Anyone ever booked the Penthouse?

PoseidonGodoftheSea

I have to admit the idea has occurred to me once or twice. It wouldn't be impossible, but don't know anybody that has ever done it. Would I be paying a lot more for the same amenities found in an RS?

In the absence of getting a first hand account from one of the current posters, does anyone know of a link within cruisecritic? It doesn't matter what ship or line, but I'd prefer hearing about X penthouses specifically.

Paying "alot more" is a relative term. Paying "somewhat more" might be worth it to certain people who just may be looking to have more space. It all depends on one's economic status, don't you think?

Believe it or not, there are folks who drop $10,000 like others drop a hundred bucks . . . without batting an eye.

Wealth (or the lack thereof) is in the eye of the beholder.

Paying "alot more" is a relative term. Paying "somewhat more" might be worth it to certain people who just may be looking to have more space. It all depends on one's economic status, don't you think?

Believe it or not, there are folks who drop $10,000 like others drop a hundred bucks . . . without batting an eye.

I live in the land of the Microsoft multi-millionaire (Seattle area). I see the fancy homes and wonder to myself, "who the heck can afford that?"

Cheryl

What I meant was are there enough additional amenities to justify the difference in price between the RS and a Penthouse? Or is it just more space that you are getting.

As far as finding a review, each ship has very few penthouses, which means there will be very few reviews out there. I just thought someone might be aware of one or two without having to open up every review on cruisecritic.

We had a PH on Summit back in 2002. Some pictures you can find are at:

http://www.kroooz-cams.com/special/photos7.htm

It is very big and really not meant for two, even if you are a "cabin rat". You really need to plan on doing some entertaining.

Somethings we found that go beyond a RS. Two bottles of liquor plus lots of mixers. Full size fridge in the butler's pantry that also held enough cold wine glasses for the party of 20 or so pictured above (actually two parties, one at sailaway and one at mid-cruise). Treadmill and stationary bike. Personal attention by the senior staff (most notibly the Social Hostess (no longer a position at Celebrity) and Hotel Director who brought some special congac). Sat at the captains table with the staff captain. DVD player and CD player with music that could be piped outside. Also swear the Butler was notified when we came back from shore because he was always there to open the door for us. Table for 8 inside.

But your experince is probably not going to be the exactly the same. Celebrity has evolved over the time.

We had a PH on Summit back in 2002. Some pictures you can find are at:

http://www.kroooz-cams.com/special/photos7.htm

It is very big and really not meant for two, even if you are a "cabin rat". You really need to plan on doing some entertaining.

Hehe, you all know me pretty well. Thanks for the pics and info.

I am sailing with 19 friends on September 14 aboard the Summit for 14 nights. I have one of the Penthouses, another friend has the other Penthouse and we have a Royal Suite booked in our group. Once we complete the sailing I will be able to give you good comparison review. One of my friends has had both PS and RS rooms in the past and has said there is no comparison. We booked the two Penthouses the very day they came on the market in April 2006.

Hi PGOS,

Here's a link to a Celebrity "Constellation" penthouse....

http://travel.webshots.com/album/555735256CxZgoM

Enjoy!

CM

Thanks for the pictures. We will be on the Constellation next March, alas not in the Penthouse and I have no expectations of an invite either. Still it is nice to see what it looks like.

To the OP: yes, the amenities in a PH are pretty much the same as in a RS, except that you get SO much more room. We put four people in a PH on the Inifity last year. It was nice having two full bathrooms and we sure enjoyed the kitchen, especially having our own icemaker. ;) The butler was extremely attentive... although, I think they all are. We hosted a Cruise Critic sail away party one evening... it was great having that huge deck. I was very much looking forward to having "my own" treadmill and stationary bike for the cruise, but was disappointed to find no treadmill at all and the bike not functioning. I was told that they don't handle being outside, exposed to the salt air, and basically they're always on the "to be fixed" list.

Was it fun and worth it? Yes... to do once.

MECruzr

Hi PGOS,

Here's a link to a Celebrity "Constellation" penthouse....

http://travel.webshots.com/album/555735256CxZgoM

Enjoy!

CM

Thanks CC, looks like everybody was having a good time. Where'd all the flags come from? Did they put those up for the party? Or was it just a part of the decor?

