Can you stand one more newby question??!

Yes, it's time for another newby question!! Okay, so hubby and I are taking our first cruise -- a gift from my brother and sis-in-law who are celebrating their 30th anniversary and they want us to cruise with them. (what a deal, right?!!) We'll be on the Empress of the Sea -- Bermuda bound. Anyway, we're not into the busy beach scene -- we prefer something a little bit more mellow. What's your suggestion for a great beach for us to spend a day, the best way to get there and what to take along. (could we pick up a cheap cooler somewhere and fill it with refreshments?). Thanks to all of you who post such incredibly helpful information! :D

Wow, what a wonderful gift. Welcome to Cruise Critic.

I've never been to Bermuda, so I can't help you there...but if you aren't beach people I'm sure the ship will offer some excursions, or you could just go shopping.

Yes, it's time for another newby question!! Okay, so hubby and I are taking our first cruise -- a gift from my brother and sis-in-law who are celebrating their 30th anniversary and they want us to cruise with them. (what a deal, right?!!) We'll be on the Empress of the Sea -- Bermuda bound. Anyway, we're not into the busy beach scene -- we prefer something a little bit more mellow. What's your suggestion for a great beach for us to spend a day, the best way to get there and what to take along. (could we pick up a cheap cooler somewhere and fill it with refreshments?). Thanks to all of you who post such incredibly helpful information! :D

Look for a recent thread from "MrPete". He took his family on a 5 niter from NY to Bermuda and stayed at a Bermuda beach one day. There is a link on his posts to his album at an internet website, so you can check out the beach from his posts.

Bermuda is not St Martin (think Orient Beach) and the beaches should be quiet.

GO HERE

http://travel.webshots.com/slideshow/560329996JDWOlE

The pictures are scattered thru the slide show, stay for the full showing. Right click the above link to open a new window and keep this thread open also.

Also, the ship pictured is bigger and newer than the Empress whose cabins run along the small size.

It's been years since I've been to Bermuda, I was using Uncle Sammy's underwater cruise line then. My wife and I stayed at the Elbow Beach Resort then, and the beach was much less crowded than most are. I don't know if you can go there without staying at the resort, but I believe you can. Taxis then were fairly reasonable, too.

It's been many years since we went to Bermuda and we also went to Elbow Beach. Have you tried the port of call board for Bermuda? I think you will be able to get answers there. Post your question if it doesn't seem there are answers to your question at this time.

Enjoy Bermuda, it's beautiful.

Elbow Beach is a beautiful beach. Another nice beach is Horseshoe Beach. The easiest way to get around Bermuda is by bus. You can purchase an all day bus pass at the Purser's desk. Don't know about the cooler idea. I know Horseshoe had a stand there don't remember about Elbow. The beaches there the sand feels like flour & is not hot.

Depends on when you're going as to the beaches being crowded. Sept. and Oct. are not crowded. There are numerous beaches that are not crowded and the Ports of Call-Bermuda board will give many recommendations. You cannot use a resort's beach, they're for registered guest only.

The best way to get around is by public transportation which includes busses and ferries. Bermuda is only about 21 miles long so nothing is really that far. The Empress docks in both Hamilton and St. George so it's easy to get anywhere from either place. Personally, I don't recommend renting scooters. With narrow roads, a good bit of traffic at times and driving on the "wrong" side of the road can all make for a disaster. Seems like we always see at least one person on the ship with SERIOUS road rash. But, that's your choice.

Some of the beaches have concessions with refreshments. As far as getting a cheap cooler, nothing is cheap in Bermuda and everything is quite expensive. A look around a grocery store was a real eye opener. We always eat a hearty beakfast before heading out and usually only get light snacks and drinks. Helps to keep off cruise pounds.

Congrats on your first cruise! Bermuda is gorgeous and I hope all of you will have a wonderful time there.

The popular beach in Bermuda is Horseshoe Bay Beach. The beach has a snack bar, umbrella/chair rentals as well as showers/bathrooms. When you walk on the beach you can go right to a nice cove where the water is calm and you are surrounded by rock formations. The main beach has wave action and is very large. Even on a busy day you can find your own private spot. DH/I were there three times and it was never crowded.

Last year DH/I went to Jobson's Cove which is adjacent to Warwick Bay Beach. There are no facilities, snack bar, etc. so what you bring with you is all you have. Gorgeous beach and it was quiet.

Nothing is cheap in Bermuda. DH/I always had a large breakfast to hold us over, packed bottled water with us (that we brought on the ship), etc. Our ritual is bus to beach for a few hours, bus to Hamilton and ate at Flanagan's. Took ferry back to ship since we were docked in King's Wharf.

You can take the bus from King's Wharf or Hamilton to either beach. Tokens/day passes can be purchased on the ship if that is available to you.

Definitely bring your camera since the beaches in Bermuda are gorgeous!

Have a fantastic cruise and hope all of you will enjoy Bermuda.. it's a great place!

Sea ya!

I wrote a newbie cruise guide for my sister's first cruise....and then she canceled it!!! LOL

Anyway, if anyone wants a copy, email me at pcurri at yahoo dot com, and I'd be happy to send one off to you.

Can't help with Bermuda, because we spent a day on the public bus seeing most of the island. Very interesting day.

Archived