Quickie Fashion review, Liberty Aug.18/07

Hi everyone,

Just a quickie review/observation of a few things I saw while cruising on the beautiful Liberty of the Seas last week. The ship is magnificent and we had a great time. I didn't want to post a day by day review of the daily stuff, but more so of my observations, beauty and fashion-wise, since I had enjoyed reading this particular forum before my trip.

~Swim wear - lots of bikini babes, cute colors, different styles. Also lots of one piece suits, many skirted, some tankini suits too. What I observed and confirmed is that we are all women, beautiful in any size and shape, and that we should just "go for it". No one cared how we looked in our suits... it's our vacation and I hope no one will worry about their suit or their body. Please go and enjoy yourself. :)

Ack! Ack! Speedo alert! Yes, we saw several speedos. They are alive and well. Ewww.

~Casual wear - on our Eastern Caribbean itinerary, I saw mostly shorts and tank tops on women. I wore a couple of skirts, and I also saw lots of pretty sundresses and strapless casual dresses. Oooof.... did see a man in a tank top in the Paramount Theater one night. Ack! Our whole family noticed him and I have to say he did look out of place there.

~Formal wear - we had 2 formal nights, and it seemed as though anything went. I wore black dress pants, high heels and a sparkly top, and I felt very comfortable. I saw one woman wearing the most beautiful black chiffon-type pants, soft and flowing with slits up the sides, very appropriate and gorgeous for formal night. We saw only a few men in tuxes; most men wore suits, and lots of young kids wore suits too! So cute. :) Remarkably, we did see some shorts in the dining room... such a hotly-debated topic in the main forums! Oh well.

~Nails, personal grooming - lots of gel/acrylic nails, lots and lots (most women I saw, actually) had painted toes, all different colors. I also saw a lot of French pedicures. Also, many if not most ladies (and men) had a base tan and were quite dark.

Two beach days absolutely ruined my pedicure. The sand and rocks can be very abrasive on painted tootsies. If you have a pedicure, I'd recommend taking a bottle of your polish for touch-ups.

~Footwear - wow, such pretty shoes! Lots had sparkles on them, even flip flops with sparkles, so pretty in the Caribbean sunshine. I was shocked, however, at the amount of barefooted passengers I saw... many kids running around barefoot, adults barefoot in all areas of the ship. My concern isn't necessarily with how appropriate or not this is, but more of a hygienic issue - would you allow your kids to go to the Mall barefoot? The floors are dirty... not to mention the possibility of broken glass and so on. I would definitely recommend footwear at all times, even around the pool in some cheap flip flops.

~Shawls, purses - my daughter said she was chilly in the Dining Room, and had forgotten to bring her own pashmina. I saw the pashminas on sale in the gift shop for $10.00 in all colors, the second day of the cruise until the end. There were also evening bags on sale for $10.00, mostly black, with sequins and beads. I would have bought one but I really didn't need it. ;)

~Norovirus - no evidence on our sailing. I was rather surprised that there were no sanitizing stations at the entrances to restaurants; I did, however, ask for antibacterial wipes at the entrance to the Windjammer. They keep them under the desk - just ask for them and they are happily provided. I took 2: one to use immediately, and the other to cleanse after touching all the utensils. In the case of no outbreak, passengers are allowed to serve themselves.

~Personal items - man, wouldn't you know it!! Um, I guess I had miscalculated the date, but I got my "friend" on the cruise. *sigh* It's funny, I thought about throwing some protection into my bag but decided I wouldn't need them. A box of Tampax cost me $8.00 on the ship, but at least they sold them. Suggestion: take protection with you even if you are not due; it's uncomfortable to not have your own brand and it's expensive, too. :p

Hmm... anything else? I can answer questions if you have any.

Have a great cruise!

~Karen

Thanks for your fun review! And I loved this observation:

What I observed and confirmed is that we are all women, beautiful in any size and shape, and that we should just "go for it". No one cared how we looked in our suits... it's our vacation and I hope no one will worry about their suit or their body. Please go and enjoy yourself. :)

It is so true and maybe if we all hear it enough, we'll start believing it. I'm an American living in Spain, really close to the beach. Pretty much everyone here wears bikinis and you can just tell by looking at women how comfortable they are in their own skin. I think that's a good thing and we should all learn to follow suit. Who doesn't want to lose a few pounds (myself included)? But it shouldn't take away from your enjoyment while at the beach, engaging in water activities, etc. :D

Hi everyone,

No one cared how we looked in our suits... it's our vacation and I hope no one will worry about their suit or their body. Please go and enjoy yourself. :)

Ack! Ack! Speedo alert! Yes, we saw several speedos. They are alive and well. Ewww.

You sort of contradict yourself here. Speedo vs swimsuit. No one cares about how other people look in a swimsuit, but Speedo is a different story? You do care or you wouldn't have mentioned a particular brand of bathing suit.

