How to avoid getting sick before/on a cruise?

happy cruzer

Am putting this out there for anyone who might be interested. I just put down a nutrition magazine I read often and The Executive Dir. of the Center for Science in the Public Interest said that Airborne is considered a phony cold preventative and now has a private lawsuit named against it.

Apparently it is quite easy to start your own supplement company and the internet is crawling with those that will sell you just about any formulation you could think of or want. No one is watching, so don't worry about getting caught....it's quite unregulated.

I'm one of those people that thinks if you believe something works for you....it probably will.

I'm pretty cynical when it comes to things like this but my wife swears by Airbourne. The way I look at it is it's not going to hurt. All that's in them is a megadose of vitamins and a few herbs.

Am putting this out there for anyone who might be interested. I just put down a nutrition magazine I read often and The Executive Dir. of the Center for Science in the Public Interest said that Airborne is considered a phony cold preventative and now has a private lawsuit named against it.

Apparently it is quite easy to start your own supplement company and the internet is crawling with those that will sell you just about any formulation you could think of or want. No one is watching, so don't worry about getting caught....it's quite unregulated.

I'm one of those people that thinks if you believe something works for you....it probably will.

I saw on another post where you told a Tucson Cruiser you found double sided tape at Ross in Phoenix. Just wanted to let you know, if you reside here in AZ, we have a CC thread for AZ Cruisers.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=420611&page=49

Hope to see you there!

I don't do any of the silly things described on this thread except to wash my hands occasionally but not every time I touch anything, have been on cruises to many places including harsh climates such as Antartica, and have never had one second of illness.

My point is that using a useless placebo or product or performing actions that claim to ward off illness can't do you any harm and may make you feel psycologically (sp??) better but it will not actually prevent any real illness.

Your argument that you performed these actions and did not get sick is meaningless. It does not show cause and effect.

Remember that healers in primitive tribes would "cure" illnesses by using chicken bones. The people they treated were happy because they believed that they worked and in some instances, they did work because of this belief.

There is no difference (besides washing) between what you are doing and chicken bones.

DON

This I truly believe! I also believe though, that living a healthy live (fresh food, lots of water, rest and exercise) can help build immunity. But the power of positive thinking can do wonders.

I do not believe for an instant that cold weather causes illness. What I believ causes winter colds is closed up buildings and no fresh air. Plus people not willing to stay home when they are contagious, no they have to go to work/school/grocery store/bank etc...and spread the viral germs!

We've become a society dependent on drugs for every ailment and want instantaneous cures. While some drugs have proven to be lifesavers and life enhancers, many people only use drugs/vitamins/minerals in place of a more natural therapy and healthier lifestyle.

Those who have not caught a cold in years have just been lucky, period.

I don't believe in doing anything special just before a trip. Is there really a GOOD time to be sick?

There are no medicines that have been scientifically shown to be effective to PREVENT illness (or else the FDA would've approved them long ago) so shouldn't everyone ALWAYS practice good hygiene like covering our coughs/sneezes with the insides of our elbows, and washing our hands frequently? Perhaps I think wearing a mask during airline flights to reduce your chances of airborne illnesses is a good idea.

Finally, the best thing to strengthen your immune system is to drink lots of water, eat lots of fruits and vegetables, and exercise regularly. Unfortunately, the latter is not simple, easy or quick but it is the most effective. :)

I believe in lots of rest. Anytime I or my kids get sick, it's almost always when we haven't had enough sleep, for one reason or another. I'm always really busy before traveling, but I try to start preparing for the trip early so that I can get to bed early every night for a week or so before we leave.

• 7 months later...

Even if you encounter the cold virus on the plane, it will take several days for you to be affected, if you are going to "catch" it! If you get sick just as you board the ship, it's something you've had BEFORE you even started your trip!

Stress can make you more susceptible to germs and viruses--and, it can trick you into thinking you're ill, when you really aren't!

Reducing stress, eating well, and washing hands frequently (and not touching your eyes, nose or mouth) will greatly reduce the chance of anything upsetting your vacation!

My DH seems to always get a cold either on the plane or on the ship. I remember reading some advice on how to avoid this but of course now I can't find it.

Any suggestions??

I know what to do for motion sickness for me ( bands, ginger, and bonine, all work for me). But I don't catch too many colds, not even his. And he doesn't get motion sickness, go figure.

I would appreciate the help.

Looks like there is no shortage of advice here, and I'll add my 2 cents to.

