Please tell me that I am not the only one with this many suitcases :)

barbon2

Count us in the list of the more we cruise the less we pack.We purchased new luggage a few months ago although we probably should not have bought the large suit cases but we did. They are ultra light weight and actually worked very well for Alaska. The next cruise in 10 days:D We will just take the 2 large suit cases and 1 carry on bag. Last time we were way under the weight limit to my surprise and with this new luggage we had plenty of room despite the fact that coats and warmer clothes take up far more room.

Not sure, but we may have the record for the most bags. The most we ever took was 14 bags for 2 passangers for 10 days. DH replied, "No they are mostly mine." :) True story.

Next cruise is 15 days so who knows, we may be back up to 14 again. :) Good thing we don't have to fly. :rolleyes:

You win.

What in the world does your DH put into those bags?

on all previous cruises we've had 2-29", 1-26", 1-rolling garmet bag and our carry ons. As previously stated with the decrease in weight limits for flying one bag per person is difficult. However, we're getting ready to do a land-based trip to Europe and are restricted to 1-50# bag each plus carry on. It looks like we're going to be able to do this with no problem, and it gives me hope for cutting back on future cruises...

You win.

What in the world does your DH put into those bags?

Suits and sport coats along with many, many shirts. He likes to change clothes about 3 times a day. ;) Maybe now with the informal nights eliminated we can pack less. :)

I am going on the 25 day LA to NZ on the Statendam, sailing Sept 26. While I am super excited, I have not even let my mind wander to the subject of packing. I have, in the past, taken 2 large, heavy suitcases to a 7 day trip to the Carribean! I can't even imagine what I'm going to do for this cruise! To make things worse (can I really say that when I'm heading on such a long, glorious wonderful cruise?!) I'm getting married in Las Vegas just before so I'll need to bring to Vegas all my wedding stuff plus all my cruise stuff! :eek: I don't know what I'm going to do! When I do shortly consider this dilemma, I envision one large suitcase just full of shoes! What's a girl to do? There are SIX formal nights on this cruise! How many different ways can one wear a black dress? Think my wedding dress might work for a formal night or two?!

What's a girl to do? There are SIX formal nights on this cruise! How many different ways can one wear a black dress? Think my wedding dress might work for a formal night or two?!

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding!

I think if your wedding dress/gown is a sheath, close to the body, scaled down version, (no train, etc.) it may work for a formal night.

I would take the lbd plus black silk pants and skirt and switch them up with different tops. You're certainly not going to want to wear the lbd for 5 formal nights, I wouldn't think. Or, forget the lbd (I'm assuming it's an lbd) and just do the silk, crepe, whatever bottoms. Don't stress, it will all work out. ;)

one of these days we DO need to cruise together. Sadly it doesn't look like the yum yum trip will work for us... BUT... if you are comfortable emailing your address to me at tohoku at cablespeed dot com in the usual format I'll see to it that you have a couple of monkeys of your very own to take on that trip.

I 'm confident that properly equipped with said critters , you'd spread the same joie de vivre throughout the sailing that we would.

In the meantime, the 4 of us and the monkeys and chickens are off to spread havoc at our godson's wedding on a Disney cruise in October.

I so enjoyed reading Jim and Ruth's packing list. Now maybe my SO will not critize the amount of luggage we bring.

Jim, we boarded right behind you several years ago. I just don't remember which cruise it was, but it would have been in Jan or Apr 2003 on the Zaandam or April 2004 on the Maasdam. I remember the slippers and after a couple long hikes in port and very sore feet, I thought that you had a great idea! Next cruise you can look for my slippers to take up some extra room in my luggage.

Hopefully we will be on a ship again one day and get a chance to meet.

one of these days we DO need to cruise together. Sadly it doesn't look like the yum yum trip will work for us... BUT... if you are comfortable emailing your address to me at tohoku at cablespeed dot com in the usual format I'll see to it that you have a couple of monkeys of your very own to take on that trip.

I 'm confident that properly equipped with said critters , you'd spread the same joie de vivre throughout the sailing that we would.

In the meantime, the 4 of us and the monkeys and chickens are off to spread havoc at our godson's wedding on a Disney cruise in October.

Will do, sir.

I am down to one 21 inch roller-the largest size for carry on plus one backpack. DW is down to a slightly larger one that she checks and a carry on. Does not matter if we go for a week or for three weeks (as we did when we went on a tour of Spain in June).

Not joking, it takes that many suitcases to go on a cruise. Have pictures of the SUV with suitcases on the roof. Remember one trip that coming home had to go by a hardware store to but rope to tie the stuff down in back of the pickup truck.

I do take a few liberties in the packing thread though.

I am retired military and do not practice to be miserable anymore. I do not have to handle the bags sp why should I worry about the number of them.

Ruth & Jim

Not joking, it takes that many suitcases to go on a cruise. Have pictures of the SUV with suitcases on the roof. Remember one trip that coming home had to go by a hardware store to but rope to tie the stuff down in back of the pickup truck.

I am retired military and do not practice to be miserable anymore. I do not have to handle the bags sp why should I worry about the number of them.

Ruth & Jim

Jim, I thought military could only have 1 duffel bag. And that lasted for months at a time. What happened to you???:D :D

For my first cruise - a 7-day Gay Charter - I took 5 bags.

I was in a panic the morning that we were flying from SFO to FLL as I couldn't manage to get all everything I needed into 2 check ons, 1 carry on and a briefcase - had to call my travel pal, Joe, and ask how many he was taking - fortunately, he was taking only 3 so I didn't have to pay the excess baggage fee to the airline...

...after the cruise, he returned to CA before me, so I had him take one of my bags back to CA while I continued traveling for another week to visit family in FL.

Since then, I've been able to stay in the 4 bag range...

So what did I do just this week?

I bought another, larger Tumi rolling bag for my upcoming Volendam cruise.

:D

Hopefully I can stay below 50 lbs per bag, or I'll be paying UAL $$$...

:cool:

Ruth & Jim

Ok, but I'm gonna let my Dh know. He thinks we overpack for 10 days with 4 plus two small packpacks. One of the 4 gets rolled on the plane - camera Equipment including 35mm film which I still use, portable DVD and films (which I was glad I took this summer because the player at my seat was broken on US airways), meds, slippers (those $3 chinese shoes), etc.

I'd love it if you posted a pic of the SUV with the luggage!

Also, I looked at the packing list. Why does one need 3 hair dryers?

Compared to some people on this thread, I pack "light."

2 large checked bags with wheels

1 carryon with wheels

1 tote which has velcro and sits on top of the carron

I recently purchased lavendar suitcases. They are much easier to spot then my black set of suitcase. I still put bright strips of colorful cloth on each suitcase.

Each time I fly, I see more lavendar suitcases.

Sue

Check the pictures we have on the site.

If not there email me and will did up a couple pictures and email them to you.

Going isn't bad. SHould of seen us the cruise to Mexico when we purchased 50 mexican blankets and had 10 boxes packed with them in addition to everything else....

Took two porters at the dock

Ruth & Jim

Archived