pregnancy during cruise??

emelup

Went on my third cruise when I was about 4-1/2 months along. Ob-gyn absolutely gave me the okay. It was a short one, but because my hubby couldn't be away from work very long...not because of the pregnancy.

I have to admit I didn't have any morning sickness at all (ducking now), and not too many problems at all during the 41 weeks. Except I had a temporary crown put on just before the cruise which had trouble staying on, so that made it hard to eat.

So if you're in your second trisemester and your doctor is fine with it...that's the best time to go. Find a maternity swimsuit, don't do any bungee-jumping, and stay away from the soft cheese.

I went on a cruise when I was about 24 weeks (6 months) and had a wonderful time. No sickeness and easier on me then working everyday. My OBGYN had no problems with me cruising. It was a 5 day cruise and I did excursions in both ports (one a land excursion and the other a beach excursion). Also did some shopping while in port. I would recommend that you bring bottled water along. I did not and kept having to go get water from the dining area which became a pain. At the first port, I did buy water and kept an empty bottle to refill (works better then the cups and holds more water) and beats the price of the bottled water in the room which is way overpriced. I drank lots of water while aboard (and throughout my pregnancy). Have fun and enjoy.

For anyone planning to cruise while pregnant, please check with your cruise line in advance of booking.

I recently saw a news clip of a pregnant woman very disappointed she was denied boarding by the cruise line when she checked in. She had a letter from her Ob-Gyn saying he approved of her cruising but the ship said she was too far along. My memory is that she was starting week 22 and it was a one week or ten day cruise.

Check with your cruise line....and check again.....and once again. Seems we sometimes get a different answer to the same question from differents reps.

As a neonatal nurse, please check out this thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=619830&highlight=pregnancy

While I'm sure plenty of women cruise and never have a problem, the possibility for something to go terribly wrong AND not have access to the equipment and expertise that could save the baby is a huge consideration.

MY PERSONAL opinion is that if I was having a "normal" pregnancy, I would only cruise (or go on vacation) before 20 weeks. Once you get close to that "age of viability" where a baby COULD POSSIBLY live outside the womb, I wouldn't risk it.

It's a conversation and decision to be made on an individual basis with the OB-GYN who is FAMILIAR with the cruise ship medical care available.

Just my 2 cents worth!

MD with OB experience...there are so many factors to consider, the only person that can make this decision is you and your doctor. You need to understand the risks for you and the baby during pregnancy in general. I traveled to Hawaii and Aruba at 26 weeks during both my pregnancies. I checked out the hospital facilities in Aruba-just in case-and Hawaii is the US so I knew what to expect there. I would certainly cruise if I were pregnant within the rules of the particular cruise line. That is just my INFORMED choice. I know what I am dealing with, my medical history, what to consider, the risks, etc. Not to be a downer...life threatening emergencies can happen at any point during a pregnancy and the life of the mom is just as important as the baby growing inside. That is why you might not find an answer here. Most people will tell you they did fine, that they would cruise (like I did), but you have to be able to live with the decision you make and understand the potential consequences of the decision you are making. Talk to your doctor.

My wife is now pregnant...only 6 to 8 weeks along...and we will be cruising at the end of August...making it 10 to 12 weeks....

So far, no morning sickness...just mood swings...lmao....

At this point, her doc has given her the OK....in fact, was encouraging....

We'll check in after the cruise to tell folks how it went...

• 1 month later...
so does anyone know RCCL's policy? How do they know how many weeks you are - do you need a doctors note?

You cannot be entering your 24th week at anytime during the cruise and yes, you need a doctor's note.

From RCCL's website:

Q: What is Royal Caribbean's policy on cruising while pregnant?s.gifA: Royal Caribbean International cannot accept guests who will have entered their 24th week of pregnancy by the beginning of, or at any time during the cruise or cruisetour. A physician's "Fit to Travel" note is required prior to sailing, stating how far along (in weeks) your pregnancy will be at the beginning of the cruise and confirming that you are in good health and not experiencing a high-risk pregnancy. The "Fit to Travel" note should be faxed to the Access Department at 1-954-628-9622. Please contact us at 1-866-592-7225 or at special_needs@rccl.com if you have already booked a cruise or cruisetour and do not meet this requirement.

Archived