ON A LIGHTER NOTE... What will you be reading on your upcoming cruise?

NorCalCruiseGuy

I have not yet traveled on Celebrity but will be sailing on a transatlantic cruise next May. Since it is a 16 day cruise and my suitcase will need all the room for clothes, I ratherl not bring books with me. My question is, how good is the library on the Galaxy?

Some ships' library are great while others are rather puny. It would be nice to find a good book or two or three for my 16 day cruise.

The wine list!

This is definitely on my "must read" list

I bring my iPOD and listen to books and music, so no reading per se for me.

I have written down author names and titles to search for books on CD or downloadable. I travel 45 minutes each way to work, so get a book down in about a week.

A book I am waiting for is the new Nicholas Sparks book 'The Choice' coming out in mid September 2007.

I like to read books related to the cruise and places I'll be going, so for my December cruise to Mexico "Santa Cruise" sounds good and maybe the sequel to "Aztec" (which was great) -- "Aztec Autumn" by Gary Jennings (although I'll be seeing Mayan, not Aztec, ruins on the trip).

This is a great thread! I have gotten some good ideas from the responses. Have you finished the Michael Tucker book, or are you saving it for a cruise? I looked at it on Amazon, and it looks terrific--would buy it, but, as is pointed out above, I know I could not resist reading it before my October cruise, so perhaps will wait.

Anyway, great idea.

For something in the murder/mystery mode but not too heavy,

I recommend Joanne Pence.

She writes "Angie Amalfi" mysteries. The stories take place

in San Francisco:D. Angie is in the culinary field while her

beau is a cop. (Paavo).....

And another wonderful author is Earlene Fowler who writes

"Benni Harper" Mysteries. Her stories take place in a fictional

area in Central California....Benni runs a Museum and her hubby

is the Chief of Police. (Gabe).....

Each book's title is named after a quilt. It is very interesting~

good and easy to read as well.

For any of you who are into quilting check out Earlene's website.

Anyway, I also enjoy some of the other authors mentioned.

And I do enjoy reading on my cruises but not anything "too heavy".

Here's my list for Sept 7 Alaska on Summit (and the very long flights to & from the cruise):

A Thousand Splendid Suns (I really liked The Kite Runner)

The Diana Chronicles

Boomsday (a satirical novel by Christopher Buckley).

Three Cups of Tea (non-fiction)

For those who haven't read it, Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen is wonderful...

Cheryl

This is a great thread! I have gotten some good ideas from the responses. Have you finished the Michael Tucker book, or are you saving it for a cruise? I looked at it on Amazon, and it looks terrific--would buy it, but, as is pointed out above, I know I could not resist reading it before my October cruise, so perhaps will wait.

Anyway, great idea.

Hi Susan,

Michael and Jill made an appearance at the Commonwealth Club in SF a couple of weeks ago, and I was lucky enough to hear them speak for about an hour about the book and their experiences living part time in Italy. I thought I might take it on my upcoming cruise, but I don't think I'll be able to wait that long. I'll probably start it this week. It's an easy read and shouldn't take too long.

Cheers

Paul

Looks like I'd better read the Kite Runner and its sequel. But, I highly recommend Elizabeth Gilbert's smash hit, "Eat, Pray, Love" - her memoir of her sabbatical year spent in Italy, India, and Indonesia. It's a terrific choice for any traveler. The film rights have just been sold with Julia Roberts slated to play the author.

San Francisco mysteries, memoirs in Italy and Indonesia, wine lists--don't know where to begin!!!

Paul, let me know how the Tucker book is. I am going to test my resolve and see if I can save it for the trip. Sorry I missed them at the Commonwealth Club. Too cute--they act, have money, now live in Italy and can write....I am just so happy I get my cruise!

Susan

"Yahoo! I love his work, and his mom's (Rosamunde Pilcher) too!"

Thanks on this one.............I will look for it. I think my favorite book ever was Winter Solstice by Rosamunde Pilcher

My most favorite was "The Shell Seekers"......what a wonderful

story. I never read Winter Solstice.

Okay, I couldn't wait to start the Kite Runner. I opened page one while sitting on the beach today (just wanted to get a sneak preview) and I couldn't put it down. I'm a third of a way through the book. I did want to save it for my upcoming cruise since it's softcover and travels well. I'm still planning on bringing A Thousand Splendid Suns with me, but does anybody know if that one will be out in softcover soon (i.e., before we leave on Oct. 6 for our one-week land/one-week cruise vacation)?

OUr Cruise is not until December so I do not know what I will read. Here are my favorites from this summer (and some of the best books I have read)

History of Love (Icons at the top of each chapter tell you who is speaking)

Water for Elephants (could not put it down)

Patron Saint of Liars

Other really good books but not as great as the above

Kite Runner

The Places In Between (non fiction)

The Memory Keepers Daughter

Silva's New book, can't remember the title

But funny, and interesting--

For trips to the British Isles:

Notes from a Small Island by Bill Bryson

for trips to Europe:

Neither Here nor There by Bill Bryson

For trips to Australia

In a Sunburned Country by Bill Bryson

Martini List

Wine List

and Maybe

The Path Between the Seas...at least DH and DS14 want to read it.

DS 12 and I may read something like it but not such a tome...

but also in the vein of the Canal...

or

Maybe I will go another route

In the Compnay of the Courtesan...by Dunant

Other suggestions?

Anyway, great idea.

My partner just finished "Living in a Foreign Language" and I'll start it this week. He enjoyed it greatly. The discriptions of the food and locations are excellent, and it centers a lot on their relationship and family.

I have about 30 books downloaded onto my Ipod from books on Cd (most public libraries carry these) so I can read light or heavy stuff, depending on my mood that day. It also frees up your eyes to take in the scenery and your hands for a cocktail...

the Michael Tucker book in the bookstore, but I did buy "The Diana Chronicles". (someone here mentioned this book!) I know I cannot wait for October to read this!

The anniversary of her death is approaching, and last night I saw the "Panorama" interview--she was truly remarkable, such a good, beautiful soul. Seems fitting to read it now. But I bought another Diana book for my October cruise, and, Paul, will still try to save the Tucker book for the cruise!

Susan

Archived