If not Costa Maya, where?

JackinPhx

Since the latest news is that Costa Maya may be out of commission for 6-8 months, where will the alternative port be if anyone knows? I have a trip scheduled for late November and am wondering if I should switch to an Eastern Caribbean route. Thanks!

During the last time NCL skipped the port of Cozumel for a month or so, and then tendered into Cozumel when all three of its docks were destroyed by hurricane Wilma.

You can switch, but what if another hurricane destroyed docks in the Eastern Caribbean? Even the Atlanitis resort in the Bahammas is just as vulnerable to hurricane damage.

I'm sure they'll schedule an alternate port for your trip.

We were in this situation with Hurricane Ivan. If you remember, with that hurricane Grand Cayman was pretty well trashed and that was one of our stops. :eek: We were on a western Caribbean Cruise in November 2004 on the Sun.

What I did was monitor CC for reports back from people who were on the same cruise itinerary that we were so that I would know what to expect.

Don't bother calling NCL customer service. All they gave people at that time was misinformation. The answer that you were given literally depended on who answered the phone the day you called. :rolleyes: Much of that is documented right here on CC; all you need to do is search for posts dating back to the fall of '04.

Either Roatan or Belize City will pick up the change of itenerary.

Mac:) :) :)

Belize and Roatan are already in the itinerary that includes Costa Maya, at least on my sailing. So I wonder if they'll change it to Cozumel?:confused:

Cozumel or Playa del Carmen are possibilities.

Here's the Spirit's schedule for this winter.

Sun Dec 2 New Orleans, LA 5:30pm

Mon Dec 3 At Sea

Tue Dec 4 Costa Maya, Mexico 8:00am 6:00pm

Wed Dec 5 Santo Tomas de Castilla, Guatemala 8:00am 6:00pm

Thu Dec 6 Belize City, Belize 8:00am 6:00pm

Fri Dec 7 Cozumel, Mexico 8:00am 5:00pm

Sat Dec 8 At Sea

Sun Dec 9 New Orleans, LA 8:00am

Costa Maya is the first port of call on all of it's cruises. Cozumel or Playa del Carmen could be subsituted. Progresso or Grand Cayman are too far out of the way to make the existing itinerary work.

Norwegian Spirit

2007: November 18, 25; December 2, 9, 16, 23, 30

2008: January 6, 13, 20, 27; February 3, 10, 17; March 9, 16, 23

(Note 2 week gap in schedule starting February 24)

Here's the Sun's schedule this winter.

Sat Oct 27 Miami, FL 4:00pm

Sun Oct 28 At Sea

Mon Oct 29 Roatan, Honduras 8:00am 5:00pm

Tue Oct 30 Belize City, Belize 8:00am 5:00pm

Wed Oct 31 Costa Maya, Mexico 7:00am 4:00pm

Thu Nov 1 At Sea

Fri Nov 2 Great Stirrup Cay, Bahamas 9:00am 5:00pm

Sat Nov 3 Miami, FL 8:00am

Costa Maya is the third port of call on it's cruises to Costa Maya.

It has more options. Cozumel, Grand Cayman, or a Jamaican port could be substituted.

Norwegian Sun

2007: October 27; November 3, 10, 17, 24; December 29

2008: January 19, 26; February 2, 9, 16, 23; March 1, 8, 15, 22, 29; April 5, 12

Cozumel is already subsituted for Costa Maya on the Sun's cruises starting on

Norwegian Sun

2007: December 1, 8, 15, 22

2008: January 5, 12

OR NCL could just make the Costa Maya stop an AT SEA day.

What I did was monitor CC for reports back from people who were on the same cruise itinerary that we were so that I would know what to expect.

Don't bother calling NCL customer service. All they gave people at that time was misinformation.

We're on Spirit's first NOLA sailing. So it pretty tough to guess what they will do especially since we're already scheduled to call on the alternate port.

If I had to bet even money... I'd bet on a sea day.

Wouldn't mind tendering to help these folks get back on their feet. We wish them the best as they cope with Dean's aftermath.

Cozumel or Playa del Carmen are possibilities.

