Which night for PG?

Solo Cruiser

I will be sailing on the Westerdam in the Eastern Carib. My colleagues have bought me a dinner at the PG and I'd like to make reservations when I embark. I'd like to try and avoid booking the PG on either of the formal nights and think, after reading some menus that I could book on the night of the Dutch dinner. But which night would that be? Thanks to those of you who have experienced this itinerary and care to comment.

If you don't get a definitive answer---and even if you do, but want to double check---I suggest you ask when you make the reservation. I'm sure that information is available to the Pinnacle's Maitre d'.

I always checked the main dining room menu at lunch on the non formal nights and if I didn't see anything interesting I'd head over to the PG and make a rsvp. The cruise guides always say the demand to eat in the PG is high, but that has never been the case on any of my cruises. I don't think I've ever seen it full on any night of a cruise-even Dutch night which always seems to be on day 3 or 4, always mid-cruise before the farewell gala.

On Our recent Maasdam cruises, there were quite a few family groups, especially on the first cruise, and the there was hardly a night when they were not busy. The first week when we ate there one evening, there was a group of 26 there!!

Definitely stop by the Pinnacle when you first get on the ship and ask what night will be dutch, etc. Then make your reservation right away. One can never tell how busy it will get.

KK-

What did you order in the PG? If you said so on your threads I don't remember. Have they changed the basic menu at all or are there the same soups, salads, and sides as usual? What seafoods now- still the shrimp scampi and salmon?

And thanks again for the daily updates throughout your cruise. :)

Hi Peaches

The menu hasn't changed one bit. Even the specials are the same.

I alternated between the lamb chops and the petite filet for the entree. DH talternated between the filet and the salmon - he really loved it.

LOL. If we dined with you at the PG (which I hope we get to do sometime) we would make it easy for the steward. My DH alternates filet and lamb chops and I alternate petite filet and salmon. I used to have the occasional scampi night also, but after 1 luscious one and 2 very disappointing scampi entrees I now stay with the always wonderful salmon. I think it's time to bury some of the sides, don't you? I stick with the mushrooms and asparagus after watching DH try to peel the scalloped potatoes off the roof of his mouth one too many times. :D

We dined in Pinnacle at least 5 times on our recent cruises.

We enjoyed salmon, filet mignons, porterhouse, chicken marsala, lamb chops......he had some of this; she had some of that. :) I had the chicken and salmon and a filet mignon once.

ALL of those entrees were excellent. Superb! To MY taste. Hopefully to the taste of others. We think Chef Pierre Butt in Pinnacle is doing a great job. Also, each time we went, Roger was our steward and he is fabulous. Remembered from last June what our preferences were and every meal served by him was a delight.

Dutch Night? KK.....you remember a Dutch night on Maasdam? We do not. The closest thing was they had Nasi Goreng and pea soup on the menu one night.... and the beef brisket. That isn't Dutch night. Other ships may still have one but by our measure, Maasdam does not.

Peaches

I had the scalloped potatoes twice - once they were great, the seconde time they had way too much cheese and were very gooey.

DH had the mushrooms once and they were great - small button ones with a lot of flavor. One time DH order the Basmatii Rice with Wheat Berries -- all it lacked was the wheat berries. He said it was flavorful but lacked the berries he has on other cruises which he likes.

After reading all the disappointing reports about the shrimp scampi the last couple of years, we have never ordered it.

Sail - I posted this on another thread:

On our Maasdam cruises they had what they considered Dutch night. It has been a long time since the dining room was decorated in Dutch colors and they had the hats.

On some of the ships, Dover Sole is offered. But it wasn't on the Maasdam. Instead they had Pan Fried Halibut. This was the night for the Dutch Pea soup and and what they called a Dutch Favorite: "Brisket of Beef with Hodge Podge".

Archived