port of Los Angeles...Any suggestions?

I posted earlier. Pardon the poorly written lead in. I am traveling out of San Pedro and flying into Long Beach. I don't know the area very well. Any suggestions on where to stay?

San Pedro: It seems a bit spendy for so so accommodations

Long Beach: It used to have a mean reputation, is it still a scary place?

Los Angeles: Should I change my flight arrangements or take a shuttle over to the LA area to stay?

Anaheim: Lots of rooms, but I think it's too far away. One hotel quoted me $150.00 for a taxi.

The big search engines keep suggesting places like Costa Mesa, Manhattan Beach, even Inglewood. This doesn't seem right.

We were going to stay a couple nights before the cruise and one after.

We went to Long Beach for a day last year (to go to the Aquarium) and I noticed a major change from the last time I was there (the late 80s to work at an event on the Queen Mary). I think if you avoid certain areas, you should be all right. We felt safe enough to walk along the waterfront with a nine-yr-old from the Aquarium to Shoreline Village, which is next to the Carnival pier.

San Pedro is very industrial around the port. The residential area is up on the mountain there. Some CCers have found a few hotels that are serviceable for a pre-cruise stay. There are a few restaurants in the Ports O'Call area...and if you're seated in the right area, and on the right day and time, you can see cruiseships departing.

Santa Monica is nice, but probably a bit more pricey. Many restaurants in the area and a pedestrian area called the Third Street Promenade is a nice, quiet area that's fun to hang out.

These areas are not too far away to the World Cruise Center in San Pedro (for non-Carnival ships).

Anaheim is a long distance away. If you're planning to spend the day at Disneyland or Knotts Berry Farm and then spend the night, be aware that any hotels near DL will be pricey and you would still have to get a shuttle or taxi to the port.

Places like Manhattan Beach and Costa Mesa are a distance away, so if you get a low price, you will still need to pay transportation to San Pedro. Can't see you coming out ahead here.

Inglewood, El Segundo, these areas are either not safe or just not near any attractions to see in LA.

I would strongly advise against downtown LA. It seems some people get a bug up the you know what about staying there and don't realize -- even when the native Angelenos tell them the reasons to avoid this area -- that any low cost hotels will be flea bags and it's a far and costly taxi drive to get to the ports and the airports.

You can look around the West Coast Departures threads and find many recommendations for hotels in Long Beach, Santa Monica and San Pedro.

Hope this helps.

We've stayed at Coast Hotel in Long Beach - very nice and we've stayed at what is now the Sunrise Hotel in San Pedro, convenient, clean and free shuttle, and we've stayed here post cruise - http://www.doubletree.com/en/dt/hotels/index.jhtml?ctyhocn=LAXEGDT - convenient, nice, near the airport and short cab ride or rental car to beaches.

All nice

I posted earlier. Pardon the poorly written lead in. I am traveling out of San Pedro and flying into Long Beach. I don't know the area very well. Any suggestions on where to stay?

Los Angeles: Should I change my flight arrangements or take a shuttle over to the LA area to stay?

Anaheim: Lots of rooms, but I think it's too far away. One hotel quoted me $150.00 for a taxi.

The big search engines keep suggesting places like Costa Mesa, Manhattan Beach, even Inglewood. This doesn't seem right.

Katie,

Are you just flying in the day before?

Depending on what you want to do and how much time you have, I would definitely stay in Long Beach or Pedro...

I assume that since you are from NoCal, you've been here before and don't have to do most of the touristy things...

Staying in Anaheim is never advisable unless you're planning on visiting Disney...

Ifyou find Pedro pricey, you are not going to want to stay on the West Side (what I assume you mean when you say "Los Angeles"--heaven knows you can't be considering downtown!!)

Costa Mesa is far away...Manhattan Beach is nice, but what's the point? And INGLEWOOD?!?!? Are you kidding?

There is actually nothing wrong with Long Beach...

Remember, Long Beach is a BIG city in and of itself with a population of around half a million...There are "good parts" and "bad parts"...You are NOT staying in "North Long Beach"...Where you would stay, the "Convention Center" area, is actually a very, very nice place to stay for a night or two pre-cruise...You have some very nice hotels, a lot of good restaurants, walking/shopping areas and various attractions (Aquarium, Queen Mary, etc.). There is a free bus system that connects it all...Stay at the Hyatt, the Westin, the Coast, the Renaissance or nearby...Stroll Shoreline Village (Parker's Lighthouse is an excellent dinner recommendation, but there are many other good restaurants in the area as well)...

I would not hesitate staying there for one moment...

I may sound really confused, but if I'm sailing on RCCI on Vision from Los Angeles, is there more than 1 port that I could be leaving from?

