Pre paid tipping question

mountaingurl

This was a huge thread about a week ago. You must have missed it.

The poster took the tip off and was going to have her kids give him the tip plus more in person the morning of debarkation. But the steward assumed he was getting stiffed. And had a attitude about it.

And if he did have an attitude with them, I can't say I blame him. If I busted my butt to provide good service to a family of 4 and found out the last night that they removed 50% of my tip, I'd be more than a bit peeved. I'm not sure if how rude he actually was to them, or if it was just a language barrier type situation - but if he did get a little huffy with them, IMO he had every reason to do so.

DH and I had a long talk about this situation after that thread, and I think that Carnival should make it more difficult to remove the automativ gratuities. If you want to reduce or eliminate the tips, then obviously there is a problem with the level of service you are receiving. You should have to file some sort of complaint with the supervisor of the person in question, to give them a chance to make it right. If the situation is not resolved to your satisfaction, at that point you should be able to adjust the tips to that person. Then there would be a "paper trail" of service complaints, and resulting removal of tips, for that staff member. This would allow Carnival to address service issues immediately, AND it would reduce the number of people who want to remove the tips so they can give cash, or just because they're cheap and want to get out of paying up for the service they've received.

One final comment - I don't get WHY people feel the need to complicate the tipping situation like this. Why must you pay in cash? Because it makes you feel warm and fuzzy inside? Goodness, just leave the auto-tips in place and tip extra cash to those you feel deserve extra. The cruiselines are doing this because it makes sense, it's efficient, and it makes life easier for the passenger.

And if he did have an attitude with them, I can't say I blame him. If I busted my butt to provide good service to a family of 4 and found out the last night that they removed 50% of my tip, I'd be more than a bit peeved. I'm not sure if how rude he actually was to them, or if it was just a language barrier type situation - but if he did get a little huffy with them, IMO he had every reason to do so.

This is not to start a war about tipping. I used that senario as to show that at least the cabin stewards know before you get off the ship whether you removed or adjusted your tips. Some and myself included had always... I guess assumed that none of the crew members knew that info until after the sailing.

Do the workers know or not know who has removed the auto-tips? Some say they do not. its not Carnival's policy to tell the workers that info. But those that say that have no proof. It is logical, but no proof.

Those that say the workers do know, have no proof either.

Not that it matters.

Many of you work in offices. Offices have policies and they have secrets. How many know of policies that are flaunted or ignored, how many know secrets that you're not supposed to know?

I think we would all be very naive to think that the crew on a ship, especially the experienced ones, living in a very closed and small society, do not know ways to find out just about anything they want to know. But I have no proof of that, just 6 + decades on the planet to learn that things are not always as stated.

Dan

Re the OP's original question - we have had auto tip, envelope and even accidentally on our last cruise, pre-pay. I don't think the method of tipping has made a scrap of difference to the level of service, it depends on the steward him or herself and how they go about their job.

I don't recall any of our cabin attendants being less than first-rate however.

Do the workers know or not know who has removed the auto-tips? Some say they do not. its not Carnival's policy to tell the workers that info. But those that say that have no proof. It is logical, but no proof.

Those that say the workers do know, have no proof either.

How much more proof do people need then a posted artical that tells how the tipping system works on all the cruise lines.

It has been posted here a million times.

I have personally seen this with the wait staff. You turn in the tip at the end of the cruise. The waiter will write your cabin number and turn in the envelope to the Maitre'D. In turn, the Maitre'D will check on a print out whether that cabin # left the auto tips in place or canceled them. If the auto tips were canceled, then the Maitre'D will keep the envelope. If the tips were left in place, then the Maitre'D will return the envelope to the waiter.

On which Carnival ship did you witness this?? Shocking you are the first one to post this. Considering other posters on here have asked their waiter, steward etc... what size bra or underwear they wear :eek: surprisingly no one has asked about that.

How much more proof do people need then a posted artical that tells how the tipping system works on all the cruise lines.

It has been posted here a million times.

