Remember When

DieHard

Remember When:

You booked a cruise and everything was included. Cruise, air and overnight stay in a hotel.

TA's sent you a bottle wine and it was delivered to your room.

Drink of the day cost $1.50 as well as other cocktails.

The food was great and you didn't have to pay extra to eat at the specialty restaurants to get better food. I remember frog legs and other exotic items on the menu.

There was a theme night at dinner each night and the staff dressed in outfits.

On formal nights you were required to dress up it wasn't suggested dress.

The ships had a swimming pool not like todays small pools and enough lounge chairs to go around.

You paid cash for drinks, gift shop items and tips. You didn't have a large credit card debt after you got home.

There was a masquerade ball and people brought an outfit or you could make one on the ship (the ship supplied the items).

There was a midnight buffet everynight.

The cruise lines were all trying to get your business and went out of their way to get it. Seems like now days they care less because if you don't like it someone will be along to take your place.

There are numerous other things to remember, so maybe you might recall some.

Cruising also was a vacation for the well-heeled, well-to-do clientele, almost like what airplane flying was 40 or 50 years ago. People who could afford the best for holidays, and money was not an object of concern.

Today, in the "Mass-marketization" of cruising, the apparently thin profit margins of the major cruise lines, and so forth, the emphasis has changed from being something exclusive, to casting a wide net instead.

Michael

Remember When:

Our first cruise was in 1972 on RCCL Song of Norway. Yep, I remember.

You booked a cruise and everything was included. Cruise, air and overnight stay in a hotel.

Yep, and the flight was a miserable charter cattle car red eye, out of an obscure terminal, not the main terminal. We got to Miami dead tired and then they rode us around in a bus for hours before going to the ship.

Yep, my full service TA still does, unless she sends chocolate covered strawberries which weren't even available on our first cruise.

And gas was 33 cents a gallon to drive to the port ...

The food was great and you didn't have to pay extra to eat at the specialty restaurants to get better food. I remember frog legs and other exotic items on the menu.

The food was every bit as good as it is now, and there were NO specialty restaurants. I do remember the frog legs but don't remember escargot.

Yep. That was cute. These days it is not so much emphasized.

Well, I don't know if it was REQUIRED. Jacket and tie was suggested for gentlemen, and dresses for ladies, EVERY night. It seems that folks back then were more sensitive to others, and complied willingly with the suggested dress. I think it was nice.

The ships had a swimming pool not like todays small pools and enough lounge chairs to go around.

No, I don't remember anything but small pools. I do recall that the small ships, not well stabilized, had so many waves in the pool it was quite a sight!

You paid cash for drinks, gift shop items and tips. You didn't have a large credit card debt after you got home.

Yep, and it was quite a pain in the butt to carry around those small bills all the time. SignNSail is so much easier.

There was a masquerade ball and people brought an outfit or you could make one on the ship (the ship supplied the items).

That was fun. There was always a couple who hung some toilet seats around their necks, and appeared as "first and second seating."

Our first cruise I made several. Now I don't even make the one they do have!

The cruise lines were all trying to get your business and went out of their way to get it. Seems like now days they care less because if you don't like it someone will be along to take your place.

We have been treated magnificently by the cruise lines for all those years. When the past pax clubs came along, RCCL even credited us for cruises taken before their records, because we sent them pictures!;)

The CD's passing out ticker tape, and a band playing on shore when we sailed away from every port! And an old lady, standing on the dock, picking up the ticker tapes that did not unroll and putting them in a shopping bag!

NO TV in the rooms!

NO buffet, every meal in the dining room, assigned seating. They did have burgers and dogs by the pool for lunch.

Bouillon served on deck mid-morning.

On Chandris America lines, assigned deck chairs.

EVERYBODY went on the Kon-Tiki party boat in St. Thomas, and drank the 150 proof rum punch.

Ah, those were the days ....... ???

Check out our 1972-1986 trip reports and pics at

http://www.elite.net/~thehalls/earlycruises.html

Remember When:

:) So glad things have changed since then or I certainly wouldn't have been able to afford such luxury. Can barely afford to do it now but have done it twice already. Hopefully 2 more before retirement looms - certainly won't be able to afford it then:mad:

Thanks for the memories! I also remember:

1. Indoor pools way down in the bottom of the ships (ice cold water..brrr)

2. Free champagne sailaways with paper streamers

3. Skeet shooting off the stern

4. Huge buffets each night including lobster, caviar, etc.

5. Super large staterooms

6. Super large dance floors and big orchestras playing

7. Bottles of wine & champagne prizes for all the games

8. Talent shows & costume contests galore

9. Getting aquainted with fellow pax lounging on the promenade decks under the lifeboats.

Do you remember...

a pack of RCL playing cards in each cabin

a large paper map of the itinary in each cabin

the booklet with all passengers names on

We still have a couple of decks of those cards and some match books with the names of all their ships listed:

Song of Norway

Nordic Prince

Sun Viking

Song of America

Where are they now?

