Pre paid tipping question

mountaingurl

No, I don't think I have asked this question. I responded about tipping in cash only, at least that is what i think. I have never considered pre-paying tips before I cruised until hubby mentioned it last week. He is wanting to pay them off right now.

Yikes. Do people really question what you ask on this board? Sounds strange.

I don't consider the tips to the steward and dining staff "gifts" - I consider it their payment for services rendered. NCL now calls them "service charges" and perhaps Carnival should do the same, so that people don't feel it's an optional thing. Unless you receive dreadful service, you should never remove the automatic tips IMO. And if you want to offer an additional cash tip, obviously you are free to do so.

You can think of it in any terms you like, but it does not negate the fact that it is a gift and is quite optional. The cruise line is paying them for services rendered in the same way your employer pays you for your services. If you feel that an additional amount is warranted then that it is at your own discretion and is a gift.

Cheers,

Peter

If that were true, and I don't agree that it is, then the gift is supposed to be about the recipient, not the giver. If the recipient prefers the "gift" to be left on the S&S (with any extra given in cash) and the giver insists upon doing it a different way, then clearly, the giver is only concerned with making themself feel good and important. In my world, I tip because I want the person to know I appreciate a job well done. Therefore, I tip in the manner most appreciated by them.

The recipient of a gift has no control over the form, function or method of bestowing of the gift, as a gift is never expected or required.

Cheers,

Peter

One that tips should be part of the fare and two that tipping in advance was wrong. Those two stances are impossible, one negating the other. And since the tips can be removed anyway, the tipping in advance wasn't true ever.

How on earth do you come to that conclusion? Tips per say should not be part of the cruise fare, but should be raised to pay the employee a decent wage without passing the AWS onto the passenger. Tipping in advance is just pointless as no services have been rendered to justify a tip. They certainly do not negate each other.

Right now we have two good choices, auto-tipping or pre-pay with final payment. Either is fine.

There are more than two option, you can use the autotip, adjust it, eliminate it, tip in cash, not tip or prepay.

As far as making it personal to the worker [the I want to tip in cash BS] that's easily accomplished. Leave the auto-tip in place and hand out extra cash with a "Thank You," and a handshake. If the service was so good that one must personally hand them the money, make it extra money.

If they wish to do it that way it is not your place to tell them that they cannot do it. Do you often feel the need to run everyone's life?

And to those [and they are many] that think the tips are too high, like $280.00 for a family of 4 for a week, I say if that's more than you can afford. Then you are being financially irresponsible by cruising at all.

Whether they can afford it or not is their decision, not yours.

Cheers,

Peter

How on earth do you come to that conclusion? Tips per say should not be part of the cruise fare, but should be raised to pay the employee a decent wage without passing the AWS onto the passenger. Tipping in advance is just pointless as no services have been rendered to justify a tip. They certainly do not negate each other.

Had you not taken this phrase out of context, you might have understood what it meant. In context, I am against tips being part of the cruise fare and we do not tip in advance as the tips are adjustable and not actually charged until the cruise ends, therefore they are not in advance. As far as the cruiseline paying a decent wage is concerned, the workers are not forced to work on ships. They accept the jobs as presented. The crew other than the service workers do make normal maritime wages. Why are tips added to hotel and restaurant charges in England? Or are you just another anti-tipping type?

There are more than two option, you can use the autotip, adjust it, eliminate it, tip in cash, not tip or prepay.

The two options, auto-tips and pre-paid tips encompass all you said.

If they wish to do it that way it is not your place to tell them that they cannot do it. Do you often feel the need to run everyone's life?

When you are unable to do it yourself, its nice of me to help.

Whether they can afford it or not is their decision, not yours.

Again, out of context. I said IF THE TIPS make the cruise unaffordable. THEY ARE BEING IRRESPONSIBLE by cruising at all. I did not say that if they do not tip, they are irresponsible. In that case, they are just cheap screws.

Cheers,

Peter

Cheers,

Dan

Had you not taken this phrase out of context, you might have understood what it meant. In context, I am against tips being part of the cruise fare and we do not tip in advance as the tips are adjustable and not actually charged until the cruise ends, therefore they are not in advance. As far as the cruiseline paying a decent wage is concerned, the workers are not forced to work on ships. They accept the jobs as presented. The crew other than the service workers do make normal maritime wages. Why are tips added to hotel and restaurant charges in England? Or are you just another anti-tipping type?

That is true, they are not forced to work on the ships, and by definition we are not forced to pay a tip. What hotels and restaurants in England add a service charge, I do not pay them? I am anti-tipping, but that does not mean that I do not tip when warranted.

The two options, auto-tips and pre-paid tips encompass all you said.

You stated there are two options, I just pointed out that there are more than two, your list was incomplete.

When you are unable to do it yourself, its nice of me to help.

Wow, that is both pompous and presumptuous.

Again, out of context. I said IF THE TIPS make the cruise unaffordable. THEY ARE BEING IRRESPONSIBLE by cruising at all. I did not say that if they do not tip, they are irresponsible. In that case, they are just cheap screws.

Nothing out of context there, it is their money and they choose to spend it as they wish. Whether you think it fiscally irresponsible or not. You are not their keeper. In addition whether they tip or not is up to them.

Cheers,

Peter

Well no kidding Captain obvious. icon_doh.gif

Well you claimed to have witnessed something and then said it happens on Princess (not you witnessed it on Princess). Pointing out which board you were on as your post made you seem confused :rolleyes: .:p

Archived