Not to burst your or anyone else's bubble but the fact of the matter is the common cold is caused by a virus. The reason we catch it over and over again is it easily mutates into new forms that our bodies defense doesn't recognize till it already has infected us enough and caused all those nasty symptons. Taking vitamines, snake oil concoctions, and other stuff will not stop the virus from entering your body or infecting you. Why do you catch them in the winter, on planes etc. has lots to do with lots of people ( some carrying the virus ) all jammed togather. Why do you belive when travling you are more suscetible is probably because you are, tired, not eating well makes you and your defences weaker. All it takes is one sneeze or transfer surface to put that virus in your body and your are done. Depending on how strong you are and whether your body already has antibodies for that virus you got means it could be a non-event, a day, or weeks that you are down.

Taking cold medicine, vitamin suplement, or snake oil stuff like "airborne" won't help much. They may make your mind feel better, or if in the small chance make your body a bit more healthy make you more resistant to them bugs out there. Sure there are some anti-virial engineered treatments out there, the real ones are very expensive and barely effective.

The best you can do is get lots of sleep ( rested body makes for a stronger body ), eat as healthy and normal as you can before and during travel ( stronger body will be more resistant to external attacks ), drinks lots of water ( traveling dehyrdrates and can weaken the body), wash your hand often ( keep them bugs of them ), don't touch your eyes, nose with your unwashed hands ( keep them bugs from getting into your orifices).

Good luck at staying healthy!

Some members of my family swear by a product called Airborne. I believe it's a big tablet and it dissolves in water. They take it just before boarding a plane to ward off those recirculating airborn germs. I've never taken it.

My suggestion is to stop being so concerned about catching something or you will. If you go prepared with some packets of cold meds and nasal spray, etc., you will probably not need any of it but it will be handy if it happens. Same goes for the seasickness remedies. Go and Enjoy!

Actually I read an article on the CNN website that the makers of Airborne are in a lawsuit with the FDA because their claims of preventing colds are false. My physician told me to take one 500mg of Vitamin C twice a day. I have been doing this for a several years and have not come down with any more colds since taking the Vitamin C.

And as stated before WASH, WASH, WASH your hands as often as you can. I even carry the purse size Hand Sanitizer with me and whenever I exchange money, open a door, run my hands down a stair railing, etc. I use a drop of the sanitizer just to be safe.

Actually I read an article on the CNN website that the makers of Airborne are in a lawsuit with the FDA because their claims of preventing colds are false. My physician told me to take one 500mg of Vitamin C twice a day. I have been doing this for a several years and have not come down with any more colds since taking the Vitamin C.

And as stated before WASH, WASH, WASH your hands as often as you can. I even carry the purse size Hand Sanitizer with me and whenever I exchange money, open a door, run my hands down a stair railing, etc. I use a drop of the sanitizer just to be safe.

The class action suit was just settled last month. They are going to give $23.3 million in refunds. Here is one of many links to the story:

http://abclocal.go.com/kfsn/story?section=news/consumer&id=5996792

Yes, washing is the best prevention.

I take zinc at the first sign of a cold. Zinc helps boost your immune system. I have used Zicam and it worked for me. However, I have heard of loss of smell as a possible side effect. I switched to generic zinc tablets. They seem to work well for me. I would make sure to have some food in my stomach before taking them. Had an awful acid stomach after taking them on an empty stomach.

I take zinc at the first sign of a cold. Zinc helps boost your immune system. I have used Zicam and it worked for me. However, I have heard of loss of smell as a possible side effect. I switched to generic zinc tablets. They seem to work well for me. I would make sure to have some food in my stomach before taking them. Had an awful acid stomach after taking them on an empty stomach.

Actually my brother is a family physician and when he found out one day I was using the nose swipes of Zicam he told me to stop using them for that very reason, loss of smell. One of his associates in the same office complex has a patient that lost her sense of smell because of that one side effect and after 2 or 3 years she has never gotten it back.

The class action suit was just settled last month. They are going to give $23.3 million in refunds. Here is one of many links to the story:

http://abclocal.go.com/kfsn/story?section=news/consumer&id=5996792

Yes, washing is the best prevention.

Thanks for the link. I did not realize that they had settled.

Well I am still buying and using Airborne. If you read the ingredients it is mostly vitamin C and zinc and about the same pricewise. While I don't think that anything can totally prevent or cure a cold, it does it good to make your immune system as strong as possible using vitamins and supplements if you don't get enough in your diet.

Archived