WHAT??? No Casual Nights in the Dining Room?

Jaycue52

Ah Sheri - you put your finger on the important points! You went to dinner with your son & his fiancee & you remembered what you talked about. Not what they wore. Really, people, except for the fact that we obviously have too much idle time on our hands what are we arguing about?:rolleyes:

I just DON'T pay that much attention to what people wear (or don't wear for that matter). We went out to dinner with my son and his fiancee last night and for the life of me, I can't tell you what either of them wore, but I could sure tell you what we talked about!!!:D

Shari

Shari I'm the same way. I have to look at photos after an event to see what people were wearing. I just don't pay that much attention to what people wear (unless it's SO unusual nobody could miss it). But I always remember what we talked about ;) I would probably never notice if someone wore something several times unless it was an extremely unusual outfit.

Folks,

I confess I have not read all 5 pages of this thread but hope you can still indulge a person who is only on this interesting forum occasionally. Let me state my bias: we liked the old, "formal, informal, casual". On formal nights my wife dressed up and I put on either a tux or dinner jacket. Informal meant for me a blazer or sports jacket, with tie sometimes. Informal for me meant a nice shirt, and if cool enough in dining room, even a jacket with slacks. My wife always has excellent taste and dresses accordingly.

Our cruise last Spring, two Caribbean 7 days combined on Westerdam, was the first experience with formal and casual only. As I had already packed my jackets, I still wore them, and my wife still wore her dressier clothes. We are going on the circle Hawaii cruise in Nov, and as this is a longer cruise with perhaps a less family oriented group (We travelled during Spring break, unwittingly, last spring!) my thoughts/hopes are that despite the official changes people on this cruise, at this time, may still dress to a slightly dressier standard?

My wife has enough clothes sense to know what to do. This question is mainly for me, and is related to how the men are dressing in the main dining room for dinner. For our upcoming cruise, I would, before the changes, as there still are 4 formal nights (the rest now all "smart casual" according to the ticket information) bring both the tux and dinner jacket and alternate them with various cummerbunds, vests, bow ties (yes, I am a clothes horse and cheerily admit it) but do not want to be so far out of place/step as to look ridiculous. Also, if all the guys are dressing down, so will the ladies, and I do not want to dress better than my wife! I would also like to take two jackets: one navy blazer that can be easily dressed up or down, and one lightweight jacket that also be coordinated with cotton slacks.

With the changes is that all overkill? Too much? Drop either the tux, dinner jacket, both, and only go with the two jackets (how dull!). Packing is not a concern this time as I am using points and we are in bizz. class, with the larger weight allowance. We are also at a table for two in the dining room, and the Zaandam for this cruise still has the set times, so we are at the 8 pm main upper dining seating.

Frankly, I miss everyone dressing up for dinner--as one would when going to an upscale eatery at home. The ladies get a chance to wear their sparklies, the guys shine up well and it is a change from what we see during the day, on tours, or at the pool deck. But, the change is upon us so, what are the ideas/advice as to how to adapt? Or, should I just be defiant and wear it all, and take the risk of being laughed at?

Many thanks in anticipation.

On cruiser.....Providing you have no problem with weight I would take all the outfits YOU think make you feel at your best. No one can ever look to smart.

I do not wish to give the impression that most people did not " dress up ". They did. My point was that on casual night, casual was interpreted by a minority as very casual indeed.

Its your cruise ....wear your best stuff....and enjoy yourself.

Others , I assure you...will be doing their thing ....and dressing down as much as they like.

I have searched multiple boards, but haven't found the answer to this question....as we are leaving in 36 days for our very first cruise (15 days to Hawaii) I would appreciate any help you can provide.

If you choose to enjoy dinner on the Lido deck what is the dress code? Is it still the "country club" or "smart" casual? Or is it more informal?

