How do you really feel about formal nights?

MercedMike

How do you really feel about Formal Nights?  

610 members have voted

1. 1. How do you really feel about Formal Nights?

• Hate it and wish they'd do away with it.
    • Don't dress up and it makes me feel a little out of place.
    • Don't dress up, but it doesn't bother me.
    • Dress up because I'm supposed to, but would rather not.
    • Enjoy dressing for it and don't care what others do.
    • Love it and wish everyone would dress up, but don't let it bother me.
    • Wish they would enforce the formal dress code.

I find that mindset to be a rather presumptuous. Perhaps you should be quite happy on one of the lines favored by an older, and perhaps dressier crowd. :)

I believe that was my point---I am older--in my 60's and I prefer an older, dressier crowd.

My point being that maybe YOU would be happier on another line. (It doesn't sound so "nice" when that sentiment is reversed, does it?) THAT is the point that I was trying to make. I find it presumptuous to suggest that other cruisers choose different lines because they don't fit in with what YOU perceive as correct. What makes you think that "they should be quite happy" about doing so? :confused:

My husband and I choose Holland America because most of the passengers do respect the formal nights and dress for the occasion. We love the elegance and the ambience associated with those special evenings and would not consider spending money on a cruise line where the passengers do not respect the dress code. It seems to be quite simple. If one is not interested in dressing for dinner then one should be quite happy on one of the lines favoured by the younger, and perhaps more casual, crowd. Why go on HAL and stand out like a sore thumb in your jeans on formal night?? I am not trying to be nasty---just can't understand why people go on HAL and then complain about having to dress.

You've stated your case very well and we've also found that the majority of Mariners prefer the suggested dress and respect it.

What kind of rolling bags do you suggest, Rev. I'm in need of some new luggage, and was thinking about a rolling upright, but can 't make up my mind.

Okay, I'm not the Rev, nor do I play one on TV, but I have gone through a lot of luggage (with significant help from the airlines, of course:rolleyes:.)

Tumi is nice, but at its price it hurts more to see it destroyed by the baggage handlers. I started using Dakota because I liked the shape, size, and utility. I think it was from the same people as Tumi but about half the cost.

Then DH discovered Costco's Kirkland Signature luggage and I think I like it the best. It wears as well as the others, has a configuration that works well for me (work and leisure), isn't too heavy, and is relatively inexpensive.

Trish

What kind of rolling bags do you suggest, Rev. I'm in need of some new luggage, and was thinking about a rolling upright, but can 't make up my mind.

Hi David-

A few years ago, we bought ourselves each an "oyster shell" Samsonite on wheels.... hard-sided.... seems to be indestructible.

Got 'em online after comparing prices, but for the life of me, can't remember where. :(

Then DH discovered Costco's Kirkland Signature luggage and I think I like it the best. It wears as well as the others, has a configuration that works well for me (work and leisure), isn't too heavy, and is relatively inexpensive.

Trish

I'm very happy with the Costco rolling nylon case I've had for years.

Hi David-

A few years ago, we bought ourselves each an "oyster shell" Samsonite on wheels.... hard-sided.... seems to be indestructible.

Got 'em online after comparing prices, but for the life of me, can't remember where. :(

Those are probably really good now. I bought one when Samsonite first came out with the "Survivor" and I think the baggage handlers saw the name as a challenge. It made it on the first outbound flight, but came home in a body bag with a twisted frame. *sigh* Samsonite repaired it, but it never did seal right after that, and I ended up with wet clothes more than once.

Trish

My husband and I choose Holland America because most of the passengers do respect the formal nights and dress for the occasion. We love the elegance and the ambience associated with those special evenings and would not consider spending money on a cruise line where the passengers do not respect the dress code. It seems to be quite simple. If one is not interested in dressing for dinner then one should be quite happy on one of the lines favoured by the younger, and perhaps more casual, crowd. Why go on HAL and stand out like a sore thumb in your jeans on formal night?? I am not trying to be nasty---just can't understand why people go on HAL and then complain about having to dress.