Having had my own newspaper column, I can tell you that MORE than half the articles you read are crap. Sometimes the reporters don't even recognize the final, massively edited, story. Sometimes the reporters are pushing their own agenda. Sometimes they're confirming their own preconceived, and erroneous, notions. And sometimes they write an accurate story that gets a light editing touch and is all good. But without full knowledge there is no way to tell the difference.

Did you bother to read the second half of my posting after,

NOT THAT IT MATTERS ANYWAY, ?

Count on it, they know! regardless what the policy is, the REALITY is, they KNOW..

Dan

DH and I had a long talk about this situation after that thread, and I think that Carnival should make it more difficult to remove the automativ gratuities. If you want to reduce or eliminate the tips, then obviously there is a problem with the level of service you are receiving. You should have to file some sort of complaint with the supervisor of the person in question, to give them a chance to make it right. If the situation is not resolved to your satisfaction, at that point you should be able to adjust the tips to that person. Then there would be a "paper trail" of service complaints, and resulting removal of tips, for that staff member. This would allow Carnival to address service issues immediately, AND it would reduce the number of people who want to remove the tips so they can give cash, or just because they're cheap and want to get out of paying up for the service they've received.

One final comment - I don't get WHY people feel the need to complicate the tipping situation like this. Why must you pay in cash? Because it makes you feel warm and fuzzy inside? Goodness, just leave the auto-tips in place and tip extra cash to those you feel deserve extra. The cruiselines are doing this because it makes sense, it's efficient, and it makes life easier for the passenger.

This reminds me of what a former member of CC used to say all the time...Include the tips in the fare. Does make sense doesn't it?

Why are the cruiselines trying to complicate it?Why the dance?I really can't think of a reason why not to include them that way they are all guaranteed their pay. The argument that service will decrease, I doubt as their supervisors could easily rectify any issue you might have.

Isn't the bottom line that they get paid?

nothing "exceeded" my expectations. I feel that the prepaid tipping is the direct reason for this - there was absolutely no incentive for the stewards or wait staff to go above and beyond. They knew they were getting a set minimum amount. How much more above that could they reasonably expect if they do an exceptional job?

Howard

In what way did they "exceed" your expectations prior to auto tipping????

For non American cruisers the pre paid gratuities is part of the fare and is paid with the rest of the fare 4 months out from the cruise. So Carnival enjoy the interest for an extra 4 months, or in our case even earlier as I paid early.

I believe with American passengers it is put onto the S&S at or during the cruise. This was confirmed for us at the pursers desk as it did not show up on our account at any stage and we were also told that we could not vary them as we were from overseas.

We found the service from our regular staff ( room steward regular dining waiters) very good without any pre tipping etc. The only bad service was experienced from waiters in the Open Dining situation at breakfast and lunch on several occasions. Rudeness to other guests, surliness on the last breakfast, and forgetting parts of a meal.

David

On which Carnival ship did you witness this?? Shocking you are the first one to post this. Considering other posters on here have asked their waiter, steward etc... what size bra or underwear they wear :eek: surprisingly no one has asked about that.

This happens on board Princess Cruise ships. HAL started doing the auto tip as well and now Carnival and Cunard are doing the same. All these cruise lines fall under the Carnival Corporation as stated at:

http://www.worldsleadingcruiselines.com/home.asp

This happens on board Princess Cruise ships. HAL started doing the auto tip as well and now Carnival and Cunard are doing the same. All these cruise lines fall under the Carnival Corporation as stated at:

http://www.worldsleadingcruiselines.com/home.asp

This is a Carnival Board. So to answer my own question you did not witness this on a Carnival ship. From your own answer I question if you witnessed it any where.

Originally Posted by dforeigner viewpost.gif

I have personally seen this with the wait staff. You turn in the tip at the end of the cruise. The waiter will write your cabin number and turn in the envelope to the Maitre'D. In turn, the Maitre'D will check on a print out whether that cabin # left the auto tips in place or canceled them. If the auto tips were canceled, then the Maitre'D will keep the envelope. If the tips were left in place, then the Maitre'D will return the envelope to the waiter.

