Pre paid tipping question

mountaingurl

Please lets not let this come to a disagreement. I just want honest opinions, no moral feelings or anything. PLEASE. Though I want to tip in cash, hubby wants to pre-pay tips so it will be one less thing to do. I see both sides, and to be honest I just want good service and nothing else matters. For the one's who have pre-paid tips, have you noticed any difference in service. Recently I have read a few reviews where it says people tipped in advance and did not get good service. I just want to know from the ones who have pre paid whether they felt like they still got the same good service as before. I will still bring a little money to tip extra like I would have anyway. It's hard to imagine getting any better service than we did on our first cruise. Our steward was always around if we needed anything. He was so polite and nice. We tipped him more than anyone on the cruise. He was amazing. I keep the room neat anyway, so other than replacing wet towels and emptying the trash can, there should not be much for the steward to do this cruise. (I had no idea that they came in your room twice a day on the 1st cruise. We were rushing getting ready for formal night and left our wet sandy swimsuits just lying on the floor with the towels. We only had 45 minutes for all 4 of us to get ready and showered! I felt horrible) Thanks for anyone who takes time to view this post and reply.

I thought you asked this question before?

Anyhoo - shouldn't be any disagreement. You can prepay your tips before the cruise, and then tip a little extra at the end of the cruise if you want to.:) The stewards, as well as waiters in the dining room know you have prepaid. They get a list.

I don't recall you asking this question before. The OP is asking for the experience of cruisers who have pre-paid their tips. See wants to know if they feel the service from the steward was sub-par due to tips being pre-paid. Our service was great and we had auto-tips.

I personally did not like the whole prepaid tipping thing. I felt that it took away the entire personal aspect of it. I also felt that service did suffer as a result. Having just returned from our cruise, I can say we received good service all around. However, nothing "exceeded" my expectations. I feel that the prepaid tipping is the direct reason for this - there was absolutely no incentive for the stewards or wait staff to go above and beyond. They knew they were getting a set minimum amount. How much more above that could they reasonably expect if they do an exceptional job?

Sure - you could remove the prepaid tipping, but then they are all notified, there'd be tension whether intended or not, and I think service would suffer even more - they'd be thinking "great, they're going to stiff me".

On past cruises, we have received exceptional service and tipped appropriately. I understand the reason that Carnival instituted the prepaid tipping, but, I don't like it, and my attitude just degenerated to "ok - they can do it their way". I didn't see any reason to tip above the prepaid amounts they took as a result.

Howard

Mountain: I have done it both ways and have had great service either way.

I personally like to tip at the end of the cruise in person and thank the individual for their help in making our trip enjoyable.

The problem when removing tips, is that the cabin attendants and the servers then must turn in their cash tips into the pool for everyone to share. If you leave the tips in place and tip extra, then they get to keep the tips.

Some believe that this pre-tip thing will bring down the level of service. In my opinion, if the service goes down, make sure you document the name of the employee as well as area they work and country of origin in the comment card (yes, they do read all the comment cards and I do not work for the cruise industry) and corrective action will be taken by the staff.

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/Gratuities_Tips.aspx

What is the tipping policy onboard?spacer.gifService Gratuities

For your convenience, we automatically charge the gratuities for dining and stateroom staff to your onboard Sail & Sign account. The total amount is $10.00 per guest, per day (our recommended guideline) as follows:

$ 3.50 Per Day Stateroom Services

$ 5.50 Per Day Dining Room Services

$ 1.00 Per Day Alternative Services: distributed to other kitchen and hotel service staff

For Cruises-To-Nowhere, gratuities of $10 per guest, per day must be prepaid.

Our Staff is totally committed to exceed your expectations in every way possible. If you are not satisfied with the service you receive, we encourage you to contact the Purser’s Information desk while onboard. This will allow us to address your concerns in a timely and appropriate fashion. At your discretion, you may adjust the gratuities at any time.

