Cruising with kids

DG2007

My husband and I just got back from our honeymoon cruise and absolutely fell in love with cruising! Now we want to get our family together on a cruise. My sister has three kids ages 9, 11, and 14. How much would it be for each child? Are they half price fares or what? I looked on the Carnival website but I can't seem to find any info. Thanks so much!

My husband and I just got back from our honeymoon cruise and absolutely fell in love with cruising! Now we want to get our family together on a cruise. My sister has three kids ages 9, 11, and 14. How much would it be for each child? Are they half price fares or what? I looked on the Carnival website but I can't seem to find any info. Thanks so much!

They are the same price as an adult if they over 1 yo (I think that's the age). If she is cruising with another adult, they would be the price of the 3rd and 4th passengers.

First of all, Congrats on your wedding!!!!! Second of all, I will be cruising in 2009 and will be taking my kids for the first time. I checked the prices and for me and my older son (age at cruise time 14) will be regular price. My son (age at cruise time 13) and my daughter (age at cruise time 11) will be charged 3rd and 4th passenger rates. Your sister's kids are going to have a ball. I believe kids on the ships have more fun the all the adults.

The kids will have a blast cruising! As others mentioned, passenger 1 & 2 pay the higher/standard rate while the 3rd in 4th person in the same cabin regardless of age) get a discounted rate. The 3rd/4th passenger rate can vary significantly so you might want to shop around if you have options. We always sail with our 2 children (12 & 10) in the same cabin. It has never been a problem & we never feel crowded as we spend so little time in the cabin anyway. However now that DD is officially a pre-teen, she is spending quite a bit more time in front of the mirror & in the shower. On our upcoming November cruise, we might need to have assigned shower / mirror time :p

PS There might be an "infant" rate - I have no idea since I never travelled with very small children. However, there is no other discount for kids. There are military, senior & past guest rates offered.

Are there any cabins besides the suite that can fit 3 children in with you? We are looking to go on a 4 or 5 day cruise in 09 with our kids and really don't want to have to pay over $700 for each adult. Maybe it would be better to go with 2 rooms. Any Ideas? I know someone who has gone with more than 2 kids before.

I find that if you cruise during summer or holiday times, the 3rd and 4th passenger fare is very high, but if you cruise in the off-season, the 3rd and 4th are more deeply discounted.

NCL recently had a kids sail free promotion - all you had to pay was port charges and taxes.

In theory, I don't mind paying for our little one. We were given the explanation that even little ones take up space that could otherwise be occupied by another person who would probably create more revenue for the cruiseline (IOW, we were told that they have to book us in a triple). I was quite surprised upon booking our first cruise with Carnival that we aren't in a triple cabin. So, if the ship was sailing at full capacity (i.e., every bed was occupied) it would actually be over-capacity since they are putting cribs and playpens in double cabins.

The kids will have a blast cruising! As others mentioned, passenger 1 & 2 pay the higher/standard rate while the 3rd in 4th person in the same cabin regardless of age) get a discounted rate. The 3rd/4th passenger rate can vary significantly so you might want to shop around if you have options. We always sail with our 2 children (12 & 10) in the same cabin. It has never been a problem & we never feel crowded as we spend so little time in the cabin anyway. However now that DD is officially a pre-teen, she is spending quite a bit more time in front of the mirror & in the shower. On our upcoming November cruise, we might need to have assigned shower / mirror time :p

PS There might be an "infant" rate - I have no idea since I never travelled with very small children. However, there is no other discount for kids. There are military, senior & past guest rates offered.

My husband is in the Army - how much is the military discount?! That's so exciting! Could we use the discount to buy tickets for our extended family? Thanks so much.

There is no set price or discount amount, even for military.

Everything depends on the cruise itself, how full, how empty, type of discounts being offered.

No you cannot use your military discount for other family members unless Carnival offers that as a special promotion.

In theory, I don't mind paying for our little one. We were given the explanation that even little ones take up space that could otherwise be occupied by another person who would probably create more revenue for the cruiseline (IOW, we were told that they have to book us in a triple). I was quite surprised upon booking our first cruise with Carnival that we aren't in a triple cabin. So, if the ship was sailing at full capacity (i.e., every bed was occupied) it would actually be over-capacity since they are putting cribs and playpens in double cabins.