So I guess you have seen it on all Princess ships???:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I don't think pre-paying makes any difference on the service your receive. I have been on five cruises and prepaid tips on all my cruises. My service was wonderful on two cruises (can't say enough good things), then just fair on two cruises and downright horrible on one. The one was so bad I wrote about him on our comment card - everyone in our section was having problems (rooms not being cleaned at all for several days, never having ice filled). We added additional tips to those as we thought deserved them, what was really awful was that we had friends on their first cruise in the room next to us who experienced the bad "room steward".

That being said, I believe the service you receive is really all in who you are lucky to have assigned to you and how that person does their job. Do tips anyway that you are comfortable with, that's why they give you an option.

Sorry, but I disagree, a tip is not a guarantee, and whether someone decides to give it or not is up to them. It is inexcusable for the steward to have an "attitude" and has no right to expect that he would even be given a tip.

As to the rest of your comments, I do not understand WHY some people feel the need to berate other people about how to spend their money. A tip is a gift, if you are happy that your gift is nothing more personal than a debit to your sail and sign card, so be it. Other people may not like it to be that impersonal.

I guess you would be happier if it was called the AWS, "automatic wage subsidy" and not a tip, then the cruise line could let you know how much more to add on for the tip.

Cheers,

Peter

A tip is a gift, if you are happy that your gift is nothing more personal than a debit to your sail and sign card, so be it. Other people may not like it to be that impersonal.

I guess you would be happier if it was called the AWS, "automatic wage subsidy" and not a tip, then the cruise line could let you know how much more to add on for the tip.

Cheers,

Peter

I don't consider the tips to the steward and dining staff "gifts" - I consider it their payment for services rendered. NCL now calls them "service charges" and perhaps Carnival should do the same, so that people don't feel it's an optional thing. Unless you receive dreadful service, you should never remove the automatic tips IMO. And if you want to offer an additional cash tip, obviously you are free to do so.

Please lets not let this come to a disagreement. I just want honest opinions, no moral feelings or anything. PLEASE. Though I want to tip in cash, hubby wants to pre-pay tips so it will be one less thing to do. I see both sides, and to be honest I just want good service and nothing else matters. For the one's who have pre-paid tips, have you noticed any difference in service. Recently I have read a few reviews where it says people tipped in advance and did not get good service. I just want to know from the ones who have pre paid whether they felt like they still got the same good service as before. I will still bring a little money to tip extra like I would have anyway. It's hard to imagine getting any better service than we did on our first cruise. Our steward was always around if we needed anything. He was so polite and nice. We tipped him more than anyone on the cruise. He was amazing. I keep the room neat anyway, so other than replacing wet towels and emptying the trash can, there should not be much for the steward to do this cruise. (I had no idea that they came in your room twice a day on the 1st cruise. We were rushing getting ready for formal night and left our wet sandy swimsuits just lying on the floor with the towels. We only had 45 minutes for all 4 of us to get ready and showered! I felt horrible) Thanks for anyone who takes time to view this post and reply.

We prepaid our tips on our last cruise and the service was great, same as other cruises. It was nice to have a small bill at the end of our trip[we also bought drink coupons].

Just in my opinion, I have no problem doing the pay ahead of time tipping or putting it on my sign and sail card. It just seems easier that way. Also, I do not mind tipping if I am not cooking and cleaning,. Someone else is doing all of that for me for a whole week so I can sit back and relax and be on vacation. .Again, this is only my opinion. With my first Carnival cruise approaching though, here are a couple of questions if someone would not mind answering them for me. 1. If you did not book your cruise directly through Carnival but a travel site, can you still pre-pay and if so, how? What is the procedure? 2. How much do they charge per person per day for the tipping? On our NCL cruise last year, it was $10.00 per day per person (which did not seem like much at all so we did tip extra during the week!) That amount was put on our sign and sail card. What is the amount for the automatic tipping on Carnival? Thanks so much! Appreciate your help.:)

1. If you did not book your cruise directly through Carnival but a travel site' date=' can you still pre-pay and if so, how? What is the procedure? 2. How much do they charge per person per day for the tipping? On our NCL cruise last year, it was $10.00 per day per person (which did not seem like much at all so we did tip extra during the week!) That amount was put on our sign and sail card. What is the amount for the automatic tipping on Carnival? Thanks so much! Appreciate your help.:)[/quote']

You can call your TA and ask to prepay your gratuities. The only time we did this was actually the one time we booked through a TA rather than through Carnival, and it was no problem at all.