Dinner on the lido deck was just about come as you are on our Alaska cruise tour. There was nothing smart or casual about anyone's dress. What I saw was swim suits to almost formal wear. :)

Dinner on the lido deck was just about come as you are on our Alaska cruise tour. There was nothing smart or casual about anyone's dress. What I saw was swim suits to almost formal wear. :)

One has to be careful in compairing a 7-day Alaska Cruise with a 15 Day cruise to Hawaii, round trip out of San Diego. They're two completely different passenger-bases, with radically different kinds of itineraries. On the Hawaii cruise -- this one being a 15 Day cruise in late October/early November -- the age range will be higher, more passengers will be past-cruisers, and there will be agreat sense of formality throughout the ship, particularly on Sea Days (of which there are 10 -- yes, TEN -- on a 15 day Hawaii Cruise). In Hawaii all nights are "Hawaiian Casual," and it's a great place and way of dealing with the port-intensive portion of such a cruise. For the 5 days in-transit to Hawaii and the 5 days in-transit back to the mainland, however, there are (usually, but not always) 2 Formal Nights each way. Passengers may not be as prone to dresing all the way down to bathing suits during dinner in the Lido.

I just DON'T pay that much attention to what people wear (or don't wear for that matter). We went out to dinner with my son and his fiancee last night and for the life of me, I can't tell you what either of them wore, but I could sure tell you what we talked about!!!:D

Shari

Enjoying converstion and noticing clothing are not mutually exclusive.;) I happen to love clothes and fashion both and I could actually tell you what everyone at our table wore on formal night on my April cruise on the Oosterdam. I always notice fabulous outfits and I also people who look like they wandered into the dining room by mistake, thinking it was a roadside diner.

Just because some of us enjoy dressing up and being around others who share those sentiments (therefore choosing lines where is a good percentage of compliance to the dress code) does not mean we are any less into great conservation and enjoying the company of others.

Just because some of us enjoy dressing up and being around others who share those sentiments (therefore choosing lines where is a good percentage of compliance to the dress code) does not mean we are any less into great conservation and enjoying the company of others.

I don't think anyone was implying that those who like to dress up aren't into great conversation. :confused: The point was that some people notice fashion and attire more than others do, and some care more about what others are wearing than others care. I think it's wonderful that you're into fashion and conversation, I'm sure you aren't the only one. :D I like to dress up, but I could care less what others are wearing. :)

I don't think anyone was implying that those who like to dress up aren't into great conversation. :confused: The point was that some people notice fashion and attire more than others do, and some care more about what others are wearing than others care. I think it's wonderful that you're into fashion and conversation, I'm sure you aren't the only one. :D I like to dress up, but I could care less what others are wearing. :)

I'd like to go on the record that I am NOT into fashion:p Now, conversation is something entirely different!

I chose cruise lines, resorts and restaurants based upon my preferences. I appreciate those that maintain standards overall, including proper dress.
That's a good idea, though since Holland America permits jeans, are you suggesting that would make sense that folks who don't want to see jeans cruise another cruise line? :confused:

Why if you wish to dress like that would you not eat in the casual dining room ? Better still in your cabin !
I would never dress like that, but I can project what I believe is the reason that people eat in the dining room: Service. One of the great joys for folks cruising in the fine service that they get in the dining room.

Also, I suspect that folks who dress in a manner other than how you and I dress would ask us why we change clothes before dinner on casual nights, given that it is not necessary. We do it because it makes us feel more comfortable. Which is probably the reason why they don't change clothes. Both are therefore appropriate.

I did not think I would find under dressing would be a bother to me, but I did. It turned a night out to dine into more like a trip to Macdonalds. I have another cruise with Hal in Dec. and have already paid other wise i would cancel. I find this degree of being "casual " too much for me.
I understand that some of the more expensive cruise lines tend to have dress codes requiring more formality, even on casual nights, than affordable cruise lines like Holland America.

I totally agree! This is why I think that if HAL is going to continue "smart casual," they need to issue of what is NOT permitted, including shorts, jeans, sweats, and non-collared shirts for men. I really don't think those simple guidelines are too much to ask!!!
As someone who wouldn't wear shorts, jeans, sweats or non-collared shirts, I doubt either of us are qualified to say whether it is "too much to ask". It is so easy to cast-away some aspect that you don't care about but that, perhaps, others do care about.

Shari......You are a female. There is NO WOMAN on the planet who would not notice if one of her table mates had an outfit on at dinner, then on a tour, then at the quiz, then at dinnner the next night, then next day by the pool, and yes you have guessed, dinner again.
To be fair, I'll wear some article of clothing again, if I only wore it for a couple of hours previously. I wear shirts and pants, typically, for 8-12 hours a day, so don't have any concern about wearing something a second time, if I have only worn it a couple of hours previously, and is still presentable and appropriate for what I am wearing it for.

