.

R.

Hello, I was on the Voyager on the June 18th sailing. Johnny Rockets charged for the milk shakes and soda, they do not take the soda card. When you go, you must have the apple pie ala mode - it was the best dessert I had on the cruise.

Have a great cruise! Sue

I live in Nashville, we have a Johnny Rockets at Opry Mills Mall here. Let me assure you that $3.95 is CHEAP compared to what we pay to eat there!! My Father and 5yr old son ate there and it was almost $20.00! :eek: I think I will happily pay $3.95 when I go on the Mariner.

Catherine: You may compare JR on board to JR on land all you like; people object because they have already paid their cruise fare and believe that their meals are included in that fare.

Yes, $3.95 is less than "almost $20.00 :eek:" but I don't think that you paid an "entrance" fee already to go to your JRs in the Opry Mills Mall.

Carol JMO, YMMV

Carol;

I made not have made my point very well. I agree with all of you that it seems you are nickel and dimed to death on a cruise. This will be my first cruise and I went from thinking I would only need spending money $200-$300 at the most too realizing I need closer to $750-$1000. I knew that I would have to pay for alcohol, excursions, and gambling but I had no idea about: Chops, Portifinos, tips, pictures, spa treatments, exercise classes, Ben and Jerry's, soda, ironing, JR, special coffees, ect.

I just meant that compared to what I have to pay at home for JR, this is probably the only extra cost that actually feels like an improvement to me personally. I hardly ever eat at JR here because it is so outrageously priced. I mean come on...it is a burger and fries!!

Carol;

I made not have made my point very well. I agree with all of you that it seems you are nickel and dimed to death on a cruise. This will be my first cruise and I went from thinking I would only need spending money $200-$300 at the most too realizing I need closer to $750-$1000. I knew that I would have to pay for alcohol, excursions, and gambling but I had no idea about: Chops, Portifinos, tips, pictures, spa treatments, exercise classes, Ben and Jerry's, soda, ironing, JR, special coffees, ect.

I just meant that compared to what I have to pay at home for JR, this is probably the only extra cost that actually feels like an improvement to me personally. I hardly ever eat at JR here because it is so outrageously priced. I mean come on...it is a burger and fries!!

Remember those extra things are just that extra things. I went on the AOS with a Johnny Rockets in 2002 and I never found a reason to eat a burger there, and the burgers were free then. I usually get a bowl of icecream for dessert every night, even if I have another dessert, and icecream one time a day is more than I do at home. I think it is quite easy to avoid most of the "nickle and dimeing" by exercising restraint. Spa treatments are not free just about anywhere that I know of, and they are more expensive on a ship than at the local providers in your home town, but are quite comparable to the prices at a fancy resort. Pictures are pricey, but how often do you and your family have an oppurtunity to do a sitting when everyone is together and you are already dressed up. Take the photos, but you don't have to buy them, certainly you don't have to buy them all. Eating at Chops in nice, and the food is generally better than the dining room, having said that I have always been able to find something that was satisfactory on the menu, and we generally don't do the specialty restaurant more than once on a cruise. Of course, sometimes the ship overnights in port and then I always spend way more in a land restaurant in the port than I would ever spend even at the specialty restaurant on the ship. And so it goes.

Remember the extras are just that extras, and most of us find the regulars are pretty good and more than adequate.

jc

Archived