Very few excursions to book?

skittl1321

I'm getting a bit stressed at Carnival- I cruise in january, which means final payment is due next month.

When I booked (February) my PVP said excursions would be available to be booked 180 days before the cruise- nope, none were listed.

Well now, they've finally listed a few- FOUR total, for one of three ports.

None else are up yet.

I am taking this cruise as a way to get to the places I want to go. Honestly the atmopshere on the ship is very little of why I want to cruise. We got a balcony cabin to be able to enjoy the ocean view- but I'm in it for the ports.

Has anyone else had this issue? From what I read- it's more common to have many excursions to chose from ahead of time- will we have to wait until we get to the ship to see what they might have available? With the exception of 1 port, we aren't comfortable making our own arrangements.

Is it likely that carnival will not offer most of the excursions that they advertise as "might" be available? Is it possible that very few excursions will be offered at all?

Why not research the ports you are going to and find tours on your own. You will like them better since they are less crowded and more personal. You will find great info on the ports boards. I always book my own stuff it's waaaayyy less expensive.

No clue what the delay is but keep your eyes peeled....we rarely book with the cruise ship but on this last cruise I needed to use them as a backup and everything was pretty much taken.

I would agree with others and research your ports of call and think about doing an independant operator. We have always gotten a better deal, more personalized service and always back to the ship on time.

the same thing happened to us with our RC cruise earlier this year, eventually, though, all the excursions got posted in plenty of time to book

we didn't book our most recent cruise (got off the ship yesterday) very far in advance so all the Carnival excursions were available when I checked

Do we need to have our whole cruise paid off before we are able to book excursions? I thought we didn't need to because they can just add it to your total bill, but my husband (who's been on more cruises than I have) says we do. But some of our excursions are listed and some islands aren't so I'm assuming I am right. Right?

Why not research the ports you are going to and find tours on your own. You will like them better since they are less crowded and more personal. You will find great info on the ports boards. I always book my own stuff it's waaaayyy less expensive.

As I said in my other post, with the exception of the one port we don't feel comfortable booking private excursions. This just has to do with amount of time in the port etc. Also- as there are only 2 of us, the private excursions we have looked into only save us a couple of dollars. Not worth the hassle of wondering if we will get off the ship in time to make it.

Which ship and what ports?

Carnival Spirit.

Acapulco has 4 excursions listed. Zihua and Manzillino do not have any availble yet.

We are not planning on booking an excursion for Zihua. We can probably handle acapulco on our own- but since it's a large city we'd rather use the ship. Manzillino the excursion we would like to do is quite a drive, and we will only use the ship's excursion- if it ever becomes available.

We're going on the Liberty in January and they don't have all of our excursions out yet either. My guess is they're waiting to see if a hurricane hits those islands so they don't have to cancel anyone's excursion. But I would like it if they would hurry up and get them out!

That makes me feel a bit better- at leat it's not my computer glitch!

However, January is close enough now that I'd like to get some planning done!

As I said in my other post, with the exception of the one port we don't feel comfortable booking private excursions. This just has to do with amount of time in the port etc. Also- as there are only 2 of us, the private excursions we have looked into only save us a couple of dollars. Not worth the hassle of wondering if we will get off the ship in time to make it.

Yikes sorry. I didn't see your other post so I had no idea of your feelings. I'll just shut my mouth now and go away. Please accept my humblest apologies.

Do we need to have our whole cruise paid off before we are able to book excursions? I thought we didn't need to because they can just add it to your total bill, but my husband (who's been on more cruises than I have) says we do. But some of our excursions are listed and some islands aren't so I'm assuming I am right. Right?

No we haven't paid our cruise in full and we have purchased 1 excursion - we cruise the end of Jan and have very few to choose from but I believe it is because they don't have all the contracts with the excursions figured out yet for the new year.

That makes me feel a bit better- at leat it's not my computer glitch!

However, January is close enough now that I'd like to get some planning done!

