Can you rent DVD's on ship?

whtmule

First time cruise and we wondered if you can rent DVD's on board. Hubby and I are not into the bar scenes and like to relax in the evening and watch a movie. should we bring our own?

Thanks

DVD rental onboard a cruise ship????????? Nope..................containing my comments to that 'Nope' only. :) :)

I have often wondered why the cruise line has not embraced DVD player rental and movie rental a little bit more. Bring your computer or portable player to play the DVDs (or load your ipod video).

An alternative on some of the ships that I think you would find enjoyable and different, is the MUTS. It is short for Movies und the the Stars. It is held up on the pool deck where they cover the pool chairs with special covers. It will remind you of going to a drive-in movie and is lots of fun as it is different than you would experience at home. MUTS during the day while the pool activities are going on just irritates me, but at night I think it is fun to do for one evening. Get there early to get a place and popcorn!

Also, they will usually play a movie in the auditorium at some point during the day.

I doubt cruise lines will ever rent DVD's onboard. The last thing they want is for you to stay in your cabin in the evening. When you are out and about on the ship, you spend money, and this is what they are looking for.

Not just Princess, but all of the lines we have sailed on.

And if they did rent DVD's by chance, then passengers would be screaming there was no DVD player in their inside/outside/balcony/ or mini suite cabin.

We had a suite on the Crown recently and the DVD selection was awful. We also just cruised HAL's Maasdam. They had an extensive DVD library. It was free for suite guests and really reasonable for others. Rentals were for one night only. Other cruise lines should adopt it. I'm surprised Princess doesn't have a DVD rental. They seem to charge for everything else.

Archived