Pssst, my latest mailings from luxury cruises shows NO!!!!! formal nights, and the clientele is quite advanced in age.

The Smithsonian cruises that I am looking at, as well as the Zegrahm and Tauck cruises, range from $500-$1000 pp per diem, and most of them are on small ships with informal and resort casual dress suggestions. No formal nights. It's a waste of luggage space to pack suits and evening gowns in order to experience the wonders of the world. By the way, the clientele is hardly young.

HAL is a mass market line with thousands of berths to fill. Quit pretending it is special. When they built their first mega ship they ceased being special.

You all can continue to live in LaLa Land, but they need to appeal to the mass market crowd to fill those thousands of berths.

My point being that maybe YOU would be happier on another line. (It doesn't sound so "nice" when that sentiment is reversed, does it?) THAT is the point that I was trying to make. I find it presumptuous to suggest that other cruisers choose different lines because they don't fit in with what YOU perceive as correct. What makes you think that "they should be quite happy" about doing so? :confused:

I dont understand. If someone describes their likes and dislikes, and those likes and dislikes dont match with the product theyre looking at buying, I think it kind to suggest that they might want to think about buying a different product. if someone loves formal clothes, why not suggest that they think about buying a cruise on a boat that has formal nights? If, on the other hand, someone doesn't like formal clothing, why not suggest that they think about buying a cruise on a line that doesn't have formal nights? Thats not as you phrase it presumptuous but an expression of concern.

Okay, I'm not the Rev, nor do I play one on TV, but I have gone through a lot of luggage (with significant help from the airlines, of course:rolleyes:.)

Tumi is nice, but at its price it hurts more to see it destroyed by the baggage handlers. I started using Dakota because I liked the shape, size, and utility. I think it was from the same people as Tumi but about half the cost.

Thanks for the suggestions, Trish. Im really looking at whats out there. I want to buy 3 or 4 pieces and I want a set that will work well for short and long cruises.

I dont understand. If someone describes their likes and dislikes, and those likes and dislikes dont match with the product theyre looking at buying, I think it kind to suggest that they might want to think about buying a different product. if someone loves formal clothes, why not suggest that they think about buying a cruise on a boat that has formal nights? If, on the other hand, someone doesn't like formal clothing, why not suggest that they think about buying a cruise on a line that doesn't have formal nights? Thats not as you phrase it presumptuous but an expression of concern.

Where does that leave me? I'm disabled. HAL has the ships that suit me, but also has the Formals which don't. I can't wear Formal... my best clothing is a shirt (no picture/design, just grey) with pocket. I don't know if I'd get a special pass to the Formal Dinner, so I'll go to another restaurant that night. I don't want to impose.

Hi David-

Thanks for the suggestion NoNo.

I havent had hard-sided luggage in a very long time. Arent they heavier?

I hadnt thought about hard-sided and will have to add that to my research list.

I think that people should chose a line that suits their preferences--nothing more and nothing less-----I am not trying to be presumptuous---just suggesting a common sense approach. I am not tring to offend sensiblilties---that is the farthest thing from my mind. I enjoy being laid back and casual at times but a cruise is just not one of those times for me-----although it may be for others. You should just choose the line that is best for you. What is so wrong with that idea?

Where does that leave me? I'm disabled. HAL has the ships that suit me, but also has the Formals which don't. I can't wear Formal... my best clothing is a shirt (no picture/design, just grey) with pocket. I don't know if I'd get a special pass to the Formal Dinner, so I'll go to another restaurant that night. I don't want to impose.

What is it about your disability that makes it impossible for you to dress in at least some way formally? In my opinion a disability that makes dressing formally impossible overrides dress codes. Thats only kind common sense.

Thats not as you phrase it presumptuous but an expression of concern.

Hi David-

Here was the quote that I was responding to:

If one is not interested in dressing for dinner then one should be quite happy on one of the lines favoured by the younger, and perhaps more casual, crowd. Why go on HAL and stand out like a sore thumb in your jeans on formal night?? I am not trying to be nasty---just can't understand why people go on HAL and then complain about having to dress.