Here's the Spirit's schedule for this winter.

Sun Dec 2 New Orleans, LA 5:30pm

Mon Dec 3 At Sea

Tue Dec 4 Costa Maya, Mexico 8:00am 6:00pm

Wed Dec 5 Santo Tomas de Castilla, Guatemala 8:00am 6:00pm

Thu Dec 6 Belize City, Belize 8:00am 6:00pm

Fri Dec 7 Cozumel, Mexico 8:00am 5:00pm

Sat Dec 8 At Sea

Sun Dec 9 New Orleans, LA 8:00am

Costa Maya is the first port of call on all of it's cruises. Cozumel or Playa del Carmen could be subsituted. Progresso or Grand Cayman are too far out of the way to make the existing itinerary work.

We're booked on the Spirit for President's Week (mid February 2008). Seeing as Cozumel is already on the itinerary on Friday, I can't imagine they'd add a 2nd day 3 days earlier. I'd love to see Roatan added to this itinerary, but have no idea if its feasible.

Was Costa Maya severely damaged by Dean?

We're booked on the Spirit for President's Week (mid February 2008). Seeing as Cozumel is already on the itinerary on Friday, I can't imagine they'd add a 2nd day 3 days earlier. I'd love to see Roatan added to this itinerary, but have no idea if its feasible.

Was Costa Maya severely damaged by Dean?

the initial reports say the pier was partially destroyed and it will take 6 months to rebuild but remember this is an initial report. Many times the actual final report is much less bad and they get things back faster...wait a week or two and you will have a better idea. At six months away you are on the edge of it being repaired any way.

the initial reports say the pier was partially destroyed and it will take 6 months to rebuild but remember this is an initial report. Many times the actual final report is much less bad and they get things back faster...wait a week or two and you will have a better idea. At six months away you are on the edge of it being repaired any way.

They could always use tender boats, assuming the tenders move to Costa Maya. I wonder how long Mexico is going to spend millions of dollars rebuilding these piers after hurricanes and storms wipe them out?

They could always use tender boats, assuming the tenders move to Costa Maya. I wonder how long Mexico is going to spend millions of dollars rebuilding these piers after hurricanes and storms wipe them out?

NCL seldom springs for them. Waited on line in Cabo for hours for the "life boat" while Carnival Pride and Princess passengers walked up to local tender boats.

NCL seldom springs for them. Waited on line in Cabo for hours for the "life boat" while Carnival Pride and Princess passengers walked up to local tender boats.

You know that is strange when we were rerouted to Canada on NCL we used local Ferries and the other ships used their own tenders.....sometimes the other ships just had the reservation in first....

Back when Wilma damaged Cozumel, my itinerary was switched to Costa Maya. If Cozumel is already on the itinerary, then I would look for Belize City or Roatan - both great places. Although I believe NCL was not going to be calling on Roatan much anymore as RCI entered into some sort of contract with the island......though not 100% on this.

The piers from Costa Maya ran a semi large ferry operation to different points like Playa Del Carmen...

After Ivan destroyed Grenada, I sailed the Dawn there. We were the 2nd ship to visit the island after its devastation (the Spirit was in the day before). Although it was evident the island was not ready for tourists, the locals were so appreciative. That day, my friends and I set out to just spend money there. Although some on the ship felt they lost a day of vacation, we felt the complete opposite - we were happy to visit to and help start their ecomony back up again.

Prayers to all whose path met with Dean.

Pam

Belize and Roatan are already in the itinerary that includes Costa Maya, at least on my sailing. So I wonder if they'll change it to Cozumel?:confused:
I just read some of the other responses, I would guess Roatan would be the most likely. We are thinking of the Spirit in January.

Nita

I just read some of the other responses, I would guess Roatan would be the most likely. We are thinking of the Spirit in January. Nita

There's a major problem with Roatan, there just one pier.

Here's Roatan's calander for January 2008.