I'm sorry to nitpick, but people do comment on how good/bad/inappropriate attire is -- you just proved it.

Me, I stay out of swimsuits and indoors. I do care what people think of what I look like. It's a bad way to be, but I know I look terrible in a bathing suit.

--Judy

Hi everyone,

Just a quickie review/observation of a few things I saw while cruising on the beautiful Liberty of the Seas last week. The ship is magnificent and we had a great time. I didn't want to post a day by day review of the daily stuff, but more so of my observations, beauty and fashion-wise, since I had enjoyed reading this particular forum before my trip.

~Swim wear - lots of bikini babes, cute colors, different styles. Also lots of one piece suits, many skirted, some tankini suits too. What I observed and confirmed is that we are all women, beautiful in any size and shape, and that we should just "go for it". No one cared how we looked in our suits... it's our vacation and I hope no one will worry about their suit or their body. Please go and enjoy yourself. :)

~Casual wear - on our Eastern Caribbean itinerary, I saw mostly shorts and tank tops on women. I wore a couple of skirts, and I also saw lots of pretty sundresses and strapless casual dresses. Oooof.... did see a man in a tank top in the Paramount Theater one night. Ack! Our whole family noticed him and I have to say he did look out of place there.

~Formal wear - we had 2 formal nights, and it seemed as though anything went. I wore black dress pants, high heels and a sparkly top, and I felt very comfortable. I saw one woman wearing the most beautiful black chiffon-type pants, soft and flowing with slits up the sides, very appropriate and gorgeous for formal night. We saw only a few men in tuxes; most men wore suits, and lots of young kids wore suits too! So cute. :) Remarkably, we did see some shorts in the dining room... such a hotly-debated topic in the main forums! Oh well.

~Nails, personal grooming - lots of gel/acrylic nails, lots and lots (most women I saw, actually) had painted toes, all different colors. I also saw a lot of French pedicures. Also, many if not most ladies (and men) had a base tan and were quite dark.

Two beach days absolutely ruined my pedicure. The sand and rocks can be very abrasive on painted tootsies. If you have a pedicure, I'd recommend taking a bottle of your polish for touch-ups.

~Footwear - wow, such pretty shoes! Lots had sparkles on them, even flip flops with sparkles, so pretty in the Caribbean sunshine. I was shocked, however, at the amount of barefooted passengers I saw... many kids running around barefoot, adults barefoot in all areas of the ship. My concern isn't necessarily with how appropriate or not this is, but more of a hygienic issue - would you allow your kids to go to the Mall barefoot? The floors are dirty... not to mention the possibility of broken glass and so on. I would definitely recommend footwear at all times, even around the pool in some cheap flip flops.

~Shawls, purses - my daughter said she was chilly in the Dining Room, and had forgotten to bring her own pashmina. I saw the pashminas on sale in the gift shop for $10.00 in all colors, the second day of the cruise until the end. There were also evening bags on sale for $10.00, mostly black, with sequins and beads. I would have bought one but I really didn't need it. ;)

~Norovirus - no evidence on our sailing. I was rather surprised that there were no sanitizing stations at the entrances to restaurants; I did, however, ask for antibacterial wipes at the entrance to the Windjammer. They keep them under the desk - just ask for them and they are happily provided. I took 2: one to use immediately, and the other to cleanse after touching all the utensils. In the case of no outbreak, passengers are allowed to serve themselves.

~Personal items - man, wouldn't you know it!! Um, I guess I had miscalculated the date, but I got my "friend" on the cruise. *sigh* It's funny, I thought about throwing some protection into my bag but decided I wouldn't need them. A box of Tampax cost me $8.00 on the ship, but at least they sold them. Suggestion: take protection with you even if you are not due; it's uncomfortable to not have your own brand and it's expensive, too. :p

Have a great cruise!

~Karen

Thanks for the fashion review!

I think next cruise I'll stop in to find a new shawl.

Payd:)

Hi everyone,

Have a great cruise!

~Karen

Nevermind....you sailed liberty of the seas, not carnival liberty.

There is a thread on the carnival forum about your sailing that is was a cruise of terror. Apparently a large group (upwards of 800 pax) were rude, obnoxious, out of control and fighting too. The crew did nothing even though others complained 100's of times. Did you see any of this? Several other posters have backed up the op but I was curious as to what you saw since you only posted on the fashion board. Thanks!

This is about the Liberty of the Seas, not Carnival Liberty!!!

You sort of contradict yourself here. Speedo vs swimsuit. No one cares about how other people look in a swimsuit, but Speedo is a different story? You do care or you wouldn't have mentioned a particular brand of bathing suit.

I'm sorry to nitpick, but people do comment on how good/bad/inappropriate attire is -- you just proved it.

Hi Judy,

I was simply stating what I observed and hoped to be of some help to the wonderful women who have always been so helpful to me in this forum. Please note that I did say "we are all women, beautiful in any size and shape" earlier in my post - when I made the Speedo comment, it was more about the suit itself than about how a man looked in it. I never said anything derogatory in my comments about another person. Sorry if it seemed that way.