I am trying to book airfair to LA (from Toronto) and I need to know how far the port is from the airport. (I suppose there is probably more than 1 airport too:confused:) . The cruise line is offering air at $719 pp, but I can find it online for $500. We are 6, so it would represent a substantial savings to do it ourselves, but I don't know distances - i.e. from airport to pier to hotel, etc. I was looking to fly in the day before, but leave the day of (say around 1 p.m.). Does this sound feasible to any of you seasoned Port of Los Angeles travellers.

I realize that if I book my own air, I have to factor in hotel & transportation in LA (from airport to hotel to pier).

Any and all comments would be much appreciated.

Carmen, Vision sails out of the Port of Los Angeles, located in the neighborhood of San Pedro (it's the city of LA, though - we like to name our neighborhoods just to confuse things.:) ). There is also a cruise ship port in Long Beach, to the south/west of LA, but Carnival is the only major line sailing from there, so don't worry about it.

From Toronto, I imagine that the only nonstop service will be to LAX, which is about 19 miles from the port. The time to travel that 19 miles can range from about 40 minutes to well over an hour depending on traffic conditions and the time of day (try to avoid arriving in the late afternoon/early evening). A 1:00 flight home should be fine, even if there are slight delays in disembarking the ship, which often happens on Vision as Customs & Immigration seem to have something against her.

My preferred airport is Long Beach, but service is very limited (about 45 flights/day) and you would have to connect in New York or someplace else to fly in there, so your total travel time and hassle might well be greater.

With 6 people, I think you can book a van for yourselves with either Prime Time or Supershuttle to take you to and from the pier. I don't usually like the shuttles because they will circle the airport looking for additional fares if you're a single, but with your group you should be able to aoid that. If you Google the two shuttle companies you can get an idea of their prices.

Several of the hotels in San Pedro offer complimentary shuttle service to the pier - the Crowne Plaza, Holiday Inn and Doubletree. I think you sign up when you arrive.

Happy sailing!

critterchick - thanks so much for your reply. I think you've covered everything! I'm going to have a pow-wow with my family and probably cancel the air portion of our Royal Caribbean reservation, and go it ourselves. The only thing we probably have to decide is if we want to leave LAX at the end of the cruise at around 1:00 p.m. or 11:00 p.m. The later time will allow us more of a cushion, but we'll have to "hang" for quite a few hours.

When I was trying to decide on a hotel, I looked at the thread above concerning booking on Priceline. I'd never done it before, but I think it will work out well. Nancy

I just want to note that Long Beach is so much better than it used to be. It is a beautiful town with quite a bit to do.

If you can fly in and out of Long Beach that is great as it is much easier than LAX and much more convenient to the port of Los Angeles.

We stayed at the Hyatt in Long Beach. There are many other hotels to choose from. We saw the aquarium, took the self guided tour on the Queen Mary and walked around the town.

The next day we went to the ship and it was about a 15-20 minute ride over there.

Keith

There has been some mis-information posted in this thread.

For some of you who are map-challenged and or Los Angeles-centric...

Costa Mesa is not as far from Long Beach/San Pedro as is Santa Monica. Anaheim is also closer than Santa Monica. Therefore the comments that Anaheim or Costa Mesa are far away are just not true.

In my opinion, if you want to stay at some clean new safe areas that beat the pants off of Santa Monica then check out Costa Mesa/Newport or even further south would fit that bill. If you want to go to Disneyland for a day then check out the hotels either on the Disney property itself or the major hotels over by the Anaheim convention center or on Harbor blvd close to the Disney property. It is just not true that this area is not safe near Disneyland. The area has undergone quite a renaissance in the last decade or so.

As the resident Historian/Geographer, I've got to step in here...

First, Costa Mesa IS farther away from the pier in San Pedro than is Santa Monica...depending of course, where in Costa Mesa or where in Santa Monical you are measuring from...

But, from the Santa Monica Pier to the pier in San Pedro, according to Maps.Yahoo, it's 29.5 miles...

From the center of Costa Mesa, it's 35 miles to the San Pedro Cruise Terminal...

From Disneyland to the San Pedro Pier, it's 33.2 miles...From the Honda Center in Anaheim to the pier, it's 36.6 miles...

Okay... a little history lesson now on "we like to name our neighborhoods"...

I know that comment was intended to be facetious, but...

The truth is that historically speaking, Los Angeles was not one big city...

The entire area grew up as several smaller and distinct cities...

Originally, aside from the Native Americans, who were also fragmented into several distinct tribes (Utes, Chumash, etc.), the area was first settled by the Spaniards, particularly the Franciscans--who established Missions all roughly a days' horse ride apart, but more to correspond with existing Native populations...So, you had Spanish Missions in San Juan Capistrano in South Orange County, San Gabriel (East of present-day Pasadena), San Fernando (northern San Fernando Valley), Ventura, Santa Barbara and Solvang...

