sun princess elevators

antsp

How foolish you make us feel!

My wife and I were on the Sun Princess mid-May, when she repositioned up the Left Coast from San Francisco to Vancouver, and neither of us remember whether or not she has "talking elevators".

Michael

But even sister ships have differences between them. It's very rare to find two identical ships.

In any event, Dawn and Sun aren't twins. If anything, they're two out of four quadruplets. The other two were Ocean and Sea. Ocean is currently sailing for P&O mainline as Oceana, and Sea as Adonia. In April/May 2005 Adonia is coming back to Princess as Sea Princess once again.

And one of the quads is markedly different from the other three, although the details now escape me - it's something that has a marked effect on how much she's charged to go through the Panama Canal.

Ships are charged a specific rate for the Canal based on Tonnage, with or without passengers - Last I knew the 4 sun class ships were all the same tonnage - they differ only in decorations , etc. We have been on all but the Ocean.

Yes, the Sun's elevators announce each deck as you arrive. They also have a "charming" habit of forgetting where they were going. Several times I was on them and they would stop at a deck, clear all the lighted/selected decks, not open the door, then proceed in the opposite direction they were originally going!

Ships are charged a specific rate for the Canal based on Tonnage, with or without passengers - Last I knew the 4 sun class ships were all the same tonnage - they differ only in decorations , etc. We have been on all but the Ocean.
I couldn't easily find the original source for what I remembered, but it was easy to find that the Sun and the Dawn have a different bridge from the Sea and the Ocean. The latter two have enclosed bridge wings, which themselves increase the ships' tonnage (as that is a measurement of enclosed volume, not weight). I'm still trying to find my original source.

One other difference, apparently, is that Princess also changed lifeboat vendor during the course of the series - so it wouldn't be surprising if the lifts/elevators were also changed or improved.

Globalizer is correct about the enclosed bridge wings changing the GRT - they do!

Often many running changes in a class of ship, including subcontractors/vendors, etc.

Very few real "twins" afloat.

Michael

My DW tells me that the Sun elevators do announce the floor you are on - shows you how much I pay attention to a mouth without a face!!! ANYWAY- we don't normally use the elevator unless it is more than three floors or at embarkation/disembarkation when we are toting our carryons.

Archived