Airport In Anchorage

Diva Onboard

Yes, the only airport, unless, you are considering Fairbanks. :)

You need to allow at least 3 hours for the transfer to Seward. Only Hertz is available for a one way car rental, the Alaska RR is excellent, but only one train from the downtown depot leaving early morning. A few independent shuttle bus options and cruise contracted transfers.

I highly recommend you consider getting here at least a day early, so to enjoy the fantastic city of Seward. Loaded with wonderful touring options that aren't do not misses. :) Take advantage of being all the way there.

I highly recommend you consider getting here at least a day early, so to enjoy the fantastic city of Seward. Loaded with wonderful touring options that aren't do not misses. :) Take advantage of being all the way there.

I HIGHLY recommend that you get to Anchorage a day early for two reasons - 1) as BQ mentioned above, you can get a full day of touring in Seward the day your ship departs, but probably more importantly 2) you don't want to miss your ship. I was scheduled to arrive into Anchorage on Thursday August 23 at 2pm. Certainly I could have gotten to Seward the same day but guess what happened? Major flight delays and cancellations so I didn't arrive until after 8pm. If that had been the day my cruise were to depart, I would have missed it. Fortunately the cruise didn't depart until Friday so I was fine. But I would never plan on flying that far and arriving the same day as the cruise departure.

Having said that, you never said you were planning on arriving the same day. So this is just a confirmation that if you happened to be considering it, don't.

John

Take the Alaska Rail down to Seward!! It is a great informative trip and a restful way to travel... We ended our cruise in Seward and opted to take the late train so we could tour Seward!!

1) EXIT GLACIER-- as you get off the train go across the street to "the train wreck" they do shuttles for $9 (If I remember correctly) to the glacier where you will take a hike (an easy one) that will take your breath away!! you will actually get to walk on the glacier--- probably one of the best memories I have of my trip

You can see our pictures here: http://vickij.blogspot.com/2007/07/exit-glacier.html

2) Seeveys Ididarod training camp-- See the dogs and go for a ride... not a favorite tour of mine but my hubby and parents enjoyed it. And they are really nice people who do the tours.

3) Sea Museum-- If you have time go see it-- not a must do in my opinion.

We are on a cruisetour and consider our first day in as just a travel day. We overnight in Anchorage.

However, I have other family members that will be joining us for the cruise portion of our trip. Based on everyone's comments, I will definitely recommend that they come in a day early and overnight in Anchorage.

Is there a website for the Alaska rail? Since there is only one train in the AM to Seward, I would want to be sure that they take that train into Seward. I guess the other option, although a pricey one, would be to do a two night pre cruise stay through the cruiseline.

Keep your suggestions coming. I need all the help I can get planning this.

We are on a cruisetour and consider our first day in as just a travel day. We overnight in Anchorage.

Is there a website for the Alaska rail? Since there is only one train in the AM to Seward, I would want to be sure that they take that train into Seward. I guess the other option, although a pricey one, would be to do a two night pre cruise stay through the cruiseline.

QUOTE]

You may want to strongly consider coming in a full day early. Usually cruisetours, see very little of Anchorage, there is plenty. http://www.anchorage.net

Your "other option" of a cruiseline hotel stay is the biggest rip off the cruiselines offer and certainly not the only other option.

There are plenty of places to stay and it's simple to get back and forth with a cab or car rental. With them coming in separate from you, also suggest 2 days early and the train the day prior to Seward, a gem of a city with fantastic touring opportunities, especially worthwhile and superior to anything seen from your ship is a Kenai Fjords boat tour. Also, Exit Glacier, Seavey's Sled dog tour, Alaska Sealife Center, excellent fishing, plus much more. Take advantage of being there.

Take the Alaska Rail down to Seward!! It is a great informative trip and a restful way to travel... We ended our cruise in Seward and opted to take the late train so we could tour Seward!!

1) EXIT GLACIER-- as you get off the train go across the street to "the train wreck" they do shuttles for $9 (If I remember correctly) to the glacier where you will take a hike (an easy one) that will take your breath away!! you will actually get to walk on the glacier--- probably one of the best memories I have of my trip

You can see our pictures here: http://vickij.blogspot.com/2007/07/exit-glacier.html

Very nice photos of Exit Glacier! We opted to not wade through the water to get to the glacier. When we hiked to the glacier on a different trail - we stayed behind the rope, even though I could see a number of people in the distance who were much closer.

We're leaving out of Whittier. Any suggestions on transportation from Anchorage to Whittier. We are arriving the day before, but will go to Whittier the next day? There will be 5 - 7 of us.

You have the following options, cruise contracted bus, rail. Independent rail, independent shuttles, listings http://www.anchorage.net and one way car rentals through Avis.

With such a short time, as a suggestion, consider the one way car rental, at least you can get out and see and do some fantastic activities. There is no need to rush on the ship, getting through the 5:30pm tunnel is plenty of time to embark the ship and would allow you a full day of touring. Take advantage of being there, you are missing a great opportunity.

You have the following options, cruise contracted bus, rail. Independent rail, independent shuttles, listings http://www.anchorage.net and one way car rentals through Avis.

We took Alaskan Leopard Comedy Tours from Whittier to Anchorage airport. Think it was $54 per person. They stop at a glacier (no big deal to us after seeing tons on our cruise) plus a wildlife center before dropping you at the airport. I was quite happy with them.

Archived