I know how you feel! I want to book my excursion for Tortola. That's the only island I care to do a Carnival excursion. (because it's the only island there is anything like it). I just keep looking everyday to see if it's up yet and its not:(

Not trying to be smart here, but prehaps there are not too many excursion options in Acapulco due to the ongoing violence between the drug lords and the government. Most of what I've read say that the tourist (beach) area is safe but not to venture away from there. I know nothing of the other ports.

Like a poster said earlier it probably has to do with the excursion contracts for 2008.

But just for future reference: cruiselines DO NOT guarantee ports and can substitute "comparable" ports. So booking for ports is not a good idea.

Like a poster said earlier it probably has to do with the excursion contracts for 2008.

But just for future reference: cruiselines DO NOT guarantee ports and can substitute "comparable" ports. So booking for ports is not a good idea.

Well going to the ports individually by land would be an expensive nightmare- so a cruise is really the only way to go. I don't care if they substitute ports, or even if we miss a port- but if the ship was not to stop anywhere- I would never cruise. While I'm sure it will be entertaining- I don't have much interest in the ship, I have interest in it going somewhere.

Everyone I know has cruised as a way to get somewhere- be it alaska, specific islands in the carribbean, places in Asia, or in my case different cities in mexico- so it's not an unusual thing to book for ports.

Yikes sorry. I didn't see your other post so I had no idea of your feelings. I'll just shut my mouth now and go away. Please accept my humblest apologies.

Debbie- I didn't mean to sound rude in my post- just that I know there are a lot of independent travels here, who frequently point out that those of us sticking with ship excursions are 'wasting our money'. I've never seen anything but kind posts from you on the board- so no apolgies needed at all! (By other post, I meant the one that opened this thread- however, I guess it could have been missed if you just skim :))

I didn't mean to say you couldn't book for a certain area, I just meant that it's not a good idea to book for specific ports.

There have been countless threads from folks who say their cruise was ruined because they didn't get to visit X port.

I didn't mean to say you couldn't book for a certain area, I just meant that it's not a good idea to book for specific ports.

There have been countless threads from folks who say their cruise was ruined because they didn't get to visit X port.

Yep- I've seen them, and I'm prepared. It won't ruin my cruise if we don't hit a specific port- but in ports I'd like to have things to do!

As for the 180 vs 120 days- I think that might be it. I'm at 119 today- and the acapulco excursions have all been added since I posted this. So we have something to do there now. Hopefully the other two ports will be added soon (and not hit by this pacific hurricane that seems to be heading their way)

I am sorry this is stressing you out. I can understand the frustration as you were led to believe you would be able to select and book your excursions by now. There have been several threads about this lately, so, if it is any consolation, you are not alone in your frustration. Considering this is a money maker for Carnival, it is reasonable to believe they will offer you a choice of excursions for your cruise, and most likely before you board the ship.

Until they are available for you to book, spend your time (if you have not already) researching your ports on the ports of call boards here on cc. Even if the experiences being shared are for private excursions rather than Carnival's, you can learn about the port and the types of activities that appeal to you. Have you looked at what excursions Carnival says may be available? I think you can do that if you find your cruise on the Carnival site through the "find a cruise" option and click on "view excursions." (I am having to do that for my April Freedom cruise.) That way you will have good idea what you want to book when they become available. I don't know if this link will work for you but this is what I found doing this. http://www.carnival.com/Itinerary.aspx?embkCode=SDG&itinCode=SDC&durDays=8&sailDate=1/1/2008&shipCode=SP&sailingID=42830&subRegionCode=MR&rateCode=BCA

Hope everyone looking for excursions will be able to book them soon!:)

Just got off the phone with a carnival excursions rep. because I was becoming concerned that there were only two excursions showing up for St. Martin and four for St. Thomas and we sail in 75 days. She said not to worry and that more excursions will be added and I just need to keep checking. She said it may be as long as October before they show up and that the only way to book the excursions is via the Carnival website or when you arrive at the ship. That made me feel a little better. I will just research what is usually available for the ports and hope one of them shows up.:)

Archived