Back from Carnival with 20 mo old. Any questions

dnj1

First, thanks CC for all the advise. I was very unsure about taking DD knowing she was too young for the camp carnival. My final decision was to take her,( 5- DAY on the Fantasy) so we did. Here is my advice..... Just be prepared. I don't regret taking DD at all, BUT is was work. Advice from CC helped a lot. The blow-up tub was a MUST. The backpack harness was a MUST. We did take a portable DVD, but did not use it in the dining room. Our waiter was sooo wonderful. It did not take our food long to come out so that was great. At the table she had her play cell phone and a small photo album of family. She loves pointing to pictures and calling thier names. Other than that, at the table we sang songs. ABC's, Muffin Man, Head shoulder, knees, toes:) (just whatever) The best part is we were a table of 5 and had a booth by ourself. (it just worked out that way "perfect")Pre-cruising the dining room was my biggest fear, and it turned out to be very easy. We used the DVD in the room for down-time.

The hardest( which was really not hard but....) During a lot of the trivia's she got a little loud and kept wanting to walk around, so we left early alot. She would not just sit in the stroller on the LIDO deck and let us enjoy the sun. Honestly, we walked through the LIDO all the time, but was never able to stop and relax for an extended period.

In the cabin,I brought that Crayola "no mess" paper and markers. She was able to color in the room on the bed and on the floor. That "stuff" is great. The markers will only color on that certain paper. Not on bed spreads, walls, floors, or anything. At ports we went to the beach each time and she loved the sand. I brought $1 store sand pails with us.

Would I do it again at this age??? Honestly NO! Knowing what I know now NO. Like I said, it wasn't horrible, but to wait 1 year would have been great. If moms do decide to take a baby not of camp/babysitting age. Just be prepared. I also,think it was easier for DH and I becuase we had cruised before. For new cruising parents, I would think that it would be worst....because they would want to be active in everying and go to all the fun activities offered...with a child that will NOT happen. BUT if you have cruised before and know you will cruise again,(and be able to go sit in the hot tub, wow I missed that hot tub this time:( ) then go for it. Just be prepared. It AIN'T easy, but.... Doable.

ANY QUESTIONS???

We're about to take an 11-month old on a 5-day cruise in a weeks time, so I was interested to read to comments. But I am curious -- what were you expecting? (And I'm not asking that in a snarky way...). We have cruised before, so we know the day-to-day drill. But we also know what she's like at home. I wouldn't dream of taking her into something like trivia, or a port talk because...well, she's 11 months! She loves to make noise (albeit happy noises), but she is an active one. So we're envisioning lots of walking on the Lido deck!

You have given me some hope of making it in the dining room...she comes to restaurants with us all the time, so sitting through a long dinner isn't new to her. I think with a little attention from the wait staff, she'll be fine.

How were the other passangers with you and a little one? Some of the rantings on here make me a bit nervous...were people shooting daggers as you moved about the ship?

We're about to take an 11-month old on a 5-day cruise in a weeks time, so I was interested to read to comments. But I am curious -- what were you expecting? (And I'm not asking that in a snarky way...). We have cruised before, so we know the day-to-day drill. But we also know what she's like at home. I wouldn't dream of taking her into something like trivia, or a port talk because...well, she's 11 months! She loves to make noise (albeit happy noises), but she is an active one. So we're envisioning lots of walking on the Lido deck!

You have given me some hope of making it in the dining room...she comes to restaurants with us all the time, so sitting through a long dinner isn't new to her. I think with a little attention from the wait staff, she'll be fine.

How were the other passangers with you and a little one? Some of the rantings on here make me a bit nervous...were people shooting daggers as you moved about the ship?

I was expecting no personal fun time and that is exactly what we got. Which is "fine", like I said. We were prepared for that. I was also hoping nap time would come during game shows and trivias, unfortuanately that did not happen. We went anyway, and were only able to stay a little while. I am not saying that it was bad. What I AM saying is that "one should be prepared for anyting":) I know toddlers are loud and all, but I don't think that you should stay locked up in your cabin all day. I say, "go, and if you must leave the activity, leave" NO, we did not go to the boring "port" talk. I mentioned the "games", which you know can be very loud, people go and come as they please and there is plenty of room in the lounges.

As far as shooting daggers. No my baby is very friendly and said "Hi" every time someone made eye contact with her. Passengers played with her at all times.

I hope you dont seclude yourself, step out and have fun, and remember if the baby gets loud and active, you are just a stair case and hallway away from your room.

Thanks for your review. DS will be 15 months and walking on our next cruise. He was 7 months on our last cruise and wasn't crawling yet, so now he is all over the place. I have the backpack harness on my list of things to get.

Good postings here. We have a 2nd family cruise planned for next September. My son and DIL will br bringing their 2 children...a 20 month girl and a 10 month boy. We know that our times will be spent around the kids schedule, but we have all cruised before, and know what to expect on a ship.

Will we miss out on a few things? Probably, but that is okay. We are actually looking forward to spending time with everyone, including our grandchildren.

I do have a question though....did you bring your own portable cribs (pack-n-play) or does the cruiseline have them (like in a hotel)? We will be driving to the port, and not flying, so it will not be any problem to bring our own. Just wondering....

Thank you for a very honest, balanced review. I've shared it with my sister who's never cruised and wants to take her almost 2 year old. Told her she and my BIL would enjoy themselves more if she waited until he's 3 (other 2 children are teenagers...he was a surprise!).

