WHAT??? No Casual Nights in the Dining Room?

Jaycue52

We just received our cruise documents from our travel agency today, and while reading throgh them, I saw something extremely interesting. We will be on a 7-night Eastern Caribbean cruise, and supposedly, there are "two formal nights and five smart casual nights". Wow! I've never been on a cruise that didn't have three or four casual nights during a 7-night cruise. Is this just a misprint, or has HAL gone less casual?:eek:

HAL recently introduced the Smart Casual designation ... their website and, likely, your docs suggest what is appropriate. Trousers (like Dockers) and shirts or sweaters for men and dresses or skirts or trousers with blouses, sweaters or tops for the ladies. I believe the guidelines also indicate what is not acceptable, such as swimsuits, shorts, etc.

Prior to this change, HAL had formal, informal and casual nights ... now they call the non-formal nights Smart Casual.

Smart casual is the same HAL casual. The word smart may have been added to help clarify the meaning of casual. (Casual to me meant nice jeans, very casual slacks, shorts, tees, casual tops. Fortunately I read and asked questions on dress code before we cruised. We learned cruise casual is a dressier casual and dressed appropriately. Unfortunately some people just see the word casual and dress as they wish.)

As others have indicated Smart Casual is the same as Casual in the dress code of the past. It simply distinguishes between what some cruise lines consider Casual (jeans, etc.) and the HAL Casual which is a bit dressier casual.

I have searched multiple boards, but haven't found the answer to this question....as we are leaving in 36 days for our very first cruise (15 days to Hawaii) I would appreciate any help you can provide.

If you choose to enjoy dinner on the Lido deck what is the dress code? Is it still the "country club" or "smart" casual? Or is it more informal?

I have searched multiple boards, but haven't found the answer to this question....as we are leaving in 36 days for our very first cruise (15 days to Hawaii) I would appreciate any help you can provide.

If you choose to enjoy dinner on the Lido deck what is the dress code? Is it still the "country club" or "smart" casual? Or is it more informal?

Depends on your definitions of '"country club" or "smart" casual' :D

There's what I call 'hope I don't meet anyone I know' casual - tatty pants,no make up etc. when I didn't expect to have to go anywhere!:rolleyes: but have to dash out for unexpected company arriving within the hour.....I'd call that 'more informal'!

For me at least it never fails! Someone you haven't seen in years appears! I'd definitely wish I was at least wearing a decent pair of pants, taken time to brush my hair, maybe even put on some lipstick! Is that 'more informal'?:confused:

We just received our cruise documents from our travel agency today, and while reading throgh them, I saw something extremely interesting. We will be on a 7-night Eastern Caribbean cruise, and supposedly, there are "two formal nights and five smart casual nights". Wow! I've never been on a cruise that didn't have three or four casual nights during a 7-night cruise. Is this just a misprint, or has HAL gone less casual?:eek:

"Smart" casual is casual.

Formal should also be called "dumb formal." :)

Blue skies ...

--rita

Although we have yet to eat dinner in the Lido, we have passed through while dinner was going on.

There didn't seem to be any dress code enforced there - have seen people in shorts there as well.

And there really shouldn't be ... other than, of course, men having a shirt on, no bathing suits without a cover-up, etc.

The Lido is the very casual venue ... it's where people go specifically because they don't want to bother getting "gussied up" for the dining room. So, of course, all manner of dress will be seen in there. That's totally appropriate.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Hi all,

I pulled this from another thread just in case anyone had a question about dress code in the main dining room. Formal nights are still formal but I guess you can wear jeans every other night. (We'll probably still wear smart casual though.)

Norwegian Cruise Line got a lot of attention when they announced that their policy now officially allows jeans to be worn for dinner in the dining room. We thought they were the only ones officially allowing it - until we checked as part of CND article we were writing for today's issue. Frankly, we were surprised at the lines that say jeans are ok. Here's a list for quick reference:

Updated Aug 10, 2007:

• Azamara - no jeans
  • Carnival - jeans are ok but not encouraged
  • Celebrity - no jeans
  • Costa - jeans are ok except on formal nights
  • Crystal - jeans ok on casual nights, not formal or informal nights
  • Cunard - no jeans
  • Disney - jeans ok except on formal and certain theme nights and never ok in Palo's
  • Holland America - jeans are ok except on formal nights
  • MSC Cruises - no jeans
  • Norwegian Cruise Line - jeans are ok
  • Princess - jeans are ok except on formal nights
  • Royal Caribbean - jeans are ok except on formal nights
  • Seabourn - jeans are ok except on formal nights
  • Silversea - jeans are ok except on formal nights

All of the lines require the jeans to be neat, clean and presentable, and they cannot have holes or tears. Many lines also had some wording in their policies about being neat and clean. Remember too, that this survey was about dinner in the main dining room. All lines indicated jeans were ok during the daytime.

The information was verified by each line's official spokesperson, but is subject to change.

"Smart" casual is casual. Formal should also be called "dumb formal." :)
Hehe... but seriously, I do object to how many people actually interpret it that way to some extent (despite, perhaps, their claims to the contrary). What I mean by that is that I find, at least for men, most (though not all) of the "formal" clothing worn on formal night is "dumb": repetitive, uniform, without character. I find it often says nothing about who the person is -- that it is almost like a costume or a whole-body mask, obscuring the uniqueness of the individual. I find that almost as disheartening than a baseball cap in the dining room.

What I'd really enjoy is if there was a rule enforced that barred entry to the dining room to anyone who is not wearing at least one significant piece of clothing (shirt, pants, jacket, vest [optional], and for the wimps, I'll include the tie, but that's it), that is wholly unique from that worn by anyone else already in the dining room. :) :) :)

So has anyone actually been on a HAL cruise since the switch to "smart casual?" DH and I are going on a 12-day Panama Canal cruise next April--so there will probably be what, 3 formal nights? On the "smart casual" days, I was thinking that I would wear things like skirts/pants with dressy tanks/sweaters, but should I expect that there will be a lot of people wearing jeans? DH might be relieved, but I actually like to dress up a little!

So has anyone actually been on a HAL cruise since the switch to "smart casual?" DH and I are going on a 12-day Panama Canal cruise next April--so there will probably be what, 3 formal nights? On the "smart casual" days, I was thinking that I would wear things like skirts/pants with dressy tanks/sweaters, but should I expect that there will be a lot of people wearing jeans? DH might be relieved, but I actually like to dress up a little!

I think you'll be just right. You're describing what I wear on casual or "smart casual" nights (they are the same thing). Most women will be dressed exactly as you're describing - I usually wear nice pants or a skirt with a nice tank top or sweater, sometimes a sundress (as opposed to a "dressy" dress). There are always a few in jeans, which if fine by me. I dont wear them because I dont find them as comfortable as some of my other clothes in the hot weather. You'll probably find less jeans/T-shirts on your 12 day Panama Canal than you would on a 7-day Caribbean. What you're planning to bring sounds exactly right to me :)

Smart casual = elegant casual = country club casual

Just in case there are any more questions .... ;) :cool:

And what does "country club casual" mean pray tell? Or am I one of the rare few who isn't even sure what a country club is ?

Jocelysue from a "nation" where English is not the main language, and who wonders whether a country has only one club or not.

And what does "country club casual" mean pray tell?

How about a "put together" outfit? Does that make more sense to you? Co-ordinates? Mix and match?

Think of an outfit that's a bit dressier than daytime casual that you'd wear to the grocery store.

Does that help? (I wish I could say it in French for you, mais non ;) .)

Archived