Waste not, want not. teacher.gif

Packing is not a concern this time as I am using points and we are in bizz. class, with the larger weight allowance.
And that really points out one of the reasons for these changes. More folks cruising these days are looking for affordability, and paying the cost of business class, or the extra cost for excess luggage, doesn't contribute to affordability, nor does having to engage the ship laundry to bridge the gap.

But, the change is upon us so, what are the ideas/advice as to how to adapt? Or, should I just be defiant and wear it all, and take the risk of being laughed at?
I suspect few folks will really care whether you're dressed up a bit more formally or not. And those that do aren't worth being bothered about. Wear what you feel comfortable wearing, as long as it complies with the stated dress code.

That's a good idea, though since Holland America permits jeans, are you suggesting that would make sense that folks who don't want to see jeans cruise another cruise line? :confused:

I have seen jeans on every line that I have cruised over the past several years and it is really irrelevant whether the cruise line's dress code permits it as people do what they please. :( Only on HAL have I seen the dress code enforced and that was prior to the new changes.

If folks want a traditional atmosphere with enforced dress codes, it appears that Cunard is one of the only lines who can deliver. Crystal used to strictly enforce their dress code but posts on their board indicate otherwise.

IMO, HAL is still a step above the other mass market lines in many ways but is succumbing to the pressures of competition by choosing to allow jeans at dinner in the main dining room. It is the first step to further erosion IME and shorts, sweats and ball caps are sure to follow, just as they have on RCI and Celebrity.

I have seen jeans on every line that I have cruised over the past several years and it is really irrelevant whether the cruise line's dress code permits it as people do what they please. :( Only on HAL have I seen the dress code enforced and that was prior to the new changes.

If folks want a traditional atmosphere with enforced dress codes, it appears that Cunard is one of the only lines who can deliver. Crystal used to strictly enforce their dress code but posts on their board indicate otherwise.

IMO, HAL is still a step above the other mass market lines in many ways but is succumbing to the pressures of competition by choosing to allow jeans at dinner in the main dining room. It is the first step to further erosion IME and shorts, sweats and ball caps are sure to follow, just as they have on RCI and Celebrity.

Thank you for this statement.

Every time it has been suggested to me to try a different cruise line, I have wondered why the person so offended doesnt take their own advice!;)

Shari

Queen of Jeans:)

Enjoying converstion and noticing clothing are not mutually exclusive.;) I happen to love clothes and fashion both and I could actually tell you what everyone at our table wore on formal night on my April cruise on the Oosterdam. I always notice fabulous outfits and I also people who look like they wandered into the dining room by mistake, thinking it was a roadside diner.

It has already been said, but I will reply myself: in no way was I implying that one can't enjoy fashion AND a conversation at the same time. What I am saying is that I PERSONALLY do not care, nor do I notice, what someone else wears to dinner. It does NOT make or break my dining experience, and yes, I admit, I have a hard time understanding why it affects some people the way it does.

Sometimes the roadside diners offer a whole lot more entertainment than a stuffy old dining room:)

Shari

To be fair, I'll wear some article of clothing again, if I only wore it for a couple of hours previously. I wear shirts and pants, typically, for 8-12 hours a day, so don't have any concern about wearing something a second time, if I have only worn it a couple of hours previously, and is still presentable and appropriate for what I am wearing it for.

Waste not, want not. teacher.gif

I would imagine that almost everyone an a cruise wears the same clothes more than once.

The point I was making when I wrote

" one of my table mates had an outfit on at dinner, then on a tour, then at the quiz, then at dinnner the next night, then next day by the pool, and yes you have guessed, dinner again. "

The point I was making was that someone had the same outfit on at ALL times, including every evening dinner, well into the 4th day. My contention was I did not believe even the person I addessed my post to who said she never noticed what people wore, would have eventually noticed that. !

Thank you for this statement.
It wasn't a statement -- just a question... but you're welcome anyway. :)

Every time it has been suggested to me to try a different cruise line, I have wondered why the person so offended doesnt take their own advice!;)
That is a good point. It does seem that the door swings both ways.

And what does "country club casual" mean pray tell? Or am I one of the rare few who isn't even sure what a country club is ?

Jocelysue from a "nation" where English is not the main language, and who wonders whether a country has only one club or not.

They do play golf north of the border, right? Country club is a golf club that has a restaurant and social activities.

jc:D

Archived