WHAT??? No Casual Nights in the Dining Room?

Jaycue52

MadelineRose - in looking closer at your 1st two photos, I see the more casual look in them (the fabrics) and, yes, I can see wearing them at Smart Casual. At first I took them to be much more elaborate. What I see here at CC's are mostly nice capris and tops and some "gauzy " (spelling?) or cotton full skirts with tops. .

Golfette...no, the fabrics are cotton jersey or cotton jersey/spandex. No, there's no silk, etc. I also think the gauzey things would work. In other words, I do not interpret tees and shorts of any length to mean "ccc/smart casual". I would wear pics 1, 2, 5 & 6 to a high end restaurant here. I can only think of 2 Baltimore restaurants where a jacket is still required attire for men, although most men would wear them anyway. ;)

I see these clothing posts so often and usually avoid them but this one and the comments about jeans seems so odd that I have to join in.

First of all, I wouldn't wear denim blue jeans to a nice restaurant and I don't wear them to dinner on a cruise. I like to dress up a little and for me that's part of the fun. But I don't care what others wear and am not at all offended by those who choose to dress either more formally or less formally than I dress. I'm always baffled when I see someone's comment that they felt 'overdressed'. I don't understand why you would be concerned. If you want to wear it and it feels good, then flaunt it and enjoy it! If you are the only person in the room with sparkles on your shirt, then stand under the lights and let it shine.

I wore jeans constantly throughout my college years and I guess I've never felt the need to leave them behind. For me, they are the ultimate in comfort and as natural to put on as my watch. Only for yard work or hiking? I spend most of my life in jeans - some are nicer than others, but they are always the first thing I reach for. I don't mean anyone any offense when I wear them and don't think other jeans wearers do either. I don't think this is a West Coast or East Coast or Midwestern or Texas thing, either. I've lived in most of those places and people my age (mid-50's now) wore jeans. It's not a sign of wealth, or class, or politics, or education level or social status. It's just jeans.

I'm curious to know if the jeans-phobia is age related but I don't want to ask your ages! At one point in history, blue jeans were a working class item, then they became almost a symbol of rebellion and in the 90's moved into high fashion. Their manufacture and styling was uniquely American for a couple decades until the fashion designers 'discovered' them. But now they are just jeans. Worn everywhere and with the right accessories, accepted (just about) everywhere. How can they continue to offend?

Solstice, I'm 39, and I don't find jeans offense at all; they are still my usual weekend fare. However, like you said "I wouldn't wear denim blue jeans to a nice restaurant and I don't wear them to dinner on a cruise." I just wish that everyone had the common sense to see it this way, but some people don't. So, if you want to have a nice dinner in a nice restaurant, I think you need to specifically say "no jeans allowed."

(Btw, I went to a bridal shower a country club this past spring, and on the invite, it specifically mentioned that the club did not allow jeans. Personally, I would not wear jeans to something like a shower anyway, but people do these, days--that's the point.)

According to luxury portfolio.com, there are now only 2 restaurants in NYC that require a jacket and tie for entry. This same information has been confirmed by Zaggat and we are not talking about fast food establishments. Jeans are accepted everywhere.

Sounds to me like HAL and an overwhelming majority of cruise lines, at all price points, are responding to what their passengers want and are used to in land based restaurants.

Only a handful of mainstream cruise lines continue to ban jeans in the dining room on casual evenings:

Azamara

Celebrity *

Cunard

MSC

Regent

* Based upon the endless threads on the X board, Celebrity does not consistently enforce this.

I do not allow what other people wear impact the enjoyment of my cruise.

- hammybee

who does not wear jeans on a cruise

A Californian speaking up here--jeans are not the "height of fashion" in our state. There are still the majority of us that dress up when going to a nice restaurant or dining room on a cruise ship. California get tapped for lots of trends/ideas, but can't lay this one on us.

I don't care what you wore.....jeans, nice linen pants, beautiful silk ensemble.

What I am interested in is .... Were you aware HAL has a dress code when you booked your cruise? Did you read the Know Before you Go booklet HAL sends with our documents and read about the dress code in that booklet? Did you consider what that code is and what were your thoughts about the fact you booked at cruise ship which had a dress code? Did you ever consider whether you would abide by their stated dress code?

My reason for asking is to wonder how HAL may be failing in letting cruisers know about their code. Do people know about it and ignore it or were they genuinely and sincerely in the dark about it?