Sun No ship

Mon Norwegian Sun (all), Seabourn Legend (Jan 7)

Tue No ship

Wed Voyager of the Seas (all), Carnival Valor (Jan 9, 23), Costa Mediterranea (Jan 16, 30)

Thu Seven Seas Navigator (Jan 3, 31)

Fri No ship

Sat No ship

The Norwegian Sun is already going to Roatan every Monday, it's date in Costa Maya is on Wednesdays, which is already booked solid with two ships.

The Norwegian Spirit's date with Costa Maya is on Tuesday. Therfore, it could go to Roatan if it could reach Roatan from New Orleans after a 5:30 pm departure. NOT! It makes Costa Maya at 8 am. Roatan is another 185 miles from Costa Maya. At 20 knots, that''s an additonal 9 hours. At 24 knots, that's an additional 8 hours. I really don't think passengers will want to arrive at Roatan at 4 or 5 pm, it'll be twilight, if not dark already.

When checking possibilities, think how far a ship can travel over 16 hours (4 pm departure with an 8 am arrival overnight) {16 x 20 = 320 miles} or over 40 hours (4 pm departure with an 9 am arrival over 2 nights) {20 x 40 = 800 miles}.

New Orleans to Costa Maya is 760 miles. New Orleans to Roatan is 945 miles. As it is, the Norwegian Spirit is sailing very fast to get to Costa Maya on time. :cool: It can't make it to Roatan on time, unless you completely rework it's schedule.

I am booked on the Spirit's 1/20/2008 sailing... If the pier in Costa Maya is not ready, then an additional day at sea would be a welcome thing for DH and me. In the end, I'd like to visit Costa Maya again, but we both feel that 4 port stops on a 7 night itinerary is a little much.

We will sail wherever the Spirit takes us. After all, we'll be on vacation in the middle of winter! It will be warm and beautiful and so it doesn't much matter where we end up.

Taters

I think Costa Maya will be reopened long before its dock is repaired. Instead of being a dock port it will become a tender port. Mexico needs its tourist dollars more than we need to spend it. I would expect to tender, much like after Wilma in Cozumel. That area of Mexico has more tenders than what they actually need.

We are sailing on the Spirit on 12/9. I called NCL yesterday because when I booked I was told that we had until Aug. 25 to cancel and still get our deposit back. Well that was wrong info. The CS told me that a change in ports was up to the captain. I asked if a port was no longer there, like Costa Maya, would they pick another and got the same reply.

One reason we picked this cruise was because it had 4 ports. On our Carnival Glory cruise last Nov. we were a bit bored on the sea days, we had two in a row coming back.

I am hoping they don't replace it with another sea day. I am also hoping we will know this by Sept. 24.

And here I am, fervently hoping that we get another sea day instead of that dump. Part of me wishes that they never repair it, but I know that's just whistling in the wind!

I always get confused by posts such as that. If ya hate it so much just stay on the freakin' ship and make your own sea day. Heck the pools are less crowded & ya won't have to fight off the chair hogs. The spa often has specials...sounds like a win win to me.

Can't agree more MBisson!

After two moderately unpleasant port calls in Jamaica, we 1) try to avoid itineraries that stop there, or 2) we stay on-board and enjoy the quiet surroundings the ship has to offer.

I stopped at this port on the Star Princess in Oct 2004 since Grand Cayman was still not oprn after the hurricane. I hope this port has evolved because it was a pit, just shops at the end of the dock to purchase trinkets. I did the snorkel trip and the reef was dead.

There was a pharmacy upstairs in the shopping area and a lady maxed out her VISA purchasing Valium, I am sure ship security was watching.

Not stopping at Costa Maya may be a good thing.

... The CS told me that a change in ports was up to the captain. I asked if a port was no longer there, like Costa Maya, would they pick another and got the same reply.

while this answer is technically correct, it really answers the wrong question(not your fault). The Captain has the ultimate discretion to change a port because of weather or other safety factor but so far in advance the decision to change will probably be made at NCL's home office. They will either adjust the ports of call now or wait until closer to sailing to see if the Port reopens and how it will work. The usual thing most cruise lines do is say something along the lines for the next 30 or 60 days we will be skipping Costa Maya and doing the following. After that period is over they re evaluate and send out another advisory. The Chances they will make a permanent announcement now about a December sailing is not high.

Archived