NCL's Advertised Room Upgrades

pocopelo

Hey, good news. I finally got my upgrade from oceanview to balcony. It was a lower level balcony (not the highest available) but who cares? As long as we got our balcony for an oceanview price. Apparently there are scores of supervisors and I finally got a "personal cruise consultant" who had a supervisor who was reasonable. An agent for NCL earlier in the week suggested they do a booking for me at the balcony level and then see from there whether someone would adjust the price once a reservation was in the system and it finally worked.

Hey, good news. I finally got my upgrade from oceanview to balcony. It was a lower level balcony (not the highest available) but who cares? As long as we got our balcony for an oceanview price. Apparently there are scores of supervisors and I finally got a "personal cruise consultant" who had a supervisor who was reasonable. An agent for NCL earlier in the week suggested they do a booking for me at the balcony level and then see from there whether someone would adjust the price once a reservation was in the system and it finally worked.

Good for you. I had absolutely no success. I was told that NCL has the right to change prices and offers anytime they want. The fact that their reservation system was down did not mean anything.

Good for you. I had absolutely no success. I was told that NCL has the right to change prices and offers anytime they want. The fact that their reservation system was down did not mean anything.

Even if the system was up, they could have been SOLD OUT of the special you were trying to get anyway. And, as said by others, another special might come along.

Meanwhile, I am amazed at people that are going to change cruiselines because they could not get a certain "sale". Changing because you like the way another cruiseline does things, or better intinerary or better price makes sense, but....

NCL's decision not to honor their special in light of the fact that it was their own reservation system that was at fault is "penny wise and pound foolish."

In my case, the difference between an ocean view cabin and balcony was about $200/person. Obviously, I would have booked directly with NCL if they had honored their offer. Thus, they would not have paid a commission to a TA for the booking, reducing their total "price difference" to well under $200.

This would have been our first cruise on NCL. Since we are Diamond on RCL (ten cruises) and have taken 6 cruises on Carnival, I would think they would have been interested in "converting" me to NCL. This may now never happen.

Anyone who was a first time cruiser would look somewhere else in the future.

In addition, there are negative feelings from previous NCL cruisers who are upset that NCL did not honor their sale.

IMHO. this fiasco with their reservation system and unwillingness of management to honor their offer is a fairly dumb business decision!

I booked the Dawn using this promotion on the 15th but it was only going to run until a specific time OR until they sold what was available for the sale I believe the small print read - I booked the day I saw it and it was oceanview to balcony. If it makes you feel better the promotion had died down in two days (the 17th) to a lower level balcony on the sailing I had and then on Friday the (18th) it was gone. I think they only slate so many cabins to book and then that is it. That is why I jumped on it so quick. Capacity controled I believe is what they call it. I noticed it was for the Sun and Dawn with awesome prices - the Sun was like $549 a balcony!!! I didn't want Western and went with the Eastern for $629 a balcony. Sorry this happened but I am pretty sure if you read the small print it was capacity controlled or what ever they call it..... :( More specials do come though :) so watch everyday because some only last for a day or just a few days before they are booked up.. Good Luck. :o Debbie

o.k. so here's a solution (NCL are you listening?)

Reinstitute the upgrade sale (interior to oceanview, oceanview to balcony) for the same amount of time that the computer system was down.

Have a 2 day or three day sale that allows these bookings. Not only would it be fair and responsive to criticism - it would also be a positive for the company in showing that NCL listens to AND responds to its constomers.

NCL is not listening. Then ran a short term sale. Maybe they already sold out of the available cabins before the system went down. Whatever the situation, they do not feel a need to run the sale again. It is there business and if they do not need to run the sale, they won't.

It has nothing to do with being "FAIR", it is about selling cabins at the highest price they can get.

Gee whiz. Let it go.

NCL is not listening. Then ran a short term sale. Maybe they already sold out of the available cabins before the system went down. Whatever the situation, they do not feel a need to run the sale again. It is there business and if they do not need to run the sale, they won't.

It has nothing to do with being "FAIR", it is about selling cabins at the highest price they can get.

Gee whiz. Let it go.

Thanks for your impassioned response.

Interested to hear that, from your enlightened perspective, being "fair" means nothing.

I take it you work for NCL since you state, "they do not feel a need to run the sale again."

Inside information???

No, I do not work for any cruiseline.

I have booked cruises that were on sale and gotten a good price.

I have also booked cruises that had a sale later that were for new bookings only. Didn't like it, but the cruiseline did honor the originally agreed upon price, so we cruised and had a great time.

I did not get mad at the cruiseline because they offered a few cabins at a reduced price so they could fill the ship.

I really do not know where the term or idea of FAIR comes from. What has that got to do with anything?

I really do not know where the term or idea of FAIR comes from. What has that got to do with anything?

It comes from your post! Here's what you said...

"It has nothing to do with being "FAIR", it is about selling cabins at the highest price they can get."

..... Not only would it be fair and responsive to criticism - it would also be a positive for the company in showing that NCL listens to AND responds to its constomers.

This is the term "fair" I was responding to.

o.k... here's the "real deal."

1. NCL advertises a sale offering upgrades from interior to oceanview and oceanview to balcony

2. NCL's reservation system is needed to book the offer

3. NCL's reservation system is "off-line"

4. When the reservation system is back "on-line" the offer has expired.

Was that "FAIR?"

Not just unfair, but engenders comments of disingenuity!

I have offered a simple solutition to NCL.

What's the problem?

o.k... here's the "real deal."

1. NCL advertises a sale offering upgrades from interior to oceanview and oceanview to balcony

2. NCL's reservation system is needed to book the offer

3. NCL's reservation system is "off-line"

4. When the reservation system is back "on-line" the offer has expired.

Was that "FAIR?"

Not just unfair, but engenders comments of disingenuity!

I have offered a simple solutition to NCL.

What's the problem?

o.k. - here's the update...

NCL reinstituted the sale today and I was able to secure a balcony for the price of an outside.

Thank you NCL!

I'm happy you got your cruise for the fares you wanted..:)

Thanks again.

This will be our first cruise on NCL. We're looking forward to seeing how free style cruising works out.

Don't tell Mrs. Yogimax, but I'm looking forward to leaving my black suit at home!:)

Archived