What I was responding to was the last sentence of a remark that I wasnt quite sure how to take. The remark was regarding NOT understanding why people wear jeans on vacation. I did a double take on that one. Its vacation, people!! Lighten up!!! I have to dress according to other peoples standards all week long at work, but on my hard earned vacation, I will dress how I please. Vacation equals relaxation....is that not so?

But to answer your questions: Yes, Yes, Yes....we did read everything made available to us. We read it, and we agreed: we were going to Alaska, not the Prom (I have already been flamed for the "prom" remark once before, but so be it) and since this was OUR VACATION, we would dress how we felt most comfortable.

We DID NOT enter the precious dining room with our jeans on. We thoroughly enjoyed the Lido and felt most comfortable there. The few times we entered the dining room (once for breakfast and twice for dinner) I wore what I wear to work (I believe the label is smart casual) and believe me, I wasnt happy about it....but I did it because I had read the literature and knew what was expected of me. Again, we never planned on attending formal nights because we read the dress code and knew it wasnt for us.

I hope that answers your questions as to whether HAL makes their statements clear enough. It was clear enough for us to understand, and we made the choice that while we wanted to sail HAL due to the itinerary, we didnt care enough about the dining room expectations to let it ruin our cruise. So we packed enough jeans for 7 days, ate where we were most comfortable, and had a great time! And I am sure the other people who packed 7 days worth of formals had a great time, too. The Noordam was beautiful.

Shari

I see these clothing posts so often and usually avoid them but this one and the comments about jeans seems so odd that I have to join in.

First of all, I wouldn't wear denim blue jeans to a nice restaurant and I don't wear them to dinner on a cruise. I like to dress up a little and for me that's part of the fun. But I don't care what others wear and am not at all offended by those who choose to dress either more formally or less formally than I dress. I'm always baffled when I see someone's comment that they felt 'overdressed'. I don't understand why you would be concerned. If you want to wear it and it feels good, then flaunt it and enjoy it! If you are the only person in the room with sparkles on your shirt, then stand under the lights and let it shine.

I wore jeans constantly throughout my college years and I guess I've never felt the need to leave them behind. For me, they are the ultimate in comfort and as natural to put on as my watch. Only for yard work or hiking? I spend most of my life in jeans - some are nicer than others, but they are always the first thing I reach for. I don't mean anyone any offense when I wear them and don't think other jeans wearers do either. I don't think this is a West Coast or East Coast or Midwestern or Texas thing, either. I've lived in most of those places and people my age (mid-50's now) wore jeans. It's not a sign of wealth, or class, or politics, or education level or social status. It's just jeans.

I'm curious to know if the jeans-phobia is age related but I don't want to ask your ages! At one point in history, blue jeans were a working class item, then they became almost a symbol of rebellion and in the 90's moved into high fashion. Their manufacture and styling was uniquely American for a couple decades until the fashion designers 'discovered' them. But now they are just jeans. Worn everywhere and with the right accessories, accepted (just about) everywhere. How can they continue to offend?

I try to avoid these too but for some reason the whole "dress code" gets me. Its the rebel in me, I guess. I hate "labels" and the process of having to "conform" to other peoples ideas as to what is right.

Anyway, a California girl here.....just turned 50....other than the MANDATORY work clothes, nothin but jeans in my closet. Summer I accessorize with flip flops, in the winter with my Uggs.....how can you go wrong?

Haven't been kicked out of a restaurant yet...and no, I don't hang out at Denny's or McD's.....we have several outstanding steak houses here where you would look absolutely ridiculous in anything other than jeans (not that I would sit and snicker, but hey.....)

Shari

... Yes....we did read everything made available to us. We read it, and we agreed: we were going to Alaska, not the Prom ... and since this was OUR VACATION, we would dress how we felt most comfortable.

We DID NOT enter the precious dining room with our jeans on. We thoroughly enjoyed the Lido and felt most comfortable there. The few times we entered the dining room (once for breakfast and twice for dinner) I wore what I wear to work (I believe the label is smart casual) and believe me, I wasnt happy about it....but I did it because I had read the literature and knew what was expected of me. Again, we never planned on attending formal nights because we read the dress code and knew it wasnt for us .... we made the choice that while we wanted to sail HAL due to the itinerary, we didnt care enough about the dining room expectations to let it ruin our cruise. So we packed enough jeans for 7 days, ate where we were most comfortable, and had a great time! ... Shari

Good for you, Shari! I think you did exactly the right thing - you wore what you felt comfortable in, but you also fully accepted that this meant dining in the Lido. And you had a great time, which is the most important thing!

