QM2 what was wrong ?

rvcastle

I just returned from the Labor Day cruise to Halifax.

My question is what happened to the QM2 service ? The room steward never came in to meet us and answer our questions about the room and what we wanted in the room. Two nights the room was not even turned down. I was really shocked.

In the Britannia the waiters tried, but did not seem to want to remember what each passenger commonly ordered. Things had to be requested several times (like a glass of iced tea).

The "cafeterias" on the 7th deck were very confusing and usualy mobbed. They were not open at the same time, and when I checked the menus on the QM2 tv, the Britannia menues matched, but the 7th floor places were not even close, we chose the carvery one night because of an excellent menu and then when we got there it was a buffet and the menu items were not in the buffet.

The one hour wait in line to check in on the pier was very poorly done.. It needs a lot ot attention by Cunard management.

I have been on the QE2 and the service was wonderful with none of these problems.

I was just unimpressed on my first QM2 cruise.

Roy Castle

Unless you were in Britannia Club or higher level, the service was lacking. We lucked out with a good cabin steward, perhaps because we were on Deck 11.

I'd say half the crew smiled and said hello while the other half were rather dour.

We were on RCCL's Explorer of the Seas last week and the service was wonderful. Of course, we had to put up with the crowds and some really rowdy kids (about half rowdy and half well behaved).

We're still going to try QM2 next July up to Canada/New England. One more chance.

All I can say is that we were on this very same cruise last year.

Our cabin steward was marvelous. We even chatted some. He was on the famous (notorious?) QE2 cruise when the rogue wave hit and told us the story from his perspective. Our dinner staff (Britannia) we marvelous. they laughed and joked with us, and got extra tips from us all. We even were greeted by our waiter from January who remembered us! He chatted with us and caught us up on his pending wedding to his fiancee! Our bar servers were loads of fun, chatted us up, did extra things for us,We had a great time with them! Can't say there was a bad one in the bunch!

I can only say it may well be the luck of the draw!

I have no other way to explain it!

Sorry you experiences were not stellar.

Karie,

who has never had poor service on any Cunard trip!

I was also on this sailing. The wait at the terminal to board was by far the LONGEST I have ever spent in line and I have sailed many times on almost every major line. Truly unacceptable in my opinion. We waited over an hour and a half. I have no problem standing for extended periods but many seniors had to endure this and it is not necessary. The understaffing is shameful here and in many areas.

The ship was beautiful, clean and our stateroom fabulous. We reserved a D6 inside but were lucky enough to find an unused handicap cabin that was massive (by ship standards).

The dining room was lovely but extremely understaffed. If you think I'm kidding imagine your wine steward clearing your table to help the waiter and assistant. This is the cruise line making every staff member work to maximum capacity at the expense of the traveler. It was painfully obvious here and again, unacceptable in my opinion. Our waitstaff could hardly spare a second to chat.

Roy did you use the spa? I did have a treatment but would have been very upset if I had paid $30 to use it. Steam rooms, reflexology basins, sensory showers etc. were not functioning properly. This needs severe maintenance. Here the people manning the locker rooms had way too much to do. I am sorry to say the facility was not up to expectations though the massage was enjoyable. I also appreciated the free exercise classes(most lines charge for classes as long as these). That was a pleasant surprise.

I loved the ship and cruise overall but I think these folks are gambling on just how badly we want to experience the QM2. Celebrity could teach them a few lessons on guest to staff ratio. I felt the help did all they could do in the circumstances and never met anyone with a sour attitude toward a guest despite their work load. That was nice. MY room stewardess, Jeanette, was excellent.

I don't think two days more onboard would cure the above mentioned problems with this line and a shorter itinerary does not excuse them. Waiting for embarkation, broken spa facilities and overworked crew seem to be the standard according to contract employees I spoke with. I hope they straighten up and start serving all the guests. I doubt they can survive with only P's and Qs.

Fun CC group at Commodore's.

I can only say it may well be the luck of the draw!

I have no other way to explain it!

Karie,

who has never had poor service on any Cunard trip!

Whenever I feel the teeniest bit stressed over a post, you magically appear and say something that makes it all better.

Thank you, Dear Karie :)

Maybe the lack of service has to do with the " short cruise" , which of course should not be the case. I had a short cruise on board QE 2 three years ago. I came back from a Celebrity Cruise then and still had the great service in mind. So I was really dissapointed with the " Cunard White Star" Service.

I can´t wait to baord the Queen Mary 2 next January- for a ten day cruise- so I will see what happens!

Michael

Uh oh ....

Sound's like the dreaded "short cruise curse". :eek: :(

HA! I was going to say the same thing but Mr. 'Vic' beat me to it. What is wrong with Cunard on these short cruises? What is up with the "it's a short cruise, and the "WE DON'T CARE, WE'RE MAKING MONEY ON IT" attitude? HELLO, MARLOW?... ARE YOU OUT THERE? Well, are you?...

Heavens, Cunard is winning customers at the same rate it is losing them!

Whenever I feel the teeniest bit stressed over a post, you magically appear and say something that makes it all better.

Thank you, Dear Karie :)

Ah! You flatter me! Thank you! (blush, blush!)

I honestly tell the truth. I have never had a bad experience on my six Cunard trips. We always try to make the best of whatever comes our way, Have had NO problems with the purser (as some have reported) but we always approach staff a little differently than many, and try to put ourselves in their shoes. We take the time to learn a bit about or staff (which obviously one cannot do if they never get to meet them!) and I have to say that the reason these bad experiences are news is that they do tend to be the exception to the rule. Of course, our expectations on Cunard are much higher than for some other lines.