Do you remember...

a pack of RCL playing cards in each cabin

a large paper map of the itinary in each cabin

the booklet with all passengers names on

Going through some old cruise pictures, I found a deck of cards and the booklet with all the passengers names in it. Such good memories.:)

Our first cruise was in 1972 on RCCL Song of Norway. Yep, I remember.

Yep, and the flight was a miserable charter cattle car red eye, out of an obscure terminal, not the main terminal. We got to Miami dead tired and then they rode us around in a bus for hours before going to the ship.

Yep, my full service TA still does, unless she sends chocolate covered strawberries which weren't even available on our first cruise.

And gas was 33 cents a gallon to drive to the port ...

The food was every bit as good as it is now, and there were NO specialty restaurants. I do remember the frog legs but don't remember escargot.

Yep. That was cute. These days it is not so much emphasized.

Well, I don't know if it was REQUIRED. Jacket and tie was suggested for gentlemen, and dresses for ladies, EVERY night. It seems that folks back then were more sensitive to others, and complied willingly with the suggested dress. I think it was nice.

No, I don't remember anything but small pools. I do recall that the small ships, not well stabilized, had so many waves in the pool it was quite a sight!

Yep, and it was quite a pain in the butt to carry around those small bills all the time. SignNSail is so much easier.

That was fun. There was always a couple who hung some toilet seats around their necks, and appeared as "first and second seating."

Our first cruise I made several. Now I don't even make the one they do have!

We have been treated magnificently by the cruise lines for all those years. When the past pax clubs came along, RCCL even credited us for cruises taken before their records, because we sent them pictures!;)

The CD's passing out ticker tape, and a band playing on shore when we sailed away from every port! And an old lady, standing on the dock, picking up the ticker tapes that did not unroll and putting them in a shopping bag!

NO TV in the rooms!

NO buffet, every meal in the dining room, assigned seating. They did have burgers and dogs by the pool for lunch.

Bouillon served on deck mid-morning.

On Chandris America lines, assigned deck chairs.

EVERYBODY went on the Kon-Tiki party boat in St. Thomas, and drank the 150 proof rum punch.

Ah, those were the days ....... ???

Check out our 1972-1986 trip reports and pics at

http://www.elite.net/~thehalls/earlycruises.html

I never cruised back when...

I liked the way you remember things. It sounded like fun...almost as much as it is NOW! :D

Gina

Just when I was started to feel old I saw this thread and now I feel young again. Thanks for putting a spring in my step because I have no recollection of any of those things!:D

Except .33 a gallon of gasoline….but I was just a kid and didn’t take cruises! ;)

My husband cruised a couple times in the 70's (before us), This is what he told me:

Ships are so much nicer now than they were back then. The ride is smoother, the cabins are larger.

The food was never gourmet, more like banquet food, same as now.

You had to pay for drinks, tips and souvenirs. Other than being charged for soda now, he can't remember anything else being included, so much for "nickeled and dimed" I read about on CC. Drinks may have been cheaper, but as others have pointed out, everything else in life was cheaper.

He did say that hotels were included in the price, if didn't put you on a red-eye flight and arrived in Miami at 6am.

I think many times we reminisce and remember things as being so much better than they actually were. I know French fries don't taste nearly as good now as they did when I was a kid.

I think you can still get that ambiance that you remember, if you go to the luxury lines and pay the price.

Not all ships were air-conditioned throughout - just in main lounges and dining rooms.

Cabins "without facilities" were common on the lower decks - you had to walk down the hall to the loo.

You could host an on-board Bon Voyage party.

Just out of curiosity, are some/all of the OP's list still available on the premium lines?

As others have said, I am glad for the changes because I can afford to enjoy cruises. Some changes are for the better, although the idea of the personalized itinerary and masquerade ball are fabulous.