I don't mind dressing up, but my DH absolutely will not wear a tie, and certainly not on vacation. I can get him into a buttondown shirt and "nice" chinos, but that's as far as it goes. So we're planning to eat dinner via room service on formal nights, and that's fine by me.

Good for you, Shari! I think you did exactly the right thing - you wore what you felt comfortable in, but you also fully accepted that this meant dining in the Lido. And you had a great time, which is the most important thing!

I don't mind dressing up, but my DH absolutely will not wear a tie, and certainly not on vacation. I can get him into a buttondown shirt and "nice" chinos, but that's as far as it goes. So we're planning to eat dinner via room service on formal nights, and that's fine by me.

Thanks for the kind response. I can't tell you how scary it is to read some of these posts and realize that some people think that if you wear jeans, you must not know how to read !!:)

Unfortunately, I read a LITTLE TOO much.....some stuff I must find a way to cut out....such as silly remarks about those of us who own stock in denim !!

Shari

Shari - I'm with you. We are soon-to-be 1st time HAL cruisers (booked in May) and the vehemence contained in these dress code threads continues to surprise me. I know I'll be flamed for this, but from some of the postings on the subject you'd think "The Code" was sent directly from heaven. I believe the point most of us "nonbelievers" are trying to make is simply to lighten up a bit on the subject - it's not life or death, but simply a vacation.

The majority of us will either dress appropriately or eat in the Lido etc. We are not trying to ruin your vacation by appearing dressed in (horror!) blue jeans and baseball caps in the DR. Those very few who do can't be enough for all this excessive emotion on the subject:confused: ?

I look at the dress codes the same as the right of any company to set policy in their business. If a sign on a restaurant door says "No shirt, No shoes, No service" I don't think I have the right to go in w/out a shirt and demand to be served. If a movie theater says "No cell phones on during the movie" they have the right to kick you out if you disturb other patrons talking on your cell. If you don't like it go to another restaurant or theater. Management always has the right to set policy and I have the freedom to go where I like the policy.

I look at the dress codes the same as the right of any company to set policy in their business. If a sign on a restaurant door says "No shirt, No shoes, No service" I don't think I have the right to go in w/out a shirt and demand to be served. If a movie theater says "No cell phones on during the movie" they have the right to kick you out if you disturb other patrons talking on your cell. If you don't like it go to another restaurant or theater. Management always has the right to set policy and I have the freedom to go where I like the policy.

Well said and I agree :).

I chose cruise lines, resorts and restaurants based upon my preferences. I appreciate those that maintain standards overall, including proper dress.

These anti dress code folks like to say that it is the rest of us who make the rules, thus ignoring the fact the cruise lines make them for a reason. Choosing to ignore them to dress as one wishes indicates a lack of respect and taste, IMO.

Shari - I'm with you. We are soon-to-be 1st time HAL cruisers (booked in May) and the vehemence contained in these dress code threads continues to surprise me. I know I'll be flamed for this, but from some of the postings on the subject you'd think "The Code" was sent directly from heaven. I believe the point most of us "nonbelievers" are trying to make is simply to lighten up a bit on the subject - it's not life or death, but simply a vacation.

The majority of us will either dress appropriately or eat in the Lido etc. We are not trying to ruin your vacation by appearing dressed in (horror!) blue jeans and baseball caps in the DR. Those very few who do can't be enough for all this excessive emotion on the subject:confused: ?

If I had read half of this "jeans" nonsense before our cruise, I would have been scared to death to step on board!! Thank goodness I didn't.....

I guess what bothers me is that I have never, ever indicated that my husband and I set out to "break the rules". I dont think I have read any posts by anyone who came right out and said they have. What I AM reading is that people are not "into" dressing up, but that being said, they ARE following the rules. Somewhere along the line people are missing something. I keep running into comments about "following the rules, etc". It's like we walked onto a ship that had a huge banner that said "Noordam, Fashion Cruise Ship of the World" and snubbed our noses at it.

I don't know why those of us who DON'T LIKE DRESSING UP aren't afforded the courtesy of being allowed to be who we are. As long as (AND HERE IS THE IMPORTANT SENTENCE) we don't disregard the rules, why can't we be on the same ship? I have never once said we don't abide by the rules. I have indicated that I think they are silly, but I abide by them. And I think its even sillier to be told to sail a different cruise line. Or read the brochures.....etc.

