Got drilled by Priceline

scalde

As the previous posters have indicated, the Le Meridien is located in the North Miami Beach zone. Is it possible you thought you were booking the Miami Beach zone, but booked North Miami Beach by accident? I've had luck with Priceline in the past, allowing me to rebid again under these circumstances. Although I can't promise the same results, it doesn't hurt to call them and ask....

Please follow up this thread if you do anything further. Very helpful to others reading here.

As the previous posters have indicated, the Le Meridien is located in the North Miami Beach zone. Is it possible you thought you were booking the Miami Beach zone, but booked North Miami Beach by accident? I've had luck with Priceline in the past, allowing me to rebid again under these circumstances. Although I can't promise the same results, it doesn't hurt to call them and ask....

Please follow up this thread if you do anything further. Very helpful to others reading here.

thanks beav i will give them a call

I thought the "negotiator" idea sounded neat, so I tried it out last week. I stated $65 as my highest paying price on a two star hotel (it's only for like 12 hours, I wanted a decent cheap place). The results? A SELF PROCLAIMED (as per Best Western's website) ONE star motel with horrible reviews across the board. Not only all that, but the price was actually CHEAPER on the Best Western website. Of COURSE they'd accept my bid of $65, when they only charge $60 in the first place!

Long story short, I spent a decent amount of time with a Priceline rep, resulting in my not being able to cancel the reservation, though I told them I definitely hadn't gotten what I'd been "guaranteed", and they simply reduced the price to $50 (since that was the lowest price I could find the place listed for on kayak.com) and reassured me that I'd be satisfied with the place they'd chosen and that their rating system was unique, and other site's ratings didn't apply.

Needless to say, I will NEVER "take advantage" of this "deal", or Priceline, again.

...... that their rating system was unique, and other site's ratings didn't apply.

yea, their rating system is unique all right...they say two star all the other websites say one star, they say three star all the other websites say one or two star....their rating system sounds unique to me. :p

I've never bidded less then a four star though and try to bid resort when available. Only got burned once, won a five star hotel in South Beach that was barely a two star.

I bid 110 for 4* in miami beach and got la meridian wich is way up north. im not happy.

You should be happy. You got a fantastic hotel in Sunny Isles. I'd be thrilled to get Le Meridian for $110 and it is much nicer than anything downtown.

It is maybe a 30 minute cab ride to port.

If you bid for Miami Beach and not North Miami Beach, you can call priceline and they will refund your money.l

I thought the "negotiator" idea sounded neat, so I tried it out last week. I stated $65 as my highest paying price on a two star hotel (it's only for like 12 hours, I wanted a decent cheap place). The results? A SELF PROCLAIMED (as per Best Western's website) ONE star motel with horrible reviews across the board. Not only all that, but the price was actually CHEAPER on the Best Western website. Of COURSE they'd accept my bid of $65, when they only charge $60 in the first place!

Long story short, I spent a decent amount of time with a Priceline rep, resulting in my not being able to cancel the reservation, though I told them I definitely hadn't gotten what I'd been "guaranteed", and they simply reduced the price to $50 (since that was the lowest price I could find the place listed for on kayak.com) and reassured me that I'd be satisfied with the place they'd chosen and that their rating system was unique, and other site's ratings didn't apply.

Needless to say, I will NEVER "take advantage" of this "deal", or Priceline, again.

There are two very comprehensive websites on the Internet where people post their winning bid results. These wins are then compiled into hotel lists where you can see for yourself the actual names of all the hotels. This is a tremendous tool as you can research the reviews of the various hotels and decide what star level you want to bid.

Also, it should never be assumed that a 2 star hotel is going to be cheaper than a 3 or 4 star property. Experience has proven otherwise.

With a minimum amount of research, you can make educated bids and avoid the experience you had. Before I found the two sites listed below, I, too, would have never gone into a blind bidding situation with Priceline, for fear of the unknown. Arm yourself with knowledge and your experience will be completely different.

www.biddingfortravel.com

www.betterbidding.com

One really needs to do their research when using priceline. If you do this, Priceline works beautifully.

Totally agree. I get nervous for the first time Priceline users who express all kinds of fear going into the process for a pre cruise stay.

My advice... unless you have researched Where you want the hotel to be, you have read some reviews on these threads or on tripadvisor.com, have studied the bidding and free bidding process, and which hotels are being "won" during your particular dates, and finally understand that the reservations are non cancellable.....DON"T use Priceline for a pre cruise stay. It will just put you in a bd mood if you are looking for a stress free start to your vacation.

We feel confident by the time we bid. But we didn't learn the process by "hoping". My DH and I booked simple hotels when we visited family members out of town. We got the hang of it, when it didn't really matter how far we were from a house. Or if the room had to have an ociaen view etc.

Still today, if we are set on a certain hotel or location, we use other sites.

Most Priceline complaints come from new bidders who didn't get exactly what they had hoped for. Uncertainty is the price you pay for the price you pay!

And like BlueHerons said...you might get a super hotel...Take it and pay the extra cab fare. Sounds great to me.

im going to try and bid for another in sobe.

Careful...Pricelines hotel rating system means nothing in South Beach. A 4 or 5 star Priceline rating in South Beach could be a one or two star rating on all the other travel sites and print media. :cool:

Careful...Pricelines hotel rating system means nothing in South Beach. A 4 or 5 star Priceline rating in South Beach could be a one or two star rating on all the other travel sites and print media. :cool:

I would expand that to everywhere, not just South Beach :D

All the more reason to do research online to see the possibilities of hotels you could end up winning.

I would expand that to everywhere, not just South Beach :D

All the more reason to do research online to see the possibilities of hotels you could end up winning.

Actually the 4 star and resort designated hotels Priceline rates for Ft Lauderdale hotels is pretty accurate. :rolleyes:

I called priceline and had no luck. well i guess this hotel is up for grabs as im not going to stay there. im going to try and bid for another in sobe. wish me good luck.

Just curious, did you tell Priceline you had accidentally booked the wrong zone?

Yes, good luck with SOBE. Take a look at the two websites referenced earlier in this thread. That way you'll be able to take a look at the Miami hotel list and see what hotels are in what zone, and their quality level.

I have received a refund from priceline once.. I clicked on dadeland by mistake so I used the back button.. when I went ahead with the booking the dadeland click must have still been in the cache and I received a hotel there.. they did refund my money minus a cancellation fee of $25.;)

I called priceline and had no luck. well i guess this hotel is up for grabs as im not going to stay there. im going to try and bid for another in sobe. wish me good luck.

If I were you, I'd book on a site where you pick the hotel. Go to tripadvisor.com and read recent recs of hotels. You'll be much happier.

One really needs to do their research when using priceline. If you do this, Priceline works beautifully.

The Better Bidding & Bidding for Travel Sites help me. I got a 4* FT Lauderdale in December for $99 Renassance by Marriott.

You can look at the hotel list and recent prices for each star

Ive used Priceline for years all over the country successfully

The Better Bidding & Bidding for Travel Sites help me. I got a 4* FT Lauderdale in December for $99 Renassance by Marriott.

You can look at the hotel list and recent prices for each star

Ive used Priceline for years all over the country successfully

Priceline only works if people are willing to do the necessary research before bidding. I've also had great success using it over the years. I always recommend it to others.

Archived