That is strange. DS goes with us and even though he could have slept on the couch or floor they wouldn't let us book anything but a triple! Especially with you paying for it, it looks like they would put you in a triple...makes you wonder doesn't it?!:cool:

There is no set price or discount amount, even for military.

Everything depends on the cruise itself, how full, how empty, type of discounts being offered.

No you cannot use your military discount for other family members unless Carnival offers that as a special promotion.

And it's not offered on every sailing.

My husband is in the Army - how much is the military discount?! That's so exciting! Could we use the discount to buy tickets for our extended family? Thanks so much.

The military discounts vary from ship to ship, sailing to sailing. You would have to contact a PVP for exact fares. Not every sailing offers military discounts, and they sell a limited number of military discounts for each sailing.

Carnival does offer "Friends and Family" discounts where you can apply your military discount to a limited number of other cabins if you all book together. Again, not every military discount has this available.

Once you decide on a cruise, call Carnival and discuss the military discounts to see what is available.

Are there any cabins besides the suite that can fit 3 children in with you? We are looking to go on a 4 or 5 day cruise in 09 with our kids and really don't want to have to pay over $700 for each adult. Maybe it would be better to go with 2 rooms. Any Ideas? I know someone who has gone with more than 2 kids before.

Actually Carnival won't allow more than 4 per cabin. Our upcoming had to be booked in two cabins. Propably for the better as we have 3 girls (ages 19, 16, 13). Poor Dad! I think I might put him in the inside so he don;t jump:eek:

Oh and we paid $409 for each 3rd and 4th person for an 8 day to the Eastern on the Valor.

Actually Carnival won't allow more than 4 per cabin. Our upcoming had to be booked in two cabins. Propably for the better as we have 3 girls (ages 19, 16, 13). Poor Dad! I think I might put him in the inside so he don;t jump:eek:

Oh and we paid $409 for each 3rd and 4th person for an 8 day to the Eastern on the Valor.

This isn't true - it just depends on which ship you're on. Many of the ships DO allow 5 per cabin. All Fantasy class ships do, and I believe the Destiny and Triumph also do.

My kids are young enough (7 and 9) to stay in our rooms. For our upcoming 8-day Liberty cruise, I think the 3rd and 4th are paying $489 each.

My brother and my sister-in-law take a balcony cabin and inside cabin directly facing them for their two kids (16 and 12) and that keeps the cost down too.

I think this is a great family vacation because during the day when we're at sea, the kids do their own thing and we do ours. Excursions are great family trips. When we did Disney/Universal/Sea World, we would have to be with the kids 24 hours a day for the week. This is more like a vacation for my wife and me. Next summer, they'll both be at overnight camp at the same time. I won't know what to do with myself for the first time in 10 years. :D

Plus if you have an infant you bring their food. I guess it is true that they aren't drinking alcohol and gambling but still. I did see though that they don't do the automated tiping for babies.....which to me is strange cause I would see small children as needing a bit of extra's like removing the trash more often and sweeping crumbs up under tables. Oh well, above my pay grade I guess.:D

Plus if you have an infant you bring their food. I guess it is true that they aren't drinking alcohol and gambling but still. I did see though that they don't do the automated tiping for babies.....which to me is strange cause I would see small children as needing a bit of extra's like removing the trash more often and sweeping crumbs up under tables. Oh well, above my pay grade I guess.:D

I was surprised about the food too (having sailed mostly on Princess, where they supply baby food). Our little one still eats out of a jar (refuses anything that Mommy cooks...her Dad must have trained her!), so we'll be picking some up when we get to San Diego.

I don't mind tipping for an infant -- I agree with you. Between the trash, and the occasional Cheerio they will find on the floor in the restaurant babies do require a bit of attention. And assuming the service and attention is all that others have raved about, we will tip accordingly.

It's our first cruise with her, and we are looking forward to it!

Archived