Shawl really necessary?

trarecar

I've spent quite a bit of money on my cocktail gowns and formal gowns, and I hate the thought of covering them up with a shawl or a shrug or something. But I hate to be cold! I get cold easily and I don't want to be shivering in the dining room.

I haven't gotten anything yet for the cruise, but I do already have one shawl that is more ornamental than anything. Lacey-like. It won't keep me warm.

What do you ladies do, and do you have a picture of you with it on with your dresses? My cruise is in two weeks!

I'm always cold, so I always have a shawl with me, but I found that on the ships I've been in, it can vary from day to day and venue to venue. Sometimes I carry the shawl and don't wear it at all. I'd rather have it with me, though, even if I end up not wearing it!

I don't have any pix, but for formal nights I have a beautiful black embroidered shawl that a friend brought me back from India. It's a very sheer fabric (either linen or cotton, I removed the tag and now I don't remember) with black embroidery. Everything I own goes with black :D .

As to covering up your dress, while you're sitting in the DR or in the theater you won't really be showing off your dress that much anyway, I think. When walking around the ship you probably won't need the shawl, and that's when you'll really get the chance to wow'em with your gowns :) .

I don't remember ever being really cold on a cruise, but then again I do prefer being somewhere between cool and cold temperature wise. So the shawls I take on cruises are more to cover my upper arms (hate them!) than keeping warm.

I am always cold so for the past 2 cruises taken shawls but I haven't ever needed them as I usually end up spending a little more time in the sun than healthy so I become a furnace. :o So, when packing, keep that in mind if you are a sun worshipper. I did see many people on the ship who had them and they looked lovely and did not detract from the gown. You can always shrug it off when the photographer comes around.

Love shawls and take them with me on cruises but I hate wearing them! Maybe it's all the fussy fussing going on keeping them over your shoulders or over the arms...then you need to remove them when dining or they will get in the way.

My solution is throwing a black velvet hooded zippered jacket just over my shoulders. It's quite dressy and because of the material, it does not slip around, my dress or gown is still visible and I stay warm enough. It's worked out for me better than a shawl.

Though I like the look of shawls sometimes (on others), I simply cannot keep them on my shoulders. Guess I have narrow or sloping shoulders, or slump too much. Like the poster above, I spend most of my time trying to get the darn thing to behave. I do get cold easily, and have been very cold in some dining rooms or other areas of the ship; other times I'm just fine.

My solution is to carry a light weight, very dressy sweater with me; I have a beaded black one I often use; and wear it only if necessary, often just around my shoulders. That way if it's so cold I'm miserable I can wear it. Other wise it simply rests on my lap or on the chair. A shrug or evening jacket would work too.

I like my dress to show too, so I only wear a cover-up if necessary.

Take a shawl just in case.

I don't need it at dinner, maybe its the warmth from the food.

The show is another story, once you sit down, and you are a bit tired...that is when you'll need the shawl.

Payd:)

Love shawls and take them with me on cruises but I hate wearing them! Maybe it's all the fussy fussing going on keeping them over your shoulders or over the arms...then you need to remove them when dining or they will get in the way.

My solution is throwing a black velvet hooded zippered jacket just over my shoulders. It's quite dressy and because of the material, it does not slip around, my dress or gown is still visible and I stay warm enough. It's worked out for me better than a shawl.

WHAT?

Take a shawl just in case.

I don't need it at dinner, maybe its the warmth from the food.

The show is another story, once you sit down, and you are a bit tired...that is when you'll need the shawl.

Payd:)

That's exactly my experience, too. I'm always warm enough during dinner and immediately after dinner, but when we go to the show I'm freezing.

My solution is to change out of the formal gown after dinner and put on something warmer - like a skirt and sweater. I know, I know ... it's formal night and we're supposed to stay formal all evening, but it's that or go crawl under the covers. ;)

There's always the option of not taking anything and if it gets too cold, just pop into one of the shops onboard and buy an pashmina. I think they have them in every color of the rainbow and they usually only cost $10. At least that's the cost I've seen on RCCL and Celebrity. They are pretty warm as well as pretty.

I hate scarves/shawls but find them necessary on some ships. I have had the best results with a Muslim woman's hijab in black. A friend bought it for me from Saudi Arabia...I have used it as a shawl, a scarf and bathing suit cover-up. I do not know the material, but it keeps me warm...and cool.

When black does not go with my outfit, I buy something in the 10 dollar store (on most ships) or buy something in one of the ports.

I would rather have one and not wear it, than not have one and wish I did (been there, did that)!

Coka

sometimes I am cold, really cold in the dining room and the theatre and I am never cold at home Tucson.For my formals I have matching stoles but for other evenings when I want to wear sleeveless I have a black Rayon(looks like pashmina) stole I just got from Ross 9.99.

Archived