Formal Night Attire

CruisinfromNapoli

Has anyone ever seen anyone in military dress uniform on formal night?

Yes, we did! He was a Marine on leave with his wife for their honeymoon. He had on his dress uniform and I must say it was very impressive. We spoke with him & his wife at the Captain's party, everyone commented on how nice he looked!!! (He was very good looking too, I might add!!:)

Las year on the Rhaposdy (RCI) there was a fellow with some Texas military organization, a service group type organization not actual military, that wore his dress military uniform. I think that is what they are for. No problem here.

Yes, I have seen one or two on every Princess Cruise that I have been on. (To include myself.) Most are not active duty people. they are for the most part Retirees both Officers and senior NCOs. (Like me.) I did see one Air Force Sgt., who was still on active duty.

I have and wear on occassion both the US Army's Blue and White Mess Dress (Tropical climates,) which are the Army's equivalent of the civilian Tux.

I think that if a military service, has a Mess Dress uniform, it would be the best choice for a 'Black Tie,' affair like a Princess formal night. It would be IMHO, the best choice to wear, if you are authorized to wear a military uniform by that services regulations.

(Although, the US Army has regulations, to provide for individuals, without a Mess Dress uniform, who can with a few minor changes, either use a Class A or Blue Dress uniform that be brought up to the standards, for a formal wear activity.)

Soon, the Army 'Green,' Class A uniform will be phased out. The new Army Class A uniform will be the former Blue Dress uniform with some minor changes.

I have also seen people, dressed in the traditional formal Scottish kilt dress.

BTW: If you check my profile picture, you will see my wife and I on a stairway on the Princess Sapphire. I'm wearing the US Army Blue Mess Dress uniform in that picture.

On a European cruise I saw an Air Force major wearing mess dress on formal night. He was very sharp, of course.

Then the weirdest thing, two nights later he showed up at the dining room in shorts. The Maitre d' had a bit of a talk with him, and he soon returned dressed appropriately.

Of course, we know he was not flaunting the rules. It's just a good lesson to us on CC, and all the other cruise boards. We can recite dress codes as if they were our ten General Orders, but not everyone studies the rule book before they go on vacation. And there's no reason they should!

Oh what memories. I served in the Air Force Nurse Corp from 1968 to 70. I wore my "mess dress" twice. I wish I could find a picture of myself in it. It came with two skirts, one long and one shorter. The skirts were black and the jacket was white with board like shoulder attachments. What I can't remember is did we wear a hat with it? I had a dress hat and a casual hat as well as a nurses cap. Hats were big back then I guess. The dress hat had two covers, one of gray for the winter and one of white for the summer.

Thanks for all the positive comments on wearing military dress uniforms on formal night. My husband looks fantastic in his Navy Officer Mess Dress uniform, but he thinks he will be confused with the ship's crew!

Calmom, what an awesome gesture, to send a bottle of wine to the table of the military member! It is the little things like this that make us feel appreciated as a military family by our fellow Americans!

And thanks to all the veterans out there that have made a difference, preserved our freedom, and ultimately have provided the world climate in which we can all go cruising freely on the seas!

We sailed the Carnival Valor in June, on the first formal night as we were sitting in the atrium watching everyone get their photo's, the atrium became very quiet and everyone was looking off to the stairway where they take the pictures of you on the stairs. There was a mom and dad, celebrating their anniversary with their 3 sons and the sons families - all 3 men were in Marine dress uniforms. Just as the photographer was ready to shoot, there was a "loud call" from the other side of the atrium - "WAIT FOR ME!" The Youngest son came forward, dressed in full Marine uniform. Somehow this familly managed to get him aboard without Mom noticing as he had returned to the states just a few weeks before the cruise - everyone clapped! Hooted and then stood up and gave this family a standing O as the son walked over to join his family - the mom was in tears, there wasn't a dry eye in the atrium!

Thanks for all the positive comments on wearing military dress uniforms on formal night. My husband looks fantastic in his Navy Officer Mess Dress uniform, but he thinks he will be confused with the ship's crew!

Calmom, what an awesome gesture, to send a bottle of wine to the table of the military member! It is the little things like this that make us feel appreciated as a military family by our fellow Americans!

And thanks to all the veterans out there that have made a difference, preserved our freedom, and ultimately have provided the world climate in which we can all go cruising freely on the seas!

That's very possible. Just hope he's not assigned to the night watch!:p

My pleasure and my honor:)

We sailed the Carnival Valor in June, on the first formal night as we were sitting in the atrium watching everyone get their photo's, the atrium became very quiet and everyone was looking off to the stairway where they take the pictures of you on the stairs. There was a mom and dad, celebrating their anniversary with their 3 sons and the sons families - all 3 men were in Marine dress uniforms. Just as the photographer was ready to shoot, there was a "loud call" from the other side of the atrium - "WAIT FOR ME!" The Youngest son came forward, dressed in full Marine uniform. Somehow this familly managed to get him aboard without Mom noticing as he had returned to the states just a few weeks before the cruise - everyone clapped! Hooted and then stood up and gave this family a standing O as the son walked over to join his family - the mom was in tears, there wasn't a dry eye in the atrium!

I would of needed a box of Kleenex. What a very proud moment for those parents, I could not of thought a more precious Anniversary gift. It takes just a moment to thank someone for protecting your country. Whether you are for or against the war, remember, it is someone's husband, wife, son, daughter, grandchild that believes in what they do and deserves our highest respect and gratitude.

GBeret...very sharp, lots of gold on that sleeve. How many years did you serve??

A total of just over 30 years of combined Regular Army, Army Reserve, Air Force Reserve and Air National Guard service. Most service in the Army and Special Forces.

I actually, had this happen on a cruise were I was wearing the Army's White Mess uniform. (It has the white mess jacket, (With all the medals & badages.) regular black Tux pants with white Tux shirt, black bow tie and black comberbund.) which does resemble the Officers crew uniform, except for the medals, badges and in my case Master Sgt. Stripes.

A women stopped me and asked for directions on the ship. I told her sorry Mame, I'm not a Crew member. She replied: Oh! You just wanted to look important! I just shook my head and walked away.

I would encourge your husband, to wear with pride his Navy Mess Dress uniform, with all of his decorations, etc. As I recall, the Navy Mess Dress has a Gold comberbund worn with it. The officer crew members do not wear that and the rank looks a lot different on crews uniforms than US Navy rank.

Most of the time if I choose not to wear my Mess Dress uniforms, I will place all of my decorations (mini-medals & mini-badges) on my Black Tux dinner jacket, which is a perfectly acceptable practice, for all military veterans.

Be prepared as you will find that many people will ask you a lot of questions, about your uniform, medals, etc. In my case, many think I'm Navy or a crew member when in White Mess dress and in the Blue a Marine.

On that trip (Osaka to Seattle) where my profile picture was taken, there were many Japanese people on board. I think 90% of them asked to pose with me and have their picture taken by their SO. :D

A total of just over 30 years of combined Regular Army, Army Reserve, Air Force Reserve and Air National Guard service. Most service in the Army and Special Forces.

I thought so...I was trying to count the stripes in that small photo and finally gave up, but I knew it was a lot of years. Congratulations! My husband has 9 of them...retired with 27 years in the Army.

Nothing like a guy in a uniform! Marine dress blues are the best, even though I married a Navy man. :)

When we were on a Med cruise this summer, we even saw a man from Scotland dressed in his kilt w/all the trimmings, and standing next to him was his 2 yr. old son in his kilt! My heart melted when I saw that!

Archived