Using Tri-Rail from FLL to MIA?

willoughbyclan

Someone recently posted their experience with using Tri-Rail from FLL to MIA then taking shuttle to Metro-Rail station then traveling on to government station to catch people mover to downtown hotel but I cannot find the thread. He stated on his post that he or his wife worked for Airtran and they had traveled this way several times. If he or anyone else could please respond, I was curious just has difficult that process would be for my husband and I?

It is REALLY cheap and my husband and I have used public transportation before in both Waikiki (bus) and Chicago (train) without any problems. We have all day so time is not really an issue for us, although we would prefer not to spend all day on a train.

Is it really that simple? If so, can someone provide me with exact details on the process starting from FLL, etc.

In my humble opinion, don't. Take a moment and save the small amount of money that it will take to take a van or taxi. It is just too much of a hassle, especially if you will have luggage. It really is not that easy in that the times are not coordinated and you could end up waiting an inordinate amount of time between changes of transportation also. I mean you are on vacation. If you save an extra $5 a week you will have enough for the taxi in between 3-4 months. If you are that type of adventurous types, then it would be fun to do.

Pooh

If a time frame is not a problem, I see no reason not to take it.

Lets say if you leave the Ft. Lauderdale airport stop, and you leave at 11:03am you arrive at the Metrorail at 11:33 change trains, now you would be on the metrorail (High tracks) that goes to the downtown Miami area. Then get off downtown and take a taxi. I don't know where your going in Miami, but it is easy as long as you are not on a strict time schedule.

Only advice is do not take it at night and keep an eye out on your luggage. No problem.

Linda

Someone recently posted their experience with using Tri-Rail from FLL to MIA then taking shuttle to Metro-Rail station then traveling on to government station to catch people mover to downtown hotel but I cannot find the thread. He stated on his post that he or his wife worked for Airtran and they had traveled this way several times. If he or anyone else could please respond, I was curious just has difficult that process would be for my husband and I?

It is REALLY cheap and my husband and I have used public transportation before in both Waikiki (bus) and Chicago (train) without any problems. We have all day so time is not really an issue for us, although we would prefer not to spend all day on a train.

Is it really that simple? If so, can someone provide me with exact details on the process starting from FLL, etc.

Hi

You do it,tri-rail.metro rail,then metro mover,all for $4, check which hotel Downtown, or post it.

Travelled this journey both ways.how many times is I 95 blocked

If you are going to the ship mid week, bus 243 $1.50

Im not sure who said it was simple...its far from simple. I lived about 10 years in Hawaii where the bus comes often and easy to use.

Good luck, let us know how well it worked.

In my humble opinion, don't. Take a moment and save the small amount of money that it will take to take a van or taxi. It is just too much of a hassle, especially if you will have luggage. It really is not that easy in that the times are not coordinated and you could end up waiting an inordinate amount of time between changes of transportation also. I mean you are on vacation. If you save an extra $5 a week you will have enough for the taxi in between 3-4 months. If you are that type of adventurous types, then it would be fun to do.

Pooh

Right....I cant see this being worth lugging all my luggage around to save $20 on a taxi fare. Maybe Im just getting old lol.

What world do you live in. The cab fare from MIA is 25.00$ alone, but from FLL its over a 100.00$$$$$$$$. Like other working people we need to save all we can. You don't lug your luggage all around. You catch a bus( not a city bus), its a charter bus(no charge) to the train station. Buy your train ticket. Catch the train to MIA The train has lots of luggage racks. Then get off at MIA and catch a cab for 25.00$ to the port. I have never used the other smaller rail. I cannot comment on it. But getting to the port is easy this way. Some people say will tell you it might break down and other stuff, because they don't use it. If I lived in the Maimi area and owned a car I would use my car too. But I don't and this is a great way to get around. Many, Many times I see cars sitting on the freeway because of a accident or rush hour and the train is flying by at 50 or 60 miles per hour. Use it because its so easy a CAVEMAN could do it. Don't want to hear back from any cavemen now it was just a joke. Live with it LOL

Shared rides are much less (that is what I meant by a "van" - again, you are on vacation. If you are so money conscious (which I am too by the way) then you are one of those people who book their cruise at least 1 year ahead to get the best pricing-so you have plenty of time to treat yourselves to a shared ride or cab as a way to pamper yourself the first day of your great cruise vacation! If I were only backpacking it like I have done in Europe, then yes, go for it. Otherwise, be nice to yourselves and take the cab or van!

Pooh

The only part of that trip that I make regularly is the metrorail-people mover portion. When you exit metrorail at the government center you must go down a long escalator, thru a turnstile out a door, than either wait on a platform for the outer loop of the people mover ( that takes you to the freedom tower, closest to the port) or down a winding staircase under the tracks and up another winding staircase for the inner loop (that takes you to bayside). That may be tough with lots of luggage.

You could exit at the government center and catch a cab there, you are actually very close to the port at that point.

If I took the tri rail and public transportation from FLL to port I would be so aggrivated by the time I got there it would ruin my cruise.

It isn't really set up for tourists hauling luggage but day commuters.

It is nothing like public transportation in Chicago, DC, New York, Boston, etc.

Ehhh......tri-rail is a PITA with luggage......metro mover needs to be cleaned up (sorry-----it was kinda icky when i was on a few weeks ago) I actually did tri-rail from FLL a/p stop to the transfer center where i switched to the train, then to the people mover then i got off and walked 5 blocks in the hot to the JW marriott.....(ok so it was a little bad planning but i wanted to NOT use cabs....trying to save the environment, etc)

it isn't bad, but it can be a struggle with bags......and a bunch of us tried to use the ramp.....the tri-rail train didn't pull up anywhere near it...they were only about 10 minutes late (rode it a few times) but the conductors really rush you to get on and off....so...that's just my 2 cents

OP here. My husband and I were planning on staying at the Radisson downtown the day before our cruise leaves. Our flight arrives into FLL around 11:30am on Thursday 9/20. Per the hotel, there is a metromover stop at the door of the hotel so not much walking would be required. I guess I am still not sure which option we will take, either the shared ride at $36 or the Tri-Rail.

For our return we have rented a car from Dollar so that we can be picked up at the port, rent from the nearest office and return car to FLL.

I do appreciate your responses.:)

I vote for the Tri-Rail. I used to vacation in West Palm Beach every year as a teen and paid my own way so had to stay on the cheap. I would fly into either MIA or FLL and take the provided bus to the train station, then the Palm Tran (Palm Beach Country buses) to with in a block of my Aunt's house for $3.50 total. I had mounds of luggage (until I realized I didn't need it all and went to the other extreme of a back back for a 2 week trip) and as a young single woman did just fine and always felt safe. Though, I did keep my wits about me and dressed down to keep a low profile. I have also done the same to the ports. After visiting family in WPB my DH and I took the train to the station closest to the port (can't remember which one but you can look on their train map) and than took a cab to the port. Cost us about $15.00 for the cab. We also took the train when traveling with our DD and luggage. No hassel. I like Tri-Rail, it is convienent, usually on time with good connecting service once you figure it out and best of all....really cheap! Personally, I am the type of traveler that would rather have a bit more hassle and save the $100.00 to spend on the ship on a massage or excursion where I am getting a better value for the dollar (Personal opinion of course) You can find all of the schedules, linking transportation maps etc... online through google.

Have a great trip!

Until the CSX Freight Trains relinquishes the control of the tracks to Tri-Rail their timetable will never be accurate and the chances of being stalled on the tracks for an hour or more remains (this happens more often then not). Even though they've added a second track to alleviate this problem the Tri-Rail trains are still getting held up as track priority is given to CSX.

Archived