The tips are $10 a day with Carnival as well. If you don't prepay them, they show up on your sail and sign card.

Have a great cruise!

A tip is a gift,

If that were true, and I don't agree that it is, then the gift is supposed to be about the recipient, not the giver. If the recipient prefers the "gift" to be left on the S&S (with any extra given in cash) and the giver insists upon doing it a different way, then clearly, the giver is only concerned with making themself feel good and important. In my world, I tip because I want the person to know I appreciate a job well done. Therefore, I tip in the manner most appreciated by them.

I don't consider the tips to the steward and dining staff "gifts" - I consider it their payment for services rendered. NCL now calls them "service charges" and perhaps Carnival should do the same, so that people don't feel it's an optional thing. Unless you receive dreadful service, you should never remove the automatic tips IMO. And if you want to offer an additional cash tip, obviously you are free to do so.

You have a right to feel that way. But in reality a gratuity (or tip) is considered a gift, bonus, contribution, or a little something for service received. (you can look it up in any dictionary...but I won't go there)

Although the crew members rely on them to make a living....they are still considered tips, and a tip(gratuity) is left up to each individuals personal discretion. It doesn't matter if we like it or not.

Until Carnival changes it's policy and adds it as a service charge ( And I think they will) it still is left up to each individual on how they distribute their tips.

This is my first time pre paying gratuities, but my third time on the Conquest. I am going to take extra to give for just putting up with me! I do keep the room clean so the room steward does not have much to do, but there are times when I do ask for more, and I will have cash to tip extra.

There is no reason that you can not pre pay and then bring more for extra tipping. I looked at it to the fact that was 1 less thing on my onboard account, so I could buy more DOD!

It is easier on the pocketbook to have that part paid off and know that you can still tip more if appropriate.

I look at my S&S account and I only spend so much, so $70 less at time of boarding gives me more money to buy souviniers (sp).

I have only been on one cruise so my opinion wont mean too much. We did prepay tips and then when we first met the room steward on day 1, we gave him $20 and also on the last day we left him $25. Service was perfect the entire cruise. He even showed our boys how to make towel animals! I plan to add tips to our next cruise when I make final payment but will also tip extra in the beginning and if service was good, at the end also. Have a super cruise!

This reminds me of what a former member of CC used to say all the time...Include the tips in the fare. Does make sense doesn't it?

Why are the cruiselines trying to complicate it?Why the dance?I really can't think of a reason why not to include them that way they are all guaranteed their pay. The argument that service will decrease, I doubt as their supervisors could easily rectify any issue you might have.

Isn't the bottom line that they get paid?

The former members of whom you speak always had two problems. One that tips should be part of the fare and two that tipping in advance was wrong. Those two stances are impossible, one negating the other. And since the tips can be removed anyway, the tipping in advance wasn't true ever. Reading between the lines, it was obvious they were anti tipping in the first place. Right now we have two good choices, auto-tipping or pre-pay with final payment. Either is fine. We do auto-tips because I don't worry about credit card balances [they are paid off monthly] and second I don't let anybody use my money for free [pre-paid tips] Would pay the cruise fare on embarkation day if I had that choice, but that's not the case. As far as making it personal to the worker [the I want to tip in cash BS] that's easily accomplished. Leave the auto-tip in place and hand out extra cash with a "Thank You," and a handshake. If the service was so good that one must personally hand them the money, make it extra money.

And to those [and they are many] that think the tips are too high, like $280.00 for a family of 4 for a week, I say if that's more than you can afford. Then you are being financially irresponsible by cruising at all.

Dan

In my opinion, what does it matter? You can pre-pay the amount, or it is going to be automatically charged to your S&S. Either way, you're forced the $10 per person/per day. Room stewards and wait staff should still be putting their best foot forward in hopes of extra cash tips at the end of the week. I like to pre-pay my tips so I can pay on that before the cruise and have more money to spend on the cruise while I am on it.

Archived