Going through some old cruise pictures, I found a deck of cards and the booklet with all the passengers names in it. Such good memories.:)

I did too!! :D I found the passenger list booklet, cards from two lines, and plastic swizzle sticks w/ship's logos on one end (from 4 different lines). :)

My first was on Sovereign of the Seas in 1990. The dress code for a 7 nighter was 2 - Formal, 1 - Semi-Formal (Business Suit and tie), 1 - Smart Casual (sport coat and tie) and 3 Casual. The drink of the day souvenir glass was actually worth keeping :), you didn't have to pay for a soft drink and as mentioned above, all the other goodies that were available. The food was outstanding when compared to today. The cruise was a truly elegant experience. Cruises back then were also a heck of a lot more expensive than today. The ships of today, while big, are much better than the older ships.

I may not be able to be a "way back when" cruiser. I am 23. lol :D

But I did, go on a carnival ship in 1988. The only thing i remember is one night at dinner the waiters were singing and dancing, and one of the waiters grabbed me out of my chair and held me in his arms while he danced around the dining room. i was terrified......lol......who is this strange man and why did he take me away from my parents without even asking? :p It was all good fun back then.........

but can you imagine if that were to happen now? The parents would freak out and think their child was being kidnapped by a person who appeared to be a waiter........dateline would have a special "tonight on a special to catch a predator...is your cruise ship safe?........"

also, the ship we took was 46,000 tons...........that is a sailboat in today's cruising world!

LOL......:D

My first cruise was in 1981 on Home Lines' Oceanic. Gosh, how I loved that ship. All employees were Italian, lots of Italian food too. I was divorced as was my good friend, so she and I shared cabins in those days. One bed was a bed and the other "bed" was a couch during the day. So different from today.

We sailed on a lot of Home Lines cruises. We were always seated with other singles at large tables. All meals were in the dining room and we went to our assigned tables for the meals.

The pool chairs were rented for the week. Each rental had the renter's name on the back of it. When initially renting you had to tell the attendant if you wanted sun or shade with your chair. No chair hogs in those days.

Drinks were really cheap. I don't remember if we had to pay for soda as I am not a soda drinker. I loved the little booklets that had all the passengers names in them.

Several of our trips on Home Lines went to Bermuda. We had such great times there with other passengers as well as some crew members. After Home Lines went bankrupt, we changed to other lines. By this time though I had gotten my family interested in cruising. We did many short cruises on Emerald Seas. Then we tried Carnival for many cruises. Then NCL, Hal & Princess. I also remarried.

Eventually we got to Celebrity and stayed there for many years. I still love them, but my husband doesn't like the formality, so we sail RCCL now. We have sailed on many lines and times have changed.

The food isn't presented as nicely as it used to be. That was a big plus when we started sailing Celebrity. The food isn't as tasty now, looks good, but tastes kind of flat. The clothing worn isn't as formal or even as nice as what passengers wore years ago. Many changes, not all bad, not all good. Oh well, cruising is still my favorite vacation and although I have been on well over 50 cruises on various lines, each cruise is different and still excites me. I can't wait until we sail again.

I may not be able to be a "way back when" cruiser. I am 23. lol :D

But I did' date=' go on a carnival ship in 1988. The only thing i remember is one night at dinner the waiters were singing and dancing, and one of the waiters grabbed me out of my chair and held me in his arms while he danced around the dining room. i was terrified......lol......who is this strange man and why did he take me away from my parents without even asking? :p It was all good fun back then.........

but can you imagine if that were to happen now? The parents would freak out and think their child was being kidnapped by a person who appeared to be a waiter........dateline would have a special "tonight on a special [i']to catch a predator...is your cruise ship safe?[/i]........"

also, the ship we took was 46,000 tons...........that is a sailboat in today's cruising world!

LOL......:D

That's a cute but funny story. :D

The same thing happened to me on my first Carnival cruise almost 3 years ago. The waiter grabbed me out of me chair and made me dance with him...the chicken dance...on formal night no less. I was 45! And scared. :eek:

My first cruise was in 1962 (does that tell you anything?) Kinda of like in the days of the dinosours LOL. Anyway, I can't remember the name of the ship but it sailed out of Philadelphia to Bermuda and Nassau. The ship was very rocky and when you picked up your foot the floor came up to meet it. Our cabin had a tiny bathroom and was really crowded. But we had a double bed and a set of bunk beds. We also had a small porthole. I remember my friends and I spreading our towels on the wood deck to sunbathe. Why on earth we did that I don't remember but we were pretty young and prone to doing stupid things. Since my friends and I were only 18-19 years old, there wasn't very much for us to do in the evenings. They had nightly entertainment followed by dancing and that was it and no TV!

The next time I cruised was in 2002 with my DH and it was a totally different experience. We've been on 6 cruises since then and have two more booked I think that I enjoy cruising so much better now.

Archived