Dining Room Etiquette

jenny111

I would advise excusing yourself from the table before cleaning one's dentures. Your travelling companion(s) might be okay with it, but the others at your table (and around you) would probably have a problem with it. Would hate to see you become a 'don't you hate' topic on another board.

Charlie

Just wondering, what does everyone think about dentures in the dining room. Would it be considered bad etiquette to take ones dentures out between courses for cleaning purposes?

Troll alert:eek: .

Ya think?

Happy Sails!

Romy

Just wondering, what does everyone think about dentures in the dining room. Would it be considered bad etiquette to take ones dentures out between courses for cleaning purposes?

Jenny, You owe me a can of screen cleaner. (read up before assuming - this is not a troll)

Cheers

what's a "troll"?

I could be wrong, it's happened a time or two;) , but a troll is someone who starts a thread to "bait" us into a silly discussion. In other words, a jokester:p .

Hope this helps.

Happy Sails!

Romy

Of course not! It would be totally normal to do something like that. Said the stork...:)

Of course they can take out the dentures, as long as they also allow navel lint cleaning and removal of toe jam in the dining room. This has got to be one of the dumbest questions on these boards in a long time. But after looking at some of her previous posts, I think we just have a little bit of a "troublemaker" here.

what's a "troll"?

Its what collects the toll money on a bridge and lives underneith.

I also hate to see (and hear!) ppl using toothpicks in the middle of a restaurant - do it when you leave, folks! It is gross!

So using my straw to pick the chunks of lobster out from between my teeth before my steak comes is rude?

I know a man that can turn his sideways in his mouth and clean them by sucking the stuff from between them.

It is rude and gross. Some things should be done in private.

I know a man that can turn his sideways in his mouth and clean them by sucking the stuff from between them.

It is rude and gross. Some things should be done in private.

Ugh. I just threw up a little in my mouth.

Ugh. I just threw up a little in my mouth.

OMG, I just snorted coffee out my nose - that one just killed me!!!!!

Seriously, jenny111, I don't mind if you clean your dentures at my dinner table if you don't mind me blowing my snotty nose in the lovely white cloth napkin, or putting my foot on the table to show you the blister my new shoes gave me, or if I pick a pimple on my friend's back. Have at it. :rolleyes:

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

I thought a troll was one of those cute little creatures from Lord of The Rings.

No, that's a Hobbit.

As for the dentures in the dining room - I personally wouldn't appreciate it if you were at my dinner table and would probably ask to be seated elsewhere if you made a habit of it. Sorry. Some things should be done in private ;)

I could be wrong, it's happened a time or two;) , but a troll is someone who starts a thread to "bait" us into a silly discussion. In other words, a jokester:p .

Hope this helps.

Happy Sails!

Romy

I agree with your suspicions... the original question simply cannot be serious. LOL

No, that's a Hobbit.

As for the dentures in the dining room - I personally wouldn't appreciate it if you were at my dinner table and would probably ask to be seated elsewhere if you made a habit of it. Sorry. Some things should be done in private ;)

I agree with your suspicions... the original question simply cannot be serious. LOL

Actually, Jenny was a victim of such a person on one of her previous cruises. This is snipped from the original Roll Call post -

"The safari suit reminds me of a passenger (who we called 'Wild Man Bill') He was on the same table as us for dinner but he was on the early sitting (we were on the late). Even though he ate at a different time to us, we were still grossed out by the stories his dining companions used to tell us - such as, between dinner courses, he would take his teeth out (!) and clean individually between each tooth with a toothpick at the table!!!! Ewwwww!!!

(I don't know... I am pretty polite, but I DEFINETLY would have asked for a new dinner table allocation... either that, or had room service every night. It may be just me, but I don't see why you should have to pay thousands of dollars to go on a cruise and watch someone clean their dentures during dinner every night).

Anyway, the reason the 'safari suit' thread reminded me of him was because WMB used to wear a beige t-shirt with a drawing of a pub and some outback slogan on it. Every day he would wear it with the same pair of beige shorts until formal night when he would wear the SAME t-shirt with a long pair of beige pants".

So, sorry people, not quite a troll. It is good that you agree that it is unacceptable behaviour. I have heard plenty of tales about tablemates from hell.

Has anybody ever encountered any similarly disgusting habits from a tablemate that is in violation of dining room etiquette?

Cheers

Geoff

Actually, Jenny was a victim of such a person on one of her previous cruises. This is snipped from the original Roll Call post -

"The safari suit reminds me of a passenger (who we called 'Wild Man Bill') He was on the same table as us for dinner but he was on the early sitting (we were on the late). Even though he ate at a different time to us, we were still grossed out by the stories his dining companions used to tell us - such as, between dinner courses, he would take his teeth out (!) and clean individually between each tooth with a toothpick at the table!!!! Ewwwww!!!

(I don't know... I am pretty polite, but I DEFINETLY would have asked for a new dinner table allocation... either that, or had room service every night. It may be just me, but I don't see why you should have to pay thousands of dollars to go on a cruise and watch someone clean their dentures during dinner every night).

Anyway, the reason the 'safari suit' thread reminded me of him was because WMB used to wear a beige t-shirt with a drawing of a pub and some outback slogan on it. Every day he would wear it with the same pair of beige shorts until formal night when he would wear the SAME t-shirt with a long pair of beige pants".

So, sorry people, not quite a troll. It is good that you agree that it is unacceptable behaviour. I have heard plenty of tales about tablemates from hell.

Has anybody ever encountered any similarly disgusting habits from a tablemate that is in violation of dining room etiquette?

Cheers

Geoff

Thank you Geoff... you are a gentleman in the true sense of the word - and your name is down for an autographed copy :)

I will be accepting personal apologies from the members who called me a troll on an ad hoc basis.

I was in Bali a couple of years back and I had just had breakfast and was talking to a lady I had met via a travel forum( first met her the day before) and I mentioned I was going to the dentist that morning . Well she asked me to get her a quote on some work - I must have looked a little preplexed because she took her top denture out and began to explain what work she wanted done.

Thanks Geoff for clearing up the misunderstanding :) Jenny, please come join us over in P&O Aust some time. I'm sure you'll find many stories there to add to your list :p

I don't really have a horror story from dinner mates but the worst people i've ever been seated with would have been these 2 women in their late 30's on our last cruise. Apart from introducing themselves they refused to say another word to anyone on the first night and when they did speak it was only to each other and it was all whispered behind their hands!!! :eek: :cool: Hubby and I and the other couple that were unfortunate enough to be seated with these 2 women moved to a new table the next night ;)

Archived