The Spanish usually later supported the Missions with a military presence in the form of a fort or "Presidio"...But, the Missions in San Gabriel and San Fernando were both pretty far inland and not deemed important enough to warrant a separate Presidio for each...so, they compromised and built the Presidio halfway in between...and at a site with a ready water supply...where the partially underground LA River reemerged to the surface...the location becoming El Pueblo de Nuestra Senora la Reina de los Angeles de Porcuncula...which eventually was shortened to "Los Angeles"...

The Spanish also divided up the entire region into large land grant "Ranchos"--which were given to prominent citizens--both Spanish AND Americans/Europeans (The largest landowner in California during the Spanish/Mexican era was John Sutter)...Many of these Rancho owners eventually subdivided and sold off land and founded small cities --obviously spread out around the region...

All of these cities were separately incorporated and actually "grew up" apart...Since they are so widespread around such a large region...and since most of the Ranchos surrounding them remained as farms or ranches for a good portion of their history, they truly were distinct...

Until the beginning of the 20th Century, the City of Los Angeles was a mere 28 square miles...

Then, a couple of interesting things happened...

First, the City decided it needed to have a harbor...not easy for a city a good 20 to 30 miles INLAND...California law required that, in order to annex territory, it had to be adjacent to the existing city...So, in 1909, Los Angeles made a land deal...it basically bought up all of the rights to the San Pedro waterfront and built a harbor in San Pedro...and then "annexed" what was formerly the incorporated city of San Pedro into Los Angeles...along with a narrow strip of land several miles long and abnout two blocks wide all the way from Los Angeles to San Pedro...

Second, (You've all seen the movie "Chinatown" with Jack Nicholson and Faye Dunnaway, right? Based on a true story..."William Mulray" in the movie was actually the real life William Mulholland, the architect of the Los Angeles Water and Power Department...the scenes where someone is secretly buying up farmland in the San Fernando Valley...That was Harry Chandler, publisher of the LA Times and his rich and powerful friends...and they were dumping water in the San Fernando Valley?? All true...) OF course, it all happened in the 1910s, not the 1930s as in the movie--the director just liked the 1930s style to present it as a period piece...Anyway, Los Angeles acquired a giant water source--the rights to the Owens Valley in the high desert--and the runoff from the snow-laden Southern Sierra Nevada. Now, in SoCal, water IS power...Most local cities had no reliable water supply...That limited growth and caused a variety of problems...

Water-rich Los Angeles offered a deal: We'll share the water if you agree to be annexed into the City of Los Angeles...Too good a deal for most of these struggling cities to pass up...So dozens of cities, including many that were long time incorporated--like Venice, Hollywood, Eagle Rock, Sawtelle...as well as most of the Chandler-controlled San Fernando Valley...bought in and became part of "Los Angeles" (Some cities, like Santa Monica and Beverly Hills, had their own plentiful water sources and opted out, retaining their independence--but are now completely surrounded by "Los Angeles")...

But, most of these cities, though part of Los Angeles, retained their names...they have their own post office designations, their own "downtown" areas...It's just they are governed politically by Los Angeles...Just don't tell my mother who proudly lives in Pacific Palisades that she lives in Los Angeles...

When one travels outside of SoCal and is asked where they live, for simplification's sake, we MAY just say "Los Angeles"...But ask anyone in Los Angeles where they live and very few will say "Los Angeles"...Most of us live in cities that are actually separately incorporated and distinct--like me--I live in Calabasas...Many others live in places like Pacific Palisades, San Pedro, Venice, Encino, Reseda, Tarzana, Sherman Oaks, Studio City and on and on...Those cities no longer exist as political entities...they are all part of the City of Los Angeles...But, if you hop in a cab at LAX and you want to go to Venice or San Pedro, don't tell the cabbie you're heading for Los Angeles...

Well after Briun Steve's exhausting post based on cherry-picked selective information, I have the following conclusion myself...

Anaheim and Costa Mesa are not that far from either Long Beach or San Pedro. If you have a car and want to go there or stay there they are still viable options. They aren't that far especially when compared to Santa Monica. So go there if you want.

Well after Briun Steve's exhausting post based on cherry-picked selective information, I have the following conclusion myself...

Anaheim and Costa Mesa are not that far from either Long Beach or San Pedro. If you have a car and want to go there or stay there they are still viable options. They aren't that far especially when compared to Santa Monica. So go there if you want.

"cherry-picked selective information"????

Ummmm...try based on FACT.