That tells me nothing more than THIS poster is NOT happy with the direction that her cruiseline is heading.

I don't see a bit of "CONCERN", nor do I see anything resembling helpful advise.

This post (IMO, anyway) sez:

I LIKE TO DRESS UP.

IF YOU DON"T WANT TO DO SO, THEN HIT THE ROAD!

David, I would never be so presumptuous as to suggest such a thing. I'm of the thought that "to each his own".

(And I found the declaration of "jeans on FORMAL NIGHT" a bit over the top....I hadn't heard that one yet.)

In essence, I'm saying, "HEY... I don't care for formal nights...however, I don't have a problem with doing my own thing. (Room Service). I ask that you not "suggest" that I spend my money on a different line!. Heck...if one feels that strongly, then THEY should be the one to go elsewhere.

I had a lovely time on HAL, am booked for another, and have NO INTENTION of "BEING QUITE HAPPY ON ANOTHER LINE".

Yes, David.... that wasn't "concern" on the poster's part. It was both presumptuous and haughty.

Have a nice weekend, honey. :)

Honey- although I've been on only ONE Holland America cruise, I'm comfortable in saying that you won't be "IMPOSING"!

The staff is extremely gracious and understanding.

It doesn't matter WHAT your disability is, dear.... the only folks that will raise an eyebrow at your attire are the horrid vocal minority on this site. You'll experience a completely different attitude once on board.

You need NO "special pass". Dominic and I would dine with you ANYTIME. Don't be bullied, honey. :)

Dave,

I notice that several people have already offered a few luggage suggestions. I have a set of TravelPro Crew 5 bags (1 26-inch upright, a 22-inch upright, a 19-inch Rollaboard upright, the large rolling garment bag, and the Deluxe Rolling Tote bag). While the Crew5 series is no longer available, the Crew 6 series IS ... and it sees to be superior to the Crew 5 set. You might want to look into this series.

Here's a good research source: http://www.luggageonline.com/

In essence, I'm saying, "HEY... I don't care for formal nights...however, I don't have a problem with doing my own thing. (Room Service). I ask that you not "suggest" that I spend my money on a different line!. Heck...if one feels that strongly, then THEY should be the one to go elsewhere.

Nock yourself out, babe. Spend your money on whatever product you like. But if I feel like it I will certainly be suggesting to someone, who is going to be unhappy with the product their buying, that they might be happier buying a different product. I tend to be a nice guy that way. If you or they dont like my suggestion, thats fine too. I say "Let 'em waste their money on a product they wont like." Its their money and their unhappy time. No skin off my big nose. I tried to be helpful.

I had a lovely time on HAL, am booked for another, and have NO INTENTION of "BEING QUITE HAPPY ON ANOTHER LINE".
Thats great, toots. Holland is a great line, with great service and good food and a cool environment and I'm glad you like it. The room service is great, but so is the dining room service. Why dont you try it out this time? Pick a casual night. You'll like it.

Have a nice weekend, honey. :)
You too, Cheezy-poofs. :)

Please don't worry! If you want, be "out and about" and participate! Regardless of your condition, you will be welcomed with warmth and helpfulness by the crew and by your fellow passengers. Anyone who doesn't welcome you, or understand the restrictions placed upon your by your condition, should be forced to walk the plank.

There's a member of my prior church who has Muscular Dystrophy and, even though he is restricted to his powered chair and can no longer feed himself, he still loves to cruise and participates every evening. He travels with his parents, and they help him throughout the entire cruise. He wears a very simple silk shirt and a pair of pants most nights and appears to have a great time every night. I've never seen him ill-treated or in any way looked down upon by anyone because of his inability to dress up. There's NO way that anyone could ever claim that he is an "imposition." And neither are you.

I wish you happy cruises and a joyous time aboard the Damships of the HAL fleet!

Archived