~Karen

Hi Judy,

I was simply stating what I observed and hoped to be of some help to the wonderful women who have always been so helpful to me in this forum. Please note that I did say "we are all women, beautiful in any size and shape" earlier in my post - when I made the Speedo comment, it was more about the suit itself than about how a man looked in it. I never said anything derogatory in my comments about another person. Sorry if it seemed that way.

~Karen

I'm sorry Karen. I wasn't really upset about it, but I had just seen (not read) a speedo thread. Speedo is a manufacturer of swimsuit and they make both mens and womens suits. I took your comment too literally.

My remarks were snippy and I'm sorry. I guess I was having a bad day. I'm not usually mean, so I do apologize.

But, I still won't put on a bathing suit;) Even the one with the long dress-like affair which covers a multitude of flab. I still haven't figured out how to swim in the thing or(more importantly) leave the pool to go to the ladies room and get back into a wet multi-layer suit!

Judy -->who really is a nice person, I promise!

~Karen

I totally agree with you about the swimwear. I think we Americans worry too much about how we look to others that we forget to live. It is sad that some say to themselves that they will wear a bathing suit when they reach a certain size or weight....and then years go by and it never happens. Memories happen today.....regarless of our size or shape.

I can remember on one of our first cruises, I saw a rather large lady in a pink bikini at the pool. She was absolutely gorgeous....her confidence and personality glowed and the fact that her bathing suit was really small did not diminish her appearance. Seeing this made me realize that it does not matter what you wear (to some degree ;):rolleyes: ).....confidence and a great personality will prevail.

I love to people watch....and while I enjoy seeing other people's fashions (or attempt at it).....I try to look past the clothes and see what they are really like.

So....I wear bikinis and am proud of it!!

Hi everyone,

Have a great cruise!

~Karen

WOW!!! Thanks Karen, I just happened to be looking at the boards and saw this. I am sailing on the Liberty 09/29, almost a month away! My family and I are first time cruisers and I am a little taken back by all the other cruisers who know everything. I liked your review. I looked at your pictures and they turned out great. I was wondering if my Casio 7 mega pixel will be ok? What do you recommend in Puerto Rico and St. Maarten? We are going on the eastern trip also. I would appreciate any tips you have. Isn't Puerto Rico a late afternoon and a short day in port? Did you eat at Chops or Portofino? I don't think I want to spend the extra money. Were you allowed to take alcohol or buy any in port. My hubby and I just wanted a little something to take. Gosh, thanks in advance, I hope you can answer my questions.

Thanks so much,

Michelle

I was wondering if my Casio 7 mega pixel will be ok? What do you recommend in Puerto Rico and St. Maarten? We are going on the eastern trip also. I would appreciate any tips you have. Isn't Puerto Rico a late afternoon and a short day in port? Did you eat at Chops or Portofino? I don't think I want to spend the extra money. Were you allowed to take alcohol or buy any in port. My hubby and I just wanted a little something to take. Gosh, thanks in advance, I hope you can answer my questions.

Hi Michelle,

A lot of your questions are of a general nature and have been answered on the main RCI board, but I'll quickly give you the rundown.

Your camera will be fine; ours is 7.1 - great job. We arrived in San Juan at 3 pm and were off the ship by 3:30. We just walked and browsed and shopped, and got back on the ship for dinner as we did not want to be out after dark (our own personal preference).

We did not go to the specialty restaurants as we found the Dining Room quite sufficient; others will tell you they are fabulous and are not to be missed - again, this is a personal decision.

You can buy any amount of alcohol you want in port, but you surrender it upon returning to the ship and it is delivered to your cabin on the last day/night before you leave. You cannot buy it in port and take it on to consume during the cruise; everything is put through their x-ray machine when you re-board, and they know you are carrying liquor.

Have a fun time!

Karen: Thank you! I don't remember when I've read a review on any topic that was so informative, detailed, and fun to read. I wish I'd read this before my first cruise; I would have been much better prepared and much less nervous. I'm going to bookmark it for next time though.

I so appreciated what you said about swimwear. I confess I always take my swimsuit, and never wear it. After what you wrote, I'm determined to screw up the courage to wear it next time!

Thank you for the great review!!!

I was about to worry about my pedicure and then I realized I am not going anywhere rocky, so whew!!!! I can get my cute color.. LOL

And thank you to all of you who were kind enough to reply to my thread. I am delighted. :)

About the pedicure, what I found was that sand and surf alone was enough to pound my pedicure. We went to Maho Beach on St.Maartin which was a little rough... this is why my tootsies took a beating. I think it was a combination of both sand and rocks, just to let you know. As soon as I came home I stripped my polish and started again. It just felt cleaner and fresher to do that, rather than try to maintain and repair. ;)

Archived