What exactly is Pol Acker?

Traveler Nina

I've googled Pol Acker. Turns out he's the Dutch Transport Minister. Big on bikes. And dykes, obviously. But arn't we all.

I like whisky. With whisky in it. I like the one no one can spell that sounds like Boonahaven. But is spelt bhgtrwqqqquhjklkljkjljjkhaven in that entrancing and bloody stupid gaelic way. Or Bowmore - slips down like a virgin's nightie (apparently - blimey where did that come from). But I always feel guilty buying malt (please explain to Americans that there's no such thing as "Skatch", and no such thing as "single malt") because people are starving and because the way I drink it would be an insult to the Gods who make it, and the God from whose tears it is made. Today I bought "Grants" which tastes like the pee of the Ork people but does the job.

I like whisky

It likes me

The more I drink

The les I pee

I like whisky

It does me good

And tends to obviate

The need for food.

I like whisky

I know when to stop

When the bottle's empty

Or when I drop.

I've no idea who Jimmy Buffet is, but I bet he wishes he wrote that.

I have seen it mentioned many times on this board as something like a sparkling grape juice mixed with mouth wash. Is it alcoholic? A champagne knock off? Thanks, just want to know what to expect!

Hello Nina,

In order to answer your original question "What exactly is Pol Acker?", the answer is that it is merely a 'blanc de blanc' still wine with carbon dioxide added in order to give it effervescence. Whatever Cunard may call it, it is certainly NOT a Champagne - not by any stretch of ones imagination!

"Blanc de Blanc" is a French phrase meaning "white wine from white grapes." The term originated in France's Champagne region (where most champagnes are made from a combination of the white Chardonnay grape and the red Pinot Noir grape), to describe champagne made entirely from Chardonnay. Blanc de blancs are usually light and delicate. The term also refers to still wines.

True champagne is expensive not only because it's made with premium grapes, but also because it's made by the 'Méthode Champenoise'. This traditional technique requires a second fermentation in the bottle, as well as some 100 hand operations (some of which are now mechanised using modern production techniques). Today, some champagne makers mix as many as thirty to forty or more different base wines to create the blend, or cuvée. Most major champagne houses strive for a cuvée that's consistent from year to year.

As for the taste; well, when referring to champagne, the opposite of "dry" is "sweet", but in the case of Pol Acker, the opposite of "sweet" is certainly "sour". My personal description of its non-distinctive taste is that it is not too far removed from a blend of paint stripper and rocket fuel!

Regards,

David

Hello Nina,

In order to answer your original question "What exactly is Pol Acker?", the answer is that it is merely a 'blanc de blanc' still wine with carbon dioxide added in order to give it effervescence. Whatever Cunard may call it, it is certainly NOT a Champagne - not by any stretch of ones imagination!

"Blanc de Blanc" is a French phrase meaning "white wine from white grapes." The term originated in France's Champagne region (where most champagnes are made from a combination of the white Chardonnay grape and the red Pinot Noir grape), to describe champagne made entirely from Chardonnay. Blanc de blancs are usually light and delicate. The term also refers to still wines.

True champagne is expensive not only because it's made with premium grapes, but also because it's made by the 'Méthode Champenoise'. This traditional technique requires a second fermentation in the bottle, as well as some 100 hand operations (some of which are now mechanised using modern production techniques). Today, some champagne makers mix as many as thirty to forty or more different base wines to create the blend, or cuvée. Most major champagne houses strive for a cuvée that's consistent from year to year.

As for the taste; well, when referring to champagne, the opposite of "dry" is "sweet", but in the case of Pol Acker, the opposite of "sweet" is certainly "sour". My personal description of its non-distinctive taste is that it is not too far removed from a blend of paint stripper and rocket fuel!

Regards,

David

Thank you David for your very detailed answer, I have never tasted paint stripper or rocket fuel but if it is anything like liquid potpurri ( a curious child's act still forever cemented on the tongues memory) I will take your word for it.

....now back to the Carnival board....

Hello Nina,

Regards,

David

Wow you guys sure know a lot of stuff. So do I. I know a lot about..

Wow you guys sure know a lot of stuff.

I like this board. Thank you for taking me in. Tell me if you get fed up of me. Obviously, that will make it even better. :p

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Tell me if you get fed up of me. Obviously, that will make it even better. :p

Happyscot,

I believe it would be impossible for anyone ever to get fed up of you.