I honestly have not had any bad experiences. We've had one or two over the course of time who may have not had time to chat or been a bit less outgoing, and usually you can tell when they are harried, and you give them a little more leeway and try not to hold them up.

I feel terrible about the posters who had bad experiences. Maybe we have just been very lucky. But as I said, I think it is news because it IS unusual. Bear in mind, there were some 2590 other passengers on that ship whom we have not yet heard from. Hopefully, the vast majority of these had more acceptable treatment. I can't speak to the spa facilities,. I have never used them. But plan to do so, most likely in October.

I hope we will get a few more reports once everyone gets some rest and is able to sit down and compose a review!

I'm waiting to hear Rich's, Angelas (and Pauls), Ed and Sandy's, and a few more who are likely to give us their views!

Hey! Someone wake Angela and tell her we are waiting! I don't care HOW much real champagne she had and HOW much sleep she didn't get for four days! There are priorities, you know!

And casshew, I was going to mention the tour guide you used in London that you had such a marvelous time from to Cusyl on her thread about what to do in London! I think your experience over there might benefit her family situation very well, if it isn't too dear! I was very impressed with your experience and have him bookmarked!

I'll have to look it up for her!

Karie,

who tries to see the good. it is so much more pleasant. (And I am not doubting the other posters' experience at all, or suggesting their attitudes in any way colored that! Just that we have been very lucky every time!)

we always approach staff a little differently than many

topless? :D

I hope we will get a few more reports once everyone gets some rest and is able to sit down and compose a review!

I'm waiting to hear Rich's, Angelas (and Pauls), Ed and Sandy's, and a few more who are likely to give us their views!

Yes, I'm looking forward to them too, my cruise is not until next summer but reviews help the time pass :)

And casshew, I was going to mention the tour guide you used in London that you had such a marvelous time from to Cusyl on her thread about what to do in London! I think your experience over there might benefit her family situation very well, if it isn't too dear! I was very impressed with your experience and have him bookmarked!

Yes, Harry Norman was really wonderful, professional, fun, informative, treated us so well. We have him booked again for next summer, he is meeting us when we disembark in Southampton :)

I guess we lucked out. We had a great girl for our stateroom. She was near perfect. Our waiters tried hard although they were alittle overwelmed at times.

Other than that, we had agreat time on board with no complaints except for one with Commordore Rudeness but I won't get into to it here because I know what will happen.

Ed

I guess we lucked out. We had a great girl for our stateroom. She was near perfect. Our waiters tried hard although they were alittle overwelmed at times.

Other than that, we had agreat time on board with no complaints except for one with Commordore Rudeness but I won't get into to it here because I know what will happen.

Ed

Commodore Rudeness? ok I'll ask who/what is that? Thanks...

BTW I was on the last year's Labor day cruise which had terrible weather but a great time....

Hi, sorry to hear you had a bad experience on your cruise to Halifax. I was on the TA finishing in NY ahead of the Halifax leg & we had great service, interaction with our Room Steward, no problems in Britannia - all in all a fantastic time, for which I have no complaints (well except for the aberration that is the Kings Court).

My only observation would have been that the (mainly British - yep, sorry, but they were) staff in the shops were rather sullen & involved deeply in their own conversations each time we went in there, but all other staff were polite, respectful and friendly. I can't imagine why this changed right on the next trip.

We also used the spa which was fully functioning - no problems either technically or with the service. The locker rooms were fresh & clean, with a smiling attendant.

Perhaps Cunard allow a number of the staff to take days off during the short trips or something? It didn't appear understaffed during the TA.

I have never taken the short 'getaway' cruises, but from all the posts I've read, they aren't working out well. I've avoided these cruises because I didn't want to see the frenzy of passengers trying to fit a week's worth of eating/drinking/partying into a few days (which was a friend's impression of the Memorial Day cruise). I like a less frantic schedule.

I've always had great experiences on Cunard, and it saddens me to hear so much bad feedback. I wonder if staff are less attentive because they figure there won't be any additional tips on such a short trip? Or becasue they figure these are short-hoppers who won't be back for longer runs, so why bother courting their good opinion?

Someone else mentioned that Cunard might be giving staff a few days off. I hadn't thought about that possibility, but it seems unlikely. The only way that would save money for Cunard would be if it was unpaid leave, and I doubt their contracts allow that.

Whatever the cause, I think Cunard needs to take a hard look at these short runs and find ways to make them work better. A lot of people use short cruises like these to check out a line they've never been on before. It isn't good for Cunard if people walk off the ship saying 'NEVER AGAIN!!!'

Kathy

I also wonder if the service issues are a result of leave for these holiday cruises. The only bad reviews or reports seem to happen after the weekend holiday cruises and most complaints revolve around service issues - too few waiters, overworked room stewards, etc. If the proceeding week's TA was excellent with no similar complaints then something along those lines must be happening.

These really aren't that much shorter - 4 days vs 6 for a crossing.

I understand that the shorter the cruise, the higher the proportion on multi occupancy.

Hence the restaurant is moving towards full 1300 covers.

Club (all twin cabins) and Grills don't have such severe problems.

Then add together the week in four days brigade (Angela - I can see you :D ) and you have scope for difficulty.

Matthew

Archived