Please tell me that I am not the only one with this many suitcases :)

barbon2

Ok, pretty well packed for Alaska. I swore I would get everything into three cases this time, but...........:( I am into 4 again. Two large regular cases and 2 valet cases.

My DH sometimes looks out into the hall at night (before we disembark) and asks me why everyone else only has 2 cases outside their cabins.

Yikes, I forgot about the carry on!!!

So..........Am I The Only One with 4??

Barbara :)

We're leaving tomorrow. Just weighed the luggage. 47 lbs for my checked bag, 27 for my carry-on. Hubby has 42lb checked and 33lb carry-on.

I am only bringing 3 pairs of shoes. 12 days and THREE pairs of shoes. It boggles the mind:p

How do you travel with that many bags? Do you pay the airline extra fees? Or are you driving to an AK port?

It takes my wife 11-12 suitcases to pack for a 7 day cruise.... If don't believe me will put one of our packing threads on here for you to read... Ruth and Jim

If that was for seven days, what did she take on your 14/15/19 day cruises. :confused: :eek:

We rent a u haul to get her luggage to the docks as it will not all fit in the Explorer.

We have contacted some frinds in San Diego to ship out luggage before we fly there so she will have all her stuff.

I just say "YES DEAR" and pack it....

Ruth and Jim

I saw the title of this thread and immediately thought that one would be hard-pressed to beat Mr/Mrs JimV. It is one of the many reasons I want to cruise with them- just to see all their luggage.:eek:

As for me, I now have it down to one suitcase and a carry- on that attaches to it.

Jim & Ruth Packing for Volendam Dec 03 Cruise

Once again Ruth & Jim have done the impossible. Never has so much stuff been squeezed into so many suitcases and bags by so few people (Jim & Ruth) for the purpose of bringing so much of it back from the cruise unused.....

SUITCASES PACKED::doh:

6 Medium duffle bags (Slippers)

4 Large Suitcases (Ruth clothing)

1 Medium suitcase (Jim Clothing)

1 Medium suitcase (Door & Room decorations)

1 Medium suitcase (Miscellaneous)

Jim & Ruth Packing for Volendam Dec 03 Cruise

1 Laptop Computer bag

2 Garment bags

1 Very Large Cosmetic case

1 Walker

1 Wheelchair

3 Canes (1 for formal, 1 for walking, 1 for beating Jim when he complains)

Went over last night and picked up the U-Haul trailer to transport luggage to Ft Lauderdale. As yo know I always drive in the far left lane so I can see the yellow lines. At my age I need all the help I can get to stay in my lane. While returning home noticed that only had 1/2 tank of gas so I made a fast right turn (thru the two lanes to my right) into Raju's gas station. The people I drove in front of were very nice. The all waved to me and gave me the #1 sign and one even yelled something to me but I had my hearing aide turned off. It is so nice of these younger drivers to give us older drivers the right of way.

As I pulled into Raju's station I noticed him inside and wave to him. He gave me the #1 sign and sent his daughter out to help me. He always sends one of the help out to help me out after the accident a couple years ago. That was the day when I got a cell phone call while I was filling the gas tank. I got distracted and pulled out with the hose still in my tank. It ripped the hose out of the pump and the resulting fire destroyed his gas station and burned him over 80% of his body. If he had not been wearing that bed sheet he would not have been burned that bad. Cannot understand why he is still mad. My insurance company built him a new station, paid for his lost income, gave him a rather large cash settlement, and has paid for all the cosmetic surgeries required and will pay for the 8 that are scheduled.

When his daughter came out she started filling the gas tank. I noticed that she was wearing a blue bed sheet and asked her if she was going to a costume party. She didn't answer me so I told her that a blue Casper the Ghost is an unusual costume. She said it was a Burpa. I said no I have a gas problem, not a burping problem. She told me in rather frustrated broken English that it was a BURKA not a Casper costume and it appropriate attire for her. I said "whatever floats your boat" and told her that genes and a blouse would be a lot more comfortable and she may get a boyfriend if they could see your face. She got angry and stomped back into the office. Makes we wonder if the Burka is hiding something ugly as no person in their right mind would wear a bed sheet to work.

Got home and backed the trailer into the driveway.

This morning Al (neighbor) and my son Jimmy helped me pack for the cruise. They both take off work to help us pack as they say they would not miss this for the world.. Couple of neighbors came over with lawn chairs to cheer us on as we packed. It took us 2 hours to pack and everyone had a good time and 1/2 case of Budweiser.

SLIPPERS:

JIM: Peppy Le Pew, Red dog, St Bernard, Shippers, Rabbit, Daffy Duck, Tweety, Dalmatian, Dog with hat, Teddy bear, Penguin, Eagle, Triceratops, Ostridge, and several other pairs I have no name for.

RUTH: Black cat, Eor, Duck with hat, Shippers, Tigger, Tasmanian devil, Tweety, Dalmatian, St Bernard, plus several others that we have no names for.

MISC: Several pairs for presents and some of the crew and couple people in our group.

CATS ARE TAKEN CARE OF:

50 lbs of cat litter on the back porch

40 cans of cat food

2 bags of dry cat food

10 jars of treats

Doris will come over each day and take care of the cats for us. She pacifies them so they don't tear up the house.

