Pre paid tipping question

mountaingurl

Thanks for everyones replies. I know it is easier to just have them paid before we leave, but I haven't made up my mind yet. Guess I don't adapt so great to change, and I really liked the way it was done before. Maybe our steward was just awesome, or maybe he worked hard cuz he wanted to earn a good tip. Either way it was an amazing cruise with better service than I hoped for, at least by him. I really have no reason to expect that I will get anything less than good service, so I will just expect that everything will be great:). Also,we have two rooms across from each other. Should we end up with the same room attendant? Again, thanks for everyone giving me their opinions. I appreciate everyone's viewpoint!

Remember it is not only your room steward that gets the tip.. it is split between many.. I myself do not goto the dining room everynight but we still leave the tip on.. there are many in the background that receive apart of your tip removing it to me is not right.. again you asked for opinions and that is JMO:)

If tips are pre-paid on the account, do you get envelopes with slips on your last night to give out to the stewart, waiters, etc (similar to RCL)?

No, you do not get "slips". They know they have been paid. If you want to give something extra, just slip them what you want.

If tips are pre-paid on the account, do you get envelopes with slips on your last night to give out to the stewart, waiters, etc (similar to RCL)?

No, that's RCl's shtick. and its meaningless on RCL. They get the tip as long as its left on the account. The "Vouchers" mean nothing.

Dan

Only for the MaitreD - who is not included with the prepaid. They give you an envelope to put the cash in. Carnival's reason (as indicated by cruise director Brent at the debarkation talk) - they went to Amex (or some other renowned agency) to determine what the proper level of tipping would be for the prepaid, they didn't have a suggested amount for the MaitreD.

Howard

The problem when removing tips, is that the cabin attendants and the servers then must turn in their cash tips into the pool for everyone to share. If you leave the tips in place and tip extra, then they get to keep the tips.

quote]

Where did you get that info? Not what someones Sisters brothers husbands mothers cousin stated,but the facts to back that statement up?

I have personally seen this with the wait staff. You turn in the tip at the end of the cruise. The waiter will write your cabin number and turn in the envelope to the Maitre'D. In turn, the Maitre'D will check on a print out whether that cabin # left the auto tips in place or canceled them. If the auto tips were canceled, then the Maitre'D will keep the envelope. If the tips were left in place, then the Maitre'D will return the envelope to the waiter.

I have personally seen this with the wait staff. You turn in the tip at the end of the cruise. The waiter will write your cabin number and turn in the envelope to the Maitre'D. In turn, the Maitre'D will check on a print out whether that cabin # left the auto tips in place or canceled them. If the auto tips were canceled, then the Maitre'D will keep the envelope. If the tips were left in place, then the Maitre'D will return the envelope to the waiter.

You figured all that out by watching:confused: Unless you were right in on their conversation I would have to say this is all an assumption:rolleyes:

You figured all that out by watching:confused: Unless you were right in on their conversation I would have to say this is all an assumption:rolleyes:

Quote:

Originally Posted by cruisecruisecruise1234567 viewpost.gif

Thats not my quote..thats some copy and paste going on there

We have had experience with cash tipping at the end of our cruise (before auto tipping began), having tips automatically added to our sail and sign account, AND pre-paying the gratuities before our cruise. We have noticed NO difference in service whatsoever.

In fact, last year I went on two cruise in 2 weeks - we prepaid the tips for the first cruise and put the tips on the sail and sign account the second cruise. Both trips were fabulous with top notch service from stewards and dining room staff.

They will think, that you do not want to pay them anything, that is how you will come across. They do not know that you will pay them cash, they will only see that you have taken off the tips. Do yourself a favor and pay them now, or at the very least put them on your S&S card.

NO, they will not see the tips have been taken off, they do not receive that information on Carnival until after the cruise is over so the service will not be interupted in any way.

Now, RCCL does receive a list before the cruise is over so they do know.

NO, they will not see the tips have been taken off, they do not receive that information on Carnival until after the cruise is over so the service will not be interupted in any way.

Now, RCCL does receive a list before the cruise is over so they do know.

According to a recent thread on here....it is the cabin steward who delivers your final bill.

The poster said she was rudely awaken by the steward early on debarkation day and he handed over her bill (which was folded over where the tips were removed)

So I'm assuming here that the cabin steward knows before you leave.

We prepaid just because we did not want it to go on our S&S acct. The service was great all the way around and my cabin steward got extra and the wait staff will be getting a framed pix of them and my DD before this month ends. I would prepay again just to avoid the hassle. I do not like the 15% automatically being added in to a drink order ( that is a whole other pet peeve). Happy cruising:)

I do not like the 15% automatically being added in to a drink order ( that is a whole other pet peeve). Happy cruising:)

I really like that b/c it takes the guesswork out of tipping, AND it ends up being less money than what we would normally tip if we were paying cash at a bar. We normally tip $1 per drink, so 15% saves us money.

I really like that b/c it takes the guesswork out of tipping, AND it ends up being less money than what we would normally tip if we were paying cash at a bar. We normally tip $1 per drink, so 15% saves us money.

Also it's great cause you don't have to carry money with you.....

According to a recent thread on here....it is the cabin steward who delivers your final bill.

The poster said she was rudely awaken by the steward early on debarkation day and he handed over her bill (which was folded over where the tips were removed)

So I'm assuming here that the cabin steward knows before you leave.

Kurban, you have cruised enough to know that the bill is not handed to you by the Steward, it is either put in your mail box or slipped under your door. Have you honestly ever had the Steward hand you your bill personally? I haven't but it could be that some people have.

I'm not arguing, Just having a friendly debate on the most debatable suject on CC.

I always keep the tips on the S&S card, just trying to figure out why everyone is supposedly getting all kinds of different information.

Kurban, you have cruised enough to know that the bill is not handed to you by the Steward, it is either put in your mail box or slipped under your door. Have you honestly ever had the Steward hand you your bill personally? I haven't but it could be that some people have.

Yes that is why the poster started the thread. It is normally slipped under your door. But because this poster took the tips off the s&s... evidently the steward saw that on the bill was alittle peeved and knocked on their door and woke them up and handed it to them, he also told them they did not need their "do not disturb" sign on their door the last morning.

This was a huge thread about a week ago. You must have missed it.

The poster took the tip off and was going to have her kids give him the tip plus more in person the morning of debarkation. But the steward assumed he was getting stiffed. And had a attitude about it.

ok, now I am really confused. If I choose to not "pre-pay" my tips, can I just give cash as I go or is automatically applied to my S&S account and I pay at the end.

Thanks!

If you don't pre-pay them, it goes onto your sail and sign account automatically. And that's SO much easier than cash. If you want to tip someone extra, you can give them the extra in cash OR add it to your sail and sign account.

Archived