Mind you, I also believe that Scotland are going to win the rugby world cup..........

:) :)

Jimmy

RMS Carpathia was a Cunard Line ocean liner built by Swan Hunter & Wigham Richardson. Carpathia began its maiden voyage in 1903 and became famous for rescuing the survivors of RMS Titanic after it sank on 15 April 1912.

Cruise ships operate on a mostly set roundabout course (i.e. they tend to return to their originating port) whereas ocean liners are defined by actually doing ocean-crossing voyages, which may not lead back to the same port for years

RMS Carpathia was a Cunard Line ocean liner built by Swan Hunter & Wigham Richardson. Carpathia began its maiden voyage in 1903 and became famous for rescuing the survivors of RMS Titanic after it sank on 15 April 1912.

Cruise ships operate on a mostly set roundabout course (i.e. they tend to return to their originating port) whereas ocean liners are defined by actually doing ocean-crossing voyages, which may not lead back to the same port for years

Wow Trock!!!

you've just taken "thread drift" into a completely new dimension. This is "thread quantum leap" of the highest order. :p:):D

Jimmy

I like this board. Thank you for taking me in. Tell me if you get fed up of me. Obviously, that will make it even better. :p

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

...patiently (not!) waiting for the next installment of the murrrrdurrr saga...

What's the matter? Have you run out of Pol Acker? (The real drink behind his writing madness/genius depending on how you look at it)

Now then Ladies and Gentlemen, may I present you with a prime example of the effects of drinking (too much) Pol Acker!

David.

In order to answer your original question "What exactly is Pol Acker?", the answer is that it is merely a 'blanc de blanc' still wine with carbon dioxide added in order to give it effervescence.

David - I thought that as well. But when I examine my 3 year old bottle it says it undergoes "A slow secondary fermentation". This I take to mean that yeast is the source of the fizz - although I'm fairly sure it's not done in the bottle.

Tell me if you get fed up of me. Obviously, that will make it even better. :p

HS - I'm truly fed up with you:mad: Go away:p

David - I thought that as well. But when I examine my 3 year old bottle it says it undergoes "A slow secondary fermentation". This I take to mean that yeast is the source of the fizz - although I'm fairly sure it's not done in the bottle.

Malcolm,

Well it just goes to prove that you are never too old to learn. I was simply going on how our sommelier on a previous voyage described the PA, which was "A very ordinary blanc de blanc with Co2 added to give it a fizz". He also added that it cannot be called a champagne, as it is not made by the 'Méthode Champenoise'.

Now then, this is probably where I went wrong in assuming that if it was not made thus, then those little bubbles must simply be made by injecting Co2 (as manufacturers do with fizzy lemonade drinks). If it states on the bottle that a secondary fermentation gives it the fizz, then I guess that this must be correct. Still tastes lousy though!

By the way Malcolm, what on earth are you doing keeping the stuff for three years? Surely you can afford a proper drain cleaner!

Regards,

David

Many years ago we toured a winery in the Finger Lakes (NY state) and they explained the 'bulk process.' I think there's a method of fermenting under pressure in a vat and the bottling under pressure, so the bubbles are the result of fermentation, but the fermentation does not happen in individual bottles. More efficient, no turning of the bottles, etc. But not a superior product.

Also, I believe the name 'champagne' can only be used for sparkling wine produced in the champagne region of France. I don't think fermented in the bottle is the defining characteristic, although I would expect that all true champagnes are fermented in the bottle.

Kathy

David - I thought that as well. But when I examine my 3 year old bottle

You SAVED that swill for 3 YEARS????:eek: 3 YEARS???

Does it glow in the dark after that long???:p

Cheers, Penny

Penny’s Affair to Remember QM2 Review

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

November 10,2007...the “Affair” continues....

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Don't you dare leave Happyscot...we haven't had this much fun around here since QM2 lost that pod in that silly little mishap that caused all those formerly nice people to act like raving maniacs....:rolleyes: Ahhh, but I digress....

And when ARE you going back to the Murrrdurrr...does it have a happy ending? Does it even have an ending?

Are you from the same planet as the rest of us??Just asking mind you....;)

Cheers, Penny

Wow Trock!!!

you've just taken "thread drift" into a completely new dimension. This is "thread quantum leap" of the highest order. :p:):D

Jimmy

I concur!! Where did this come from?? Did I miss something?? I got all caught up in the "Murrrdurrr":eek: :rolleyes:

Cheers, Penny