BIRDS

Cage cleaned, feathers fluffed, food and treats in stock, couple new toys to occupy their time.

All the animals know that something is up. Ever since we got the suitcases out the cats have been using them for sleeping mats and telling us that this is the one that they want to be packed into for the cruise.

CHILDREN NOTIFIED

We always notify the kids as they are paying for the vacation. We take the money for the cruise out of their Trust Funds and then send them a full accounting when we get back from the cruise. Mary's usual comment is "How much did this one cost me???????". I tell her that the monies is not theirs until we are planted and that she needs to DEAL WITH IT..

MEDICATIONS PACKED:

All prescription medication in original bottles

Jim got his Testosterone and Iron shots yesterday

Antacids (for Ruth's shopping trips)

Aspirin (for the headaches she causes)

Lomotil

Gas X (4 cases)

Phenergan

Viagara (for Jim)

Valium (to calm Jim after Ruth's shopping trips)

Depends (4 cases)

White Vinegar (2 1 gallon bottles)

Air Fresheners (2 cases industrial strength quart size units)

CAMERA SUPPLIES

Digital camera and cords to download to laptop

LAPTOP COMPUTER

Computer

3 new games

Extra blank disks

Printer with paper and picture paper

DOOR DECORATIONS

Pictures

Hangers

Trimming

Duct Tape

FINANCIAL

Check book

Credit Cards

Cash

Phone numbers to make bank transfers

Take away Ruth's credit cards

ELECTRICAL EQUIPMENT:

Grade 4 Solar Generator with 12 Solar Panels that can store enough electricity to run 3 hair dryers, 2 curling irons, 1 computer, radio, 2 makeup mirrors, and other electrical equipment for 6 hours.

MISCELLANEOUS:

Ruth Bear Pillow

Cow Pillow

RUTH WANTS BUT I WILL NOT ALLOW:

Christmas tree for cabin

Her 3 wheel bicycle

Got it all packed and I thank god that all I have to do is get it to the dock and they do all the moving from there. Think we did a good job packing everything we will need for the 11 day cruise.

Our motto is "WHEN IN DOUBT - PACK IT.":hail:

My Motto is "YES DEAR":kiss:

Jim & Ruth:faint: :faint:

Enjoy the thread

Ruth and Jim

I don't think everything in my closet would take up 12 suitcases. I limit myself to one checked bag and one small carryon no matter where I go or for how long. Stick to about three pairs of black pants, casual and dressy tops, and a jacket. Lighten your load.

Pink

In 2003 when we cruised around Australia, the trip ended in Singapore. When we checked our bags in Singapore I had to pay between $80 and $100 in overweight baggage. My SO can travel the world with just one bag and he always has whatever is needed.

I would have preferred to spend that money on fun stuff -- so on our next trip I really cut down and I got along just fine. Our next cruise is in April and the ship leave from Kobe/Osaka Japan, so again, for a long international trip I will plan to take the basics and a few formal items.

Happy and safe cruising to all.

For our past 7 or 10 day cruises we've always gotten by with one checked bag and one carry-on each, but this time we're going to do a 4-day land tour before the cruise and are probably going to need a 3rd bag. Maybe not, though! :D

DH gives me such a hard time when I pack! I can cram everything into one suitcase (plus a carry-on, and a garment bag that we share) for a 7 night cruise, but my one suitcase weighs a TON because I probably have 10 pairs of shoes!!:eek: On a 10/11 night -- watch out! We usually have one large suitcase each, one large suitcase that we share, a garment bag, and a carry-on each. But I'm getting nervous about our upcomig Noordam cruise, and think I need to get ANOTHER garment bag! Thank goodness we're not flying!!:rolleyes:

Not sure, but we may have the record for the most bags. The most we ever took was 14 bags for 2 passangers for 10 days. We drove to the port in San Diego and stayed at the Holiday Inn across the street. When the porter unpacked our SUV he said to my DH "How many in your party? My DH replied, just 2". Porter replied, "Your wife sure has a lot of bags." My DH replied, "No they are mostly mine." :) True story. I made of list of all the bag types and the colors and it was a good thing because when we returned, one of my bags was missing. I finally found it in another section of the cruise terminal. :eek: Now we are down to 10 bags total for our last 10 day cruise.

Next cruise is 15 days so who knows, we may be back up to 14 again. :) Good thing we don't have to fly. :rolleyes:

Add me to the Jim and Ruth fan club. What a great packing list. I spoke with a friend last week who was taking his first cruise in about 25 years. His wife had done all the packing and he got to do all the schlepping. For the two of them: 4 large suitcases, 2 garment bags, 2 roll aboard suitcases, 2 shoulder totes for 7 days. He thought that seemed pretty normal until I told him that I was trying to get everything into a roll aboard and a shoulder tote for my 7 days. His wife won't speak to me now. :rolleyes:

We have it down now to one large bag, one duffel roller (checked) and my large suit carrier bag. One tote and the knapsack. It took 20 twenty years but thats where we are now. Elimination of semiformal dress code has helped a lot.

Archived