Need help fast on Skagway excursion

GMoney

Having a great time here in AK. I'll be in Skagway twice in the next 2 weeks. The first time Im doing White Pass RR & Helihike. I really need a good idea for the 2nd excursion- something active n outdoors like hiking or kayaking. Open to ideas in Haines. Any suggestions? Thanks!

I don't remember where I was in Alaska, but there was a wonderful tour on 4 wheeled motorcycles that was stupendous....probably the high point of the trip. They are easy to drive, and go anywhere...very safe. The guide took us to the most beautiful places I've ever been to.

We've been to Skagway 4 times. Went to Yukon twice (recommend the train one way and bus back) and Haines twice. The scenery in both places is wonderful. After about a 45 minute catamaraan ride down the beautiful Lynn Fjord, you arrive in Haines. We had a local offer to take us to see "bears" for $15 and we were sceptical but very surprised when we saw several bears and cubs. Also saw many eagles. The scenery (both lakes and mountains) in Haines are well worth the trip. Either a drive or float trip through the Chilkat Eagle Preserve at Haines is incredible. Many choices--all great!

We did the glacier lake kayak and white pass RR and thought it was great, if a bit chilly until we got moving and warmed up. The trip was "active" in the sense that we were paddling kayaks, but it wasn't strenuous. I think we spent about 90 minutes on the water. We rode the train to Fraser, and the lake was literally right there. We took a coach back. Since you will have already done the RR once, maybe there's kayaking a bit closer in to town.. The tour operator was "packer expeditions" and I would recommend them.

Having just read a charming book about Haines ("If you lived here, I'd know your name"), I wanted to visit, but by the time we got back from our excursion we decided we'd rather have a beer and relax. :) There's a brewpub in town that has a great spruce tip ale, as well as a good selection of guest microbrews on tap.

Just returned from sailing on the NCL Pearl last week. In Skagway we were signed up for the White Pass RR in the afternoon and had some time to kill in the morning. We did the Lower Dewey Lake hike as mentioned above. We went around the entire lake at a moderate pace and the whole thing took about 2.5 hours. It was a really nice way to spend the time... and it was free. Note that all parties should be in reasonably good shape as there are some fairly steep climbs at the start of the trail, and then coming back around the lake you'll be navigating more rocks than trail. If you like this kind of stuff - which we do - I'd highly recommend it. Be sure to pick up a trail map right at the entrance.

I was most amused by the "too cheap" bear viewing! Just this afternoon I had the same experience, here in Skagway, when a fellow kept on about what might be seen in Dyea for only twenty dollars!?!?! His wife said that she would be satisfied to just see an eagle while he could not believe that they might see a bear for that amount. Two hours and two grizzlies and twenty eagles later, I am enjoying a premium wine at the Eagles club where I belong financed by that hundred dollar tip that she insisted that the trip was worth!?! Maybe it is time for us locals to to start charging more, as she suggested!?!:cool:

Thank you all for visiting us and we will keep trying to do something special for those two percent who are bold enough to seek us out!?!? DD

We did this hike last year in the afternoon after taking the White Pass RR in the morning. Both were spectacular. The hike up to the lake is a bit strenuous, and if you do a complete circuit of the lake you'll find less trail and more rock climbing on the far side, but it's worth it. There's a ranger's office just as you get into town on the left side of the street that runs staight from the dock that will give you maps of trails in the area.

We also had a great time just hanging out on the dock watching the otters and harbor seals catching salmon. Right at the corner of the harbor by the dock is a ladder up to the creek that runs by the railroad tracks, and the salmon congregate there.

Archived