For beverage purchases, fifteen percent of the bill is automatically added to the Sail & Sign charge. Room Service staff may be tipped as service is rendered. Tipping your Maître d’ is at your discretion, based upon the service you receive.

The only possible way to judge this would be to cruise the same ship at the same time with the same steward using both payment types.

Anything else would be pure speculation or anecdotal evidence.

Somebody could pre-pay one cruise and not the next and get better or (worse) service or vice-versa. If it isn't the same steward, the experience is irrelevant to the discussion.

The problem when removing tips, is that the cabin attendants and the servers then must turn in their cash tips into the pool for everyone to share. If you leave the tips in place and tip extra, then they get to keep the tips.

quote]

Where did you get that info? Not what someones Sisters brothers husbands mothers cousin stated,but the facts to back that statement up?

If it isn't the same steward, the experience is irrelevant to the discussion.

Considering that what was asked for was "honest opinions", the experience is entirely relevant to the discussion. A proof that tipping before/after affected the level of service is not what was sought.

I understand exactly what you are saying from the theoretical vs. let's go and prove something. However, whether on the same or different cruiseline, same or different stewards, everyone has a perception of the level of service they receive versus when the tip was given. I have my belief, whether it is right or wrong is debatable. What is not debatable is that I did not like the prepaid tipping whatsoever, I felt that there was little incentive to do an exceptional job, and I felt that the entire personal aspect of tipping was eliminated.

mountaingurl asked for honest opinions and that's what she's getting.

Howard

Sure - you could remove the prepaid tipping, but then they are all notified, there'd be tension whether intended or not,

The staff does not receive the list of those who have the tips added to or taken off the S&S card until after the cruise is over as to not impact the service standards.

So Pre paying tips, adding to your S&S card or paying cash at the end of the cruise should not effect the service you receive.

Considering that what was asked for was "honest opinions", the experience is entirely relevant to the discussion. A proof that tipping before/after affected the level of service is not what was sought.

I understand exactly what you are saying from the theoretical vs. let's go and prove something. However, whether on the same or different cruiseline, same or different stewards, everyone has a perception of the level of service they receive versus when the tip was given. I have my belief, whether it is right or wrong is debatable. What is not debatable is that I did not like the prepaid tipping whatsoever, I felt that there was little incentive to do an exceptional job, and I felt that the entire personal aspect of tipping was eliminated.

mountaingurl asked for honest opinions and that's what she's getting.

Howard

Once again, what you feel is irrelevant, it is what the Stewards feel and whether it effects their job performance.

If Stewart the steward is ambivalent to how the tips are delivered it will have no effect.

WHATEVER DON!

What is it about honest opinion that you don't understand? What I feel about my experience is ALL that matters in answering the original post - nothing else.

Do some people post simply to be an instigator? Do you have anything of substance to answer mountaingurl's question or are you posting just to tell everyone that they are not qualified to post a response?

Jeez!

Howard

We started cruising before the pre-paids started. There was only once or twice - in the very beginning of pre-pay - when we thought the service was not as good as before. Since then..and perhaps because more people are giving extra at the end of the cruise...service has been back up where it was before.

We did ask our waiter one time how he felt about the pre-paid tips. It actually caused a decrease in the amount of money he was making. When the people had to bring their tips on the last night they usually brought more than the suggested amount...now most people don't give extra.

We've also had the oportunity to experience a couple of people where our week was their last week. One did what he could get by with...the other went way out of his way to make our time enjoyable. We've also had brand new help. I realize they start out elsewhere...but sometimes when it's their first week - especially in the main dining room - they are a bit slow and get flustered easily. It was fun tipping her extra because she was so surprised.

WHATEVER DON!

What is it about honest opinion that you don't understand? What I feel about my experience is ALL that matters in answering the original post - nothing else.

Do some people post simply to be an instigator? Do you have anything of substance to answer mountaingurl's question or are you posting just to tell everyone that they are not qualified to post a response?