My family and I have been in the PH 5 times and I've been in a RS 4. The balcony in the PH is more than worth the cost. It's huge, there are tons of chairs, the umbrella table can fit 6 and we dine out there a lot. You can always find sun on the balcony, so you don't ever have to fight the chair hogs at the pool, and there's a nice sized hot tub, in a sheltered area of the PH balcony, so you have privacy if you use that. The bathroom is huge, and there's a second bathroom with a full shower. If you're doing an itinerary where a balcony is used a lot, such as the Panama Canal, the PH is perfect for that. You have areas of sun, and once that gets too hot, you can find a shady area and still not miss seeing anything.

Celebrity Man, what a perfect time to have the PH, during a TA crossing!

We'll be in the Aft 7208 above...maybe we'll just slip over the side and join a party, no one will notice, right :) ?

And if anyone is interested, look at the very last picture - the hors d'oeuvres on the table look quite similar to what they bring you in Concierge Class for your afternoon treat (not the caviar, but I saw several familiar options) - a lot of people wonder what you get, and I "believe" (can't REALLY tell from the picture) but they seem to be pretty close (lots of doodas on rounds of bread).

Celebrity Man, what a perfect time to have the PH, during a TA crossing!

We'll be in the Aft 7208 above...maybe we'll just slip over the side and join a party, no one will notice, right :) ?

And if anyone is interested, look at the very last picture - the hors d'oeuvres on the table look quite similar to what they bring you in Concierge Class for your afternoon treat (not the caviar, but I saw several familiar options) - a lot of people wonder what you get, and I "believe" (can't REALLY tell from the picture) but they seem to be pretty close (lots of doodas on rounds of bread).

You could also drop your empty beer cans down on them if ya do not get invited:)

We have 7208 for Venice to Barcelona coming up in November, we have aleady warned our friends below.

We have never had the PH but what time we got to visit was sure a pleasure.

Hey Tom, what a great idea...throw my beer cans at them! I was just going to squish my face up against the plexiglass in a really pathetic, sad way, until they said "oh hey you, come on down and eat our caviar"!!!!

Actually, I've been in afts 3 times and have therefore looked down on (6) PH's, and only once did I see any signs of life - a poor schlub who spent every minute of every day out on his deck with a stack of work and on his cell phone.

Our last trip I think the PH's were broken or something, because every day there were crew in overalls on their decks doing "something"...and we never saw any real people.

Have a penthouse on the Century TA in December. (Booked the first day it came out) - Looking forward to the experience. Had a RS on the Millie last December on the TA . . .know that the PH is smaller on the Century . . . . but guess we'll be cabin rats. . . have to soak in every $$$

Hey Tom, what a great idea...throw my beer cans at them! I was just going to squish my face up against the plexiglass in a really pathetic, sad way, until they said "oh hey you, come on down and eat our caviar"!!!!

Actually, I've been in afts 3 times and have therefore looked down on (6) PH's, and only once did I see any signs of life - a poor schlub who spent every minute of every day out on his deck with a stack of work and on his cell phone.

Our last trip I think the PH's were broken or something, because every day there were crew in overalls on their decks doing "something"...and we never saw any real people.

The "something" you probably saw was they wash the teak decks every day and wash just about everything, including furniture after a sea day. They are pretty discreet about it and don't do when you are in the cabin.

Also, just like everyone else folks in PH do take shore excurisions.

And even at sea days, keep in mind that about 1/4 - 1/3 is covered so if its sunny sitting under the covered part of the verandah is pretty nice.

From my post above, yeah you really don't need it unless you are going to be entertaining. We had a sailaway and mid-cruise get togethers for other CC'ers and also had folks over for dinner. We didn't invite anyone saying the were going to toss beer cans at us ;).

As mentioned, nice for a one time go but a RS is pretty more reasonable and more manageable.

We have had PH twice - Infinity to Hawaai and Summit to Southern Carribbean, and RS twice. PH is the ultimate - mostly because of the deck. That is wonderful - all that room and lots of seats and the hottub. WOW! We entertained several times and the butler was very accomodating. The butler would put our mid day snacks into the frigerator for us and always was there to meet us at the dock when we returned from shore excursions - maybe he checks the times for the ones we booked?? Once, he even had robes and hot chocolate waiting when we got caught in the rain.....how is that for service?

Archived