Santa Monica is closer to the San Pedro Pier than either Costa Mesa or Anaheim...Sort of hard to argue with. I used Disneyland and the Santa Monica Pier because those are locations in those towns closest to the largest concentrations of hotels...Had I wanted to "cherry pick", I'd use the Bundy on-ramp to the I-10!!

Of course, the reason I recommend Santa Monica is NOT for it's convenience to the port. If one wants to be close to the port, I recommend staying in San Pedro or in the Long Beach Convention Center area...

The reason I recommend Santa Monica, especially for those spending multiple days on a pre- or post-cruise stay is its convenience to the sites MOST people want to visit in LA: Beverly Hills/Rodeo Drive, Hollywood, the Getty Museum, Venice Boardwalk, etc. and for the multitude of restaurants, walking streets, nightlife, etc.--the Third Street Promenade, Palisades Park, the Santa Monica Pier...

Sure, there are hotels in Anaheim...but the ONLY reason I'd recommend anyone staying there is if they intend to spend multiple days at Disney...and there's nothing wrong with Costa Mesa--if the gist of your trip is flying in and out of John Wayne...Otherwise, yeah it's a nice town, but nothing special...

And, for most visitors, they're flying in and out of LAX...and Costa Mesa's about 50 miles from LAX...Santa Monica's TEN...

You are just too much BS.

Santa Monica, for those of you who haven't been there, isn't that great. Think Miami Beach, but not as charming and nice without the energy of Miami. It's old, urban and crowded, with lots of homeless types milling around. If you absolutely have to go there just go for the afternoon. Then you can get away.

Whoa, geographical catfight! At least no one here is insisting that downtown LA is a great place to stay (my pet peeve, as many of you have seen).

I don't usually head down to the OC, but last March I did drive down to Orange for a pre-cruise party. The traffic was incredible thick on a Sunday afternoon (of course, that can be said for the 405) going south and coming back north. Maybe after whatever construction seems to be going on... Or maybe not.

If you're planning to do DL or KBF, then maybe staying there is a good idea. But like DL and the Disney Cruiseline, seems expensive. To me, Costa Mesa means a big mall -- but then there's big malls in Torrance (where I wouldn't stay the night) and Canoga Park.

Steve's right about us Angelenos considering ourselves from whatever community. I would say I'm from Northridge (and grew up in Encino and Woodland Hills). But if I'm elsewhere, I say Los Angeles. When I was in grad school in Missouri, I said LA. Turned out my next door neighbor in the dorm was from WH too (we were in Spanish 2 together) and a guy I met, when I said LA, he said he grew up in LA. We started narrowing down things and we found out we went to neighboring high schools.

BTW, the residents of San Pedro and the San Fernando Valley both tried to secede from the City of Los Angeles at the same time. I can't remember if SP's vote actually got on the ballot. SFV's attempt failed because not only did Vals have to approve the measure, but also Los Angeles residents in general. Seems like the odds were stacked against secession. If it had passed, Valley City (McValley, or whatever it would be called) would have been the nation's 7th largest city in population, I think.

Okay, you folks can take out your wands again (sorry, re-reading HP 7 again).

CruisenChick,

Uh oh - why wouldn't you stay in Torrance? We are cruising to Hawaii in November and our TA has buses coming from Sacramento. The hotels in San Pedro were booked because of a Habitat for Humanity convention so she booked us all at the Hilton (now Doubletree) in Torrance.

Hey katiebug!

Just answering your original questions here...

I'm going to say in the meantime, that it sounds like you want 2 days before your cruise and one day after.

And you won't have a rental car?

As you can see from some of the discussion above, there are many options as LA is a HUGE area, and each place has it's own distinct quirks and benefits.

So, it really depends on what kind of people you are, and what you want to do or see in your time here...

Do you want to just chill out and relax for a few days?

Hit some clubs or restaurants?

Take a Hollywood tour?

Beach time?

Shopping?

Do you like historic places, funky places, "safe" places, activities, art museums, etc.?

More info will help give the best advice for YOU and what you are wanting to get out of your time here...

That being said just to give you some ideas, to collect your thoughts, or spur more ideas...

Here are some good hotels in San Pedro that both are really making efforts to gear to cruisers:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=601984

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=602015

And then here's my own little "tour" of things to see, if you decide to stay in that area:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=567043

Long Beach next...

Other ideas "outside" of the Long Beach/San Pedro area, just for things that might interest you otherwise for the two days before...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=517205

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=511653

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=500138

At the very least, this might help you familiarize yourself with some different areas...

You have a lot of good options, depending on what you want to do...

So, in my best hopes and wishes, this will help you decide, have more specific questions, or narrow down your search somewhat...

CJW:D

Archived