Roz

My husband and I have cruised several time pre-baby. I thank you for your honesty in saying that you probably wouldn't do it again until your child is older ( I think this is what you are saying).

We haven't cruised since just before I got pregnant with our son...yes, we took a 14 night Panama Canal cruise on Celebrity as our last big splurge before planning to get pregnant (I was pregnant two months later)! Our son will have just turned four-years old when we cruise again on January 2, 2009.

Maybe it is just me, but I just can't imagine paying for a cruise and enjoying it without being able to send my child to have fun at the play-room. I am a working mom and am a bit older, 37 (hubby is 62). We are just used to working and not being home all day with our son. We love our boy. We just like adult time too, sometimes.

Having children is hard. Taking them on vacation is hard.

Cheryl

I do have a question though....did you bring your own portable cribs (pack-n-play) or does the cruiseline have them (like in a hotel)? We will be driving to the port, and not flying, so it will not be any problem to bring our own. Just wondering....

No, we did not bring a crib. The free-crib that Carnival supplied us with was perfect. It is more like a crib than a pack and play. We did bring our own sheets (crib sheets- which were a little big for this crib, but bassinet sheets would be entirely too small). We also brought the blanket that she uses at home to cover up. My dd is 20 months and we like to say that she is fluffy :) (32lbs) The crib was big enough for her.

Thanks to everyone that appreciates my honesty. YES, that is exactly what I am saying. " I took a 20 month old on a cruise, we had a great time, however it was not the best, if I have another child, I will wait until CAMP CARNIVAL age."

I am looking into our next cruise now, but it will not be within the next 4 months.:D

I don't want to offend those who enjoy taking under 2's. This was just my experience. I will be happy to answer any more questions.

Thanks to everyone that appreciates my honesty. YES, that is exactly what I am saying. " I took a 20 month old on a cruise, we had a great time, however it was not the best, if I have another child, I will wait until CAMP CARNIVAL age."

I am looking into our next cruise now, but it will not be within the next 4 months.:D

I don't want to offend those who enjoy taking under 2's. This was just my experience. I will be happy to answer any more questions.

Don't worry, you won't offend anyone. We're all friends here...lol :D

I honestly didn't have any problems when my kids were under kid's club ages but ALL kids are different just like ALL parents are different.

On our cruise last week, we were having a great time. My friend, on the other hand, who has kids ages 6 and 7, was stressed out by them the whole week. She kept saying over and over again "HOW DO YOU DO IT? HOW do you bring you kids on so many cruises? I am stressed out!"

But ya know what...I go with the flow. And so do my kids. Her kids were MUCH more high maintenance than mine were. To the point that they were stressing ME out...lol.

So don't apologize, we all have different types of kids and different types of parenting styles. :)

First, thanks CC for all the advise. I was very unsure about taking DD knowing she was too young for the camp carnival. My final decision was to take her,( 5- DAY on the Fantasy) so we did. Here is my advice..... Just be prepared. I don't regret taking DD at all, BUT is was work. Advice from CC helped a lot. The blow-up tub was a MUST. The backpack harness was a MUST. We did take a portable DVD, but did not use it in the dining room. Our waiter was sooo wonderful. It did not take our food long to come out so that was great. At the table she had her play cell phone and a small photo album of family. She loves pointing to pictures and calling thier names. Other than that, at the table we sang songs. ABC's, Muffin Man, Head shoulder, knees, toes:) (just whatever) The best part is we were a table of 5 and had a booth by ourself. (it just worked out that way "perfect")Pre-cruising the dining room was my biggest fear, and it turned out to be very easy. We used the DVD in the room for down-time.

The hardest( which was really not hard but....) During a lot of the trivia's she got a little loud and kept wanting to walk around, so we left early alot. She would not just sit in the stroller on the LIDO deck and let us enjoy the sun. Honestly, we walked through the LIDO all the time, but was never able to stop and relax for an extended period.

In the cabin,I brought that Crayola "no mess" paper and markers. She was able to color in the room on the bed and on the floor. That "stuff" is great. The markers will only color on that certain paper. Not on bed spreads, walls, floors, or anything. At ports we went to the beach each time and she loved the sand. I brought $1 store sand pails with us.

Would I do it again at this age??? Honestly NO! Knowing what I know now NO. Like I said, it wasn't horrible, but to wait 1 year would have been great. If moms do decide to take a baby not of camp/babysitting age. Just be prepared. I also,think it was easier for DH and I becuase we had cruised before. For new cruising parents, I would think that it would be worst....because they would want to be active in everying and go to all the fun activities offered...with a child that will NOT happen. BUT if you have cruised before and know you will cruise again,(and be able to go sit in the hot tub, wow I missed that hot tub this time:( ) then go for it. Just be prepared. It AIN'T easy, but.... Doable.

ANY QUESTIONS???

I agree with you, its tougher with a toddler, but is it really that much different than at home? I never get "relaxing" time or time to sit and enjoy the sun at home with a toddler running around. At least on the ship there is someone cooking and cleaning up after you. We took our 19mo old in May and had about the same experience. Lots of walking around the deck, up & down the stairs etc. We did take advantage of the babysitting on sea days from 12-2pm. That was a nice break and my time to do the hottub and sun thing. It was the best $12 spent. This next cruise she will be 2 so we can do the camp! Sorry you didnt have a great cruise. Hopefully next one will be.

Julie

Archived