Jeez!

Howard

The OPs question was about level of service, nothing else.

Sorry Mountaingurl, but here we go...... No where has this ever been officially confirmed by anyone. This is posted as fact when it is merely speculation. An article that was written on another site claimed to have contacted the cruiselines for their policy regarding this and Carnival stated they get to keep all cash.

Direct Tipping
clearpixel.gif

Question:

When a guest gives cash directly to a crew member, is that person required to report that they have received the money, including how much they got and from whom?

Carnival: No. Shipboard employees can keep all cash gratuities without reporting it.

Celebrity: No, our shipboard colleagues are not required to report that they've received it, nor how much.

Holland America: If a guest asks that the amount on the folio be removed so tipping can be done directly, the steward, waiters, etc. are required to report that amount for pooled tips (but most guests keep tips on the bill).

NCL: No.

Royal Caribbean: No.

http://www.cruisemates.com/search/index.cfm

Question when you say do prepay and pay extra so they don't have to turn cash in do you mean give them cash personally or add extra to the S&S account:o

I meant to give them an extra 20 or something at the end of the cruise in cash with a thank-you card.

Tipping in cash is purely a conceit by the tipper. It causes a host of problems for the worker. The auto-tip procedure came into being because so many "Tip in cash" types were NOT tipping at all. The dining rooms of ALL cruise lines were becoming less than half full on the final dinner nights. This IS NOT a Carnival only situation. Now it is common among cruise lines to have some form of auto-tipping. It HAD to be.

Pre-Paid tips are paid with final cruise fare payment, auto-tips are automatically added to the S&S account on the first day. Some complain that since the workers know they will get the recommended amount that service suffers and others complain that tipping should not happen in advance. Both are misstatements.

1. The workers don't KNOW what they're getting since auto-tips can be removed up to and including the last day. And 2. that automatically means that NOBODY tipped in advance. The tip can be removed as previously stated AND it is not charged to our credit cards until the cruise has ended. So there WAS no advance tipping.

Some cruise lines definitely pool all tips, Princess for one clearly states this in their policy. Carnival says the tips go to your specific servers except for the bistro amount, which is pooled. Many, many many have reported that Carnival's policy is that when auto-tips remain in place, cash over-tips are kept by the worker receiving it. However, when auto-tips are removed, ALL cash received must be turned in to the pool.

Cash tips, if kept or not, are problematic. How does the worker get the money home with his very limited free time? How does he/she provide security for the cash while on board. How does he/she protect the cash from themselves? Auto-tips are not tempting and can be direct deposited to their home account.

MOST workers, when questioned about auto-tips say they prefer it to the old way. One's own ego is the ONLY reason to want to tip in cash.

Dan

Thanks for everyones replies. I know it is easier to just have them paid before we leave, but I haven't made up my mind yet. Guess I don't adapt so great to change, and I really liked the way it was done before. Maybe our steward was just awesome, or maybe he worked hard cuz he wanted to earn a good tip. Either way it was an amazing cruise with better service than I hoped for, at least by him. I really have no reason to expect that I will get anything less than good service, so I will just expect that everything will be great:). Also,we have two rooms across from each other. Should we end up with the same room attendant? Again, thanks for everyone giving me their opinions. I appreciate everyone's viewpoint!

No, I don't think I have asked this question. I responded about tipping in cash only, at least that is what i think. I have never considered pre-paying tips before I cruised until hubby mentioned it last week. He is wanting to pay them off right now.

Pay the tips now, and if you find someone that you want to give a bit more when your trip is over you can do so. There are a lot of things that you and your DH could be disagreeing over, this should not be one of them. If you take off those tips at the end of your cruise, you are going to look mighty bad IMO. They will think, that you do not want to pay them anything, that is how you will come across. They do not know that you will pay them cash, they will only see that you have taken off the tips. Do yourself a favor and pay them now, or at the very least put them on your S&S card.

Archived