I'm glad to find someone who seems to think like me! Its a little hard around here, doncha think?:D

If I had read half of this "jeans" nonsense before our cruise, I would have been scared to death to step on board!! Thank goodness I didn't.....

I guess what bothers me is that I have never, ever indicated that my husband and I set out to "break the rules". I dont think I have read any posts by anyone who came right out and said they have. What I AM reading is that people are not "into" dressing up, but that being said, they ARE following the rules. Somewhere along the line people are missing something. I keep running into comments about "following the rules, etc". It's like we walked onto a ship that had a huge banner that said "Noordam, Fashion Cruise Ship of the World" and snubbed our noses at it.

I don't know why those of us who DON'T LIKE DRESSING UP aren't afforded the courtesy of being allowed to be who we are. As long as (AND HERE IS THE IMPORTANT SENTENCE) we don't disregard the rules, why can't we be on the same ship? I have never once said we don't abide by the rules. I have indicated that I think they are silly, but I abide by them. And I think its even sillier to be told to sail a different cruise line. Or read the brochures.....etc.

I'm glad to find someone who seems to think like me! Its a little hard around here, doncha think?:D

Neither one of you has ever said you would disregard the rules. To the contrary, you have both always said you would dine somewhere else on nights that jeans aren't allowed in the dining room, or that you would dress up (even though you don't enjoy it).

Some of us do hear you. :)

THANKS!!

SHARI

Shari and Carolyn - Thank you. Shari your last post says it very well. We've always been ready to follow the "rules," never thought of not doing it, but all this carrying on about Codes, rules, etc. just gets my dander up (whatever "dander" is).

What I was responding to was the last sentence of a remark that I wasnt quite sure how to take. The remark was regarding NOT understanding why people wear jeans on vacation. I did a double take on that one. Its vacation, people!! Lighten up!!! I have to dress according to other peoples standards all week long at work, but on my hard earned vacation, I will dress how I please. Vacation equals relaxation....is that not so?

But to answer your questions: Yes, Yes, Yes....we did read everything made available to us. We read it, and we agreed: we were going to Alaska, not the Prom (I have already been flamed for the "prom" remark once before, but so be it) and since this was OUR VACATION, we would dress how we felt most comfortable.

We DID NOT enter the precious dining room with our jeans on. We thoroughly enjoyed the Lido and felt most comfortable there. The few times we entered the dining room (once for breakfast and twice for dinner) I wore what I wear to work (I believe the label is smart casual) and believe me, I wasnt happy about it....but I did it because I had read the literature and knew what was expected of me. Again, we never planned on attending formal nights because we read the dress code and knew it wasnt for us.

I hope that answers your questions as to whether HAL makes their statements clear enough. It was clear enough for us to understand, and we made the choice that while we wanted to sail HAL due to the itinerary, we didnt care enough about the dining room expectations to let it ruin our cruise. So we packed enough jeans for 7 days, ate where we were most comfortable, and had a great time! And I am sure the other people who packed 7 days worth of formals had a great time, too. The Noordam was beautiful.

Shari

I really like your post, and am glad that you had a great time. I 'specially liked your characterization of the "precious dining room."

A very articulate, well-thought-out post! Thanks!!

I have to voice my opinion on this subject and remember this is my opinion only. Anyone can dress as they like. Whatever you decide to wear during your vacation will not ruin my vacation...(unless it's smelly and you happen to be sitting next to me)

Although it does not specifically state that jeans are not allowed, come on people, jeans should not be worn in the Main Dining Room or the Pinnacle Grill. If you go out to dinner in a fancy restaurant in your hometown, don't you dress up a little? Granted you're on vacation, but isn't this vacation special for you? Are dress slacks and a shirt too much? A pair capris and top too much? I just don't understand why people wear jeans while they are on vacation...maybe they are planning to go hiking or do yard work right after dinner.

The dress code does not exclude jeans on Smart Casual evenings.

Therefore, your opinion of what everyone "should" or "should not" wear is nothing but preaching your personal opinions. The "hiking and yardwork" blather is simply that, blather.

Therefore, your opinion of what everyone "should" or "should not" wear is nothing but preaching your personal opinions.

Which, of course, Palm Beacher has every right to, and to do.

The "hiking and yardwork" blather is simply that, blather.

Which is "preaching" your "personal opinion".

Archived